Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR to throw?

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Ravens got spooked once the initial runs got stopped mostly and they fell behind, that is the bottom line. This is a good video that explains it:

The metrics actually supported it because their runs weren't working. Chiefs got them out of those running plays by playing ahead and stopping them with their base formations. They were forcing Lamar to beat man coverage, Lamar should have ran more, not the RB (they put the onus on Lamar and he made bad decisions) because teams typically don't do that by playing man coverage with their backs to him because of his threat to run, it was a gamble Spags took that paid off.

Overall, lots of wrong decision making by Lamar in critical moments cost them. Not knowing when to run when the opportunity was there, and showing his hand at times etc.

Excellent analysis. 

Read like a Superman post, or perhaps NCF when he was younger.

• Like 1

AR will be fine.

if I remember correctly, the colts got the surgery and shut him down as a precaution and to limit future injuries of the shoulder, not because they had to.  So I expected AR to bounce back quickly.  Also, he’s super young so his body will heal quickly. 

he has all off season to get better and get his strength back.  Glad to see him throwing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Maybe or perhaps it would be better if he gained some muscle to better withstand the beating he’s going to take.

Ok,we get it. You are not an AR fan. But AR is the Colts QB and there's nothing you can do about it ......So tell us ole wise one, given the situation, who should be the Colts QB?

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think you’ll see him play with more regard now. In fact, I think the colts will insist on it. Instead of Lamar Jackson like taking off and running with it, I think it’ll look like Mahomes where he’ll most only run it when he’s WIDE open on the lanes and then get down or out of bounds. Not saying he’s going to be Mahomes level hood, just saying that I think he’ll be much smarter about the when and where to run it.

I hope you are right but I foresee them running designed qb runs a lot.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Ok,we get it. You are not an AR fan. But AR is the Colts QB and there's nothing you can do about it ......So tell us ole wise one, given the situation, who should be the Colts QB?

Honestly, I don’t know. Maybe it is AR although I doubt it …..BUT as long as he wears the shoe I will for root him along with the rest of you until the Colts figure out that he isn’t the guy and end up drafting someone else four years from now. Hopefully the Colts acquire a good backup this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Honestly, I don’t know. Maybe it is AR although I doubt it …..BUT as long as he wears the shoe I will for root him along with the rest of you until the Colts figure out that he isn’t the guy and end up drafting someone else four years from now. Hopefully the Colts acquire a good backup this year.

So, when AR becomes one of the best in the current NFL, you will be happy to eat crow...right?

• Like 2

I think people saying they aren’t going to run AR are kidding themselves.  The ability to run is what makes AR special and part of why they drafted him.  They aren’t going to take that away.  They might work with him on getting down or going out of bounds to avoid hits when he can but they aren’t going to take away his ability to run.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think people saying they aren’t going to run AR are kidding themselves.  The ability to run is what makes AR special and part of why they drafted him.  They aren’t going to take that away.  They might work with him on getting down or going out of bounds to avoid hits when he can but they aren’t going to take away his ability to run.  

There may not be as much work with AR sliding and getting out of bounds as one might think.

Here's a video of AR against Kentucky where he's sliding and getting out of bounds frequently. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’m ok with AR running.  But not running him like a running back.  I want more off script scrambles (unless it’s a rollout) and maybe one or two designed runs to catch the defense off guard.  

basically what we saw Mahomes do in the Super Bowl.  That would be perfect.  Mahomes led the team in rushing and only had one designed run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I’m ok with AR running.  But not running him like a running back.  I want more off script scrambles (unless it’s a rollout) and maybe one or two designed runs to catch the defense off guard.  

basically what we saw Mahomes do in the Super Bowl.  That would be perfect.  Mahomes led the team in rushing and only had one designed run.

The key is getting his passing to the level of completing close to 65% with improvement in accuracy. Then improving decision making. Those 2 things don't come easily without a lot of work, which I hope both AR and Steichen are working on. Otherwise, we will be disappointed that there will be more designed runs than necessary.

That is what separates Mahomes from Lamar and Josh Allen, the accuracy and decision making, knowing when to take the check down and not be a hero, when to run, while being accurate while throwing to all parts of the field. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The key is getting his passing to the level of completing close to 65% with improvement in accuracy. Then improving decision making. Those 2 things don't come easily without a lot of work, which I hope both AR and Steichen are working on. Otherwise, we will be disappointed that there will be more designed runs than necessary.

That is what separates Mahomes from Lamar and Josh Allen, the accuracy and decision making, knowing when to take the check down and not be a hero, when to run, while being accurate while throwing to all parts of the field. 

