Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

13 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Didn't Harrison have a dud throwing him the ball too?

Maybe it's more about the usage and routes being called? Not saying it can't be Ewers btw.

Yah, MHJ is just different animal... But to be honest I don't know for sure if the QB has big impact on it... It is just my intuition. Might be wrong.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, w87r said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/26/colts-free-agency-danielle-hunter-texans-offered-more-money/

"Though Ballard didn’t admit it, ESPN’s Stephen Holder reported the Colts offered more money to defensive end Danielle Hunter before he signed a two-year, $49 million (with $48 million guaranteed) with the Houston Texans."

If money was close I'm sure he makes more in Houston than he would've with Colts with No state tax in Texas.

we would have to offer at least 1.5 million more in guaranteed money to offset the difference in state income tax. 

11 hours ago, w87r said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/26/colts-free-agency-danielle-hunter-texans-offered-more-money/

"Though Ballard didn’t admit it, ESPN’s Stephen Holder reported the Colts offered more money to defensive end Danielle Hunter before he signed a two-year, $49 million (with $48 million guaranteed) with the Houston Texans."

If money was close I'm sure he makes more in Houston than he would've with Colts with No state tax in Texas.

But did Holder specify anywhere that more money means more gtd money?

It could have just been more years of a contract with a lower AAV…like 3/$60M with $30M gtd. That’s technically more money on paper, but not really.

32 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

we would have to offer at least 1.5 million more in guaranteed money to offset the difference in state income tax. 

He will still pay state taxes in every other state he plays in that does have state tax.   So 8 games at home and 2 in Tennessee and Jacksonville will have no state tax,   the other 7 games will be taxed

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

With the amount of capital offered to Hunter, does it mean that Ballard is looking for an EDGE early?

That's a very good question and something I've been contemplating and something that has been on my mind for a while when looking at the DEs in this draft. That's part of the reason for me to take a deeper look at Dallas Turner who has striking similarities with Hunter both physically(light but super long DE) and athletically (super fast and explosive)... IMO people here underestimate the possibility we draft a DE high in the draft.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's a very good question and something I've been contemplating and something that has been on my mind for a while when looking at the DEs in this draft. That's part of the reason for me to take a deeper look at Dallas Turner who has striking similarities with Hunter both physically(light but super long DE) and athletically (super fast and explosive)... IMO people here underestimate the possibility we draft a DE high in the draft.

It’s a very real possibility. The question is, could Turner last to 15? Because I don’t see Ballard trading up. Not with the pressure he is putting on this draft to produce multiple hits. 
But I agree that pass rush is right up there with WR. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DougDew said:

With the amount of capital offered to Hunter, does it mean that Ballard is looking for an EDGE early?

I think ER is going to be Verse or Turner if either are available. Ballard seems to share the sentiment that the pass rush needs a next gear. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was hoping ERs were at the top of his board. And the Hunter pursuit confirmed that. 

Although I could get onboard with one of the big 3 WRs, but they will all be gone by #8. 

Would prefer CB on Day 2.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He will still pay state taxes in every other state he plays in that does have state tax.   So 8 games at home and 2 in Tennessee and Jacksonville will have no state tax,   the other 7 games will be taxed

that is true. i am sure there is a lot more nuance to it than what we know. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Good point. I do wonder how much of a factor this is for FAs, once they account for the difference in cost of living. Just strictly from a financial standpoint. For example, NSH is probably at least 7% more expensive than IND. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Good point. I do wonder how much of a factor this is for FAs, once they account for the difference in cost of living. Just strictly from a financial standpoint. For example, NSH is probably at least 7% more expensive than IND. 

Each player’s circumstance is different.  Rodgers had no problem going to the Jets in a high state tax state.  Players want the money and they also want to win and hopefully get a Super Bowl when they’re playing.  A lot of factors play in to their decision.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, suddenly everyone here believes Ballard gave more money? While there's no such precedence recently other than for Matt Gay.

And, just because Hunter is from Houston, everyone forms their own narrative?

Having seen up close on Hunter for years, he's an ultimate team player, he'd have done the same, whether Colts or Texans acquired him. He'd not have seen Colts as hated division rival until he joined Texans. 

