Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023/24 NFL Weekly Pick'em Playoff Contest Thread

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Amazing! Congrats. 

I Cant Lose Michael J Fox GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@w87rhas this Playoff picking contest in the bag.

Not a lock yet, think by my unofficial tally I would have a 7pts lead over solid? Could be wrong?

• Like 2

AFTER DIVISIONAL ROUND:

@jvan1973 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 12 points

@chad72 6 points for 3 winners (3-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 11 points

@Solid84 6 points for 3 winners (3-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 15 points

@coltsva 2 points for 1 winner (1-3), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 6 points

@w87r 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 16 points

@runthepost 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 13 points

@Chrisaaron1023 6 points for 3 winner (3-1), 2 points for margin of victory  - current total 10 points

@Moe 6 points for 3 winners (3-1), 2 points for margin of victory  - current total 13 points

@2006Coltsbestever 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 4 points for margin of victory - current total 17 points

@EasyE 4 points for 2 winners (2-2), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 10 points

@ChuggaBeer 4 points for 2 winners (2-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 7 points 

@VikingsFanInChennai 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 15 points

AFTER AFCCG AND NFCCG

@jvan1973 0 points for winners (0-2), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 14 points

@chad72 4 points for winners (1-1), 4 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

@Solid84 4 points for winners (1-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 21 points

@coltsva 4 points for winners (1-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 13 points 

@w87r 8 points for winners (2-0), 4 points for margin of victory - current total 28 points

@runthepost 8 points for winners (2-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 21 points

@Chrisaaron1023 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 14 points

@Moe 4 points for winners (1-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

@2006Coltsbestever 0 points for winners (0-2), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

@EasyE 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 14 points

@ChuggaBeer 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 11 points

@VikingsFanInChennai 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

LEADERBOARD:

@w87r 28 points - fabulous job on the maximum points possible in the championship weekend

2 way tie between @Solid84 and @runthepost 21 points for 2nd place

4 way tie between @chad72 @Moe @2006Coltsbestever and @VikingsFanInChennai 19 points for 3rd place

Anything can happen. You nail the winner (8 points) and the margin (max. of 2 points), it will count as a maximum of 10 points next round. Nailing the winner is the BIG part. Someone with 19 points or 21 points can still end up with 29 points if @w87r falters on both. :) Keep picking and participating!!! 

It ain't over till till it's over. Thanks for continuing to participate.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, chad72 said:

AFTER DIVISIONAL ROUND:

@jvan1973 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 12 points

@chad72 6 points for 3 winners (3-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 11 points

@Solid84 6 points for 3 winners (3-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 15 points

@coltsva 2 points for 1 winner (1-3), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 6 points

@w87r 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 16 points

@runthepost 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 13 points

@Chrisaaron1023 6 points for 3 winner (3-1), 2 points for margin of victory  - current total 10 points

@Moe 6 points for 3 winners (3-1), 2 points for margin of victory  - current total 13 points

@2006Coltsbestever 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 4 points for margin of victory - current total 17 points

@EasyE 4 points for 2 winners (2-2), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 10 points

@ChuggaBeer 4 points for 2 winners (2-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 7 points 

@VikingsFanInChennai 8 points for 4 winners (4-0), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 15 points

AFTER AFCCG AND NFCCG

@jvan1973 0 points for winners (0-2), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 14 points

@chad72 4 points for winners (1-1), 4 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

@Solid84 4 points for winners (1-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 21 points

@coltsva 4 points for winners (1-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 13 points 

@w87r 8 points for winners (2-0), 4 points for margin of victory - current total 28 points

@runthepost 8 points for winners (2-0), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 21 points

@Chrisaaron1023 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 14 points

@Moe 4 points for winners (1-1), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

@2006Coltsbestever 0 points for winners (0-2), 2 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

@EasyE 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 14 points

@ChuggaBeer 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 11 points

@VikingsFanInChennai 4 points for winners (1-1), 0 points for margin of victory - current total 19 points

LEADERBOARD:

@w87r 28 points - fabulous job on the maximum points possible in the championship weekend

2 way tie between @Solid84 and @runthepost 21 points for 2nd place

4 way tie between @chad72 @Moe @2006Coltsbestever and @VikingsFanInChennai 19 points for 3rd place

Anything can happen. You nail the winner (8 points) and the margin (max. of 2 points), it will count as a maximum of 10 points next round. Nailing the winner is the BIG part. Someone with 19 points or 21 points can still end up with 29 points if @w87r falters on both. :) Keep picking and participating!!! 

