Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

I think we sign a DB and a back-up O lineman . We paid 15 mill for 2 extra pieces on the D Line , the O line is just as thin as the D line was . Crazy that just a few seasons ago Autry , a starter , signed for about the same money as Lewis and the new guy ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and predict that you’re gonna disagree with every move Ballard makes this year. 

Dionte Johnson is better than Pierce or any 6th rounder we could draft. Nuff said

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Dionte Johnson is better than Pierce or any 6th rounder we could draft. Nuff said

they also sent donte jackson so who yu sending back with that 6th pick bc the colts dnt have DBs to send lol

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would have signed Davis, and let Grover walk. Half the money, shorter contract, similar player/production. 

Problem with that is this draft is said to be really strong in the first half and equally weak in the second half. Ballard has really whiffed on late round D linemen for back-ups. So pretty much forces you to find another D lineman in FA to back Davis up or spend a day 2 pick on a DT. Have needs at CB , Safety , WR and maybe Edge ? Not saying your wrong , nor am I saying I love his FA moves , just saying I'm confused with all this .

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sneed going to stay in KC Lol.

Maybe not, they could use some other things as well.

Could go get Ridley or Brown.

They can definitely afford to keep Snead now though.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

I don't like this honestly…

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/danielle-hunter-agrees-to-two-year-deal-with-texans

They also signed Denico Autry and Foley Fatukasi

...The Texans have also agreed to terms with defensive lineman Denico Autry, linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair, and defensive lineman Foley Fatukasi as they work to build a strong front seven ahead of the 2024 season.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would have signed Davis, and let Grover walk. Half the money, shorter contract, similar player/production. 

I think Grover is much better. But I get your point... 

The worst thing about this one is - in the perfect case scenario (if Grover is healthy), Davis probably gets about 0 snaps. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

The worst thing about this one is - in the perfect case scenario (if Grover is healthy), Davis probably gets about 0 snaps. 

The Colts will rotate all their DLmen like they always do.

I'm sure Ballard and his staff did their homework and have big plans for Davis

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Was hoping to bust out my 'I got the need, the need for Sneed' line but KC #ed that up.

Haha

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Maybe not, they could use some other things as well.

Could go get Ridley or Brown.

They can definitely afford to keep Snead now though.

Yeah. Last I heard it wasn’t a money thing it was Snead wanting out for whatever reason

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was expecting Kansas to do this. Mahomes has all the money he could ever need. They’re chasing history now. 

They were always going to restructure Mahomes. It just makes sense to wait until you have more clarity on the other moves you're making, and how much you need to restructure to be cap compliant as of the start of the league year. 

I don't really think it says anything about Sneed. That decision has ramifications past this season, including what they plan to do with McDuffie. If they were/are going to extend Sneed, they can structure his deal with a lower 2024 cap hit anyway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The Colts will rotate all the DLmen like they always do.

I'm sure Ballard and his staff did their homework and have big plans for Davis

They will rotate but Davis is not a versatile DT... he's a nose tackle. As is Grover. How many NT non-pass snaps are there in a game? 60%? 65%? And if you are going to rotate Davis and Stewart on those? Then why the hell are you paying 20M+ for those 60% snaps of one position? This makes zero sense to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't really think it says anything about Sneed. That decision has ramifications past this season, including what they plan to do with McDuffie. If they were/are going to extend Sneed, they can structure his deal with a lower 2024 cap hit anyway.

I agree.

No problem making it work this year, in the future it will be hard though.

Just now, Superman said:

They were always going to restructure Mahomes. It just makes sense to wait until you have more clarity on the other moves you're making, and how much you need to restructure to be cap compliant as of the start of the league year. 

My post didn’t explain myself very clearly. That’s what I meant to say: that it’s not surprising Mahomes is restructuring. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Taven Bryan played over 300 snaps last year. Davis will have a role. It just doesn't move the needle for this team in the AFC.

There are obvious things that separate the Colts from the Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Ravens, etc. Interior run defenders are not among the top ten on that list.

• Like 3

I may be late to the party, but, I really like the re-signing of Big Grove and now the even bigger Raekwon Davis. 

CB has Re-signed all the key free agents that are needed for stability/continuity and now has addressed an obvious weakness in the depth of the defense -all in the first two days of free agency! 

I read that Blackmon has deleted his Colts content and/or unfollowed the Colts so I’m guessing a new safety will be signed soon enough as well…..

Perhaps Kamren Kurl, CGJ or Jordan Fuller? I mean if he shot for the stars and signed Simmons that would be awesome too! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

no actully i dnt yu can tell by my lack of posts compared to most here … i read alot have opinions some i choose to voice some i dnt bc genuinely this is a space to connect to colts fans outside my radius. i’m also smart enough to knw im more than likely smarter than yu en multiple facets so i’ll give yu the win en that i responded but just like the rest of my post yu serve as entertainment but ultimately none of yu and none of this will equate to anything so yu have a good day as well cutie 

Well you are right in that none of what happens here does matter, that’s for sure. Thank goodness it doesn’t, or the Colts would be run by a bunch of people talking on a forum.

On 3/11/2024 at 5:28 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Cycle of Colts off-season.

