Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exciting times ahead. Key dates to know for Colts fans (MERGE)

csmopar

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

correct me if I’m wrong, but the issue is that Paye plays like our second best end, when he’s in the most important position of Gus Bradley’s defense, the Leo position. 

I think that’s the reason for the hesitation. They might be very well looking for an upgrade (maybe a massive one 🤷‍♂️). 

I feel the need to respond here.  

Kwity Paye does not play the LEO.  He basically hasn’t since his rookie year, 2021.   Oh, he might play a handful of snaps at RDE on any given game,  but it’s a small handful.   The last two years Kwity’s  primary position has been the LDE. 

After his rookie year, when he played primarily the LEO,  the front office noticed Kwity was slower off the ball at RDE.  And it was learned he had an eye condition which has been corrected by contacts.  But in 22 and 23, Paye’s primary position has been LDE.   There are stories about it on the internet. 

In 22, the LEO was manned by Ngoukwe, Dayo and Lewis.   In 23, the LEO was staffed by Ebukam and Dayo.   To be sure, all of our DL have position versatility,  but Kwity has been mostly at LDE.  

Turns out, I wrote about the RDE several times this year.   I wrote that Ebukam was getting the vast majority of snaps at the RDE, and Dayo was getting most of the rest.   And I said Dayo isn’t playing the RDE because it’s his best position, I don’t think it is.   Dayo is not fast or twitchy or even light footed.  His game is mostly power.  But he’s playing RDE because the Colts need him to when Ebukam gets a test. 

There's more to say in this but I think the point has been made.  I’m sure there are websites that might confirm position played by snaps, but I don’t know what they are?    Anyone? 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I feel the need to respond here.  

Kwity Paye does not play the LEO.  He basically hasn’t since his rookie year, 2021.   Oh, he might play a handful of snaps at RDE on any given game,  but it’s a small handful.   The last two years Kwity’s  primary position has been the LDE. 

After his rookie year, when he played primarily the LEO,  the front office noticed Kwity was slower off the ball at RDE.  And it was learned he had an eye condition which has been corrected by contacts.  But in 22 and 23, Paye’s primary position has been LDE.   There are stories about it on the internet. 

In 22, the LEO was manned by Ngoukwe, Dayo and Lewis.   In 23, the LEO was staffed by Ebukam and Dayo.   To be sure, all of our DL have position versatility,  but Kwity has been mostly at LDE.  

Turns out, I wrote about the RDE several times this year.   I wrote that Ebukam was getting the vast majority of snaps at the RDE, and Dayo was getting most of the rest.   And I said Dayo isn’t playing the RDE because it’s his best position, I don’t think it is.   Dayo is not fast or twitchy or even light footed.  His game is mostly power.  But he’s playing RDE because the Colts need him to when Ebukam gets a test. 

There's more to say in this but I think the point has been made.  I’m sure there are websites that might confirm position played by snaps, but I don’t know what they are?    Anyone? 

thanks for the clarification. My head must be in the gutter. I was under the impression they rotated depending on personnel. I didn’t think Dayo played Leo over Paye in situations.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

thanks for the clarification. My head must be in the gutter. I was under the impression they rotated depending on personnel. I didn’t think Dayo played Leo over Paye in situations.

No worries….  You had my back on the tag deadline.   Wanted to return the favor.   Sorry my post was so long.  

27 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I’m a bit on the fence about guaranteeing $13.3 million for Paye. Dayo will be a free-agent at the end of this season and I feel like he’s a better player who has some upside still.  I feel like any upside on Paye is minimal. 

If I had to guess, the final decision will likely be heavily influenced by the new highly regarded DL coach from Pitt.   He’ll get to work with everyone for 6-8 weeks and get an idea at least.  

If that happens, I’d expect the decision to come in the days right after the draft.  Now watch decisions come out next week! :giveup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Don't know if this has been posted, but I think it's worth reposting now we're so close:

Well, to get this back on track..

I guess we won’t be hearing anything until tomorrow. Won’t be long now until we start hearing rumours about who the Colts met with and who they like - exciting times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Well, to get this back on track..

I guess we won’t be hearing anything until tomorrow. Won’t be long now until we start hearing rumours about who the Colts met with and who they like - exciting times!

I need to try and take my son up there but work is swamped right now

• Like 1

I'm hoping AR can show us all that he is the QB some think he will be.  The 15th pick in the draft could be hit or miss but used on a position of need, it adds to the excitement. 

• Like 1

I think FA actually starts this week. All the players involved are in town for the combine.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner meeting all week.  I think deals are agreed to but not to be announced until the tampering period begins.  Here’s hoping Ballard is busy and secures us a couple of new difference makers for the Colts.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think FA actually starts this week. All the players involved are in town for the combine.  Breakfast, lunch, and dinner meeting all week.  I think deals are agreed to but not to be announced until the tampering period begins.  Here’s hoping Ballard is busy and secures us a couple of new difference makers for the Colts.

For whatever it’s worth….  The period of time known as “legal tampering” is two or three days before FA opens which is March 15.     

So any deals made at the combine are very illegal.   Teams would be fined and probably a loss of draft pick or picks as well. 

Just saying….

Several posts were removed from this thread because it went too off topic

It's difficult when this happens. We understand that sometimes conversations meander in different directions.  But, in this case it just went far.  So, sadly, some posts that were good posts were taken down.

