Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

How well did that work for the cowboys vs the 49ers last year 😂

I didn’t say it’d work haha said they’d try it

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Imagine around this time Nadine had the ability to cut a poster

"It's always tough losing a great poster but I decided today to cut @2006Coltsbestever because he posts Simpson Gifs constantly

Simpsons Apocalypse GIF

Pretty sure I’d been first on that list haha

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I think it's more of Flaccos refusal to help young QBs. He didn't help Zach Wilson in NY when he was on the Jets, and when he was on Denver he didn't help someone either (I believe it was Drew Lock). I wouldn't be surprised if he is refusing to help Richardson, and he was forced to ask Sam for help instead of Flacco.

That is nonsense.   

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-qb-joe-flacco-embracing-role-as-mentor-to-zach-wilson-but-believes-he-still

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/joe-flacco-colts-anthony-richardson-backup-quarterback

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I think it's more of Flaccos refusal to help young QBs. He didn't help Zach Wilson in NY when he was on the Jets, and when he was on Denver he didn't help someone either (I believe it was Drew Lock). I wouldn't be surprised if he is refusing to help Richardson, and he was forced to ask Sam for help instead of Flacco.

Wrong GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Zach Wilson is old news. He didn't help Wilson at all. Also read the quote in the Richardson link. “I really don’t believe that’s the job of a backup quarterback,” Flacco said when asked about mentoring Richardson. “I think that happens naturally as you become part of the team and like I said, you’re in that room and you are going to obviously do that. I’ve proven to be, I think as far as I’m concerned, a good teammate and I think that’s the most important. Those kind of things happen naturally.”

He has never helped any QB become good. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wrong GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Don't think so. He's a very good backup QB for us, but he doesn't like to mentor young QBs. Just because he's on the Colts doesn't mean that'll change or the facts change. There's a reason Richardson asked Sam for help and the pattern is obvious since Flacco became a backup QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Don't think so. He's a very good backup QB for us, but he doesn't like to mentor young QBs. Just because he's on the Colts doesn't mean that'll change or the facts change. There's a reason Richardson asked Sam for help and the pattern is obvious since Flacco became a backup QB.

What evidence do you have to support this theory? 

because everyone from AR to Shane has said that Flacco has been great for mentoring him thus far. I get some of it is coach speech but if there was a problem, the body language would be totally different 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What evidence do you have to support this theory? 

because everyone from AR to Shane has said that Flacco has been great for mentoring him thus far. I get some of it is coach speech but if there was a problem, the body language would be totally different 

This is a quote from Flacco in 2019 while in Denver. While in Denver in 2019, Flacco made it clear that mentorship was not his job. On then-rookie quarterback Drew Lock, Flacco said, “I hope he does develop. But I don’t look at that as my job. My job is to win football games for this football team.”

He's done this with Zach Wilson and Drew Lock. I can't prove he's doing it with Richardson (that's a guess by me), but he has a history of not doing it. I'm going with the history here. Steichen and AR aren't going to call him out on it and cause turmoil on the team right before the season starts.

16 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

This is a quote from Flacco in 2019 while in Denver. While in Denver in 2019, Flacco made it clear that mentorship was not his job. On then-rookie quarterback Drew Lock, Flacco said, “I hope he does develop. But I don’t look at that as my job. My job is to win football games for this football team.”

He's done this with Zach Wilson and Drew Lock. I can't prove he's doing it with Richardson (that's a guess by me), but he has a history of not doing it. I'm going with the history here. Steichen and AR aren't going to call him out on it and cause turmoil on the team right before the season starts.

There's a big difference from 2019 Flacco that still considered himself a starter and was competing to be one vrs 2024 Flacco that knows his role is a backup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He has really good blocking in front of him.

What should be a very good run game.

A very good receiving group.

A really good play caller.

Steichen ran hurry up in his first game as a rookie. 

So, he knows the offense very well by now.

I see a quick release.

I believe they trust that he got the memo about protecting himself.

So is he just some injury prone athlete? I don't think they bet on that.

I'm hoping Bean has a deal with us for the PS. If he rides with us for a season he looks to have a great shot to be our #2 next season. 

Sounds like you're optimistic for Richardson as well. I don't really think it's debatable, though, that he's not reliable. Not yet. That's what I think the standard should be for whether we keep two QBs or three. The Colts might have a different standard...

