Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Brents to IR

John Waylon

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I think CB and DT are at the top of the list for next seasons draft. Safety and maybe TE up there as well.

No more draft. Go get some proven players. Ballard has not been good at drafting corners. So next year he says these guys need  to play to grow and there is no movement forward. It’s time to move forward and make progress.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t hate our players. What I do hate is this team has a GM who didn’t plan correctly  when it was very obvious. We have a guy like Bryan who is not good taking a roster spot that could have been for some insurance in the secondary.  How many years have fans said he screwed up and after the season he is apologizing. This was malpractice. It’s probably the worst decision he has ever made. You have Texans in this division who are great at passing. This is how you handle the secondary. No depth was beyond dumb. Your not winning a division operating like this.

Nah, you clearly hate our players. How else do you explain that you think the team is stupid for allowing them to play on gameday? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think CB and DT are at the top of the list for next seasons draft. Safety and maybe TE up there as well.

I kind of agree with Chloe about acquiring a proven CB rather than drafting one. Eight years in, Ballard hasn't drafted a single NFL cornerback who became a consistent NFL starter. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Year after year there are football things that Chloe just can't understand.

So how about one game and a Total Meltdown 😁 

You have served your purpose, now it's time for you to go on board IR (IGNORE).

Rest well 🙏 

What was your prediction for total wins this season? Have you cut it in half after today's completely devastating news?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Nah, you clearly hate our players. How else do you explain that you think the team is stupid for allowing them to play on gameday? 

This has been an ongoing theme season after season. Things don’t go the way fans demand them to and then go vomit posting out of control any time something happens. 

• Like 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

I kind of agree with Chloe about acquiring a proven CB rather than drafting one. Eight years in, Ballard hasn't drafted a single NFL cornerback who became a consistent NFL starter. 

It'll depend on how well AR looks at the end of the season probably. Is our window open? Then yes, we probably need a veteran.

Interesting so if we were in Ballards office.
we have a list of CBs say there are 180 cbs on active rosters another 90 ish on practice squad Roughly 270 nfl / practice Squad players ahead of those we just tried out

is the thought that they are better than what we have or pot luck, a diamond in the rough or, a body to fill the void 

obviously we have I believe 4 on PS who management feels are ahead of them so best we can hope for is a PS addition If it’s more than that then we had roster building issue and if it turns out to be a better player Ballard  will get praised for finding him See Moore and Rodger

the league is built on positivity not negativity 

always trying to upgrade fix problems not dwell on things that’s for some fans 

ps I scream at the tv every game Wife keeps reminding me that they don’t hear me Hasn’t change in 39 years of marriage

52 minutes ago, krunk said:

What are you talking about here Chloe? They will start Flowers and probably call up that Veteran corner from the Giants we signed on the PS. No big deal really. Then you got Jaylen Simpson behind that.  You turning crumbs into bricks to me. Flowers was better than Brent's at least PFF wise pre injury. Next man up

Yeah, what he said. And they are some veteran cbs out there that could help out.

Football is a violent game and these things just happen sometimes. I don’t think there will will be a single team without a season-ending injury to a significant player. And every fan base will want to know why it always happens to them.

24 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

Plenty of players suffer injury concerns in their rookie season and he still played 9 games........but again....the secondary being awful last season isn't anything to do with Brents getting an injury game 1

The secondary being awful last season had plenty to do with many people thinking the Colts should upgrade its talent and depth. It's not fair to blame Ballard for the injury, of course, but he should still be held accountable for the CB play the rest of the season - no excuses because of the injury. Hopefully, it's better than some of us expect. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have said I was good with our starters. But you have to have insurance because Brent’s can’t stay healthy and flowers was coming off an injury. Plus if it didn’t work you better have a plan b.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Wonder if he’s already had some kind of contact…

They signed him to the PS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The secondary being awful last season had plenty to do with many people thinking the Colts should upgrade its talent and depth. It's not fair to blame Ballard for the injury, of course, but he should still be held accountable for the CB play the rest of the season - no excuses because of the injury. Hopefully, it's better than some of us expect. 

Was the secondary play better than you expected in the opener?

Hate it for JuJu, but Ballard needed this. Dude needs to stop being so * arrogant and set in his ways. We're already playing backups in the secondary, and now we're adding another.

This defense is * cooked already.

Good job, Ballard. Good job.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have said I was good with our starters. But you have to have insurance because Brent’s can’t stay healthy and flowers was coming off an injury. Plus if it didn’t work you better have a plan b.

How many Plan B's do you think you can have on a 53 man roster?

Weren't you basically calling Ballard stupid for relying on Nick Cross as a starter, like 3-4 weeks ago? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just don't think anyone needs to be raked over the coals for it. It's not anyone's fault that he's hurt.

If there's any raking, it should be over what happens next. If the backup or backups at CB suck, it's on Ballard. But if the backup or backups are pretty decent, he'll deserve kudos for sticking with his plan in the face of persistent questions.  

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

If there's any raking, it should be over what happens next. If the backup or backups at CB suck, it's on Ballard. But if the backup or backups are pretty decent, he'll deserve kudos for sticking with his plan in the face of persistent questions.  

If anything sucks, it's on Ballard. I have no problem with that. Can we see if it sucks first, though? 

