Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard would be more inclined to trade for a DE than a WR especially since he tried for Hunter.  Eagles just gave Reddick away and Burns went for a 2nd and a fifth.  He’s the same age as Burns.  So I’m not a sure 1st would be necessary.  He would do an extension like he did with Buckner.  I would bet Dallas would take our 15th like the 49’ers took our 13th for Buckner.  They aren’t feeling the same pressure though as SF.   On the other hand they want to sign Dak.  They might decide they can not afford both.  So I like your thinking.  Timing is everything.  Getting Parsons would be a difference making acquisition.

You think Dallas is giving up Parsons for our first?   Straight up ?   The Cowboys who are trying to win the NFC East?    

I’d put the odds at less than 1 percent.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Yup, that's how I see it. Right now, if I had to guess the order of likelihood, I'd say DL, TE, WR, CB. And the main reason I have TE ahead of WR is because it seems like Bowers might be there (which is different from what I thought a month ago). 

And yet, some people think that's crazy because the Colts MUST pick a cornerback at #15, despite everything we know about Ballard's draft strategy and positional value beliefs + Bradley's defensive priorities. But again, that's how it goes.

I’m hopeful that Arnold and Mitchell go 10-14… That just pushes a couple guys that would otherwise be unavailable when #15 turns up and we still aren’t drafting a corner. I’m willing to bet the trade back is more valuable for Brock Bowers and a pass rusher at #15 than either of those guys… Just my feeling. 

Here's some food for thought... Just how much did Ballard want Sneed? Because Sneed is a CB who played a ton of press-man with the Chiefs... Is Ballard moving away from the off-coverage that he seems to like? Or at the very least - is he trying to diversify the coverage we are playing a bit? If so... again, Kool-Aid played the most press-man and at a high level from any player in the draft(he has over 500 snaps in press-man the last 2 seasons). The other one is... Arnold(over 300 snaps in press last season and a half), but he's a bit under the 32" arm length threshold. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's some food for thought... Just how much did Ballard want Sneed? Because Sneed is a CB who played a ton of press-man with the Chiefs... Is Ballard moving away from the off-coverage that he seems to like? Or at the very least - is he trying to diversify the coverage we are playing a bit? If so... again, Kool-Aid played the most press-man and at a high level from any player in the draft(he has over 500 snaps in press-man the last 2 seasons). The other one is... Arnold(over 300 snaps in press last season and a half), but he's a bit under the 32" arm length threshold. 

Who knows if the other team was colts. Seems like maybe it was.

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard would be more inclined to trade for a DE than a WR especially since he tried for Hunter.  Eagles just gave Reddick away and Burns went for a 2nd and a fifth.  He’s the same age as Burns.  So I’m not a sure 1st would be necessary.  He would do an extension like he did with Buckner.  I would bet Dallas would take our 15th like the 49’ers took our 13th for Buckner.  They aren’t feeling the same pressure though as SF.   On the other hand they want to sign Dak.  They might decide they can not afford both.  So I like your thinking.  Timing is everything.  Getting Parsons would be a difference making acquisition.

:facepalm:

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Dallas is giving up Parsons for our first?   Straight up ?   The Cowboys who are trying to win the NFC East?    

I’d put the odds at less than 1 percent.  

I'm going to update the odds ....they are 0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, stitches said:

I had not considered this before today, but I listened to an episode of The Draft Show(this is Dallas Cowboys show about the draft) and they are not expecting this to happen or something but they did mention potential possibility of trading Micah Parsons(their reasoning was - their team is becoming harder and harder to maintain and they have started losing a lot of players to FA without obvious replacements... they need picks and they need to refresh their roster with cheap high level talent). 

We have discussed the possibility of trading for a top tier receiver, but we are talking about Ballard here... is really a receiver more likely position to trade for? Or is a DE? Especially since we know he tried to go for Danielle Hunter at top of the market money? If Dallas decided they cannot afford Parsons going into what would be the record-setting DE contract of the league... would you be willing to 1. give him that record setting DE contract to Parsons? and 2. give Dallas what it would take(very likely 2 1st round picks? 

I would've said no, because I thought Parsons almost exclusively had his snaps at OLB. But, he actually had 239 snaps at LEO last season (compared to 392 ROLB/LOLB snaps).

I do think Parsons strength is his ability to line up everywhere and I honestly don't think Bradley is a good enough DC to take advantage of that.

If this was a legit possibility, though, I'd be fine paying him anything and giving the Cowboys anything. Parsons is the best pass rusher in the league and he turns 25 this year...