It ain't over till till it's over. Thanks for continuing to participate.

Great job so far @w87r!

I guess if I want to win I'll HAVE to pick the opposite of you then. 😄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Great job so far @w87r!

I guess if I want to win I'll HAVE to pick the opposite of you then. 😄

I was thinking about just saying I pick whoever you end up picking, but the runthepost throws a wrench in that plan.

The AFC has been in a different class based on how the Ravens played the 49ers and Lions in the regular season and I do think they have an upper hand but the 49ers are playing well and Brock Purdy has a better offensive cast than the Chiefs.

But who knows, The Chiefs could make it a double digit win too. So, if it is the Chiefs, it could be 7-10, if it is the 49ers, 1-3???

7 hours ago, w87r said:

I was thinking about just saying I pick whoever you end up picking, but the runthepost throws a wrench in that plan.

To stand a good chance, @Solid84 and @runthepost should choose 2 separate winners with 2 different margins of victory amongst themselves :)  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To stand a good chance, @Solid84 and @runthepost should choose 2 separate winners with 2 different margins of victory amongst themselves :)  

I should do the same for craps and giggles. I should choose the opposite of what @w87rdoes haha . Problem is @Solid84and @runthepostthrow a wrench into it. I could still technically win by 1 point but that is about a 1% chance Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, w87r said:

During our Regular Season picks, I ran into the same problem. If it was just me trying to hold off 1 person, that would have been easy. I had @Moe, @chad72, @EasyE, and @Chrisaaron1023all breathing down my neck. So, I had to be smart about things. It ended well for me, but Moe did tie me. I have 19 points right now, I need the winner but pick the opposite as you, then I need to get the margin of victory right but be different than Solid and runthepost. 

4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

hahahah yeah.. stinking break in between the games suck.

I'm still gonna wait until like Friday before my final prediction.

Yeah, this SB is very much like the Chief-Eagles SB because both teams are built with lots of quality FA signings to augment good draft picks with a QB having a sensational year, much like Jalen Hurts had last year.

Nick Bosa has already played mind games with the refs saying The Chiefs hold a lot. Also, given the Chiefs' JaWaan Taylor's terrible reputation, I expect Chiefs' OL to get holding calls that will stall a few drives for them, just enough for the 49ers to stay in the game and win a close one, IMO.

Originally as early as last week, I had Chiefs (4-6) as posted in here. I am starting to think the 49ers might win this now. Several reasons why:

1. Majority of people are thinking, no way that Mahomes will lose to Brock Purdy. 49ers are being disrespected and know this so I can see them being real prepared.

2. Many think it is Rigged for the Chiefs to win so more Mahomes talk about being the GOAT can continue by the huge sports networks = Espn, NFL Network, CBS. + you have the Taylor Swift factor who all kids love. So no way the Chiefs lose right?? A lot of money in the betting world is starting to go towards the Chiefs winning, Vegas will make a killing if the 49ers win.

3. The easy pick is just picking the Chiefs because they have Mahomes. I am starting to feel like, this SB may be a lot like the Broncos/Seahawks SB. Broncos had Peyton, Seahawks had Wilson. Expect the unexpected. 49ers have the defense and run game to win this if Purdy plays a clean game. 49ers want some revenge too for what happened in SB 54.

I might switch and go 49ers, not sure yet. I have all week to decide.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Originally as early as last week, I had Chiefs (4-6) as posted in here. I am starting to think the 49ers might win this now. Several reasons why:

1. Majority of people are thinking, no way that Mahomes will lose to Brock Purdy. 49ers are being disrespected and know this so I can see them being real prepared.

2. Many think it is Rigged for the Chiefs to win so more Mahomes talk about being the GOAT can continue by the huge sports networks = Espn, NFL Network, CBS. + you have the Taylor Swift factor who all kids love. So no way the Chiefs lose right?? A lot of money in the betting world is starting to go towards the Chiefs winning, Vegas will make a killing if the 49ers win.

3. The easy pick is just picking the Chiefs because they have Mahomes. I am starting to feel like, this SB may be a lot like the Broncos/Seahawks SB. Broncos had Peyton, Seahawks had Wilson. Expect the unexpected. 49ers have the defense and run game to win this if Purdy plays a clean game. 49ers want some revenge too for what happened in SB 54.