That, and his other worldly ability to sense pressure as well as place the ball on a dime while on the run. Mahomes is one of a kind. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

He will be fine. He was not even close to being as bad as everyone thought. Getting that up to 65% will litterly be completing two or 3 more passes.   He was taking all the check downs early when Steichen had some training wheels on him. Just when we were starting to open the offense up he got hurt.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

There may not be as much work with AR sliding and getting out of bounds as one might think.

Here's a video of AR against Kentucky where he's sliding and getting out of bounds frequently. 

Here's another video of AR avoiding contact vs South Florida 

On 2/14/2024 at 6:01 PM, PRnum1 said:

Are sure it showed me the same video? I didn’t see a single slide, and that was some of the worst QB play I’ve ever seen. 😢 

Thankfully I’ve already seen him be amazing in the NFL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Are sure it showed me the same video? I didn’t see a single slide, and that was some of the worst QB play I’ve ever seen. 😢 

Thankfully I’ve already seen him be amazing in the NFL.

Sorry I accidentally posted the wrong video.

This is the video I meant to post

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He will be fine. He was not even close to being as bad as everyone thought. Getting that up to 65% will litterly be completing two or 3 more passes.   He was taking all the check downs early when Steichen had some training wheels on him. Just when we were starting to open the offense up he got hurt.

I appreciate you think AR will be just fine.  And it’s true he was far more advanced than any of us thought.   All good.  

But it’s also true that AR missed most of his rookie year.   He lost roughly 1,000 snaps and there’s no shortcut to replacing experience.   AR was way behind schedule with experience coming out of college and now he’s even further behind. 

So 2024 is, in essence, going to be AR’s rookie year.  He needs all the experience he can get these next 2-3 years.   AR has to maximize these next few years.   

This is important to the kid’s future. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate you think AR will be just fine.  And it’s true he was far more advanced than any of us thought.   All good.  

But it’s also true that AR missed most of his rookie year.   He lost roughly 1,000 snaps and there’s no shortcut to replacing experience.   AR was way behind schedule with experience coming out of college and now he’s even further behind. 

So 2024 is, in essence, going to be AR’s rookie year.  He needs all the experience he can get these next 2-3 years.   AR has to maximize these next few years.   

Please ..no more 2 to 3 years away nonsense.

The Colts are in a good position capwise and draft position wise.

JT,the online,the dline and many others are in their prime.

It's time to spend , draft wisely and go for it ....NOW.

AR has shown he can be as talented as any QB in the league and I think playing ,then sitting and watching will benefit him. He's as good as any QB in the division and with a couple key additions, the roster is ready to win ..NOW. Not in 2 or 3 years. 

Ballard job depends on their performance ..THIS YEAR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

AR has shown he can be as talented as any QB in the league and I think playing ,then sitting and watching will benefit him. He's as good as any QB in the division and with a couple key additions, the roster is ready to win ..NOW. Not in 2 or 3 years. 

After this past season, watching how the Jags, Texans, and Titans all played, I expect a 10 win season and winning the division with a good draft and a very good Free Agent pickup. Stroud is good or very good, maybe even great however one wants to label him. I personally think he is just good like Lawrence is. Our roster with a healthy AR is fully capable of beating the Texans. This past season showed that. Jags are an above average team at best IMO, maybe a 9 win team unless they do something drastic to improve, and the Titans stink. 2024 with a good draft and good Free Agency should finally be Ballard's time for a Division Title IMO. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, "he is way more advanced than any of us thought"🤔. Many might say surprisingly more advanced.

I would say that would be a cerebral surprise primarily, with a pleasant surprise with his shorter range accuracy. 

So with a full off season, summer camp, and some helpful regular season experience, a full season of classroom game preparation, film study, mental reps, trusting him desire for greatness and now time spent focused on watching his successful peers, you thinking he is more rookie like is beyond baffling.

I expect him to surprise most again to quickly play more like a 3rd year player. I believe he IS very intelligent and wise and has a high ceiling. Accurate in tight windows with quick decisions, we will see.

I was highly impressed with Jared Goff, but he just wasn't good enough. Baker, Stafford,  Allen so good, our guy and his mates must be superb.

• Like 3

Very happy he’s ahead of schedule!

The offense won’t be full go until AR can make all the reads. Getting to that point is going to take game experience. It’s so sad people are already crowning him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

To the bolded:

When has he shown that?

I have high hopes for AR but he may faulty and flop.   