Please make an effort to post in the thread related what you want to say.

• Like 4

Man I am ready for some combine news, to get things more exciting and more information on draft prospects. Of course soon after we get into the free agency news swarm, I love the offseason but the time between the super bowl and combine seems to take forever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Tomorrow is the big day, so we keep Pittman or Stewart or Moore, or all? None? 

Pittman will either be extended or tagged tomorrow. Ballard said that. If the other two are not signed then they will be able to test FA.  I think Ballard hinted that Moore and Grover were going to test the market.

EDIT take that back they could still be signed after.the franchise tag date and before FA.

• Thanks 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

This could get the Pittman deal before the tag.  My suggestion.  Same numbers and guaranteed percentage.  Just four years instead of two.

I don’t think it’s an issue with the Colts wanting to get a deal done before the tag as much as Pittman is doing the smart thing for him and saying he wants to test the market which will force the Colts to tag him at some point and then he can comeback and say okay you thought I was worth the franchise tag I deserve a contract that reflects that.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think it’s an issue with the Colts wanting to get a deal done before the tag as much as Pittman is doing the smart thing for him and saying he wants to test the market which will force the Colts to tag him at some point and then he can comeback and say okay you thought I was worth the franchise tag I deserve a contract that reflects that.  

Who’s going to give him a serious offer knowing it will cost them two 1st rd picks?  You really can’t say you’ve tested the market until you can prove it with a written offer.  I don’t think he gets one on the tag at that cost.  

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Who’s going to give him a serious offer knowing it will cost them two 1st rd picks?  You really can’t say you’ve tested the market until you can prove it with a written offer.  I don’t think he gets one on the tag at that cost.  

You missed the point.  Pittman knows he’s not going to get an offer if the Colts tag him and he also knows he’s not leaving, he’s trying to get the most money he can.  The way to do that is to say you want to test the market and not sign a contract before the franchise tag deadline,  that forces the Colts to tag him, to keep him from testing the open market, and let’s Pittman’s agent go back and say okay you tagged him which means you think he’s worth $26 million for one season so he deserves a long term deal that reflects that.  

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You missed the point.  Pittman knows he’s not going to get an offer if the Colts tag him and he also knows he’s not leaving, he’s trying to get the most money he can.  The way to do that is to say you want to test the market and not sign a contract before the franchise tag deadline,  that forces the Colts to tag him, to keep him from testing the open market, and let’s Pittman’s agent go back and say okay you tagged him which means you think he’s worth $26 million for one season so he deserves a long term deal that reflects that.  

WR tag is 21 million

37 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The tag is $21m.  That’s the starting point.  Both sides know that.  Evans just got $26m.  That should enable them to get a deal done before a tag is required.  Ballard said they were close.  If they were close I would think Evans deal should help finalize it.  Unless, of course, they are not close.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

You really think Ballard would have said what he said about Pittman if he was going to test the market? It’s clearly close to being done or Ballard would not of been that open. 

I can’t imagine Evans contract will impact Pittman’s a whole lot. Evans has been a top 5 WR ever since he entered the league. 10 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons - Evans is a first ballot HOF’er. 

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I can’t imagine Evans contract will impact Pittman’s a whole lot. Evans has been a top 5 WR ever since he entered the league. 10 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons - Evans is a first ballot HOF’er. 

He is also 30. It will have some effect. SF hasn’t tagged Aiuk yet so that’s another too watch for what he gets.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is also 30. It will have some effect. SF hasn’t tagged Aiuk yet so that’s another too watch for what he gets.

I don’t believe Aiuk is a FA.  They are just talking about extending him.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You really think Ballard would have said what he said about Pittman if he was going to test the market? It’s clearly close to being done or Ballard would not of been that open. 

Again, it’s not the Colts who don’t want to get a deal now.  Again, as I’ve said multiple times in multiple threads, the whole test the market thing is a negotiation tactic on Pittman’s side to get him as much money as he can from the Colts.  

There is no mystery here with Pittman, everyone knows Pittman is going to be back, including Pittman.  He’s known that since he said he wanted to test the market but just like the franchise tag is a tool for the Colts it’s also a tool for the player to say I want to test the market and force the franchise tag to force a bigger contract.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The tag is $21m.  That’s the starting point.  Both sides know that.  Evans just got $26m.  That should enable them to get a deal done before a tag is required.  Ballard said they were close.  If they were close I would think Evans deal should help finalize it.  Unless, of course, they are not close.

Ballard also didn’t rule out the franchise tag which signals it might not get done by the deadline which means they aren’t there yet.  The franchise tag isn’t a big deal in this case because it’s ultimately going to lead to a long term deal but it’s in Pittman’s favor to force it to squeeze every penny out of the Colts he can unless Ballard meets his asking price which he hasn’t yet or a deal would be done.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ballard also didn’t rule out the franchise tag which signals it might not get done by the deadline which means they aren’t there yet.  The franchise tag isn’t a big deal in this case because it’s ultimately going to lead to a long term deal but it’s in Pittman’s favor to force it to squeeze every penny out of the Colts he can unless Ballard meets his asking price which he hasn’t yet or a deal would be done.

Yeah, even if tagged, he gets a huge payday. I think they tag him today by noon