Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp August 7th 9 am

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Whatever happened to Ashton Dulin? Is he even practicing? I swear in previous years he was getting a lot of hype by the media covering camp. I don't think I've heard his name this year. Is he recovered from his injury? I legit don't know and I'm asking. 

Recovering from an AcL tear still

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Sucks very bad. Why is Cross not cut yet? I’d kicked his butt out of the facility without even letting him change his cleats.

the good news is.. we have Mitchell and Gould who are also looking like a good pair. We might be okay even if Josh is out for a bit

Because their next best safety after him is Thomas.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Whatever happened to Ashton Dulin? Is he even practicing? I swear in previous years he was getting a lot of hype by the media covering camp. I don't think I've heard his name this year. Is he recovered from his injury? I legit don't know and I'm asking. 

From what I’ve read, he’s had a good camp.  He and Flacco have built a good rapport and have hooked up on quite a few completions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

From what I’ve read, he’s had a good camp.  He and Flacco have built a good rapport and have hooked up on quite a few completions.  

Flacco is a hell of a backup to have, if something happens to AR for a game or 2 we could still win with him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yes, and doing well from what I read so far. Here is a story about him and his start of camp written on August 1st.

https://www.colts.com/news/ashton-dulin-acl-tear-wide-receiver-special-teams-reggie-wayne-anthony-richardson-colts-remarkable-nfl-career

• Like 1

haha how could you guys not be mad at cross? he's so nonchalant like he did nothing wrong. 

it doesn't matter if downs is gonna get hit all season, you don't slam your slot receiver to the ground on a 3 yard out route in practice. 

Just goes to show how sorely we lack leadership at that position. Cross looked like teenager in trouble during that interview. Honestly not encouraging at all. 

• Like 8

AD is a good enough route runner to play the slot too. It doesn't have to be just Gould. We also put our TE's like Mallory or Graonson there at times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Sucks very bad. Why is Cross not cut yet? I’d kicked his butt out of the facility without even letting him change his cleats.

the good news is.. we have Mitchell and Gould who are also looking like a good pair. We might be okay even if Josh is out for a bit

Of course you would.  Not the least bit surprised you would.    Dear God.   :facepalm:

Does Cross have a history of doing this?  Not that I’m aware of.  As others here have noted, Cross is competing for a starting job.   If you cut him you send a confusing message to everyone else.   Players won’t know how far they can and can not do.   Steichen simply says we have to be smart.   Maybe he cuts Cross someday, but so far, that day hasn’t arrived.  

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Hmm last I saw he wasn’t practicing yet

21 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Sorry.  No hazing allowed.  Lol

That ain’t hazing. 

hazing would be making him dress up as a giant horse butt and run laps around the field with a sign sayin “I will not slam my teammates to the ground in no contact drills” while singing a cadence to the same effect.

flutter kicks, front back go, 30-120s until Downs is back practicing, that ain’t no hazing, that’s corrective punishment with positive reinforcement to ensure it doesn’t happen again. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course you would.  Not the least bit surprised you would.    Dear God.   :facepalm:

I don’t deal well with non-accountability if you can’t tell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

That ain’t hazing. 

hazing would be making him dress up as a giant horse butt and run laps around the field with a sign sayin “I will not slam my teammates to the ground in no contact drills” while signing a cadence to the same effect.

flutter kicks, front back go, 30-120s until Downs is back practicing, that ain’t no hazing, that’s corrective punishment with positive reinforcement to ensure it doesn’t happen again. 

I don’t deal well with non-accountability if you can’t tell

I realize that.   I’ve added more comments to give more context to my viewpoint.  Sorry, our posts have crossed.  Hope you’ll consider my new update. 

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

Heard on the Colts official podcast today he has been stacking some days with the 2's with Flacco.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I realize that.   I’ve added more comments to give more context to my viewpoint.  Sorry, our posts have crossed.  Hope you’ll consider my new update. 

Well in response to your edit, cutting him for violating a no contact drill (if that was what this was, seems it may not have been) definitely draws that line in the sand so to speak that you mentioned no one would know how far is too far. It’d be very clear. 