I might switch and go 49ers, not sure yet. I have all week to decide.

Yeah, Mahomes is evolving into the villain now.

Patriots fans don't want Mahomes to win a back-to-back. Lots of fans are tired of the Chiefs winning. Less well wishes for Mahomes and company this year than last.

It is not going to end well for the Chiefs, is my hunch. Brock Purdy also negates the Taylor Swift effect by wearing the jersey of her favorite number 13. :) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, Mahomes is evolving into the villain now.

Patriots fans don't want Mahomes to win a back-to-back. Lots of fans are tired of the Chiefs winning. Less well wishes for Mahomes and company this year than last.

It is not going to end well for the Chiefs, is my hunch. Brock Purdy also negates the Taylor Swift effect by wearing the jersey of her favorite number 13. :) 

I just have a strange feeling about this game. It just seems too easy to take the Chiefs. 

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just have a strange feeling about this game. It just seems too easy to take the Chiefs. 

Yeah, and the last time the Chiefs played a Shanahan like offense in the Packers, they ate the Chiefs LBs up in the middle of the field and won 27-19 on SNF. Same Sunday Night Football for the Chiefs-49ers, I have a good feeling the 49ers win this one. :) 

Deebo Samuel for MVP because the Chiefs LBs can't keep up with Kittle and CMC and while their focus is on them primarily, Deebo is going to wreak havoc IF he is allowed to catch the ball because he is too physical to jam or bring down easily.

• Like 1

@chad72 @2006Coltsbestever

I don't know...  outta 1,000 people, Nick Wright was the one person who had the chiefs making it to the Superbowl. The 49ers were high on my list until the Ravens absolutely smacked the beep outta them on Christmas. Then they've disappointed me a bit in the playoffs.. barley eeking by the Packers and honestly should've lost to the Lions. I thought they were gonna destroy the Lions. 

The Chiefs on the other hand.. Travis Kelce has had the same amount of TD's this postseason as he's had all season? They just looked like they were fooling around all season on offense, and have awaken in the playoffs. And the offense isn't even the scariest part of this version of Chiefs team...

49ers will need to control the entire game with Christian and running the football.. because we saw the bills control most of the game running and dinking passes and they still lost. 

I thought the Bills, being at home, were going to beat KC. Then I thought it wouldn't really be close against the Ravens. I cant believe KC made it here.. and I don't think I can pick against them again lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I don't know...  outta 1,000 people, Nick Wright was the one person who had the chiefs making it to the Superbowl. The 49ers were high on my list until the Ravens absolutely smacked the beep outta them on Christmas. Then they've disappointed me a bit in the playoffs.. barley eeking by the Packers and honestly should've lost to the Lions. I thought they were gonna destroy the Lions. 

The Chiefs on the other hand.. Travis Kelce has had the same amount of TD's this postseason as he's had all season? They just looked like they were fooling around all season on offense, and have awaken in the playoffs. And the offense isn't even the scariest part of this version of Chiefs team...

49ers will need to control the entire game with Christian and running the football.. because we saw the bills control most of the game running and dinking passes and they still lost. 

I thought the Bills, being at home, were going to beat KC. Then I thought it wouldn't really be close against the Ravens. I cant believe KC made it here.. and I don't think I can pick against them again lol

But none of the Bills or Ravens teams had an extra week to prepare for The Chiefs like the 49ers in the playoffs, that is why I give the edge to the 49ers.

Ravens did, for the Texans, and it showed.

6 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

this guy had to a pretty good grasp on the season, back on Sept 8th 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

You bet big on the Bengals and Eagles in the postseason. That backfired but you got the Chiefs at No.3 seed making the SB vs No.1 seed 49ers, hats off to you there!!! congrats yes GIF by Twitter

4 hours ago, w87r said:

Great job, I had Ravens vs Lions before the season. So I just missed by 1 game in each conference, I would have had the Chiefs but it is very tough to Repeat. So, I rolled with someone different and almost was right. I had a feeling that Lamar would play like an MVP when many doubted him. 

• Like 1

I am going to go ahead and stick with my pick of the Chiefs (margin 4-6). I wanted to win this contest but winning the Regular Season picking meant more to me since it was 18 long weeks. A lot went into that. Going into next season @Moe and I will be noted as Co-Champs when I do the Opening Pick Thread for 2024. If @w87rwins this, I will note him as well as winning the Playoff contest because it is a good accomplishment. 