I don't know that everyone is forming their own narrative. It was reported that Hunter wanted to be in Texas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Each player’s circumstance is different.  Rodgers had no problem going to the Jets in a high state tax state.  Players want the money and they also want to win and hopefully get a Super Bowl when they’re playing.  A lot of factors play in to their decision.

Oh I agree. I think the “no state income tax” can get a bit overblown. It’s a factor…but just one of many. 

Rodgers is a bit different because he’s a QB and has amassed a small fortune in a long career. 

But for most players, it’s probably the gtd money and trajectory to the playoffs (if they can get both), which often is dependent on that team’s QB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nate! said:

Ones were able to confirm (heard most of this on a podcast) are yards per route run and contested catch rate are not good. The yards per route run while not terrible, sub-par.  Yards after catch per reception also not great. 

AD’s breakout age also concerning as the earlier the breakout the higher the predictor to future success.

AD does have a good average depth of target, but that seems completely negated by the above.

in contrast, his teammate Xavier shines better on the both the advanced and typical counting stats.  If was gonna bet on one of them, give me Xavier.

ideally, we land Brian Thomas but it seems he’s getting steamed up draft boards so what at the onset seemed realistic, now seems less likely

My interest in Worthy is limited to late third round, and beyond. Not my kind of receiver.

I'll probably watch more of AD. I started off not liking him very much, then watched more and became a fan. I also think his QB is awful, but that doesn't explain why Worthy would have a high YPRR with the same QB. I thought I just saw that he was high on a contested catch list, though; I'll try to find it.

11 hours ago, Superman said:

"More money" could mean three years, $60m. I honestly doubt Ballard was offering better than $25m/year. 

Haha. I plagiarized this exact post without even knowing it. 

But I agree…”more money” doesn’t mean better deal, which Holder knows he is implying. There isn’t really any precedent for Ballard doing this type of deal. 

Not to mention it contradicts the “Ballard has limitations with gtd money” that I saw when the Sneed deal fell through.

Just feels like spin from Holder, given the criticism of Ballard not spending in FA. He’s been doing it a lot this offseason. He’s also pushing the homegrown narrative and talking about how they gave out $200M this offseason. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Haha. I plagiarized this exact post without even knowing it. 

But I agree…”more money” doesn’t mean better deal, which Holder knows he is implying. There isn’t really any precedent for Ballard doing this type of deal. 

Not to mention it contradicts the “Ballard has limitations with gtd money” that I saw when the Sneed deal fell through.

Just feels like spin from Holder, given the criticism of Ballard not spending in FA. He’s been doing it a lot this offseason. He’s also pushing the homegrown narrative and talking about how they gave out $200M this offseason. 

I'm not necessarily co-signing all of this, but I do find it hard to believe that Ballard was offering Hunter better than the $24m/year that he got from the Texans.

The guaranteed money seems like it's more doable, to be honest. It's a two year deal for a highly esteemed free agent. If you do a four year deal for the same player, you're effectively guaranteeing the first two years, so I don't know if there's really a difference. 

The Texans were likely willing to go higher on the yearly average because they'll use cap tricks like backloaded structure and void years to mitigate the Year 1 cap hit, and the Colts won't. 

Anyway, multiple things can be true in this situation. Hunter might have preferred to play in Texas, the Colts might have been offering more overall money, the Texans might have been offering the highest yearly average... None of the reporting is necessarily contradictory, but we're also not getting full details.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know that everyone is forming their own narrative. It was reported that Hunter wanted to be in Texas.

The "Report" everyone talks about here is the random Twitter account "ML Football" who appears to be the only "source" that said so, and that tweet said "per NFL network" which that particular account - if you know their trend - always says to raise their credibility while adding a sensational note like this that cannot be attributed to a credible reporter.

In this case, Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero seem to be the first persons who reported Hunter signing with Texans, Pelissero just reported the news, followed by Rapoport re-tweeting the same adding a note "Hunter returns home".

None of both seem to have suggested Hunter "wanted" to be home (which Hunter will obviously now say after signing but no such reports beforehand), and neither of them seem to have said anything about "Hunter taking less money" at all.

So, if ML Football has to be believed now, we'll need to either trust them as credible source or NFL network on TV said orally that Hunter wanted to be home or Hunter took less money at all...