41 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

Yes, and doing well from what I read so far. Here is a story about him and his start of camp written on August 1st.

https://www.colts.com/news/ashton-dulin-acl-tear-wide-receiver-special-teams-reggie-wayne-anthony-richardson-colts-remarkable-nfl-career

An update to my prior post. Ashton has participated in all practices with the exception of today.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/colts-training-camp-injury-updates-after-practice-no-9/

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Going to be fun to see MPJ get chances at more deep balls this year.

love the effort by Brents... but isn;t that CROSS coming into frame LATE?

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a good feel for Ryan Kelly this season. He looks focused and seems happy. He seems thrilled that he has AR and Taylor in the backfield too. I think he has a good year.

I hope he does. But as a father, and one that has made sacrifices for my children to be with me more and in a better frame of mind, I hope he also considers not extending his career too far. He’s had a number of concussions, has had a successful career and made generational money. At some point the risks have to be seriously weighed. Maybe he’s excited about his health and the outlook of the team for a change and won’t want to let it go. But there’s way more to life than football, and he’s got a lot of life left. He’s been on my mind a lot the last few years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

High ankle sprain is 4-6 weeks, typically. 

Nick Cross should be running laps nonstop for the rest of camp. Players get hurt in practice all the time, so I'm not freaking out about it, but you don't tackle a teammate in a non contact session, and then shrug it off when reporters ask you about it. It's one of the dumber things I've seen from a Colts player in a while.

As a former athlete sprains are one of the hardest injuries to recover from outside of ligament tears and bone breaks. It could definitely linger on. It’s certainly better than him tearing something but still sucks nonetheless. Hopefully this helps Gould get some reps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

As a former athlete sprains are one of the hardest injuries to recover from outside of ligament tears and bone breaks. It could definitely linger on. It’s certainly better than him tearing something but still sucks nonetheless. Hopefully this helps Gould get some reps.

lucky we drafted AD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It’s all cerebral. They’ve touted his elite athleticism from day 1. His rookie year it was all about lack of confidence, thinking too much and not playing fast enough. Then it was lack of communication and inconsistency. Communication has been the coaching staff’s biggest rub this offseason. How is it year 3 and the guy who should be developing is not out there communicating and flying around making enough instinct plays to separate himself? Then he does play fast and without thinking much and hurts his own teammate. I don’t get it. There is talent there, undoubtedly. But the best safeties in the league are some of the smarter players in the league. One of my favorite safeties of all time is now a successful general manager. You have to be able to play fast, smart, communicate, and make plays. It feels like he has maybe 2 of the 4 traits… 

If you read the college scouting reports for Cross, they say he is a big, fast athlete who is great against the run and not so good against the pass. That's the similar to Jaylon Jones' college scouting reports, except that Jones isn't as fast. It seems like a profile the Colts have been seeking in their DBs. I hope we will read in upcoming drafts of future Colts' picks at CB that say they are outstanding in pass coverage. In any case, Jones' college scouting report portrays him as having SS skills more so than FS skills. 

Nick Cross Scouting Report: Weaknesses 

• Lowers his shoulder for the big hit rather than wrapping up securely.
  • Has tight hips and has only average lateral agility
  • Takes poor angles to the ball carrier which results in him being late to the play
  • Has never performed well in coverage and has a college career QB rate when targeted of 94.2
  • Doesn't look to be natural in coverage - will need a great deal of development

Scouting Report: Strengths

• Elite athlete with elite speed (4.34 at the combine), impressive leaping ability excellent explosiveness
  • Former track athlete who ran the 200-meter-dash in 22.27 seconds and a 60-meter-dash in 6.97 seconds at high school
  • Has ideal size for the strong safety position and shows major physicality as a hitter
  • Has long arms and has a great defensive catch radius
  • A natural ball stipper - caused a number of fumbles
  • Rare hand-eye coordination and agility, vision and third gear to make a living in the return game.
  • Has good football awareness to read and react quickly and stay balanced and patient in space.
  • Speed enables him to be a decent man cover player - especially on deep routes
  • Has the natural athletic talent to contribute - and make an impact on special teams
  • Good agility and balance when shadowing his target. Competitive player.
  • Physical run supporter in the Antoine Winfield mold with short-area explosiveness to leave his mark on ballcarriers.
  • Savvy using his hands to get to the ball without drawing flags. Willing tackler and high-effort leader.
  • Anticipation skills and explosive, downhill burst could make him a star in zone-based scheme.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Kent Sterling said he's having a strong camp.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

If you read the college scouting reports for Cross, they say he is a big, fast athlete who is great against the run and not so good against the pass. That's the similar to Jaylon Jones' college scouting reports, except that Jones isn't as fast. It seems like a profile the Colts have been seeking in their DBs. I hope we will read in upcoming drafts of future Colts' picks at CB that say they are outstanding in pass coverage. In any case, Jones' college scouting report portrays him as having SS skills more so than FS skills. 