On Bean, let's say a couple other teams have their eye on him. Richardson starts the season looking pretty good, the Colts are looking solid, and they're paying Flacco $4.5m guaranteed, so he's not going anywhere. Another team's starter goes down in Week 3, that team is now on the lookout for a new QB2/3. They offer Bean a spot on the roster. The Colts offer to match, and now Bean has decide whether to stick around with the Colts as QB3 all season, or go to another team where he has a legit shot at being QB2. 

My thinking is, if you like Bean enough to think he can be QB2 next year, he's worth the roster spot this year. Then you eliminate the possibility of him getting signed off the practice squad. Maybe that costs you a fifth safety, or a 10th OL... Those are spots that you can supplement with the practice squad, though. I think, for a team with an unproven starter and a 40 year old backup, QB3 is more important.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

There's a big difference from 2019 Flacco that still considered himself a starter and was competing to be one vrs 2024 Flacco that knows his role is a backup.

Flacco's comments were completely justified, and I hope he still views himself that way. It's NOT his job to mentor the starter, it's his job to be ready to play if/when he's called on to do so. (By the way, Flacco has done a reasonably good job of being ready as the backup, which is no doubt why the Colts signed him.) And if Richardson wants to pick up good habits from Flacco on the practice field, in the meeting rooms, etc., then that's on Richardson to learn from Flacco's example. 

I'm sure that Flacco is ready and willing to answer questions and help solve problems. Acting like he's going to shun his teammates is silly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ADnum1 said:

Looks like Sam, Treadmill and Pinter cut

Got a link? Not that I don't believe you, but this is the same thread in which someone claimed that year-old news was current... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Superman changed the title to Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Got a link? Not that I don't believe you, but this is the same thread in which someone claimed that year-old news was current... 

It was the link posted earlier in this thread 

Thirty-seven players were cut by the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday as the team set its 53-man roster -- at least temporarily -- for the 2024 season. Here is a list of the players (* -- already released or waived):

Austin Ajiake

Liam Anderson

Genard Avery

Jason Bean

Levi Bell

Taven Bryan

*Tyrie Cleveland

Marcel Dabo

Sam Ehlinger

Demetric Felton

*Clay Fields III

Arlington Hambright

*Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Eric Johnson

Chris Lammons

Jonah Laulu

Titus Leo

Cameron McGrone

D.J. Montgomery

Jordan Murray

Mike Panasiuk

Danny Pinter

*Derek Rivers

Zavier Scott

*Spencer Shrader

Jaylin Simpson

*Kedan Slovis

*Derek Slywka

*Mike Smith Jr.

Eric Tomlinson

Laquon Treadwell

Michael Tutsie

*Greg Ward

Juwann Winfree

Jake Witt

Craig Young

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

It was the link posted earlier in this thread 

Thirty-seven players were cut by the Indianapolis Colts on Tuesday as the team set its 53-man roster -- at least temporarily -- for the 2024 season. Here is a list of the players (* -- already released or waived):

Austin Ajiake

Liam Anderson

Genard Avery

Jason Bean

Levi Bell

Taven Bryan

*Tyrie Cleveland

Marcel Dabo

Sam Ehlinger

Demetric Felton

*Clay Fields III

Arlington Hambright

*Ronnie Harrison Jr.

Eric Johnson

Chris Lammons

Jonah Laulu

Titus Leo

Cameron McGrone

D.J. Montgomery

Jordan Murray

Mike Panasiuk

Danny Pinter

*Derek Rivers

Zavier Scott

*Spencer Shrader

Jaylin Simpson

*Kedan Slovis

*Derek Slywka

*Mike Smith Jr.

Eric Tomlinson

Laquon Treadwell

Michael Tutsie

*Greg Ward

Juwann Winfree

Jake Witt

Craig Young

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2024/08/26/colts-will-cut-36-players-to-get-to-53-heres-the-projected-list/74911073007/

That's IndyStar's projection, not what's actually happened, right? The ones with a * by their name are the players who have actually been released so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Kent Sterling said something interesting this morning. When AR was struggling in the Bengals game he went to Sam not Joe. I've heard alot of reports of how smart Sam is. Man I think Bean has gobs more potential. 

We need to save this post

And 7 years from now when Sam has a podcast All 22 on our QB People will say he wasn’t any good how can he explain these play concepts Why isn’t he a QB coach ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2024/08/26/colts-will-cut-36-players-to-get-to-53-heres-the-projected-list/74911073007/

That's IndyStar's projection, not what's actually happened, right? The ones with a * by their name are the players who have actually been released so far.