It seems really ludicrous to me to trust that after having seen Destin Adams blasted for his false report, and every recent talk here on Hunter signing with Texans basically becomes different narratives based on that one "report".

If you have seen an actual report of Hunter reportedly taking less money with Texans or he wanted to be in Houston before signing with them, please refer to me as I couldn't find a single credible source saying so. 

And, there is that "less money" could be meant differently based on narrative and perspective, it just could be possible Texans gave Hunter the most guaranteed money in 2 short years, and he gets a chance to play for hometown team with no state income taxes - which are all bonuses. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

The "Report" everyone talks about here is the random Twitter account "ML Football" who appears to be the only "source" that said so, and that tweet said "per NFL network" which that particular account - if you know their trend - always says to raise their credibility while adding a sensational note like this that cannot be attributed to a credible reporter.

In this case, Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero seem to be the first persons who reported Hunter signing with Texans, Pelissero just reported the news, followed by Rapoport re-tweeting the same adding a note "Hunter returns home".

None of both seem to have suggested Hunter "wanted" to be home (which Hunter will obviously now say after signing but no such reports beforehand), and neither of them seem to have said anything about "Hunter taking less money" at all.

So, if ML Football has to be believed now, we'll need to either trust them as credible source or NFL network on TV said orally that Hunter wanted to be home or Hunter took less money at all...

It seems really ludicrous to me to trust that after having seen Destin Adams blasted for his false report, and every recent talk here on Hunter signing with Texans basically becomes different narratives based on that one "report".

If you have seen an actual report of Hunter reportedly taking less money with Texans or he wanted to be in Houston before signing with them, please refer to me as I couldn't find a single credible source saying so. 

And, there is that "less money" could be meant differently based on narrative and perspective, it just could be possible Texans gave Hunter the most guaranteed money in 2 short years, and he gets a chance to play for hometown team with no state income taxes - which are all bonuses. 

I thought Holder said it last week, but I could be confused. It does seem like multiple issues are being conflated -- whether Hunter wanted to play in Texas, or turned down "more money" from other teams, or was attracted to no state tax... And maybe someone sprinkled some opinion on a valid report, and now it's become accepted as fact. To me, it seemed like the 'he wanted to play in Texas' part was reported by someone credible, but maybe not. I don't think it's something that people on this site made up, though.

I don't think this is anything like the Destin/Sneed situation, or the response to it. That was, IMO, crazy. 

We agree on the more money / less money reporting, without proper context it makes sense to withhold judgment on what that actually means. 

One thing on the state tax: Robert Kraft said the Patriots tried to get Calvin Ridley, and offered to make up the difference in state income tax on the contract. He signed with the Titans, partly because his girlfriend wanted to be in the South. He's getting $23m/year. Massachusetts state tax is 5% flat (per Forbes), which is about $1.1m. Divide that in half (the tax is only owed on home games), and you get about $550,000, per year. So the Patriots were presumably willing to offer four years, $95m, instead of the four years, $92m that the Titans offered. To me, it signals that there's a willingness from teams with higher state tax to make up the difference. It also makes me think it's not as big of a factor as some people think.

• Thanks 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-colts-offered-danielle-hunter-more-money-than-hell-make-with-the-texans

“It means a lot,” Hunter said when he signed. “It’s an honor to be able to come back and play in front of my family and all the people that I grew up with. I know they’ve been pretty excited about the news lately. They’ll finally be able to come to a game and see me play.”

Gee. Sure sounds like he wanted to come home and play closer to family. Yeah what a made up narrative… /sarcasm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

IMO people here underestimate the possibility we draft a DE high in the draft.

I think people dont want it more than they under estimate the possibility.  The team will consider it for sure

I think we have invested a lot already and our Dline overall isnt bad.  Our Cbs are bad, our passing game hasnt scared anyone in a while.  BPA among the CBs, WRs and DEs available looks like a close call

45 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Oh I agree. I think the “no state income tax” can get a bit overblown. It’s a factor…but just one of many. 

Rodgers is a bit different because he’s a QB and has amassed a small fortune in a long career. 

But for most players, it’s probably the gtd money and trajectory to the playoffs (if they can get both), which often is dependent on that team’s QB. 

