Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:
5 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but Kiper mock today has Arnold to Colts. 

So we can most certainly X him off the big board. 

Fun fact on Mel Kiper. Between the 2010 and 2014, five total drafts, Mel nailed an entire eight draft picks on his predictions. Two of those were Andrew Luck and Anthony Castonzo. Last year, he got 1.5 picks correct out of every 31. 

I'm now going to go bet my house that the Indianapolis Colts do not select Arnold this year. haha

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Fun fact on Mel Kiper. Between the 2010 and 2014, five total drafts, Mel nailed an entire eight draft picks on his predictions. Two of those were Andrew Luck and Anthony Castonzo. Last year, he got 1.5 picks correct out of every 31. 

I'm now going to go bet my house that the Indianapolis Colts do not select Arnold this year. haha

I didn’t even think he was that high

• Like 3

TRADE IDEA.  I just read where Mark Davis has given new GM Tom Telesco permission to move up in the draft for a quarterback if it makes sense.  They are sitting at pick 13.  We know Ballard was trying to sign Danielle Hunter to a big contract and lost out.  Obviously still trying for that premium ER.  How about Ballard does a trade similar to the Buckner trade.  Offer our pick 15 to the Raiders for Max Crosby.  According to the draft charts our pick coupled with pick 13 results in 2200 points which coincidentally is the equivalent to pick 3 value wise.  They could always add an extra pick or so if need be to trade up. They might not have to go all the way up to 3 either.  I also wouldn’t have a problem including Dayo or Kwity as part of the trade to give them a player to replace Crosby.  I would think a trade like this would be agreed to in advance of the draft and would only go down if the quarterback they wanted was there.  If they did go to three and they liked a couple then I would think it could be done before the draft.  The big question is would the Raiders part with Crosby to get the franchise quarterback they want.  I could see this is a win win if they really want to get a quarterback this year.  Knowing how Ballard tried for the veteran Hunter I could see him at least having the conversation with Telesco. Maybe they say no or maybe they say let us think about it.  If Telesco wants to bring in his own quarterback this is the perfect time for him.  Just a thought on my part two weeks before the draft.  I believe we traded for Buckner before the draft so having a conversation with Telesco now makes sense to me.  If Ballard wants to make a splash move this trade proposal would certainly qualify and fill a major need as well.  Like I said two weeks to go to the draft.  Seems like forever.

• Like 3

Yes, a real difference-maker for the defense. The issue would be a 27 million cap hit in both 2025 and 2026, 24 mil in 2024. Also, have not seen a swing for the fences move by Ballard for a non roster player in his time with the Colts.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

TRADE IDEA.  I just read where Mark Davis has given new GM Tom Telesco permission to move up in the draft for a quarterback if it makes sense.  They are sitting at pick 13.  We know Ballard was trying to sign Danielle Hunter to a big contract and lost out.  Obviously still trying for that premium ER.  How about Ballard does a trade similar to the Buckner trade.  Offer our pick 15 to the Raiders for Max Crosby.  According to the draft charts our pick coupled with pick 13 results in 2200 points which coincidentally is the equivalent to pick 3 value wise.  They could always add an extra pick or so if need be to trade up. They might not have to go all the way up to 3 either.  I also wouldn’t have a problem including Dayo or Kwity as part of the trade to give them a player to replace Crosby.  I would think a trade like this would be agreed to in advance of the draft and would only go down if the quarterback they wanted was there.  If they did go to three and they liked a couple then I would think it could be done before the draft.  The big question is would the Raiders part with Crosby to get the franchise quarterback they want.  I could see this is a win win if they really want to get a quarterback this year.  Knowing how Ballard tried for the veteran Hunter I could see him at least having the conversation with Telesco. Maybe they say no or maybe they say let us think about it.  If Telesco wants to bring in his own quarterback this is the perfect time for him.  Just a thought on my part two weeks before the draft.  I believe we traded for Buckner before the draft so having a conversation with Telesco now makes sense to me.  If Ballard wants to make a splash move this trade proposal would certainly qualify and fill a major need as well.  Like I said two weeks to go to the draft.  Seems like forever.

