Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bengals preseason: Raiman vs Hendrickson

AustexColt

If Raimann can block Hendrickson while they both are on the field tomorrow, we have improved. Hendrickson OWNED Bernie all day last year. This is Raimann's test  whether he can deal with Hendrickson's bull rush and swing move. 

35 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I seriously hate this because it's a no win situation. If AR and the offense struggle against 2nd stringers, it's gonna be complete chaos here and if they do well it means nothing 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

If Raimann can block Hendrickson while they both are on the field tomorrow, we have improved. Hendrickson OWNED Bernie all day last year. This is Raimann's test  whether he can deal with Hendrickson's bull rush and swing move. 

It may be a test, but even if it doesn’t go as the Colts would like that doesn’t mean that somehow the jury is out on Raimann.   He’s been performing at a high level since roughly week 11 of his rookie year, so approx a year and a half.

So, win lose, or draw in this game, Raimann IS the Colts LT of the present and the future.  His future is not going to be determined by a meaningless pre-season game, even with an interesting match-up.  

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I seriously hate this because it's a no win situation. If AR and the offense struggle against 2nd stringers, it's gonna be complete chaos here and if they do well it means nothing 

I don't hate it because if that's how the "he needs reps" crowd feels after he gets reps in a meaningless game, then it's laughable to me. I'll consider it a good warmup regardless of the outcome. Work the bugs out now and come out 9/8 ready to roll, prepared for a lonnngg season. 

51 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well that’s a bummer

Yeah. would have liked to see Raiman vs Hendrickson, but for AR's sake, maybe not...

still they probably have some 2nd stringer who will give us fits regardless

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Uh, it's only a no win situation in regards to perception which doesn't matter at all

There will be no game planning.  But we will be able to see if AR is accurate and makes the right reads.  Theoretically he should have more time to throw than in a real game (assuming our Oline can hold off their second team D).  

12 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Clueless

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I hate it from an entertainment standpoint too. But it's not like it won't be all scripted anyways. Still would be nice to see starters on both sides.

Just hoping for no injuries.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

There will be no game planning.  But we will be able to see if AR is accurate and makes the right reads.  Theoretically he should have more time to throw than in a real game (assuming our Oline can hold off their second team D).  

Steichen isn't going to show his good stuff, just very vannila. AR and his boys can work on timing and he should have the time to try some deeper shots. 

We have a lot to watch for in 2nd string roster battles. 

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't hate it because if that's how the "he needs reps" crowd feels after he gets reps in a meaningless game, then it's laughable to me. I'll consider it a good warmup regardless of the outcome. Work the bugs out now and come out 9/8 ready to roll, prepared for a lonnngg season. 

Well said. This is still practice, with vanilla O and D schemes. The guy who needs it most is AR. Get him ready without getting his head torn off! 

• Like 1

I just want AR in there getting the snaps, reading coverages and establishing chemistry with his guys. Y'all can take shots at that all you want, but we've come out unprepared for faaar too long. This is what AR needs.

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

Even if we dominate, it would still mean nothing as all bets are off once the season starts at 0-0.

You just line up and play who you are up against and make sure you execute your portion at a high level without playing IFs and BUTs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Colts O-line had struggles against the Bengals in joint practice. Raimann and Braden included, according to Indystar's Nate Atkins. 

Over all very bad showing by the O in the first several series.  When their D is taunting our QB, that’s not a good sign.

Shane knows more about football and getting guys ready than I ever will.  But even he would have to admit that live game reps, including vanilla preseason games, is better than practice reps with a red jersey on.  

Maybe a guy who’s made something like 17 starts since high school could have used more snaps the last two games?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Over all very bad showing by the O in the first several series.  When their D is taunting our QB, that’s not a good sign.

Shane knows more about football and getting guys ready than I ever will.  But even he would have to admit that live game reps, including vanilla preseason games, is better than practice reps with a red jersey on.  

Maybe a guy who’s made something like 17 starts since high school could have used more snaps the last two games?

