Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTAs Thread May 21st-23rd; May 29th-31st; Mandatory Mini Camp June 4th-6th **Updated Title

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Could be something but if you have a hang nail in OTAs they hold out you out and put you in a boot.  I know you were just passing info along.

Agree 100%. 

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Think he is going to cause havoc.

I hope so too. At times though,  I didn't like Freeney and Mathis rushing the QB like a couple of Mad men thus creating huge running lanes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I hope so too. At times though,  I didn't like Freeney and Mathis rushing the QB like a couple of Mad men thus creating huge running lanes.

Bingo. I used to get so frustrated seeing them being pushed out and having these lanes big enough for a semi to drive through. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BCMak24 said:

Yeah I definitely see the league getting rid of OTA's let the players rest a little longer and get ready for training camp

They wouldn’t really get rid of it. It’s just they would just start end of June and not have a break after OTA. They would still do film work in the spring.  It would all be mandatory though.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They wouldn’t really get rid of it. It’s just they would just start end of June and not have a break after OTA. They would still do film work in the spring.  It would all be mandatory though.

No they're plan is to get rid of OTA's and any voluntary work outs in spring....they'll just have a longer training starting in the middle of June 

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thats why we have Buck and Grove. Those two should shore up the middle enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Reporters aren’t sharing much as of now… OTAs just wrapped up.

Anybody know the difference between this minicamp next week and the OTAs? 

15 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Bingo. I used to get so frustrated seeing them being pushed out and having these lanes big enough for a semi to drive through. 

They greatly benefited from us playing from the lead. Freeney - the easiest 5 yards in NFL history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

They greatly benefited from us playing from the lead. Freeney - the easiest 5 yards in NFL history.

Mark Gastineau might have something to say about that, lol!  I agree with all of the above as it was frustrating at times.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Heard Kevin Bowen and James Boyd on the radio saying Pierce was working with special teams if you and wondering how the WR2 battle is going early.

I figured he was going to have to learn special teams. 4th and 5th WR always has to.

• Like 5

Also said it wasn't going to take AD moving mountains to get WR 2. Will just have to keep showing all the stuff we saw on film consistently through camp and preseason enough for the coaches to feel like he is too talented to not be on the field starting 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2024 at 1:28 PM, w87r said:

His last 2 years blocking grades

2022:

Pass Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox - 65.7(27/73)

Run Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox - 49.3(55/72)

2023:

Pass Blocking TE Mo Alie-Cox 56.7

Run Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox 61.0

Others:(2023)

Pass Blocking:(20 or more snaps)

TE Andrew Ogletree 80.1

Run Blocking:

TE Will Mallory 67.5

TE Andrew Ogletree 63.1

TE Kylen Granson 48.2

Ogletree graded out better blocking last year than Alie-Cox.

Mallory graded out better than Alie-Cox in run blocking as well.

Not sure how often we leave our TEs to block on passing, but I guess at least 20 times in Ogletree and Alie-Cox cases last year.

So this notion that Mo needs to be retained for blocking purposes just seems a little off base.

So Mo is to blocking as Myles T. is to rim protecting. 

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So Mo is to blocking as Myles T. is to rim protecting. 

Did you know Mo is a former basketball player? 🏀

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 6:31 PM, w87r said:

On 5/29/2024 at 6:31 PM, w87r said:

Latu has loose hips and can whip those legs around while maintaining great balance. I believe he is going to excel at putting olineman in very awkward positions as they try to control him.

Not "everybody was Kung fu fighting," but Latu is going to mess them up with his hand and arm work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I figured he was going to have to learn special teams. 4th and 5th WR always has to.

That’s kinda my point, AD appears to have already surpassed Pierce on the depth chart.

• Thanks 1

On top of Dulin and AD eating into his playing time I think It could get even stickier for Pierce if Gould is who I think he is. My take is Gould is another guy who is going to force the Colts to get him some touches in these games. And he is more than just a gadget guy. He is a deep threat along with being able to play the full route tree inside and outside at WR. We shall see what happens 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

On top of Dulin and AD eating into his playing time I think It could get even stickier for Pierce if Gould is who I think he is. My take is Gould is another guy who is going to force the Colts to get him some touches in these games. And he is more than just a gadget guy. He is a deep threat along with being able to play the full route tree inside and outside at WR. We shall see what happens 

If that’s true about Gould I wonder what Indy could get in a trade for Pierce from a WR needy team. If it’s anything lower than a 4th I’d pass and just keep him. 

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

Downs would be the one to lose snaps to Gould. At this point I am not one that worries about touches and how many they get. For me all I care about is winning and I really like the WR group we have. We truly are six deep now. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s kinda my point, AD appears to have already surpassed Pierce on the depth chart.

It'd OTAs.  I'm sure AD and downs have taken SP reps as well.   

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Downs would be the one to lose snaps to Gould. At this point I am not one that worries about touches and how many they get. For me all I care about is winning and I really like the WR group we have. We truly are six deep now. 

Gould plays more outside than inside. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Also said it wasn't going to take AD moving mountains to get WR 2. Will just have to keep showing all the stuff we saw on film consistently through camp and preseason enough for the coaches to feel like he is too talented to not be on the field starting 

I told you all so!

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It'd OTAs.  I'm sure AD and downs have taken SP reps as well.   

It is but as the guys reporting this said Pierce was the only one of the top four WRs working with special teams and not something he’s done in the past.  Like I said it’s early indication,  it can clearly change.

• Like 1

Sounds like Jaylon Jones is moving ahead in the battle for a starting Corner spot, not a huge surprise though some though Flowers would emerge at this point to be in the cat bird seat. Baker to the shock of no one has fallen behind (I think he needs to really show something to stick this year).

39 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

True, but I see him more as a slot guy with the other receivers we have on this team when they are all healthy.  Just my .02.

I just made the point to illustrate he is definitely not primarily a slot guy. He pretty much does it all. I think Reggie saw a bit of TY Hilton in him. And if we get any of that then Pierce has a problem down the line this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I just made the point to illustrate he is definitely not primarily a slot guy. He pretty much does it all. I think Reggie saw a bit of TY Hilton in him. And if we get any of that then Pierce has a problem down the line this year.

Ahh…got it, and agree.

Pierce’s drop rate improved over his rookie year last year, and we really haven’t seen all that he can do with a QB that can throw it up there so that he can go and get it.

My thought is that they will give Pierce every opportunity to win that final WR slot but if he’s not producing after training camp and the first game or two then they will sideline him for Gould.  I think Gould wins the KR spot and that saves Pierce for a bit.

10 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Sounds like Jaylon Jones is moving ahead in the battle for a starting Corner spot, not a huge surprise though some though Flowers would emerge at this point to be in the cat bird seat. Baker to the shock of no one has fallen behind (I think he needs to really show something to stick this year).

Flowers coming off that Achilles kind of automatically gives Jones a bit of an edge early on.

• Like 1