I think it can get overblown. But I have little doubt that accountants are working numbers as offers come in from agents to show breakdowns. It would be silly to not have one on standby. 

I know when LeBron James took a paycut to go to Miami, the breakdown was shown to indicate he really wasn’t taking a paycut at all. It definitely can get overblown, but doesn’t diminish that there can be offsetting finances involved. 

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-colts-offered-danielle-hunter-more-money-than-hell-make-with-the-texans

Gee. Sure sounds like he wanted to come home and play closer to family. Yeah what a made up narrative… /sarcasm

To play devil's advocate, him saying that after the fact doesn't necessarily mean it was a major part of his decision making process. It's not hard to believe, though.

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That's something every NFL player would dream to be in the situation, to play for the home team that he most possibly admired all his life, and to be able to have his whole family attend his home games - which is understandable, my point is how can you conclusively say that it was the reason that he didn't sign with Colts? 

It becomes a narrative when that favorable situation is made as a reason for him not signing with Colts, coupled with no credible source reporting him taking less money with Houston. If you wanna state a fact, and discussion is based on that, I'm all for it.

If there's a credible report on such about Hunter like how Robert Kraft explained their moves to get Calvin Ridley to Boston, I'm all for it. 

There's such non-credible reports flying around here about Hunter wanting to play home than Indianapolis or Hunter taking less money than what Colts offered and the discussion here has become centred around those "narratives", and no one objected to the sources or asked for the sources here or just believed random Twitter account. So I made my point, if you think about it, this forum becomes emotionally tied on narratives if the stated sources are not reliable, and that's not good for any forum. 

I think you didn't get what I was trying to imply, but Superman got that so I'll just end it here. 

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

My interest in Worthy is limited to late third round, and beyond. Not my kind of receiver.

I'll probably watch more of AD. I started off not liking him very much, then watched more and became a fan. I also think his QB is awful, but that doesn't explain why Worthy would have a high YPRR with the same QB. I thought I just saw that he was high on a contested catch list, though; I'll try to find it.

Contested Catches in 2023:

•Rome Odunze: 21

•Marvin Harrison Jr: 13

•Malik Nabers: 10

•Keon Coleman: 10

•Xavier Legette: 10

•Brian Thomas Jr.: 7

•Troy Franklin: 7

•Xavier Worthy: 5

•Adonai Mitchell: 4

•Ladd McConkey: 2

Contested Catch % in 2023:

•Rome Odunze: 75.0% (21 for 28)

•Brian Thomas Jr.: 53.8% (7 for 13)

•Xavier Legette: 47.6% (10 for 21)

•Malik Nabers: 45.5% (10 for 22)

•Marvin Harrison Jr.: 43.3% (13 for 30)

•Ladd McConkey: 40.0% (2 for 5)

•Troy Franklin: 36.8% (7 for 19)

•Adonai Mitchell: 36.4% (4 for 11)

•Keon Coleman: 33.3% (10 for 33)

•Xavier Worthy: 23.8% (5 for 21)

The number being so low for Mitchell is interesting(and kind of makes the % not very reliable, since one more catch or not sways his stat a ton. Why is that? Does his QB not throw anything but absolutely uncontestedly open receivers? Why does Worthy has twice the number then? Did he not trust Mitchell to throw contested balls to him? Or was Mitchell... always open and thus... having very few contested catch chances? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's something every NFL player would dream to be in the situation, to play for the home team that he most possibly admired all his life, and to be able to have his whole family attend his home games - which is understandable, my point is how can you conclusively say that it was the reason that he didn't sign with Colts? 

It becomes a narrative when that favorable situation is made as a reason for him not signing with Colts, coupled with no credible source reporting him taking less money with Houston. If you wanna state a fact, and discussion is based on that, I'm all for it.

If there's a credible report on such about Hunter like how Robert Kraft explained their moves to get Calvin Ridley to Boston, I'm all for it. 

There's such non-credible reports flying around here about Hunter wanting to play home than Indianapolis or Hunter taking less money than what Colts offered and the discussion here has become centred around those "narratives", and no one objected to the sources or asked for the sources here or just believed random Twitter account. So I made my point, if you think about it, this forum becomes emotionally tied on narratives if the stated sources are not reliable, and that's not good for any forum. 

