Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pick Anthony Gould WR Oregon State

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It is not a co-incidence the Chiefs, that drafted Xavier Worthy, brought him in for a Top 30 visit. 

He is like a blazing fast version of Cole Beasley. Same 5'8", 175 lbs like Cole Beasley. Could be a short zone mismatch and with his short split speed, he would be preferred for more reverses than Josh Downs, and gives AR 2 slot options if they ever go 4 wideouts too with Pittman/starter taking a breather.

The true question now becomes, are we going to move Pittman or Pierce inside because Mitchell clearly belongs outside?? Both Pittman and Pierce can play the big X WR role.

Mitchell has to prove he can start first.  Odds are he’s going to camp behind Pierce on the depth chart and if Pierce is unlocked by Richardson like some think he will be then Mitchell is going to be used in a reserve role and slowly brought a long.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Mitchell has to prove he can start first.  Odds are he’s going to camp behind Pierce on the depth chart and if Pierce is unlocked by Richardson like some think he will be then Mitchell is going to be used in a reserve role and slowly brought a long.  

Pierce seems to me like a one trick pony. Probably won’t take AD long to get more snaps than him.

• Like 2

I am super excited to see this kid play. His in game quickness just jumps off the screen at you.  It’s rare to see someone match his ability to change directions while nearly running 100%.   Give me a 4.39 guy who can run and make cuts at 90 % max speed over a 4.25 guy who can only run going straight any day of the week.  
    Once he learns better route running by working with Reggie, he’s going to be a problem for sure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want to see how he responds bc he doesn't seem like the type to take it well being behind another player for long.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

I want to see how he responds bc he doesn't seem like the type to take it well being behind another player for long.

He's so explosive, I think they will find ways to get him on the field early, if he hasn't won the #2 spot by then.

4 WR sets, Mitchell and Pierce on outside, Pittman and Downs inside.

Maybe throw a 5 WR set out there with Gould (since this is his thread, lol)

I agree though, I don't think he will want to play behind someone for long. I actually like Pierce, but I anticipate Mitchell passing him up sooner than later, as long as he shows some maturity and gets to work.

Pierce definitely has a leg up early, being in the system for a year already.

• Like 6

Venturi said it best - Defenses are going to put 9 close to the line to stop JT, the QB run, and short passes over the middle.  That takes away Pitt, Downs and the TEs. 

We need a WR who is quick and fast enough to beat man coverage on the outside.

I think Shane has those guys now.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We needed a little fella like this as well.  A jitterbug who can catch the quick hitches,

screens, reverses, jet sweeps and what not. Will help improve our sorry kick and punt returns as well. 

This was an important pick up. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 2:20 PM, Pelt said:

Panel on ESPN raving about this pick. Good replacement for McKenzie me thinks...

Well Downs replaced McKenzie so Gould likely will be Downs backup and also the designated returner.

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Well Downs replaced McKenzie so Gould likely will be Downs backup and also the designated returner.

Yes. McKenzie was Downs backup. Gould is now Downs backup - hence, good replacement for McKenzie.

They mentioned that Gould also played outside and not just the slot. How awesome would it be to see some plays where the WR set was McKenzie, Downs and Gould. Speed all over the damn place!

1 minute ago, Pelt said:

McKenzie, Downs and Gould.

Should be Mitchell(4.34), Pierce(4.41) and Gould(4.39), if you want the (3) fastest.

Downs(4.48)

We have some explosive WRs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Should be Mitchell(4.34), Pierce(4.41) and Gould(4.39), if you want the (3) fastest.

Downs(4.48)

Works for me! Either way, broken ankles all over the field.

EDIT: Hell, let's go with 4 receiver sets

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 8:36 AM, w87r said:

Maybe throw a 5 WR set out there with Gould (since this is his thread, lol)

Id say even better, line up JT on the line.  Run the no huddle.  Anytime we want to run, just motion JT next to AR and either hand it off or keep it and run, or run an RPO, or just run a pass play.  Keeps the defense on the field and guessing.  I can’t wait to see the stuff Shane does with this offense.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:31 AM, smittywerb said:

Id say even better, line up JT on the line.  Run the no huddle.  Anytime we want to run, just motion JT next to AR and either hand it off or keep it and run, or run an RPO, or just run a pass play.  Keeps the defense on the field and guessing.  I can’t wait to see the stuff Shane does with this offense.

I say we throw out Pierce, Mitchell, Gould, Mallory and JT as a line up. We aint going to block anyone but man are we ever going to stretch the field!!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 7:01 AM, Smonroe said:

Venturi said it best - Defenses are going to put 9 close to the line to stop JT, the QB run, and short passes over the middle.  That takes away Pitt, Downs and the TEs. 

We need a WR who is quick and fast enough to beat man coverage on the outside.

I think Shane has those guys now.   

They will want to at first play 9 close to the box but we start throwing bombs and the safeties have to play deep.  Pick your poison if Mitchell and Pierce work out this year. I really like Mallory as well

• Like 2

On 4/28/2024 at 5:09 PM, w87r said:

Downs(4.48)

what about dulin

• 2 weeks later...