Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We hear this every year. When are some of the fans going to realize it’s not happening with those two. 

We don’t  have enough elite  talent to get over the hump.

Do you think the Texans have elite talent and the Colts do not?

Until we get AR a decent TE, the offense will continue to be inconsistent. AR has no check down or safety valve and when he does throw to our TE's, bad things happen. They are not even average. ...............AR needs to quit trusting them or the turnovers will continue. Also dont like SS being so aggressive. Defer the kick and punt when it's 4th down on the first drive on your side of the feild. We're not good enough yet to take those chances. We mssied Downs today because he is the closest thing we have to a security blanket for AR for easy throws to keep the chains movin. Defense was just ridiculous on many levels. BTW, Pittman looked like the 4th best wr on the team today. Pass rush just like last year, getting lots of sacks but NOT when it counts to end a game or get the ball back in crunch time...What concerns me the most is the Colts got punched in the mouth today and they know it and didn't respond. Supposedly, that's what Ballard prides his players on in the trenches and the trenches cost them the game today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

if Ballard hasn’t changed and we see the same issues every year it’s his issue.

when have we been run over like this under Ballard and Bradley? you were pushing the secondary as the problem all offseason. I didn’t see that today. It was the run defense that lost this game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Until we get AR a decent TE, the offense will continue to be inconsistent. AR has no check down or safety valve and when he does throw to our TE's, bad things happen. They are not even average. ...............AR needs to quit trusting them or the turnovers will continue. Also dont like SS being so aggressive. Defer the kick and punt when it's 4th down on the first drive on your side of the feild. We're not good enough yet to take those chances. We mssied Downs today because he is the closest thing we have to a security blanket for AR for easy throws to keep the chains movin. Defense was just ridiculous on many levels. BTW, Pittman looked like the 4th best wr on the team today. Pass rush just like last year, getting lots of sacks but NOT when it counts to end a game or get the ball back in crunch time...What concerns me the most is the Colts got punched in the mouth today and they know it and didn't respond. Supposedly, that's what Ballard prides his players on in the trenches and the trenches cost them the game today.

Downs will help a lot in that regard, but I don’t disagree… and I’m sure Shane will be pushing for it if one doesn’t emerge this season. It will be pretty obvious what is needed as the season progresses, and tight end seems to be an issue. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts need more speed at the CB position. Rodgers would make a mistake but because of his speed he could recover easily.  We don’t have that.

Ballard favors slower 6-2+ CBs He likes size over speed.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts need more speed at the CB position. Rodgers would make a mistake but because of his speed he could recover easily.  We don’t have that.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The way Ballard runs this team will eventually cause another 2022 season. Eventually players quit caring.

The way he runs the team? You mean by focusing on internal growth and building a culture on roster consistency and camaraderie? Matt Ryan and Frank Reich aren’t walking through the door again, so I don’t think you are accurate at all in your prediction.  

42 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

lol Ballard teams have two playoff season in 7 years. 

like a 54-61 overall record 

Why is he deemed a success?

I didn't say that he was a success. 

I simply don't think that he should be fired for not making the playoffs despite a HEALTHY AR, which is what the post said.  Shouldn't AR, AD, and Latu be given more than one season to develop under Ballard? 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The way Ballard runs this team will eventually cause another 2022 season. Eventually players quit caring.

I see the QB you wanted Ballard to draft ( Levis) cost the Titans the game. The Mayo kid 

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Ballard favors slower 6-2+ CBS. He likes size over speed.

Ballard favors slower 6-2+ CBS. He likes size over speed.

I know and I think he is wrong.

Colts are always 1 or two plays from winning and contending the lack of elite’s talent is why.

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I see the QB you wanted Ballard to draft ( Levis) cost the Titans the game. The Mayo kid 

What’s that have to do with anything. Colts made the right choice

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like deferring too. Getting the ball 1st in the second half is much better, JMO.

Although I like deferring, I was ok with call.  I just didn't like the result of three and out.   lol.  Had we scored a TD, probably would be having a different discussion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

Although I like deferring, I was ok with call.  I just didn't like the result of three and out.   lol.  Had we scored a TD, probably would be having a different discussion. 

You mean four and out and great field position for the Texans' opening possession... 

Yes, hindsight is fun, and had they scored it would have looked brilliant. But his last decision of '23 and his first decision of '24 were not great (in hindsight of course). 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DougDew said:

Via play call or AR improvising, was there even a pass thrown to a RB today?  IDK, I'm asking.

Steichen play calling was not great today. Seems like if they didn’t throw bombs they had no other game plan.

The good news is AR mentioned this in his presser how they have to use more time on offense to help the defense.

The Colts defense allowed 2 to 1 TOP today. We wont win one game (unless its a fluke) allowing that to happen and it's ridiculous to expect our offense to win like that. I dont care how great AR or JT play. They forced 1 PUNT TODAY!!!! Cant happen. ......Amazing we only lost by 2 but the punt block had a lot to do with that.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

You mean four and out and great field position for the Texans' opening possession... 

