Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans post game reaction

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm saying if they felt that way why didn't they stay with it? Probably bc they knew that whatever we were doing worked good enough for them to consider other things. It's hard to say that's true bc the pass rush was getting home.  Hou didn't get that many explosives.

Credit to them they were more balanced than us on offense. Every time they needed a big time throw they got it. If the Colts would’ve held them to 60% on 3rd downs Colts probably win. 3rd down defense needs to improve going forward.

6 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Credit to them they were more balanced than us on offense. Every time they needed a big time throw they got it. If the Colts would’ve held them to 60% on 3rd downs Colts probably win. 3rd down defense needs to improve going forward.

The question is can they improve. This is Bradley’s third year and it looks the same as always.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this is probably correct. It was more the plan. But why didn’t they adjust. If your secondary is that weak where you just find them the run then you screwed up getting the correct players. Now I will say their OC comes ftom SF and it’s hard to defend. But at least try and adjust.

Hard for me to say about adjustments. All I can say is Houston presents a few challenges you won't get with other teams.But I've seen worse run defense from the Colts before. Particularly the same year we won the Super Bowl against Chicago. That whole year the Colts run defense was a joke. I will always remember Fred Taylor and Jones Drew dog walking our behind the entire 4 quarters.  And this happened to a team that ended up winning the Super Bowl. There wasn't really anything special about that teams corners and safeties other than Bullet Bob. Linebackers either for that matter. They were decent 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The question is can they improve. This is Bradley’s third year and it looks the same as always.

If we make the playoffs or not I want Bradley gone the game as passed him by and we need to find someone that’s more creative and not stubborn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hard for me to say about adjustments. All I can say is Houston presents a few challenges you won't get with other teams.But I've seen worse run defense from the Colts before. Particularly the same year we won the Super Bowl against Chicago. That whole year the Colts run defense was a joke. I will always remember Fred Taylor and Jones Drew dog walking our behind the entire 4 quarters.  And this happened to a team that ended up winning the Super Bowl. There wasn't really anything special about that teams corners and safeties other than Bullet Bob. Linebackers either for that matter. They were decent 

That SB year we had a lot of young players in the secondary. We didn’t allow any huge runs yesterday but in a way what they did yesterday was worse then giving up one or two explosive runs.

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

If we make the playoffs or not I want Bradley gone the game as passed him by and we need to find someone that’s more creative and not stubborn.

This is why it’s hard for me to get excited because we kind of know how this ends. Offense will great but the defense loses us games. We will be one game short of the playoffs and Bradley most likely is gone. The sad thing though we miss the playoffs again. I think it was demoralizing for players with that plan yesterday. Players want to be physical. When you don’t let them play it’s very demoralizing.

9 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Honestly I think the defensive staff said we know they are going to score but we want that limited to field goals. And we want to make them drive the ball down field multiple plays. The plan would've worked if we didn't have a poor run defense plan.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That SB year we had a lot of young players in the secondary. We didn’t allow any huge runs yesterday but in a way what they did yesterday was worse then giving up one or two explosive runs.

To an extent. The difference in my opinion being that you make the offense make the plays and drive the field, and Houston seemingly made all the big moment plays. I think Houston would say they’d rather have seen us drive the field than give those plays up…

I just don’t see a great deal of the offense’s in this league making those plays like they did. My issue with the harsh criticism of our defense is that it’s in a way discrediting Houston’s offense, and that’s a problem for me, because they played exceptionally well and are poised for a very big year. 

• Thanks 2

Sad really that so many are here looking for a scapegoat, Gus Bradley , to blame because we lost a two point game to a Super Bowl contender with the Colts starting the youngest quarterback in the league and I would bet one of the youngest teams in the league.  It’s only the first game.  The sky is not falling.  Talk about overreacting. Like I said Sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sad really that so many are here looking for a scapegoat, Gus Bradley , to blame because we lost a two point game to a Super Bowl contender with the Colts starting the youngest quarterback in the league and I would bet one of the youngest teams in the league.  It’s only the first game.  The sky is not falling.  Talk about overreacting. Like I said Sad.

Unfortunately, it's the norm with the usual suspects.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If what we saw yesterday wasn’t not a pattern I would agree with you. But it’s a pattern.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Honestly I think the defensive staff said we know they are going to score but we want that limited to field goals. And we want to make them drive the ball down field multiple plays. The plan would've worked if we didn't have a poor run defense plan.

Isn’t limiting the opponent to FGs instead of TDs and not allowing the big plays always the defensive plan? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with all of this except for the Texans being Super Bowl contenders. They aren’t to that point yet. 

They’re good, but they’ll get shredded to pieces against the Chiefs. 