And if he said he doesn’t believe that, would you admit you are wrong?… since you’ll never know what he does regarding coaching (your words, not mine.)

20 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And if he said he doesn’t believe that, would you admit you are wrong?… since you’ll never know what he does regarding coaching (your words, not mine.)

He obviously doesn’t believe that, or else AR would have played more snaps in live action.  

What would I admit I’m wrong about?  Asking a question?  I don’t follow.  

38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He obviously doesn’t believe that, or else AR would have played more snaps in live action.  

What would I admit I’m wrong about?  Asking a question?  I don’t follow.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

If he obviously doesn't believe that, why do you think he "would admit that live reps are better than practice reps" ? That's what I'm asking... It seems highly contradictory to say he doesn't believe preseason snaps are as important and then say even he would admit they are. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If he obviously doesn't believe that, why do you think he "would admit that live reps are better than practice reps" ? That's what I'm asking... It seems highly contradictory to say he doesn't believe preseason snaps are as important and then say even he would admit they are. 

My bad.  I meant he didn't believe that AR needed reps in live games.  I stand by saying that he would admit that live reps are better than practice.  Anyone who's ever played, coached, or even watched games would admit that.  Are you saying Shane wouldn't admit that?

So, my question is - why didn't he play AR more in the preseason games?  Injury concerns is usually the answer.

I think it's true that AR has less real snaps than any starting QB in the league, if you include their college experience.  ( Including Nix, Williams, and Daniels).  

To be clear, I like AR and I think he's the real deal.  He looked really good in his limited time last season.  Maybe I'm totally off base and he doesn't need the reps.  But I would feel more comfortable going in to game 1 if he was a little more seasoned.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My bad.  I meant he didn't believe that AR needed reps in live games.  I stand by saying that he would admit that live reps are better than practice.  Anyone who's ever played, coached, or even watched games would admit that.  Are you saying Shane wouldn't admit that?

So, my question is - why didn't he play AR more in the preseason games?  Injury concerns is usually the answer.

I think it's true that AR has less real snaps than any starting QB in the league, if you include their college experience.  ( Including Nix, Williams, and Daniels).  

To be clear, I like AR and I think he's the real deal.  He looked really good in his limited time last season.  Maybe I'm totally off base and he doesn't need the reps.  But I would feel more comfortable going in to game 1 if he was a little more seasoned.

I don't know. I think the general consensus within the league is that preseason is more for evaluation than building with live reps... It appears that teams put higher priority on a controlled scrimmage than the preseason reps. Even then, they apparently feel enough to play a quarter and a half or so tonight. I just don't know that it's super beneficial when you are closing your playbook and not gameplanning. It may be live reps, but it's not true reps in my opinion. AR needs a healthy season. It just is what it is to me. I don't see preseason games being a large part of that. I'm not going to look back and say, remember those reps in preseason... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't know. I think the general consensus within the league is that preseason is more for evaluation than building with live reps... It appears that teams put higher priority on a controlled scrimmage than the preseason reps. Even then, they apparently feel enough to play a quarter and a half or so tonight. I just don't know that it's super beneficial when you are closing your playbook and not gameplanning. It may be live reps, but it's not true reps in my opinion. AR needs a healthy season. It just is what it is to me. I don't see preseason games being a large part of that. I'm not going to look back and say, remember those reps in preseason... 

Oh, I totally agree with your first sentence.  My whole point is that we don't have a QB with enough experience to act that way.   The Colts have a unique situation.

What is concerning is that the Colts historically start the season out slow.  I can't remember the last time we won an opening day game.  And we have an inexperienced QB (who looks great) going against a good D in a very important game.

But, like I said earlier, Shane knows what he's doing.  It was evident last season when we were nearly in the playoffs with a backup QB and no star RB at the beginning of the season.  I hope I'm wrong and AR comes out against the Texans looking like Johnny U!

Well @ColtStrong2013, do you think that AR would have benefitted from more real game time now?

I know they’re not going to rush him, and the potential is there.  It’s just that the first game is so important, I wish they would have played him a half in all three preseason games to further get him ready.  