Yes, hindsight is fun, and had they scored it would have looked brilliant. But his last decision of '23 and his first decision of '24 were not great (in hindsight of course). 

We don’t know if Texans would have scored after punting but it turned out those 3 points was the difference. There had to be a better play call with only needing a yard.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen play calling was not great today. Seems like if they didn’t throw bombs they had no other game plan.

The good news is AR mentioned this in his presser how they have to use more time on offense to help the defense.

I don't think he called a great game. Aside from the early bomb to Pierce, it seemed like the rest of the big plays were somewhat desperate, if called that way, or perhaps rather just excellent playmaking by the players. Felt like our offense never was able to control the game at all. Some of that is because of the defense not stopping the running game and the time of possession being way out of whack. It just wasn't the game we want to play...

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The only success the offense had was the long ball. The TD to Pierce, the long pass to Pierce, and the 2 missed opportunities to AD.

There wasn’t much else. There were pass plays called that led to AR scrambles for first downs.

without the deep pass today, it would’ve been a blow out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We don’t know if Texans would have scored after punting but it turned out those 3 points was the difference. There had to be a better play call with only needing a yard.

We also didn't know if we would convert, and knew for a fact they would start their 2024 campaign with excellent field position if we didn't. But I agree... playcall was awful

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I believe the slot receiver was running free, but it seemed that AR either did not see him or overthrew him.  Most folks thought the pass was sailed over the outside receivers head, but I'm not sure it wasn't intended for the slot.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think he called a great game. Aside from the early bomb to Pierce, it seemed like the rest of the big plays were somewhat desperate, if called that way, or perhaps rather just excellent playmaking by the players. Felt like our offense never was able to control the game at all. Some of that is because of the defense not stopping the running game and the time of possession being way out of whack. It just wasn't the game we want to play...

Yep. It was not great game  plan.

Just now, Flash7 said:

The only success the offense had was the long ball. The TD to Pierce, the long pass to Pierce, and the 2 missed opportunities to AD.

There wasn’t much else. There were pass plays called that ldt to AR scrambles for first downs.

without the deep pass today, it would’ve been a blow out.

Without the extra 500 calories a day, I'd be at optimal weight too...

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

We also didn't know if we would convert, and knew for a fact they would start their 2024 campaign with excellent field position if we didn't. But I agree... playcall was awful

I need to go back and watch a lot again. Had a great seat today, but not the best angle to really take in everything that happened. I was struggling to see down and distance at times, and I'm a visual guy, not what they say it is. My eyes are failing me at Lucas Oil Stadium anymore. Will probably watch the rest from home. I'll break my thoughts down more in the coming days after watching it back. Calling it a night here.

• Like 1

Stroud only had 234 yard passing today on 32 attempts.  He was sacked 4 times.  The secondary played well and tackled well.  I thought the secondary played great.  The Texans have a great trio of receivers.  Collins made a great 4th quarter catch against excellent coverage by Jones to clinch the game.  The defense didn’t lose this game the offense and Richardson lost it.  Three great deep balls are great but missing wide open receivers three times cost us the game.  He needs to play better.  9/19 for 200 yards isn’t good enough.  

• Like 1

Weird things always happen in week one. Hopefully this isn’t the test of the season. But it’s frustrating that colts can’t seem to figure things out and contend.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Stroud only had 234 yard passing today on 32 attempts.  He was sacked 4 times.  The secondary played well and tackled well.  I thought the secondary played great.  The Texans have a great trio of receivers.  Collins made a great 4th quarter catch against excellent coverage by Jones to clinch the game.  The defense didn’t lose this game the offense and Richardson lost it.  Three great deep balls are great but missing wide open receivers three times cost us the game.  He needs to play better.  9/19 for 200 yards isn’t good enough.  

75% passing 

Colts looked good  in the pass rush. But when you are not covering anyone  the QB only needs to run around or bide time for a couple seconds to find the open WR. The pass rush won’t matter if they don’t figure out how to stop 3rd and long. I don’t think this is going to be fixed because it’s been like this with Bradley.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't say that he was a success. 

I simply don't think that he should be fired for not making the playoffs despite a HEALTHY AR, which is what the post said.  Shouldn't AR, AD, and Latu be given more than one season to develop under Ballard? 

Today looks like every game for the last 7+ years.  Exciting offense at times and  a defense that the opponent is laughing at and getting easy TDs on 4th down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if we all saw the same game.

I saw a good game from our corners,  this is one of the best WR trio and they hold it well, sometimes they tackled better than our LBs to be honest.

I expect more from our D Line, way more. I do not expect too much of this LB crew,  but cannot be that bad.

Ofense scored 27 points with 20min of possesion, they did enough.

In the end, they fixed holes with FA (Mixon, Hunter, Diggs), we do not, we will continue to watch Taven Bryant as a 3 Tech, we deserve to lose.

• Like 1