• Like 3

Im probably a little off topic but I noticed going over the Brock Bowers film that he's more of the Kylen Granson

type of TE where he's playing off the line a lot, playing H Back and out in space more so than he's ever playing 

in/on the line.  So my question is would we be getting rid of Kylen Granson if we picked him up?  Probably would 

be a combination of Woods, Bowers, Ogletree, and whoever the blocking tight end is that they are looking for.

Seems to me that there is room for Woods and Bowers but it would likely be at the expense of Granson. 

43 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I would've said no, because I thought Parsons almost exclusively had his snaps at OLB. But, he actually had 239 snaps at LEO last season (compared to 392 ROLB/LOLB snaps).

I do think Parsons strength is his ability to line up everywhere and I honestly don't think Bradley is a good enough DC to take advantage of that.

If this was a legit possibility, though, I'd be fine paying him anything and giving the Cowboys anything. Parsons is the best pass rusher in the league and he turns 25 this year...

I think Bradley would be able to use Parsons effectively.  I couldn’t believe they were able to get so many sacks last year.  Missing Grover for a quarter of the season didn’t help either.  To have a chance at having a good defense you need talent and a little experience wouldn’t hurt.  The secondary was the Achilles heel last year.  They intentionally went with young and inexperience.  And we witnessed what happened.  Ballard trying to get Hunter is telling I think.  He could have focused on the secondary in FA.  In fact we might have been in on McKinney.  Not sure.  If so he was trying to add exceptional experienced talent to the defense.  I think Gus knows what he’s doing.  He just needs a few significant upgrades to finish the job and hopefully our young players in the secondary make a big leap.

This trade idea(article of 7 most plausible deals)is probably pretty accurate look at what it might take to get to #9 if we were to move up.(Not seeing it, more likely to move back)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10114751-the-7-most-plausible-2024-nfl-draft-day-trades.amp.html

"Colts Get: 2024 Round 1 Pick (No. 9)

Bears Get: 2024 Round 1 Pick (No. 15), 2024 Round 3 Pick (No. 82), 2024 Round 4 Pick (No. 117), 2025 Round 3 Pick

Harrison might be the first pass-catcher off the board, but he probably won't be the only one to go early on Day 1.

The B/R Scouting Department has three receivers—Harrison, LSU's Malik Nabers and Washington's Rome Odunze—ranked inside its top 10 prospects. Georgia tight end Brock Bowers is also ranked No. 2 overall behind only Harrison.

It feels unlikely that all four of the top pass-catchers will fall out of the top 10, even if four quarterbacks are in that range. The Patriots and Giants should be interested in receivers if they don't take signal-callers. The Atlanta Falcons could also seek another playmaker to put around Kirk Cousins."

Here's a couple good articles from PFF CB + S draft breakdowns.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-cornerback-prospect-superlatives

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-safety-prospect-superlatives

List for all positions:(the 2 above just popped up first for me)

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-superlatives-every-position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Im probably a little off topic but I noticed going over the Brock Bowers film that he's more of the Kylen Granson

type of TE where he's playing off the line a lot, playing H Back and out in space more so than he's ever playing 

in/on the line.  So my question is would we be getting rid of Kylen Granson if we picked him up?  Probably would 

be a combination of Woods, Bowers, Ogletree, and whoever the blocking tight end is that they are looking for.

Seems to me that there is room for Woods and Bowers but it would likely be at the expense of Granson. 

Bowers could very well be the best player in the draft.  

If Woods is to play the Move TE role opposite Mo, that's a horrible usage of personnel, IMO.  And then there is Granson, who is probably up for a contract soon, and Mallory.  It seems to me that there is no room for woods other than the traditional blocking and occasional receiving type of TE, taking Mos spot.  That leave Ogletree as Woods' backup, since he is probably also not a Move TE type.  There is really only Granson and Mallory as the Move TE.  If you figure that Mallory is backup quality, then Ballard needs to decide if he wants to extend Granson at some point, or upgrade the position. 

You see, despite the high-floor type of talent at TE, the Colts have redundancy and no real threat.  I think TE like Bowers is just as much of a need as WR, and maybe corner if we will be playing lots of zone..  I still think that a true pass rusher from the edge position is the biggest need.  But a true threat at TE is a big need too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, w87r said:

This trade idea(article of 7 most plausible deals)is probably pretty accurate look at what it might take to get to #9 if we were to move up.(Not seeing it, more likely to move back)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10114751-the-7-most-plausible-2024-nfl-draft-day-trades.amp.html

Bears Get: 2024 Round 1 Pick (No. 15), 2024 Round 3 Pick (No. 82), 2024 Round 4 Pick (No. 117), 2025 Round 3 Pick

Harrison might be the first pass-catcher off the board, but he probably won't be the only one to go early on Day 1.

