Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ebukam might return this season

July 30 was when he tore his Achilles tendon... 

Superbowl is on February 9th... 

That's 6 months and 10 days after his injury. He's almost 1 months into his recovery. No idea if this is enough to know if his recovery is going well or not. Maybe they've gotten good initial indications? No idea... 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

July 30 was when he ruptured his Achilles tendon... 

That's 6 months and 10 days after his injury. He's almost 1 months into his recovery. No idea if this is enough to know if his recovery is going well or not. Maybe they've gotten good initial indications? No idea... 

Maybe they have no one else they care to use the slot for?

So then you believe in the possibility of a Miracle. lol

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

July 30 was when he tore his Achilles tendon... 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Cam Akers is the example here, not Rodgers. 

Akers returned to play just 5 and a half months after his Achilles tear. 

So to have a chance at the magical Cam Akers timeline, the Colts have to at least get to the divisional round of the playoffs. 

If he has a torn Achilles, he's not coming back. Just being realistic. Maybe his injury is something else, or was not as severe as initially thought. We haven't heard anything from the team about his status -- good job, beat team! -- so maybe it's not a torn Achilles...

Also, it's telling that they would take a flier on a longshot return from Ebukam, rather than try to get Woods back. He's clearly not on solid ground with this team. I don't know that any of it is his fault, despite people taking shots at him. But I don't know how long you can keep a guy around after he misses two seasons in a row. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

So to have a chance at the magical Cam Akers timeline, the Colts have to at least get to the divisional round of the playoffs. 

If he has a torn Achilles, he's not coming back. Just being realistic. Maybe his injury is something else, or was not as severe as initially thought. We haven't heard anything from the team about his status -- good job, beat team! -- so maybe it's not a torn Achilles...

Also, it's telling that they would take a flier on a longshot return from Ebukam, rather than try to get Woods back. He's clearly not on solid ground with this team. I don't know that any of it is his fault, despite people taking shots at him. But I don't know how long you can keep a guy around after he misses two seasons in a row. 

https://www.colts.com/news/samson-ebukam-achilles-injury-out-2024-season-status-update

This is on the official site... it says "Colts defensive end Samson Ebukam sustained a torn Achilles' during Sunday's training camp practice, head coach Shane Steichen said Tuesday."

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

About Woods... I just checked something. His situation is pretty unusual. Turf toe that requires surgery are very severe and very uncommon - only 2% of those require surgery and with football players who have had the surgery the average recovery time was 16.5 weeks. Still this sounds like a better bet to make on a player that could recover in due time, rather than betting on Ebukam recovery, but... oh well... :dunno: 

My read on this situation is... they are just not that high on Woods and they chose to keep him on his cheap rookie contract and see if one more off-season can help him take the next step and they likely didn't think he can help them this season even if he wes healthy(likely would have just cut him if he wasn't injured) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

About Woods... I just checked something. His situation is pretty unusual. Turf toe that requires surgery are very severe and very uncommon - only 2% of those require surgery and with football players who have had the surgery the average recovery time was 16.5 weeks. Still this sounds like a better bet to make on a player that could recover in due time, rather than betting on Ebukam recovery, but... oh well... :dunno: 

My read on this situation is... they are just not that high on Woods and they chose to keep him on his cheap rookie contract and see if one more off-season can help him take the next step and they likely didn't think he can help them this season even if he wes healthy(likely would have just cut him if he wasn't injured) 

How high do you have to be on a guy to keep his seat warm after two straight missed seasons? I still think he's an incredible prospect, but at some point it's time to move on. I wouldn't get rid of him, not without there being some behind the scenes stuff that the team isn't happy with, but he's going to have to kick the door down to stick around next year. 

Same thing with Daniel Scott. Two straight major injuries, he's on the bubble, at best. It's not anyone's fault, but you can't wait forever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

How high do you have to be on a guy to keep his seat warm after two straight missed seasons? I still think he's an incredible prospect, but at some point it's time to move on. I wouldn't get rid of him, not without there being some behind the scenes stuff that the team isn't happy with, but he's going to have to kick the door down to stick around next year. 

Same thing with Daniel Scott. Two straight major injuries, he's on the bubble, at best. It's not anyone's fault, but you can't wait forever.

Yeah, you cannot wait forever... I think they see the promise of his HWS profile and they don't want to give up on it just yet... but they also don't seem to think he'd be very useful this year. It will cost just about 1M to keep him under contract... 

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

a lot of players after a major injury are never as good as they were before the injury

9 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

According to Joel Erickson:

“The Colts plan to put defensive end Samson Ebukam on injured reserve today with a designation to return after Ebukam tore his Achilles tendon early in training camp.”

Just because he was placed on the IR with designation to return does not mean he will return this season. I am willing to bet he actually doesn’t return this season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Because we are desperate for pass rushers. Paye and Dayo can’t get it done.

Paye, 8 sacks last year and Dayo 9 sacks last year and both have gotten better every year.    And now they both have a top new position coach.    I wouldn’t be so quick to write them off. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 6:06 PM, Patrick Miller said:

Because we are desperate for pass rushers. Paye and Dayo can’t get it done.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/7/19/24201333/defensive-line-expert-on-colts-de-kwity-paye-ive-never-seen-a-guy-have-an-offseason-like-he-has

According to his offseason coach, Kwity has really put the work in, check out the article before writing him off.

• Like 1