Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023/24 NFL Weekly Pick'em Playoff Contest Thread

This is a separate thing compared to our Regular Season Weekly Pick'em Threads. Our Regular Season Picks are in the books and everyone's W/L record will remain the same regarding that and where you finished won't change. Moe and I still share the Championship.

@Moe, @chad72, @EasyE, @Chrisaaron1023, @w87r, @VikingsFanInChennai, @coltsva, @RollerColt, and @Solid84 if you all are interested in this, we can make Playoff picks and see who wins this. Chad will lay down the rules for it here in a while.

@Solid84, you could win this because everyone is 0-0 regarding this. @NFLfan, Please pin this. We are addicts for Football chuckling homer simpson GIF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Here are the scoring rules:

Wild-card weekend: Jan. 13, 14 and 15

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills

Scoring for right predictions : +1 for wild card round, +2 for divisional round, +4 for conference championship, +8 for Super Bowl - ALL predictions can be changed up to game time

Bonus scoring (points in parentheses): Predict range of margin of victory right. The options are

1. 1-3 (+2)

2. 4-6 (+2)

3. 7-10 (+2)

4. 11-13 (+2)

5. 14-20 (+1)

6. 20+ (+1)

The above scoring is designed mainly because getting prediction right within the window of 3-4 points is harder than window of 7 points or more. Happy participation!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Moe @2006Coltsbestever @Solid84 @NFLfan @jvan1973 @VikingsFanInChennai @coltsva @RollerColt @w87r @EasyE and anyone else, feel free to throw your hat in the ring here.

I will go first, based on the above rules:

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (victory margin 11-13)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (victory margin 1-3)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (victory margin 4-6)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (victory margin 1-3)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (victory margin 7-10)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills (victory margin 14-20)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (victory margin 7 to 10)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (victory margin 7-10)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (victory margin 4-6)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (victory margin 1-3)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (victory margin 7-10)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills (victory margin 7 -10)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys -- (victory margin 7-10)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions -- (victory margin 1-3)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- (victory margin 1-3)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans -- (victory margin 4-6)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs -- (victory margin 1-3)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills -- (victory margin 14-20)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@Moe @2006Coltsbestever @Solid84 @NFLfan @jvan1973 @VikingsFanInChennai @coltsva @RollerColt @w87r @EasyE and anyone else, feel free to throw your hat in the ring here.

I will go first, based on the above rules:

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (victory margin 11-13)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (victory margin 1-3)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (victory margin 1-3)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (victory margin 7-10)

I used your format but my picks are different.   

• Like 2

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (victory margin 7-10)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (victory margin 4-6)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (victory margin 7-10)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (victory margin 11-13)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• NFLfan pinned and featured this topic
49 minutes ago, coltsva said:

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (victory margin 7-10)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (victory margin 4-6)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (victory margin 7-10)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (victory margin 11-13)

All Chiefs losses have been by 1 score except for the Broncos - Mahomes flu ridden game they lost. Dolphins have underwhelmed against good playoff teams. Quite the bet on Tyreek Hill and company and the margin @coltsva

That is why they play the game. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am all in. I have to think about my points per margin on my picks so I am not ready to make official picks yet. At the end of the day between Chad and I, we will get everyone's totals right. The fun stuff continues. eddie murphy enjoy GIF

I think that is where this contest will be won or lost because everyone gets a reset based on which NFL team moves on to the next round, making it easier to pick as we get farther in the real playoffs. But the margin of victory, that will make or break the points leader, when it is all said and done. Even garbage scores have to be factored in. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, chad72 said:

I think that is where this contest will be won or lost because everyone gets a reset based on which NFL team moves on to the next round, making it easier to pick as we get farther in the real playoffs. But the margin of victory, that will make or break the points leader, when it is all said and done. Even garbage scores have to be factored in. 

I agree, great thinking because most people will pick the same teams to win with very little games, but predicting the margin of victory makes it more interesting and really fun. 

• Like 1

NFC 

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (7-10pts)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions(1-3pts)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers(7-10pts)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans(7-10pts)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs(1-3pts)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills((7-10)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

All Chiefs losses have been by 1 score except for the Broncos - Mahomes flu ridden game they lost. Dolphins have underwhelmed against good playoff teams. Quite the bet on Tyreek Hill and company and the margin @coltsva

That is why they play the game. :) 

I just get a feeling this game could get away from the Chiefs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I just get a feeling this game could get away from the Chiefs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

If they were a leaky team on D, I could see that. But their floor is because of their D unlike years past and the only team that went bonkers and scored more than 24 the ENTIRE year on them is the Packers on the road with 27. That’s why the margin you chose is hard to imagine even if I could see a Chiefs loss.

Anyways, we will see how it goes.

11 hours ago, Solid84 said:

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys -- (victory margin 7-10)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions -- (victory margin 1-3)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- (victory margin 1-3)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans -- (victory margin 4-6)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs -- (victory margin 1-3)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills -- (victory margin 14-20)

Darn... I thought you'd pick from the conference championship week, not participating in first 2 weeks :sarcasm:

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Darn... I thought you'd pick from the conference championship week, not participating in first 2 weeks :sarcasm:

I considered it, but figured I'd give myself a chance this time. haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I considered it, but figured I'd give myself a chance this time. haha

I don’t know about you but I’m getting the Red Sox/Cubs curse breaking run by the Bills this time.

Starting with 2019, the team that beat the Bills has lost in the next round (2019 Texans, 2020 Chiefs, 2021 Chiefs, 2022 Bengals). So the only way that can be broken is for the Bills to win it all Ala Red Sox and Cubs mode.