Crosby would have to agree to a restructure.   He wools look good blue

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Crosby would have to agree to a restructure.   He wools look good blue

Restructures do happen a lot in the league.  So it’s not out of the realm of possibility.   Especially since he was willing to give Hunter a new contract with a lot of guaranteed money.

• Like 1

If we can come out of Rd 1 with Bowers I think that's a very good thing.  Then we can spend another premium pick on a WR in Rd 2 to get double explosive. Or trade back or stay put with that 2nd rounder, take a CB, pickup a WR in Rd 3 since the WR depth in this draft is strong and devote the rest to beefing up the D even more.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yes, a real difference-maker for the defense. The issue would be a 27 million cap hit in both 2025 and 2026, 24 mil in 2024. Also, have not seen a swing for the fences move by Ballard for a non roster player in his time with the Colts.

Buckner says hi

• Thanks 2

What’s the incentive for the Raiders to move Crosby?   I think he’s a foundational piece for him.    And I don’t think the offer of a 1 plus Kwity or Dayo would be enough for them.   I think they love Crosby that much.  

• Like 2

Not against the idea of Crosby.

I don't really think LV is looking to move off of Crosby, I'm sure they would rather just use draft capital and make the move while keeping Crosby. Crosby vouched for Antonio Pierce for HC, so can't see them moving him.

There is also a big difference in trying to sign a FA(Hunter) and trading a 1st rounder.

I still just think Ballard saw a couple opportunities to make big splashes this off-season (Hunter, Sneed), missed out and moved on. Not so much, that he was saying, he thinks we are weak at those spots. Saw couple potential game changes and tried it out.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Not a bad idea.

Crosby still has 3 years left on a 94M dollar contract.

No way Ballard will pay that much or even take that on.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 4:03 PM, DougDew said:

I said in the other thread, I would not be surprised if Ballard traded up this year to get one of the elite players, if there was a bright line to be drawn.  I don't think anybody would disagree that Bowers belongs in that group.

Look at where the real holes are on offense.  The WR group is a known quantity, Pitt, Downs, and AP all played a lot.  The TE group is more unknown.  Lots of role players, and Woods who was out all year, and Cox who probably could be a cap casualty.  I talked about the TE room being less impressive than many here thought.  I I think it is much less stable than the WR group as a whole.  Bowers could set the corner stone for that group, with everybody else filling in as the role players they seem to be.

On defense, RDE is a long term issues since Ebukam is not that, and Paye has apparently switched to LDE.  But I don;t know if trading up for an EDGE is necessary.  Corner has known quantities that can be worked with.  Of course, S is a hole, but that's not likely in the first round even with a trade down.

I think this trade rumor makes some sense.  Doesn't mean it isn't speculation, but there may be some legs with this one.  If so, I hope Ballard can include one of our redundant TEs in the trade, any one of them is fine w/me, to maybe help save having to give up pick 46.

I agree with you and have said it in other posts that this is a year where they are going to go against the norm and move up. Maybe that is why they didn't want to use capital in trading for Sneed? They could be targeting a player if he is sitting there that slides. Do i think they would have an interest if Bowers slid out of the top ten? Sure i do but so would about 20 other teams. What I don't bye is leaks coming out of the Colts front office saying they are eyeing a trade for Bowers. Twitter people just see it as a need and therefore are tying the Colts to Bower. You maybe right about the TE group in that they really haven't done much, so you can chalk it up as another need for this team.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, DougDew said:

Doesn't that almost describe AP perfectly?

Even though  I think Pierce has a 4.4, I am not sure he is that purely explosive wr that they are looking for. There was a rumor that they wanted to trade  Taylor for Waddle when Taylor was wanting a new contract. Was that because they were dissatisfied with Pierce or was it that Waddle is just so explosive and would have complimented Pierce.  This years draft is really going to tell us what the Colts think of Pierce. We have heard that he was open a lot but Minshew just wouldn't throw him the ball. The 22 tells the Colts everything and you cannot hide as  a player. They draft  a burner in the top 3 rounds and that tells me they are putting Pierce on notice and/or ready to move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Not against the idea of Crosby.

I don't really think LV is looking to move off of Crosby, I'm sure they would rather just use draft capital and make the move while keeping Crosby. Crosby vouched for Antonio Pierce for HC, so can't see them moving him.

There is also a big difference in trying to sign a FA(Hunter) and trading a 1st rounder.