29 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well @ColtStrong2013, do you think that AR would have benefitted from more real game time now?

I know they’re not going to rush him, and the potential is there.  It’s just that the first game is so important, I wish they would have played him a half in all three preseason games to further get him ready.  

Yeah, real game time... As in meaningful games. These are not, and never will be, real games. I'm not alone in that thought. Simply tool for making money and evaluating more prior to cut downs. I thought there was no reason to leave the entire starting offense/defense out there as long as they did last night. They both had great starts, and benefitted zero (in my opinion) from being left out there. They could have rolled into the prep week walking on air as a team full of confidence, instead they are going to second guess themselves and hear it from every corner of the internet. I'm not going to change my stance on this, at all. Anthony Richardson needs to develop over the course of an entire NFL regular season. That includes a few series in the preseason, but those acting like an extra quarter or two would be big for his development are entirely delusional. 

My second guessing is now in the words of Kirk Herbstreit who talked about Joe Flacco last night, and praised the Colts roster of being a playoff caliber team. Questioned if AR struggles early, how long will they wait it out until making a move to Flacco. Talked about how it's the predicament that every NFL team with a rookie faces, unless they come out firing like Stroud last year. I really hope that isn't the case. But there is a strong chance we start 0-2 and the noise will really come on strong. AR is going to need patience. Last year was unfortunate. I just want to see him grow as a player. And yes, he needs to be on the field with an entire starting offense... Playing them all in the preseason for longer than a series or two is a major risk to this franchise. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 9:04 PM, CR91 said:

Well it happened.  I do not see chaos in here.  Maybe reality is setting in?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

We are middle of the pack to back of the pack in the AFC

To the person who said we would win 3 games last year. 4 if we are lucky - I remember. I had 1 bad season at predicting since 2018, that was in 2022 and you jumped on me for it, well last year you were way off. 

Just now, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Yes, true.  I think Irsay hired the right guy.  But I still think this team is not a good product.  We'll see if I am wrong.  AR is the weak link.  

Only time will tell. We will see. I have been wrong before but I think AR can be good, he just needs to stay healthy.

3 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Correct.  I like this yrs first rounder.  Hated last yrs and I still think getting rid of Minshew was a mistake.  Without him this team is a 4 game winner.

You will soon find out it was more Steichen and less Minshew, for the reason we were competitive.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

You will soon find out it was more Steichen and less Minshew, for the reason we were competitive.

It was Steichen working with a guy he trusted and knew the limitations.

I think we'll find that Minshew, being more experienced, made better choices.  But AR can make throw he couldn't, as well as being a running threat.  And, hopefully AR will gain the experience and make better decisions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It was Steichen working with a guy he trusted and knew the limitations.

I think we'll find that Minshew, being more experienced, made better choices.  But AR can make throw he couldn't, as well as being a running threat.  And, hopefully AR will gain the experience and make better decisions.

True.

Even if we finish the same 9-8 (hope not, I am tired of it between the Wentz year and last year :)), every year things are different and strengths of schedule aren't the same for the same record. We just have to evaluate progress of AR and the team in a vacuum.

There are probably 18 other non-playoff teams pinning their hopes amidst questions and doubts like we have, to take the next step to the playoffs first, let us hope we take that big one first.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 10:17 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think many of us will ever say remember the preseason reps…I agree that everything is limited for sure…but I do find that them getting a game in where it’s in the record books so to speak and simulation identical to the regular season in your own stadium with your own fans and in away stadiums with your opponents fans is valuable preparation…especially since we all know that in sports the energy from a crowd and game day can’t be replicated on a practice field.

6 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Correct.  I like this yrs first rounder.  Hated last yrs and I still think getting rid of Minshew was a mistake.  Without him this team is a 4 game winner.

We didn’t get rid of Minshew.  He left for opportunity to play, plus money we’d never pay a backup  (2/25).  Shew is going to start for the Raiders at far more money than we’d ever pay a backup.  

The Colts clearly loved Minshew but not that much.