The B/R Scouting Department has three receivers—Harrison, LSU's Malik Nabers and Washington's Rome Odunze—ranked inside its top 10 prospects. Georgia tight end Brock Bowers is also ranked No. 2 overall behind only Harrison.

It feels unlikely that all four of the top pass-catchers will fall out of the top 10, even if four quarterbacks are in that range. The Patriots and Giants should be interested in receivers if they don't take signal-callers. The Atlanta Falcons could also seek another playmaker to put around Kirk Cousins."

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-superlatives-every-position

I would definitely do this. F them picks!! Jets are most likely going to grab bowers now since trading for the DE from eagles. 

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If Woods is to play the Move TE role opposite Mo, that's a horrible usage of personnel, IMO.  And then there is Granson, who is probably up for a contract soon, and Mallory.  It seems to me that there is no room for woods other than the traditional blocking and occasional receiving type of TE, taking Mos spot.  That leave Ogletree as Woods' backup, since he is probably also not a Move TE type.  There is really only Granson and Mallory as the Move TE.  If you figure that Mallory is backup quality, then Ballard needs to decide if he wants to extend Granson at some point, or upgrade the position. 

You see, despite the high-floor type of talent at TE, the Colts have redundancy and no real threat.  I think TE like Bowers is just as much of a need as WR, and maybe corner if we will be playing lots of zone..  I still think that a true pass rusher from the edge position is the biggest need.  But a true threat at TE is a big need too.

I think jets grab him now since they just traded for DE. Either they go oline or bowers.  

43 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Bro Woods is more of the  in line traditional TE.  Bowers is a move TE definitely.

He is rarely on the line.  Did you look at any of that film?  We play both

types of TE in our offense.  Bowers is more of what we use Granson for. 

You can definitely do much in the passing game with Woods, but he and

Bowers are different roles in our offense.  There's room for both bc our offense

utilizes both types.  We have a TE like Granson who is more off the ball like Bowers,

and then we have more in line guys like Woods. But Woods you would be a fool to 

just use as a blocker because he's an athletic pass catcher as well.  There's room for both

because our offense already makes room for it. But my feeling is if we got Bowers it would be

Granson you would have to get rid of most likely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Bro Woods is more of the  in line traditional TE.  Bowers is a move TE definitely.

Bowers are different roles in our offense.  There's room for both bc our offense

utilizes both types.  We have a TE like Granson who is more off the ball like Bowers,

just use as a blocker because he's an athletic pass catcher as well.  There's room for both

because our offense already makes room for it. But my feeling is if we got Bowers it would be

It’s kinda like saying bro we have all these TE already why would you want Travis kelce on our team… like what you mean? You don’t want kelce just cuz we have players that do the same thing but are not even remotely close to as good as kelce? Not saying bowers is kelce just saying he’s way better then any of our guys and could be that kelce type player so why not take him.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:12 PM, richard pallo said:

No they don’t.  They will have their board in place when the draft starts.  They have no way of knowing what will take place in front of them before they pick.  They can guess on different scenarios but it’s just a guess.  The can not possibly know all of the scenarios.  Guessing doesn’t equal reality.  I’m sure they are doing a lot of what ifs.  That’s what I would expect.  But that’s a far cry from definitely knowing what they will do with the pick.  

They have what ifs for All the scenarios. There pick 15 so it’s easier for them to do what ifs then they would be if they were at the end of the draft order. They have there board of who they want and who they will pick if they are there. So yes they do. 

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

It’s kinda like saying bro we have all these TE already why would you want Travis kelce on our team… like what you mean? You don’t want kelce just cuz we have players that do the same thing but are not even remotely close to as good as kelce?

Not to mention we would get Taylor Swift too!

2 hours ago, w87r said:

If the Colts filled a couple of voids with starter level signings in free agency I could envision a trade-up.

Now I think a trade back is more in play. Too many question marks, and Ballard likes his his picks.

26 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

They have what ifs for All the scenarios. There pick 15 so it’s easier for them to do what ifs then they would be if they were at the end of the draft order. They have there board of who they want and who they will pick if they are there. So yes they do. 