• Like 1

Ballard should be held accountable for all his decisions, that's part of his job but my point is this thread isn't about that, it's about an injury to Brents. On the one hand people are complaining he didn't play much last year while on the other hand complaining the secondary was awful last year.....so am I to imply we missed him last season or he's still trash despite not playing half of it! 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Was the secondary play better than you expected in the opener?

Perhaps barely better, but it's hard to tell since Houston switched mostly to the ground game once we couldn't stop it. Our pass rush was better than last year at making Stroud uncomfortable but he was still headed to a good game if they'd kept a passing-focused attack. I still thought Jones looked subpar in pass coverage. Our DBs looked really good in run support and tackling, and I expect that from them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You know you need more than what we have right? We litterly only dressed 3 outside corners Sunday. 

And now we'll dress the same amount of corners, but probably use Flowers instead of Brents. And that's a typical number in the NFL, because math is a thing.

That’s the truth. We don’t know because they just ran it down our throats.

Again, so tiring. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Only to the PS.

Kelvin Joseph was a highly talented player that was drafted in the 2nd round by the Cowboys due to character concerns.  He's got issues.  However, if he can manage his issues, he could wind up better than any of our J.A.G. corners we already have.  It's a big opportunity for him.  Hope he makes the best of it!

• Like 4

Is this guy still good?

Just now, Superman said:

And now we'll dress the same amount of corners, but probably use Flowers instead of Brents. And that's a typical number in the NFL, because math is a thing.

Again, so tiring. 

What’s it say that flowers was inactive? They called up a PS player instead of activating him.

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

Even Womack plays boundary corner. It may not end up being Flowers bc I think they don't want to rush him. I'm fine with Womack if he has to start.

I am too.  He’s the one I’m expecting to replace him.  I know he is viewed as a nickel but he has played boundary and his highlights from last year with the 49er’s are impressive.  We’ll see if he is the guy but I’m good with it if he’s the choice.

• Like 2

Perhaps barely better, but it's hard to tell since Houston switched mostly to the ground game once we couldn't stop it. Our pass rush was better than last year at making Stroud uncomfortable but he was still headed to a good game if they'd kept a passing-focused attack. I still thought Jones looked subpar in pass coverage. Our DBs looked really good in run support and tackling, and I expect that from them. 

We're going to play zone defense with cushions on the outside, and we're going to give up short completions at a high rate. This is written in the sacred texts. 

What really matters for this defense is a) reliable pass rush, and b) whether the players in the secondary handle their assignments properly. I think the pass rush was really good, and if the Texans tried to rely on the passing game more, I think our pass rush would have been an even bigger factor. I don't think the passing defense was let off the hook at all, I think they got challenged plenty, and for the most part, they held up okay. And if y'all are being honest, you'll admit that the prevailing expectation heading into the game was that CJ Stroud was going to take our pass defense apart just like he did in Week 18 last year. 

I don't mean to get too into the weeds here. I don't know how the pass defense will respond to this loss. But I don't view it as completely devastating to our prospects this season. Brents is a young corner who has some talent and ability, but as we saw on Sunday, he also gives up big plays at times. I think the defense can weather this loss, especially since the the motor of the defense is, by design, the pass rush.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I am too.  He’s the one I’m expecting to replace him.  I know he is viewed as a nickel but he has played boundary and his highlights from last year with the 49er’s are impressive.  We’ll see if he is the guy but I’m good with it if he’s the choice.

Do you know what his speed is?

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s it say that flowers was inactive? They called up a PS player instead of activating him.

Chris Lammons played 22 STs snaps, and zero defensive snaps. So it says to me that they saw Lammons as the better option for special teams, and they weren't going to dress 6 corners in one game. Another one of those math related decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

From looking at PFF it seems he had a promising rookie season in Dallas in 2021, but he was a lot worse in 2022 and barely played in 2023.

Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in helping our secondary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Chris Lammons played 22 STs snaps, and zero defensive snaps. So it says to me that they saw Lammons as the better option for special teams, and they weren't going to dress 6 corners in one game. Another one of those math related decisions.

Flowers was integral to ST teams last year.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Flowers was integral to ST teams last year.

Sorry year before 

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hate it for JuJu, but Ballard needed this. Dude needs to stop being so * arrogant and set in his ways. We're already playing backups in the secondary, and now we're adding another.

This defense is * cooked already.

Good job, Ballard. Good job.

Like i have said numerous times. Ballard's construction of this defense is a fire able offense.  Eight years in  and the same results over and over. I have followed the Colts since Manning was  drafted in 1998 and it has been like 26 years of defensive futility. Over and over and over. For example, look what the Chiefs have built over in KC in a few short years. They have an elite qb and now have an elite defense. This is becoming a joke and I cannot wait for the Ballard apologists to weigh in. Every analyst and every fan saw corner as the primary concern going into the season  and Ballard's response  was to   " we need to let them play". Even if you agreed with him, you knew they needed another starter and quality depth based on last years injuries to the corners they brought back.  Like i have said. It doesn't matter what Richardson becomes. There is no way we are winning  a Super Bowl with Ballard in charge of  building this defense. He cannot assess defensive talent!  Enuff said!!

• Like 3