I did put a bet on the Ravens to win it all in February, but if they beat the bills, the curse is upon them :) 

• Like 1

The Bills have had a bit of a surge lately and I think they could be a real threat.

Bills - Ravens would be a really good AFC Championship game. They could put the curse the Ravens, but I could see the Bills going all the way as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The Bills have had a bit of a surge lately and I think they could be a real threat.

Bills - Ravens would be a really good AFC Championship game. They could put the curse the Ravens, but I could see the Bills going all the way as well.

0-4 is the trend above, 0-4 is the Bills' SB record, 0-4 was the record of Bill Polian who built those Bills' SB teams when Colts beat Bears to give Polian 1-4 record. It is all coming to fruition this year. :) 

Josh Allen and Sean McDermott seem to have some fire on the offensive and defensive side of the ball that I have not seen before like they don't care about turnovers and they are going to keep swinging. 

Remember when we wanted the State Farm SB between Mahomes and Rodgers in 2020?? This year, it is going to be the media "wanting" a John Harbaugh SB win to match his brother Jim Harbaugh in college the same way. That year, Tom Brady crashed that party by beating Rodgers on the road in the NFCCG in a very close game, which I felt was the SB, the way the Packers and Bucs were both playing, and Mahomes without his starting OTs didn't stand much of a chance running around like a chicken with its head cut off throughout the SB vs the Bucs. This year, everyone is going to want Lamar Jackson and John Harbaugh to do it, and Josh Allen and the Bills are going to crash the party in a close AFCCG win and eventual SB win demolishing the NFC rep, IMO.

Bucs were 7-5 at one point in 2020, went to their bye week, and reeled off 8 games in a row to win the SB. Now, Bills would have to win 9 in a row to pull that off, easier said than done. If it is the Cowboys, it would make it that much sweeter for Bills fans. :) 

I know I am thinking far ahead :) but at least I am making it official if things happen that way.

• Like 1

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (victory margin 11-13)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (victory margin 4-6)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (victory margin 11-13)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (victory margin 1-3)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (victory margin 4-6)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills (victory margin 14-20)

• Like 2

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys (4-6)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions (7-10)

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-10)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans (14-20)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs (1-3)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills 11-13)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

If they were a leaky team on D, I could see that. But their floor is because of their D unlike years past and the only team that went bonkers and scored more than 24 the ENTIRE year on them is the Packers on the road with 27. That’s why the margin you chose is hard to imagine even if I could see a Chiefs loss.

Anyways, we will see how it goes.

Based on my picks this year, it’s probably Chiefs in a blowout! 

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here are the scoring rules:

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions

(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills

Scoring for right predictions : +1 for wild card round, +2 for divisional round, +4 for conference championship, +8 for Super Bowl - ALL predictions can be changed up to game time

Bonus scoring (points in parentheses): Predict range of margin of victory right. The options are

1. 1-3 (+2)

2. 4-6 (+2)

3. 7-10 (+2)

4. 11-13 (+2)

5. 14-20 (+1)

6. 20+ (+1)

The above scoring is designed mainly because getting prediction right within the window of 3-4 points is harder than window of 7 points or more. Happy participation!!!

I like the scoring system, but don't see any difference in the score between the prediction range until it becomes two scores or more. Why? 

33 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I like the scoring system, but don't see any difference in the score between the prediction range until it becomes two scores or more. Why? 

The range of points is higher and so the dart you throw can hit a larger range :)  But you still get credit for getting closer to the larger range 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 1:06 PM, chad72 said:

The range of points is higher and so the dart you throw can hit a larger range :)  But you still get credit for getting closer to the larger range 

Is this a pickem or do I have to put points up? Sorry kind of confused? Not hard to do to a older guy like myself. Lol

19 minutes ago, EasyE said:

Is this a pickem or do I have to put points up? Sorry kind of confused? Not hard to do to a older guy like myself. Lol

Just follow what the others did. Pick the winner of each matchup and the margin of victory next to each matchup in parentheses. The margin of victory is the additional bonus point determination. That is all you need to go with your entries.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just follow what the others did. Pick the winner of each matchup and the margin of victory next to each matchup in parentheses. The margin of victory is the additional bonus point determination. That is all you need to go with your entries.

Packers (4-6)

Rams (1-3)

Bucs (4-6)

Browns (7-10)

Chiefs (7-10)

Bills (11-13

Is this right?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EasyE said:

Packers (4-6)

Rams (1-3)

Bucs (4-6)

Browns (7-10)

Chiefs (7-10)

Bills (11-13

Is this right?

I hope you’re right about the Packers I’d love for them to beat the Cowboys!

• Like 1

I'll Play

NFC

(7) Green Bay Packers at (2) Dallas Cowboys. 7-10 (+2)

(6) Los Angeles Rams at (3) Detroit Lions  4-6 (+2)
(5) Philadelphia Eagles at (4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4-6 (+2)

AFC

(5) Cleveland Browns at (4) Houston Texans 4-6 (+2)

(6) Miami Dolphins at (3) Kansas City Chiefs  4-6 (+2)

(7) Pittsburgh Steelers at (2) Buffalo Bills 11-13 (+2)

Bonus scoring (points in parentheses): Predict range of margin of victory right. The options are

1. 1-3 (+2)

2. 4-6 (+2)

3. 7-10 (+2)

4. 11-13 (+2)

5. 14-20 (+1)

6. 20+ (+1)

SO LET IT BE WRITTEN.... SO LET IT BE DONE.  🤣

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

...and the Dolphins too, lol 😄

I did not watch the game, but it seems the Dolphins going into frigid KC was very much like the playoff game a few years ago in KC with Colts/Luck.