I still just think Ballard saw a couple opportunities to make big splashes this off-season (Hunter, Sneed), missed out and moved on. Not so much, that he was saying, he thinks we are weak at those spots. Saw couple potential game changes and tried it out.

Elite pass rushers do not move. It is very rare as they are probably 2nd behind a qb in terms of their importance to a team 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What’s the incentive for the Raiders to move Crosby?   I think he’s a foundational piece for him.    And I don’t think the offer of a 1 plus Kwity or Dayo would be enough for them.   I think they love Crosby that much.  

The only incentive would be to use our first round pick to help them move up and draft a quarterback to be their new franchise guy.  Not saying it’s an easy decision.  But if they really want to move up our pick would definitely help them do it.  Davis opened the door for a trade up.  So they must be thinking about it.  Draft a quarterback high or not.  That’s what they have to figure out.  They could always send multiple picks and future high picks instead.  So they have options.  Paye would give them a plug in starter to help with the loss of Crosby.  That’s all I’m thinking there.  We know teams trade their star players all the time.  They all have their reasons for doing so and when they decide to do it.  Having a real shot at one of the top quarterback prospects might be enough in this case.  New GM and coach.  You never can tell.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, krunk said:
On 4/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, richard pallo said:

I think one of Nabers or Bowers will be on the board when we pick

i have predicted this that i think Nabors goes before Harrison and neither make it out of the top 10. Like i said. I would never move up for either. To many holes on this team to waste pics on the wr position. People are obsessed with moving up for a wr but the team actually looked good with Richardson and with Taylor playing, it could reset the offense and open up everything for the wrs and tes. This defense is crap and  it needs elite play makers at DE, S and Corner. Stop trying to add players makers to the offense.  I would say that Richardson (short resume), Taylor, Pittman and Downs look like keepers. A sight a glimmer of hope in a couple of the tes. The Oline appears to be coming around. Can we say that for the defense?  Buckner is getting old, Paye is not that guy, Moore is a nickel corner, the other corners cannot stay healthy and/or cannot cover one on one and  we dont have a cover FS.  It is really is absent of any true  playmakers  I would move up for a DE and/or one of the elite corners. I am not sure you have to move up for a DE as I don't think it is a great draft for that position. I don't believe there is an elite  cover corner  as the top  2 could slide out of the top 10. Just my thoughts. Everyone likes to draft offensive talent because it is the sexy pick but this team needs defensive talent. We played crap qbs last year, and they did not fair well. How do you think they will do against this year's schedule if they do not improve? 

20 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

So we can most certainly X him off the big board. 

Lol. I get that sentiment but a lot of other mocks have Arnold to the Colts as the second CB taken. I’d be happy with it. 

They way to kind of predict how they will pick is what and who they added in free agency. Not a ton of free agent moves but what is interesting is who they were apparently were interested in during free agency. They apparently offered Hunter (DE) more money then Houston and if we can believe rumors, they were interested in Sneed. They got neither, so that tells me that are targeting those 2 positions as a true need. Buckner is getting older and I believe he is going to want to cash out as he turned 30 years of age and we have not heard much about an extension. Ballard loves him but are the Colts going to want to throw money at him next year as  he will be 31? He is still playing some elite football, but I think wall for a DT is very much like a rb. It comes hard and fast once they get into their 30's. DT could be  surprise, as Ballard loves the 3 tech and it is probably the most valuable position for this style of D. I am no sold on picking a wr high in this draft. I think the coachers and front office want to see it all play out and see what they have at the end of next year. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The only incentive would be to use our first round pick to help them move up and draft a quarterback to be their new franchise guy.  Not saying it’s an easy decision.  But if they really want to move up our pick would definitely help them do it.  Davis opened the door for a trade up.  So they must be thinking about it.  Draft a quarterback high or not.  That’s what they have to figure out.  They could always send multiple picks and future high picks instead.  So they have options.  Paye would give them a plug in starter to help with the loss of Crosby.  That’s all I’m thinking there.  We know teams trade their star players all the time.  They all have their reasons for doing so and when they decide to do it.  Having a real shot at one of the top quarterback prospects might be enough in this case.  New GM and coach.  You never can tell.