I blew it in this contest when I got both Championship Games wrong. @w87rdeserves to win this at this point IMO, he nailed it Championship weekend, so I am fine with whoever he picks as his SB winner. It would not shock me at all though if the 49ers did win because the easy pick is to not bet against Mahomes. 49ers have the defense, run game, and a QB that is a great game manager, so I expect a great SB. Mahomes IMO is a Top 4 QB of all-time only behind Brady, Montana, and Peyton so I can't wait to see how he does on Sunday. The current point spread is 49ers -1.5. 49ers are favored.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am going to go ahead and stick with my pick of the Chiefs (margin 4-6).

We will see how things shape up.

I am sure @w87r, if he doesn't get the 8 points of the winner right, will be rooting for his margin of victory to be right, OR rooting for both @Solid84 and @runthepost to not get BOTH right because that is what it would take for them to supplant if @w87r gets only the margin of victory right. It is a nice tweak, to evaluate margin of victory separate from the winner. :) 

@w87r has been outstanding this playoff run, been among the top 3 every step of the way and maybe he could be roped into the week to week pick 'em next year.

I might probably not do the week to week stuff again because I am realizing it is taking way too much of my time keeping track of injuries etc. etc. because if I do something, I have to do it right and it becomes like fantasy football trying to keep track of every team's critical injuries etc. week to week, something I walked away from all FF leagues for.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We will see how things shape up.

I am sure @w87r, if he doesn't get the 8 points of the winner right, will be rooting for his margin of victory to be right, OR rooting for both @Solid84 and @runthepost to not get BOTH right because that is what it would take for them to supplant if @w87r gets only the margin of victory right. It is a nice tweak, to evaluate margin of victory separate from the winner. :) 

@w87r has been outstanding this playoff run, been among the top 3 every step of the way and maybe he could be roped into the week to week pick 'em next year.

I might probably not do the week to week stuff again because I am realizing it is taking way too much of my time keeping track of injuries etc. etc. because if I do something, I have to do it right and it becomes like fantasy football trying to keep track of every team's critical injuries etc. week to week, something I walked away from all FF leagues for.

I don't blame you if you don't pick again next year. It is real time consuming because you pretty much have to know who is injured, who is playing, and picking a lot of games, one has to get them in or it is a loss. Also, the strategy one uses is a key if you have a chance to win at the end. That is why with having 10 people this past season, meant a lot to me in sharing 1st place because everyone that was picking had a high football IQ and knows the game really well. I have to be honest; I was feeling burned out picking every week but it was fun and I am always here. There may never be another picking thread like this past season. As far as the Playoff Contest, @w87rgot both Championship Games right, that was pretty much game over regarding this contest. Yeah, there is a slight chance he could still lose but I am not going to play strategy to try and win this. 

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think the Chiefs win it, but I really want the 49’ers to win. I’m going with my heart this time and taking the 49’ers (4-6). 

Yeah, what makes this SB fun to me is, I don't care who wins. I can actually watch a game that I am not betting on either. It is all about having fun Sunday and let's see if Mahomes can enhance his legacy or if Purdy can win his 1st SB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, what makes this SB fun to me is, I don't care who wins. I can actually watch a game that I am not betting on either. It is all about having fun Sunday and let's see if Mahomes can enhance his legacy or if Purdy can win his 1st SB.

I'm a true degenerate now when it comes to sports. I've passed into that territory. If I have nothing on the line for a game, then it's not fun for me. Call it narcissism, that's fine. I have to be playing bestball, doing fanduel or draftkings daily bets, yearly fantasy, or it has to be my team specifically if I'm not betting on it, or I don't care. 

5 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I'm a true degenerate now when it comes to sports. I've passed into that territory. If I have nothing on the line for a game, then it's not fun for me. Call it narcissism, that's fine. I have to be playing bestball, doing fanduel or draftkings daily bets, yearly fantasy, or it has to be my team specifically if I'm not betting on it, or I don't care. 

I am just happy I can enjoy a game without eating a bottle of Tums and drinking Whiskey pacing around worrying. lmao 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't blame you if you don't pick again next year. It is real time consuming because you pretty much have to know who is injured, who is playing, and picking a lot of games, one has to get them in or it is a loss. Also, the strategy one uses is a key if you have a chance to win at the end. That is why with having 10 people this past season, meant a lot to me in sharing 1st place because everyone that was picking had a high football IQ and knows the game really well. I have to be honest; I was feeling burned out picking every week but it was fun and I am always here. There may never be another picking thread like this past season. As far as the Playoff Contest, @w87rgot both Championship Games right, that was pretty much game over regarding this contest. Yeah, there is a slight chance he could still lose but I am not going to play strategy to try and win this. 