My mistake thanks for the correction. 

The list does seem pretty accurate though

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Kent Sterling said something interesting this morning. When AR was struggling in the Bengals game he went to Sam not Joe. I've heard alot of reports of how smart Sam is. Man I think Bean has gobs more potential. 

Sam may have a future in coaching.

I don't think he has the physical tools to be a qb in the NFL

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Why did they veto it?

IDK, I didn't even know they could.

If I had to guess, they don't want teams calling up a third QB without paying him an active roster salary. They might also feel like QBs are being given a special exemption that undermines other players. It might all be part of a strategy to get fully expanded rosters, rather than just a limited expansion for one position, in special circumstances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He has really good blocking in front of him.

What should be a very good run game.

A very good receiving group.

A really good play caller.

Steichen ran hurry up in his first game as a rookie. 

So, he knows the offense very well by now.

I see a quick release.

I believe they trust that he got the memo about protecting himself.

So is he just some injury prone athlete? I don't think they bet on that.

I'm hoping Bean has a deal with us for the PS. If he rides with us for a season he looks to have a great shot to be our #2 next season. 

This is a good post.   The only point I’d disagree with is the concept of a young QB like Bean being ready to be QB2 next year for Richardson. 

I think we are many years away from that.
I think AR in his early years is going to require a veteran QB to offer wisdom and set an example for Richardson to follow.  I don’t think Bean or someone like him will be in position to offer those views for many years.  

I think AR’s severe lack of experience requires a veteran backup.  

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I think this is you telling yourself what you wish to be true more than it is what’s really true to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

He's here because he had a good off season and outplayed the guys trying to take his spot.  I'm not a huge fan of Chris Ballard anymore either, could take him or leave him.

He had a rough season last year but won the battle in camp this year.

yeah, which is kinda the point, how much better did he get? probably not a good look at the room if he has a spot still. 

28 minutes ago, AKB said:

yeah, which is kinda the point, how much better did he get? probably not a good look at the room if he has a spot still. 

He looked good, it wasn't just everyone was bad.  Baker had a legitimately good off season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Sounds like you're optimistic for Richardson as well. I don't really think it's debatable, though, that he's not reliable. Not yet. That's what I think the standard should be for whether we keep two QBs or three. The Colts might have a different standard...

On Bean, let's say a couple other teams have their eye on him. Richardson starts the season looking pretty good, the Colts are looking solid, and they're paying Flacco $4.5m guaranteed, so he's not going anywhere. Another team's starter goes down in Week 3, that team is now on the lookout for a new QB2/3. They offer Bean a spot on the roster. The Colts offer to match, and now Bean has decide whether to stick around with the Colts as QB3 all season, or go to another team where he has a legit shot at being QB2. 

My thinking is, if you like Bean enough to think he can be QB2 next year, he's worth the roster spot this year. Then you eliminate the possibility of him getting signed off the practice squad. Maybe that costs you a fifth safety, or a 10th OL... Those are spots that you can supplement with the practice squad, though. I think, for a team with an unproven starter and a 40 year old backup, QB3 is more important.

Absolutely right. This would hold true even with great trust in AR's reliability. Drum roll...

If Sam is also a hot prospect let's get a draft pick for him. 

I watched and rewatched our o-line play. If I was told Pinter was to be our starting center this year i would be fine with it. He looked that solid. And Rucker looks like a solid prospect to be a future starter.  In that scenario we sure could use that 10th spot. 

Freeland is coming along a little as a RT.

Goncalves was really crashing it down at LT with his run blocking. I like him as a 6th in short yardage. But he is a not good out there with his pass blocking. Praying for Raimanns good health. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Absolutely right. This would hold true even with great trust in AR's reliability. Drum roll...

If Sam is also a hot prospect let's get a draft pick for him. 

I watched and rewatched our o-line play. If I was told Pinter was to be our starting center this year i would be fine with it. He looked that solid. And Rucker looks like a solid prospect to be a future starter.  In that scenario we sure could use that 10th spot. 

Freeland is coming along a little as a RT.

Goncalves was really crashing it down at LT with his run blocking. I like him as a 6th in short yardage. But he is a not good out there with his pass blocking. Praying for Raimanns good health. 

If someone wants Sam and offers a pick, I'd be all over it. That seems unlikely, though.

The OL has shown some promise. Goncalves definitely had some issues in protection at LT, though. He's athletic, but not quick enough, IMO. 

• Like 1