• Like 2

While I agree he will have his struggles because he's young, the 2nd half against the Rams was the best  QBing we have had since Luck.  I wasn't the only one who was impressed.........................

Rams coach, Sean Mcvay after the game. 

“A freaking stud. Anthony Richardson, that guy is a problem "

I think the most impressive thing to me is that he has tremendous pocket presence that will serve him well and is a trait that you have to have to be a great QB. It Doesn't make him a great QB, but you have to have it to be great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think you completely misinterpreted my comment.   I said nothing about the team or what we spend.  My comment was only how it’s important that AR plays and gains experience.   

I'm already on record saying I think the Colts will go 9-8 and hopefully make the playoffs.   Do I sound like I’m preaching patience?   I’m not.   But AR basically lost his rookie year.   He needs to play and learn and grow while the Colts build around him.   That’s all I’m saying.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

So, "he is way more advanced than any of us thought"🤔. Many might say surprisingly more advanced.

I would say that would be a cerebral surprise primarily, with a pleasant surprise with his shorter range accuracy. 

So with a full off season, summer camp, and some helpful regular season experience, a full season of classroom game preparation, film study, mental reps, trusting him desire for greatness and now time spent focused on watching his successful peers, you thinking he is more rookie like is beyond baffling.

I expect him to surprise most again to quickly play more like a 3rd year player. I believe he IS very intelligent and wise and has a high ceiling. Accurate in tight windows with quick decisions, we will see.

I was highly impressed with Jared Goff, but he just wasn't good enough. Baker, Stafford,  Allen so good, our guy and his mates must be superb.

What is baffling to you never surprises me.  

Riddle me this Batman:  why do you think Peyton and Luck were so good so early?   It’s because they were in college for FOUR YEARS.  Peyton started for 3.5 years, Luck started for 3.   THAT’S real world experience.   

All the class room work with Steichen is great.  I’m sure AR will maximize his lost season.   But it is still a lost season — period.   There is NO SUBSTITUTE for real experience.   There are no shortcuts to real experience.  The kid has to play to get better.  

For the record, I love AR.  I’m on record predicting a 9-8 season.  I think he’s a great kid with a bright future,  but he’s got to learn which means he’ll make mistakes which every young quarterback does.  

He can be better than we all thought and still need experience.  These two views are not mutually exclusive.  Both can be true.   That’s why Ballard said “let’s not crown him just yet.”

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DavePSL said:

While I agree he will have his struggles because he's young, the 2nd half against the Rams was the best  QBing we have had since Luck.  I wasn't the only one who was impressed.........................

Rams coach, Sean Mcvay after the game. 

“A freaking stud. Anthony Richardson, that guy is a problem "

I think the most impressive thing to me is that he has tremendous pocket presence that will serve him well and is a trait that you have to have to be a great QB. It Doesn't make him a great QB, but you have to have it to be great.

There's just a pretty big difference between a great half of football and putting together a great season of football let alone stringing together multiple such seasons.

Yes, there's promise. Yes, we all hope the best of last season is what we're going to get going forward from him. But, how about we let him prove that's what we're gonna get instead of crowning him already?

It's just beyond unreasonable how people are already crowning him. People are already proudly proclaiming he'll be the one to topple Mahomes... after 3 games of football... I get being a fan, but come on...

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you completely misinterpreted my comment.   I said nothing about the team or what we spend.  My comment was only how it’s important that AR plays and gains experience.   

I'm already on record saying I think the Colts will go 9-8 and hopefully make the playoffs.   Do I sound like I’m preaching patience?   I’m not.   But AR basically lost his rookie year.   He needs to play and learn and grow while the Colts build around him.   That’s all I’m saying.  

Colin Cowherd had his way too early playoff team prediction. He predicts the Colts wins their division and thinks AR getting injured and sitting to learn will be a benefit...NOT A SETBACK. He also likes Shane as a favorite to win coach of the year. Just one mans opinion I know.

• Like 1

Riddle me this Batman:  why do you think Peyton and Luck were so good so early?   It’s because they were in college for FOUR YEARS.  Peyton started for 3.5 years, Luck started for 3.   THAT’S real world experience.   

All the class room work with Steichen is great.  I’m sure AR will maximize his lost season.   But it is still a lost season — period.   There is NO SUBSTITUTE for real experience.   There are no shortcuts to real experience.  The kid has to play to get better.  

For the record, I love AR.  I’m on record predicting a 9-8 season.  I think he’s a great kid with a bright future,  but he’s got to learn which means he’ll make mistakes which every young quarterback does.  