I think you didn't get what I was trying to imply, but Superman got that so I'll just end it here. 

* chat chitty chat. You seem to worried about Hunter’s reputation or something on here. 

My “narrative” has ZERO to do with money. Down the road he’s going to make plenty of money and possibly more compared to being in Indiana. We won’t know the specifics on how close or far away Indy’s offer was compared to Houston’s but I imagine it’s not much. But if I were in his position, between playing in Indiana, which I imagine you’re never been to, and playing home in Houston I know which one would be more favorable. 

A little more stats on the contested catches. This is the rate of contested catches. 

In general it doesn't seem like really high contested catch rate is good for you. It means you don't get open enough. Another number that hits Keon Coleman hard. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not necessarily co-signing all of this, but I do find it hard to believe that Ballard was offering Hunter better than the $24m/year that he got from the Texans.

The guaranteed money seems like it's more doable, to be honest. It's a two year deal for a highly esteemed free agent. If you do a four year deal for the same player, you're effectively guaranteeing the first two years, so I don't know if there's really a difference. 

The Texans were likely willing to go higher on the yearly average because they'll use cap tricks like backloaded structure and void years to mitigate the Year 1 cap hit, and the Colts won't. 

Anyway, multiple things can be true in this situation. Hunter might have preferred to play in Texas, the Colts might have been offering more overall money, the Texans might have been offering the highest yearly average... None of the reporting is necessarily contradictory, but we're also not getting full details.

Right. I think it’s just that Hunter wanted to play in HOU. He wanted to be there and they look primed to be a contender, so it makes sense.  

Here we have a “team source” saying they offered more with no real details. So I am naturally skeptical when that happens…about it being a higher AAV or gtd money. 

• Like 1

I don't even know where talk of a narrative is even coming from?

Everyone has already seen the reports that he took less to go home, a week or more ago.

I'm not disputing that in the slightest, I was just posting the article that states the Colts offered him more money, which essentially confirmed that we were actually in on him. Was sole purpose of the post, to show we were actually in on him. 

No narrative in the slightest. Not saying he went to Texans because of no state tax, not saying he didn't want to go home.

The state tax talk, was just about how, even if we offered more money, it doesn't mean much, because it would of been closer to the same number with some additional taxes taken out if we had slightly higher AAV.

Home games, if he signed with Colts would only of cost him around $747,250 over 2 years (17 home games x $43,956 per game(3.05% Indiana state tax)

That's not that much of a difference($373,625 a year), didn't even matter because he wanted to go home.  Still nothing to brush aside though. 

Didn't matter here, because he wanted to go home.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

* chat chitty chat. You seem to worried about Hunter’s reputation or something on here. 

My “narrative” has ZERO to do with money. Down the road he’s going to make plenty of money and possibly more compared to being in Indiana. We won’t know the specifics on how close or far away Indy’s offer was compared to Houston’s but I imagine it’s not much. But if I were in his position, between playing in Indiana, which I imagine you’re never been to, and playing home in Houston I know which one would be more favorable. 

Did I ever say you had a narrative? I don't know why you're still making it as personal.I didn't even see which posters were saying that, but many were quoting (indirectly) that random Twitter account. I usually respond to the message, not make judgement on the poster. 

I said how Hunter is an ultimate team player, and how he'd have wanted to play for Indianapolis if the deal was in agreement with him, so apart from that I don't have ties to what his reputation becomes going forward. 

As for what you think Hunter would've chosen between Colts and Texans, that's your opinion, cool. 

I will say one thing - lot of Colts fans have this "free agents don't wanna come to Indy" sentiment. Maybe, with a GM with aggressive free agent approach, that will change or will get proven right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't even know where talk of a narrative is even coming from?

Everyone has already seen the reports that he took less to go home, a week or more ago.

I'm not disputing that in the slightest, I was just posting the article that states the Colts offered him more money, which essentially confirmed that we were actually in on him. Was sole purpose of the post, to show we were actually in on him. 

No narrative in the slightest. Not saying he went to Texans because of no state tax, not saying he didn't want to go home.

The state tax talk, was just about how, even if we offered more money, it doesn't mean much, because it would of been closer to the same number with some additional taxes taken out if we had slightly higher AAV.