Nick Cross Scouting Report: Weaknesses 

• Lowers his shoulder for the big hit rather than wrapping up securely.
  • Has tight hips and has only average lateral agility
  • Takes poor angles to the ball carrier which results in him being late to the play
  • Has never performed well in coverage and has a college career QB rate when targeted of 94.2
  • Doesn't look to be natural in coverage - will need a great deal of development

Scouting Report: Strengths

• Elite athlete with elite speed (4.34 at the combine), impressive leaping ability excellent explosiveness
  • Former track athlete who ran the 200-meter-dash in 22.27 seconds and a 60-meter-dash in 6.97 seconds at high school
  • Has ideal size for the strong safety position and shows major physicality as a hitter
  • Has long arms and has a great defensive catch radius
  • A natural ball stipper - caused a number of fumbles
  • Rare hand-eye coordination and agility, vision and third gear to make a living in the return game.
  • Has good football awareness to read and react quickly and stay balanced and patient in space.
  • Speed enables him to be a decent man cover player - especially on deep routes
  • Has the natural athletic talent to contribute - and make an impact on special teams
  • Good agility and balance when shadowing his target. Competitive player.
  • Physical run supporter in the Antoine Winfield mold with short-area explosiveness to leave his mark on ballcarriers.
  • Savvy using his hands to get to the ball without drawing flags. Willing tackler and high-effort leader.
  • Anticipation skills and explosive, downhill burst could make him a star in zone-based scheme.

which makes sense why Blackmon is being experimented back at free safety. At this point, it’s not about who is better at what position, it’s about putting the best pair out there that you can. And it seems that Blackmon at FS and Cross at strong is what is it. That would obviously change with a Simmons (or likely any vet for that matter) as Blackmon would switch back to his better fit at Strong. Whatever it is… it needs to be the best pair or there is a glaring weakness that will be targeted

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. I was doubting Rapoport, but now I'm sure his info was right. 

What's the purpose of those Indianapolis reporters if they can't get and report the news on their local team? Aren't they supposed to be the most linked up people in media in this market? 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Yup, just have to wait it out with those. No weight bearing for a while, in most cases. 

I like the depth at WR so it's not the end of the world. And again, players get hurt in camp so I'm not trying to overreact. Getting some of the younger guys some reps is a good thing, and Gould has apparently been doing a good job already. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. I was doubting Rapoport, but now I'm sure his info was right. 

What's the purpose of those Indianapolis reporters if they can't get and report the news on their local team? Aren't they supposed to be the most linked up people in media in this market? 

Seriously...

Meanwhile, we didn't hear anything about Dayo's injury, until today when he's back out on the field, like two weeks later. Nothing on Raekwon Davis, other than Steichen's dismissive 'we're still working our way through that.' I don't know what Indy reporters bring to the table. And it gets worse every year.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Seriously...

Meanwhile, we didn't hear anything about Dayo's injury, until today when he's back out on the field, like two weeks later. Nothing on Raekwon Davis, other than Steichen's dismissive 'we're still working our way through that.' I don't know what Indy reporters bring to the table. And it gets worse every year.

I swear this is one of the worst locally covered teams I've followed. And I've been following other small market teams too like the Jazz in the NBA. 

Every day I read and listen to the exact same drivel and whining - "no safety, waaaaaaah.... no safety... no safety.... waaaaaaaaaah, Blackmon good, but no safety, waaaaaaaah!". OK, I got it... now give me some news on what's happening rather than what u want to happen. Give me an update on the injuries, etc. Today I learned Ashton Dulin is actually practicing. And I consider myself a fan who follows the team relatively closely. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Seriously...

Newspapers went private equity and were destroyed. Journalism is practically dead. There’s a lot to unpack there for a different forum… But yeah, we’re not going to get any better reporting locally. 

• Like 2