I think my overall playoff record is 10-2 only getting 2 wild card games wrong. With 2-3 margins as well.

I kinda agree, maybe a slight alteration might need to be in place moving forward. I should probably have this in hand.

8pts for SB is too many, it pretty much makes the rest of the picks not mean as much? Everyone has a 50/50 shot come the SB time.

IDK what the answer is? 6pts? I also don't think bonus points should ever be more than the points for w/l, also don't think you should get bonus points if you get the w/l incorrect. Have some kind of participation elimination thorough playoffs? I actually thought that was the case here for a moment. Thought only top 3 advanced past first round.

Anyway, not complaining, just throwing out some potential options to make it even better moving forward.

Good luck all, I will make my pick at 5:55est on Sunday. Pretty sure most know who I will be picking. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think my overall playoff record is 10-2 only getting 2 wild card games wrong. With 2-3 margins as well.

I kinda agree, maybe a slight alteration might need to be in place moving forward. I should probably have this in hand.

8pts for SB is too many, it pretty much makes the rest of the picks not mean as much? Everyone has a 50/50 shot come the SB time.

IDK what the answer is? 6pts? I also don't think bonus points should ever be more than the points for w/l, also don't think you should get bonus points if you get the w/l incorrect. Have some kind of participation elimination thorough playoffs? I actually thought that was the case here for a moment. Thought only top 3 advanced past first round.

Anyway, not complaining, just throwing out some potential options to make it even better moving forward.

Good luck all, I will make my pick at 5:55est on Sunday. Pretty sure most know who I will be picking. Lol.

I lied, I will pick at 5:56est and pick the opposite of you,Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- Just joking. I am sticking with the Chiefs, but the 49ers could win this. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am just happy I can enjoy a game without eating a bottle Tums and drinking Whiskey pacing around worrying. lmao 

I never worry about about winning or losing most of the time from a Colts perspective unless there are playoff Implications (making the playoffs, or winning in the playoffs). I worry about my fantasy teams more than anything. If there's an injury, it can ruin my night. If the wrong player scores a td that's 30% owned and I don't own him, then I throw a fit. Those are my issues that most other people don't think about. 

If I do a single-game slate with the Colts and have a Minshew stack last year with Pittman and Downs, and Taylor runs in a TD, that makes me mad. Colts fans would be ecstatic. I get upset because the wrong Colts scored.

Luckily, I play for a couple dollars a week, so it's low-risk. However I did do $204 worth of bestballs during the regular season. With all the QB injuries and everything, I ended up winning $291. So not the biggest gain. Got a bit unlucky in the tourneys and only made round 3 in two bestballs out of 16.

Playoff bestballs were much more fun. My Rams stacks missed, but I hit on the Chiefs, 49ers, Ravens, Bills, Packers, and Bucs to at least advance one round all the way to the SB. So 6 out of 7 did well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

While it is not fair for the guy at the top, isn't that the goal though? Keep folks engaged and participating because they might have a chance (not that unrealistic like that Dumb and Dumber gif :)).

I remember my neighbor doing a 12 team fantasy football league and instead of the typical 4 or 6 teams in the playoffs, he allowed the top 8 teams. I was the No.1 seed going in and got knocked out of the playoffs by a No.8 seed because that lady had Todd Gurley going on a phenomenal run during the fantasy playoffs one time. I wasn't thrilled about it but I understood him wanting more folks engaged in the pot. I won the cash for the best regular season and she won the cash for being a champ, all because the commish let in a No.8 seed play in the playoffs and the team got hot (the NFL should take note too by not letting an 8th team in the playoffs).

But this one is just for bragging rights, not cash, so this is the kind of contest where you do that, giving more folks a chance till that last game, with rules that help with that miniscule chance. It definitely has worked to keep them engaged for sure. :) 

I'm going Chiefs (7-10) points

I'll give the 49ers a chance if they score first, and it has to be a TD.

Tua, Josh, Lamar all looked pedestrian against this KC defense.. no shot Purdy wins this for them, it has to be a GOAT game from McCaffrey.

I will give ALL the credit in the world if Mr irrelevant wins the SB