Home games, if he signed with Colts would only of cost him around $747,250 over 2 years (17 home games x $43,956 per game(3.05% Indiana state tax)

That's not that much of a difference($373,625 a year), didn't even matter because he wanted to go home.  Still nothing to brush aside though. 

Didn't matter here, because he wanted to go home.

Who reported that IND offered more a week or more ago?

I can’t find mention of it until the Holder article…and other articles just link to Holder’s article. 

I have no doubt they were in on him, but Holder is implying they made him a better offer. That’s what I am skeptical about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

That red zone reel of AD Mitchell is so nice and it's not full of contested catches... he actually gets open in really short areas of the field:

I'm a big fan of Mitchell stitches, he has the H/W/S and is a very good route runner. The route running almost has me higher on him than BTJ, because he is nearly as athletic than him. But I just wonder about the effort. Seen alot of tape of him not making really any effort at all on some plays. Just concerning for me because I really like him as a player.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I will say one thing - lot of Colts fans have this "free agents don't wanna come to Indy" sentiment. Maybe, with a GM with aggressive free agent approach, that will change or will get proven right. 

Yeah, I've never bought it. If all things are equal, I can see players preferring LA, NY, Miami, Dallas, whatever... that's fine. But if the Colts were offering top of market money to free agents, they'd sign free agents.

The reason the Colts don't sign top of market free agents is because it's not how they want to spend their resources. For better or worse, whether we agree with that strategy or think it's holding the team back, that's the fundamental reason the Colts don't get free agents.

Chris Ballard is notoriously conservative. Ryan Grigson's free agent approach is somewhat exaggerated, IMO; but he didn't seem to have trouble getting the free agents he wanted. Bill Polian hated free agency.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 4:56 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Because maybe he wasn’t wrong. Maybe Titian’s  in at last minute. Even the athletic Dianna Russini said she was about to send out a tweet it was done 

People need to understand that things happen. There is no reason to be so angry or mad. Even Stephen holder was wrong about Jonathan Taylor.  This kind of info should just be taken for what it is. Sometimes things fall through. It is what it is. Destin had been pretty accurate on a lot of stuff. Fans want to take every interested in a player tweet to mean it’s happening. Posts like yours is why a couple have stopped giving info. Fans like to take them the wrong way.

I am not mad nor angry. And Destin is an adult. If he never reported what he reported, he’s not getting this feedback. He knows he took a risk. 

Honestly, I don’t even have a problem with being wrong. I didn’t trust him or Captain Colt. I am referring to his carefully-worded mea culpa. 

7 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I'm a big fan of Mitchell stitches, he has the H/W/S and is a very good route runner. The route running almost has me higher on him than BTJ, because he is nearly as athletic than him. But I just wonder about the effort. Seen alot of tape of him not making really any effort at all on some plays. Just concerning for me because I really like him as a player.

Agree with you about this... there are plays where he's not the target that he seems to take off and doesn't put full effort in. It's not ideal... but in the grand scheme of things IMO it shouldn't be anywhere the top of our consideration about him. There are videos of Pittman doing something similar(taking plays off) when the play is not around him and I don't really think it's a huge deal when he does so much else at a really good level when the ball is actually going his way... 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Who reported that IND offered more a week or more ago?

I can’t find mention of it until the Holder article…and other articles just link to Holder’s article. 

I have no doubt they were in on him, but Holder is implying they made him a better offer. That’s what I am skeptical about. 

So, this is the article where Stephen Holder says, "The Colts earnestly chased Vikings free agent pass-rusher Danielle Hunter, even offering him more money than the Houston Texans -- a two-year, $49 million ($48 million guaranteed) deal -- ultimately gave him, according to a team source." 

https://www.espn.in/nfl/story/_/id/39815959/nfl-free-agency-colts-michael-pittman

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

You may be right. But the draft pick value chart often goes out the door with first round picks. Example: the Colts’ trade with the Jets ( small move down) that netted them Nelson plus several other high picks if I recall. 

Yes….  But the Nelson move down was at the top of the draft.   From 3 to 6.   Points there are large.    

But once you’re in the middle of the first round, the points are much more modest so a small move gets you very little.   To get a bigger return teams may have to trade either to the bottom of the first, or sometimes out of the first altogether.  

• Like 1