I said they have what ifs in place.  That doesn't mean they will know who they will pick.  A team could surprise them and want their pick.  No way of knowing no matter how much you think you have it figured out.  There could always be a surprise in the offing. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

That's a lot of what I said.

• Woods is an in line TE, not a Move
  • So is Ogletree
  • So is Mo.  If Woods comes back, why do we need three In line TEs?
  • Granson is a Move, but contract time is near.
  • Mallory is a Move, but probably not "the guy"

When Mo leaves, we'll have two In lines, and Mallory.  So its a choice of keeping Granson, or upgrading.

I'd rather have Bowers (or probably another drafted TE) under a rookie contract than paying Granson.  I think Move TE is actually a need.  Bowers, Mallory, Woods, and Ogletree would be a nice set of TEs.

2 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

I would definitely do this. F them picks!! Jets are most likely going to grab bowers now since trading for the DE from eagles. 

I think jets grab him now since they just traded for DE. Either they go oline or bowers.  

Bowers likely doesn't get past NYJ.  And will probably flourish with Rodgers.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I find it hard to imagine Ballard trading up for a TE.  He has invested a lot of picks in the TE room the last couple of years.  And for various reasons he hasn’t seen all of them play significant snaps.  Seems like a big price to pay and bale on them.  At pick nine that player has to start and is predominantly a three down player.  I find it hard to believe he would pay that big price.  We are in a great spot to draft a premium player who would happen to be in a position of need.  I think he just sits tight and see who falls.

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I find it hard to imagine Ballard trading up for a TE.  He has invested a lot of picks in the TE room the last couple of years.  And for various reasons he hasn’t seen all of them play significant snaps.  Seems like a big price to pay and bale on them.  At pick nine that player has to start and is predominantly a three down player.  I find it hard to believe he would pay that big price.  We are in a great spot to draft a premium player who would happen to be in a position of need.  I think he just sits tight and see who falls.

I have doubts Ballard would draft Bowers at 15.   I think he and Caleb Williams are way over hyped by most.   I said the same about Pitts a few years back.   I would be happy to be wrong though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krunk said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^. THIS!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank You x 1000!   I’ve been trying to convey this exact view for months, though mostly over on the draft page.  You said it perfectly.  Probably better than I have.  

Though I’m long on record as wanting either a WR or Edge at 1 and the other at 2, Bowers is an exception to the rule for me.   I think Steichen would love to have a unique weapon to use.  The possibilities are endless.    

That said, I think the chances that he falls to 15 are small…. But NOT zero.   Because I think if somehow Bowers falls past 10,  that’s when teams above and behind the Colts would try to trade up to take him.  They won’t wait, they’ll jump to get him.  And I’m fine if CB sits tight.  There should be a very good Edge, WR, or CB available at 15 or lower for the Colts.   

Thanks again for your post.  Well done!  :worthy:    :scoregood:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's a lot of what I said.

• Woods is an in line TE, not a Move
  • So is Ogletree
  • So is Mo.  If Woods comes back, why do we need three In line TEs?
  • Granson is a Move, but contract time is near.
  • Mallory is a Move, but probably not "the guy"

When Mo leaves, we'll have two In lines, and Mallory.  So its a choice of keeping Granson, or upgrading.

I'd rather have Bowers (or probably another drafted TE) under a rookie contract than paying Granson.  I think Move TE is actually a need.  Bowers, Mallory, Woods, and Ogletree would be a nice set of TEs.

Depending  on who is there we .ay get more explosion for wr than te

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^. THIS!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank You x 1000!   I’ve been trying to convey this exact view for months, though mostly over on the draft page.  You said it perfectly.  Probably better than I have.  

Though I’m long on record as wanting either a WR or Edge at 1 and the other at 2, Bowers is an exception to the rule for me.   I think Steichen would love to have a unique weapon to use.  The possibilities are endless.    

That said, I think the chances that he falls to 15 are small…. But NOT zero.   Because I think if somehow Bowers falls past 10,  that’s when teams above and behind the Colts would try to trade up to take him.  They won’t wait, they’ll jump to get him.  And I’m fine if CB sits tight.  There should be a very good Edge, WR, or CB available at 15 or lower for the Colts.   

Thanks again for your post.  Well done!  :worthy:    :scoregood:

I think there is a decent chance he will be there.  Between all the QB, WR, CB, and OL that are going to go high I think he may fall through the cracks.  I could be wrong though if there is a shortage of quality TE talent this year. 