A few good things

A few bad things

On the negative side

This was the worst game that I have seen our LBs play in a few years

Our money is invested in our OL, we should have been able to run the ball better

Our QB has accuracy problems that needs to be fixed (Im patient but he missed so many throws)

We had a few soul crushing runs by the Texan RB, the defense needs to get him on the ground

On the good side,

We MOSTLY handled the pass rush of the Texans

Cross played well in my book, overall, but was late on a few key plays 

Hats off to Alec Pierce

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Drew had 300 yards rushing at Jacksonville that Super Bowl year. The run D was historically bad. Were you a fan back then? I'd love to read your posts if you were 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree with all of this except for the Texans being Super Bowl contenders. They aren’t to that point yet. 

They’re good, but they’ll get shredded to pieces against the Chiefs. 

I think the majority of fans and sports media consider them contenders.  That’s not just me.  Getting shredded by the Chiefs?  That is just speculation as you know.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We didn’t play Drew in 2006. That  year we had a very young secondary and when sanders came back for playoffs we were excellent against the run 

He's talking about Maurice Jones Drew, he and Fred Taylor put up 375 yards on the Colts in December that year.

I remember thinking that game would never end

Just now, Dunk said:

He's talking about Maurice Jones Drew, he and Fred Taylor put up 375 yards on the Colts in December that year.

I fixed it. Took me. Minute to figure out what he was talking about. Sanders came back for the playoff run and they were good against the run. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunk said:

Most embarrassing  beat down ever well that and when Blount got is on playoffs during luck era

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I fixed it. Took me. Minute to figure out what he was talking about. Sanders came back for the playoff run and they were good against the run. 

Yep, Bob made all the difference

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Most embarrassing  beat down ever well that and when Blount got is on playoffs during luck era

Peyton was horrible for the majority of the playoffs that year. It was a strange run. Adam V was money though.

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the majority of fans and sports media consider them contenders.  That’s not just me.  Getting shredded by the Chiefs?  That is just speculation as you know.

I’m not even a Chiefs fan. I don’t like them. Don’t even like Mahomes. 

But they’ve won 2 Super Bowls in a row, and this team is the most complete they’ve had. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

What do you know Brent’s, Jones and Cross played pretty good run defense.  They made a lot of open field tackles.  Especially on Mixon.   Surprised by Zaire and Kenny.  Not surprised by Bryan.

There’s no doubt they tackled well. I feel like the DBs tackled Mixon every time he broke his big runs. It’s the pass D where they got torched by Collins.

3 hours ago, JediXMan said:

would you believe me if I told you they were 50% on 3rd down conversions? 

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s no doubt they tackled well. I feel like the DBs tackled Mixon every time he broke his big runs. It’s the pass D where they got torched by Collins.

I think the pass defense will improve as we move along.  Just 234 yards for Stroud and two touchdowns.  That’s a pretty good outing in my mind for such a young and inexperienced secondary.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

What do you know Brent’s, Jones and Cross played pretty good run defense.  They made a lot of open field tackles.  Especially on Mixon.   Surprised by Zaire and Kenny.  Not surprised by Bryan.

All four of the Colts starting DBs came into the league rated as better in run support than pass coverage. The Colts have a type.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I was going to say, for the majority of the Manning years the Colt’s run defense was horrendous, sans the SB winning playoff run. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, krunk said:

People always underrated how good Bethea was.  I always felt the Colts had the most overrated safety in the league in Sanders, due to injuries, and the most underrated safety in the league in Bethea.  

you are on to something, sometimes teams just get on a roll in a game and you can’t stop it no matter what you do.  The Texans got on a roll running earlier and I think their confidence just grew.  If you listen to the announcers too it was clearly a major focus for the Texans to get better at this off-season so I think they spent a lot of time working on it and caught the Colts off guard.  

You could tell because of how often Grover, their run stopper, was out early replaced by the pass rushing DTs.  Then once the Texans got the momentum going the Colts just couldn’t slow it down.  It was just the Texans line day.  Sometimes that happens.  Hopefully the Colts get it fixed this week because I’d expect a healthy dose of Josh Jacobs doing the same stuff Mixon was doing.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

People always underrated how good Bethea was.  I always felt the Colts had the most overrated safety in the league in Sanders, due to injuries, and the most underrated safety in the league in Bethea.  

you are on to something, sometimes teams just get on a roll in a game and you can’t stop it no matter what you do.  The Texans got on a roll running earlier and I think their confidence just grew.  If you listen to the announcers too it was clearly a major focus for the Texans to get better at this off-season so I think they spent a lot of time working on it and caught the Colts off guard.  

You could tell because of how often Grover, their run stopper, was out early replaced by the pass rushing DTs.  Then once the Texans got the momentum going the Colts just couldn’t slow it down.  It was just the Texans line day.  Sometimes that happens.  Hopefully the Colts get it fixed this week because I’d expect a healthy dose of Josh Jacobs doing the same stuff Mixon was doing.

I forgot about Bethea! Big fan of his and a very good safety. Definitely a key piece on that squad.