Paye  is a LDE and has failed as a RDE pass rusher. You dont get rid of top 4 pass rushers. It just doesn't happen. They are just as hard to get as a franchise qb. You get them and you keep them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why would he restructure? He just signed a contract and he Colts have a rookie qb under contract

Because his cap hit this year is 24 million this year.   I'm not sure how that translates, but the Colts have 14 million and have the draft yet.  

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Paye  is a LDE and has failed as a RDE pass rusher. You dont get rid of top 4 pass rushers. It just doesn't happen. They are just as hard to get as a franchise qb. You get them and you keep them.

Pretty sure the Raiders traded Khalil Mack

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

No

Buckner says hi

Great Trade -Yes. Crosby would cost more than Buckner did. I think obtaining Buckner was Ballard's best trade to date, but I would not categorize the move as swinging for the fences. The cost was straight up pick 13. I don't believe the Colts would ever get Crosby for the 15th pick. Crosby is still only 26.

I have this feeling that the draft is going to be wild in the picks ahead of us. With Kansas winning yet again and so many franchises desperate, I could see a trade and feeding frenzy before us. Even the top corner could be gone. 

The CBS mock today projects an early run on Offensive Tackles and leaving Bowers on the board when the Colts select. The other scenario that may benefit the Colts at #15 is if a team wants to take a shot at drafting the 5th QB inside the top 15 such as Bo Nix or Penix Jr.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Because his cap hit this year is 24 million this year.   I'm not sure how that translates, but the Colts have 14 million and have the draft yet.  

It's only $19.4, as Raiders would be on the hook for $5.1m on each of those years, but your point still stands.

Cap hits if traded for:

2024 - $19.4m

2025 - $21.9m

2026 - $21.9m

Those numbers are pretty cheap for him.

I don't think they have any intentions of moving him, but we could figure out money if need be 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I have this feeling that the draft is going to be wild in the picks ahead of us. With Kansas winning yet again and so many franchises desperate, I could see a trade and feeding frenzy before us. Even the top corner could be gone. 

Yeah, I think the QB class will help drive it. Next years QB class is not close this class.

37 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's only $19.4, as Raiders would be on the hook for $5.1m on each of those years, but your point still stands.

Cap hits if traded for:

2024 - $19.4m

2025 - $21.9m

2026 - $21.9m

Those numbers are pretty cheap for him.

I don't think they have any intentions of moving him, but we could figure out money if need be 

I know where we can find that $5 million difference this year… 

Dog Smile GIF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It will take more than #15 to get Crosby but it still makes a good topic of discussion. I’m guessing two 1s would be the minimum for them to even listen to an offer. 

Not really.  Brian Burns went for a 2nd rd.(39) and a 5th(141) and a conditional 2025 5th.   Giants also received a 5th back this year from the Panthers.  I don’t know why but fans really overvalue what the cost would be to acquire a player for picks.  Picks 39 and 141 are worth 545 points.  Pick 15 is worth 1050 points.  I even threw in Kwitty Paye or Dayo to give them a starter.  I think they would listen to pick 15.  It’s a primo pick.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Not really.  Brian Burns went for a 2nd rd.(39) and a 5th(141) and a conditional 2025 5th.   Giants also received a 5th back this year from the Panthers.  I don’t know why but fans really overvalue what the cost would be to acquire a player for picks.  Picks 39 and 141 are worth 545 points.  Pick 15 is worth 1050 points.  I even threw in Kwitty Paye or Dayo to give them a starter.  I think they would listen to pick 15.  It’s a primo pick.  

Burns also had to find a team to pay him $30m AAV to go along with the deal.

Crosby would be on a 3yr team friendly deal.

I think they would listen to #15 as well, at least be a conversation starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Lol. I get that sentiment but a lot of other mocks have Arnold to the Colts as the second CB taken. I’d be happy with it. 

Only if he is Revis  day 1. I feel like rookie wrs have a bigger impact  than rookie corners

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Great Trade -Yes. Crosby would cost more than Buckner did. I think obtaining Buckner was Ballard's best trade to date, but I would not categorize the move as swinging for the fences. The cost was straight up pick 13. I don't believe the Colts would ever get Crosby for the 15th pick. Crosby is still only 26.

So was Buckner at that time…

• Like 3