Im going a bit off topic again, but I noticed just looking over some film.  Luke Mcaffrey in my opinion is a really good player at WR and would be a good get if we still need a WR for whatever reason in the later portions of the draft.   He reminds me of his dad Ed, but has some shifty qualities like Christian.  He's not slow either.  Did well at the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

I think there is a decent chance he will be there.  Between all the QB, WR, CB, and OL that are going to go high I think he may fall through the cracks.  I could be wrong though if there is a shortage of quality TE talent this year. 

There is a shortage of good tight ends this year.  Weak class.   Bowers is the only 1st rounder.   Maybe 3-4 Day 2 picks.  Possibly 5 but I don’t think so.  Everyone else is a Day 3 pick.   Yuk.  

Im going a bit off topic again, but I noticed just looking over some film.  Luke Mcaffrey in my opinion is a really good player at WR and would be a good get if we still need a WR for whatever reason in the later portions of the draft.   He reminds me of his dad Ed, but has some shifty qualities like Christian.  He's not slow either.  Did well at the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

I think McCaffrey goes Day 2.   I don’t think he lasts until Day 3.   I know the mock simulators currently value him as a Day 3 guy, but I think those simulators won’t be close for another 10-14 days.   

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think McCaffrey goes Day 2.   I don’t think he lasts until Day 3.   I know the mock simulators currently value him as a Day 3 guy, but I think those simulators won’t be close for another 10-14 days.   

We will see. Im thinking round 3 maybe even  round 4 is about right just judging right now with my eyes but who knows? This is really my first time digging in to him today. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I meant to say round 3 or 4

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

We will see. Im thinking day 3 maybe even 4 is about right just judging right now with my eyes but who knows?

This is really my first time digging in to him today. 

I note this every year, the majority of mock simulators aren’t worth a darn until mid-April.   The mocks that posters put up here before then aren’t the least bit realistic.  To be sure, they’re fun to play and very addictive.  But they’re not realistic.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don’t see the Jets picking Bowers. They just signed Mike Williams and now have some decent receiving depth. What they don’t have is a good O-line. There will

be some outstanding OT’s available with the 10th pick. They need to protect Rogers to go anywhere this year, and a plug and play OT will be there for them. Makes too much sense. 
So I’m with those who believe Bowers has a decent chance to be there at 15 for the Colts. It should prove to be an unusually good spot (more so than other years)to get a quality starter or trade down for more draft gold. The Colts are in a good drafting situation right now. 

9 hours ago, w87r said:

Not sure what made them think it'd be one of the 7 MOST Plausible trade scenarios, in the sense, that Ballard would be one of those 7 GMs to do such a trade? :funny:

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I note this every year, the majority of mock simulators aren’t worth a darn until mid-April.   The mocks that posters put up here before then aren’t the least bit realistic.  To be sure, they’re fun to play and very addictive.  But they’re not realistic.   

what are they based off? I’ve noticed some change in them recently as certain players are inching up towards the 1st round/out of. Is that just based on pro-day news and what not?

11 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Not sure what made them think it'd be one of the 7 MOST Plausible trade scenarios, in the sense, that Ballard would be one of those 7 GMs to do such a trade? :funny:

Yeah, I don't think it's very plausible. 

Colts have been rumored to like Bowers and Odunze, and that it probably pretty close to what it would take to get up there, and for sure get 1 of them. But...

Not sure we'll ever trade 4 draft picks to move up 6 spots.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I don't think it's very plausible. 

Colts have been rumored to like Bowers and Odunze, and that it probably pretty close to what it would take to get up there, and for sure get 1 of them. But...

Not sure we'll ever trade 4 draft picks to move up 6 spots.

I do think Ballard can do such a trade, if his mind is set on a player because of how high their scouts and coaches think of such a player for the system - which I think will be the main consideration. We just can't tell if Colts Front Office wants a player in this draft that badly. 

I was just surprised how the author of the article in specific seems to be confident of Colts being in such exclusive trade scenarios. 

5 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I do think Ballard can do such a trade, if his mind is set on a player because of how high their scouts and coaches think of such a player for the system - which I think will be the main consideration. We just can't tell if Colts Front Office wants a player in this draft that badly. 

I was just surprised how the author of the article in specific seems to be confident of Colts being in such exclusive trade scenarios. 

It's all just click bait at the end of the day. Trying to keep people engaged during this slow time, leading up to the draft.  Fans clamoring for information.