Colts have money to spend

Fans ignore Ballard’s track record and develop shopping lists that will never happen

Ballard spends money on his own

Fans get mad he didn’t spend money on big name free agents in the opening hours of free agency <—— We are here.

Ballard does sign a couple of solid free agents who have major impact on the roster that fans bemoan when signed.

Reminder we are still at stage four but moving to stage five.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

I may be late to the party, but, I really like the re-signing of Big Grove and now the even bigger Raekwon Davis. 

CB has Re-signed all the key free agents that are needed for stability/continuity and now has addressed an obvious weakness in the depth of the defense -all in the first two days of free agency! 

I read that Blackmon has deleted his Colts content and/or unfollowed the Colts so I’m guessing a new safety will be signed soon enough as well…..

Perhaps Kamren Kurl, CGJ or Jordan Fuller? I mean if he shot for the stars and signed Simmons that would be awesome too! 

I’m expecting a depth signing for the OL as well.

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

Taven Bryan played over 300 snaps last year. Davis will have a role. It just doesn't move the needle for this team in the AFC.

There are obvious things that separate the Colts from the Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Ravens, etc. Interior run defenders are not among the top ten on that list.

Taven Bryan could play 3T and was rotating in at 3T. Davis can't. He's a run stuffer... just like Grover. They will both be fighting over those 60-65% of snaps that are available for run plays. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

My post didn’t explain myself very clearly. That’s what I meant to say: that it’s not surprising Mahomes is restructuring. 

Yeah sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just piggybacking on your point, and explaining why I think the restructure is happening now. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

CGJ just went back to Philly.

I think Colts will be signing (2) safeties.

Ready for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Taven Bryan could play 3T and was rotating in at 3T. Davis can't. He's a run stuffer... just like Grover. They will both be fighting over those 60-65% of snaps that are available for run plays. 

Eric Johnson played close to 300 snaps. I think he'll have a role for sure, but we agree that backup NT isn't where we should have been committing resources. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I had some modest hope for Taven Bryan when the Colts signed him for 1/4.5m.

So when Ballard gives a big young monster 2/14 that says to me the Ballard thinks it’s a big upgrade over Bryan and it might bleed over into letting Grover play slightly less snaps keeping him fresher longer. 

Perhaps not a needle mover, but perhaps better than some might think at first glance.  That a lot of money for just an upgraded backup.   You noted Bryan played 300 snaps?   Maybe Davis plays 400-500 snaps?   Just thinking out loud.  

• Like 3

Coming out of college NFL Network compared Davis to DeForest Buckner.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/17/21225086/alabama-dt-raekwon-davis-says-the-49ers-have-been-showing-the-most-interest-in-him

Alabama DT Raekwon Davis says the 49ers have been showing the most interest in him

Here is your “space-eating DT”

Alabama’s defensive tackle Raekwon Davis told Pro Football Talk he’s been in contact with five teams the most and listed the San Francisco 49ers first. Coincidentally enough, the 6’6”, 311-pound lineman didn’t test well at the NFL Combine as he was average to below average across the board. NFL Network’s comparison for him? DeForest Buckner...

...Davis is a big-framed and versatile four-year Crimson Tide defensive lineman who has all of the physical tools to be a three-down starter, but his pass rush has yet to catch up to his run defense.

Davis projects best as a 3-technique at the next level and a plug-and-play two down starter for run defense. He has the versatility to anchor from the nose tackle position and also the frame and length to set the edge as a 5-tech, but his combination of traits fit best over a guard. His inconsistent motor and pass-rush limitations frustratingly offset his run defense, size, and prototypical body. If he can put it all together, he has massive potential...

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

another spell checker lol … i type how i want to … yu shouldn’t worry about how others conduct themselves, your higher self wouldn’t approve, yu also dnt matter enough for me to spell check or correct or edit. not caring is a lifestyle sweetie

O

o

o

Its Magic GIF by Heute-Show

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Coming out of college NFL Network compared Davis to DeForest Buckner.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/17/21225086/alabama-dt-raekwon-davis-says-the-49ers-have-been-showing-the-most-interest-in-him

Alabama DT Raekwon Davis says the 49ers have been showing the most interest in him

Here is your “space-eating DT”

Alabama’s defensive tackle Raekwon Davis told Pro Football Talk he’s been in contact with five teams the most and listed the San Francisco 49ers first. Coincidentally enough, the 6’6”, 311-pound lineman didn’t test well at the NFL Combine as he was average to below average across the board. NFL Network’s comparison for him? DeForest Buckner...

...Davis is a big-framed and versatile four-year Crimson Tide defensive lineman who has all of the physical tools to be a three-down starter, but his pass rush has yet to catch up to his run defense.

Davis projects best as a 3-technique at the next level and a plug-and-play two down starter for run defense. He has the versatility to anchor from the nose tackle position and also the frame and length to set the edge as a 5-tech, but his combination of traits fit best over a guard. His inconsistent motor and pass-rush limitations frustratingly offset his run defense, size, and prototypical body. If he can put it all together, he has massive potential...

Yeah but has he put it together?

Biggest needs almost through day 2:(no particular order)

With some options

Back up QB:

Huntley

Flacco

Rudolph

Safety(ies):

Dugger(transition tag)

Curl

Simmons

Elliott

Jenkins

Diggs