He can be better than we all thought and still need experience.  These two views are not mutually exclusive.  Both can be true.   That’s why Ballard said “let’s not crown him just yet.”

Sorry pal ...it was not a " lost" season for AR.

Did Jordan Love have...3 lost seasons?

• Like 1

Patience is what it will require. Of course I wish the patience would be in the past few miserable seasons with someone like Jordan Love, instead of no long term solutions, but that’s hindsight. We have our guy. He’s got work to do, and mistake to make and learn from. Give him some time and hopefully we can be on here discussing small problems of how we can afford certain players and build a championship roster with a $50 million qb. 

• Like 2

:facepalm:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sorry pal ...it was not a " lost" season for AR.

Did Jordan Love have...3 lost seasons?

Yes Jordan Love had three lost seasons.  You’re certainly not recommending that AR not play for three years are you?

But Love had much MUCH more experience in college than Richardson did in college.   Love also had three years with the Packers before he played.   AR has only had one. 

Sorry, you’re so determined to prove me wrong you’re making bad arguments.   And to think all I said is that AR needs more experience.   How outrageous of me! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes Jordan Love had three lost seasons.  You’re certainly not recommending that AR not play for three years are you?

But Love had much MUCH more experience in college than Richardson did in college.   Love also had three years with the Packers before he played.   AR has only had one. 

Sorry, you’re so determined to prove me wrong you’re making bad arguments.   And to think all I said is that AR needs more experience.   How outrageous of me! 

Are Loves 3 seasons before playing better than ARs 1 if they are lost seasons?

19 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

:facepalm:

Dear God, you have a serious problem.   That argument I just made is airtight.  If you have a problem with it, that’s a YOU problem.   

There isn’t a yeah, but argument to make.  So stop making bad arguments.  

• Like 1

Just now, KB said:

Are Loves 3 seasons before playing better than ARs 1 if they are lost seasons?

Well….  Love had three years of coaching with GB.   Three years of preseason games before he got the keys to the car this year.  

So if you think AR was helped by one year, then Love’s three years should be better.  

Again, AR’s biggest problem coming out of college was a lack of experience.  13 games.   Now AR only played a small fraction of snaps as a rookie.  So he still has a lack of experience.   And AR has to play to gain experience.   

And I seem to have upset some who think AR should be viewed as someone whose off-the-field sessions with Steichen makes up for not playing most of the season.  This is false.  100 percent false.   

• Like 2

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  Love had three years of coaching with GB.   Three years of preseason games before he got the keys to the car this year.  

So if you think AR was helped by one year, then Love’s three years should be better.  

Again, AR’s biggest problem coming out of college was a lack of experience.  13 games.   Now AR only played a small fraction of snaps as a rookie.  So he still has a lack of experience.   And AR has to play to gain experience.   

And I seem to have upset some who think AR should be viewed as someone whose off-the-field sessions with Steichen makes up for not playing most of the season.  This is false.  100 percent false.   

I'd say the season isn't lost if there is benefit to them sitting and learning. I'd say the best example wouldn't be Love, but Mahommes. He didn't play much at all his first season and the one year of classroom work with Reid paid huge dividends.

I do agree with the latter part of AR needing the experience and reps. Mohommes and Love had more in game reps to go with their sitting and learning. I do think the year of studying will work well if AR put in the work that he preached after getting drafted.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...you said the Colts would win 4 games this past season and they won 9 and almost won the division so you were only 5 wins off. :lol: 

I said 10 wins ,so I was 1 off. 

My early prediction is 10 wins again...I may up that total depending on what we do in free agency and the draft.

• Like 2

Colin Cowherd had his way too early playoff team prediction. He predicts the Colts wins their division and thinks AR getting injured and sitting to learn will be a benefit...NOT A SETBACK. He also likes Shane as a favorite to win coach of the year. Just one mans opinion I know.

Cowherd is not a good person to follow.

• Like 1

Well...you said the Colts would win 4 games this past season and they won 9 and almost won the division so you were only 5 wins off. :lol: 

I said 10 wins ,so I was 1 off. 

My early prediction is 10 wins again...I may up that total depending on what we do in free agency and the draft.

Nice try.   I never said 4.   Never even came close to four.  I know you don’t like me but you have me confused with someone else you hate.   

My first prediction for the 2023 season a year ago was for 6 wins.  After the draft, I bumped it to 7 wins.   I made multiple posts on both.   

For 2024, I’ve already predicted 9 wins.  I could revise that after we all see what the team does in free agency and the draft.