Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

This is getting ridiculous.   

Does anyone think they ran a play yesterday that they didn’t run over and over in practice?   

The deep shot to Cox was done to creat a mismatch.  It worked.  He was open.  

I guarantee final play was run with that personnel group because he was the best RB receiver.  Easy pass, again Minshew threw a bad ball.

But it is good to know so many here are better play callers than our head coach.  You never know when Shane is going to come to the forum for his next game plan!

Carry on.

That isn’t playing to your players strengths.

i wish I could dig up old stuff here because this is exactly what lost of you trashed Reich for.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That isn’t playing to your players strengths.

i wish I could dig up old stuff here because this is exactly what lost of you trashed Reich for.

What’s the other factor in those two plays?  Wide open MAC and Goodson?

Steichen said the 4th down play was something they'd practiced. It should've been a slam dunk instead Minshew and Goodson bungled it. 

I don't get why people are so up in arms about it should've been JT. He's not exactly CMC. He has 19 receptions on the season including last night.

The call was good. A practiced play and Goodson was OPEN. Just poor execution, which was a thing all night by the way.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

This is getting ridiculous.   

Does anyone think they ran a play yesterday that they didn’t run over and over in practice?   

The deep shot to Cox was done to creat a mismatch.  It worked.  He was open.  

I guarantee final play was run with that personnel group because he was the best RB receiver.  Easy pass, again Minshew threw a bad ball.

But it is good to know so many here are better play callers than our head coach.  You never know when Shane is going to come to the forum for his next game plan!

Carry on.

Taylor was injured. Moss has never been known as a receiving back.

Shane went with who was available and that was the 3rd string back

• Like 1

Just now, Smonroe said:

What’s the other factor in those two plays?  Wide open MAC and Goodson?

Which is why its a horrible play call. You put the ball in the hands of a guy who couldnt hit the broad side of a barn all day and a 3rd string RB. 

I like Steichen but he outsmarted himself on this one and deserves the heat hes getting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Steichen said the 4th down play was something they'd practiced. It should've been a slam dunk instead Minshew and Goodson bungled it. 

I don't get why people are so up in arms about it should've been JT. He's not exactly CMC. He has 19 receptions on the season including last night.

The call was good. A practiced play and Goodson was OPEN. Just poor execution, which was a thing all night by the way.

19 catches in a half a season. Which is actually pretty good.

Goodson has 6 in his career. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

JMV saying what I am trying to say.

I agree with you. With the game and season on the line and short distance to go to get a first down, that did not give the team the best chance to get that first down regardless of how many times the play was practiced.

• Like 1

You had moss too if Taylor was too injured. He had some great runs to get them back in the game.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

Holder is wrong.

Taylor was injured and it would be coaching malpractice to put an injured player in the game

Did we not have moss. He had some great runs in this game. Throw some extra blockers in there.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder is roasting  Steichen 

Holder sums up my thoughts perfectly. Schematically it was a good call. But i dont think he showed very good judgement in making that call at that time. Now, if it was 1st down and not 4th down, its a completely different opinion. 

If they run for that 1st down, then have JT catch a blow and bring in Goodson to run that exact same play on 1st down........then its perfectly reasonable to me. 

But not on the most important play of the entire season. 

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Holder is wrong.

Taylor was injured and it would be coaching malpractice to put an injured player in the game

Steichen said he was fine in the presser.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Let's believe Steichen had our play designed and we practiced it multiple times just the way it was ran.

Minshew made an instant decision to throw it to the wrong shoulder creating an impossible catch opportunity. Warner would make a great coach.

So impossible it hit him in both hands?

Moss is not known as a pass catching back. He is no threat to catch the ball.

With moss in the game on 4th and 1 it would be guaranteed to be a run.

The Texans would have read run on 4th and 1 as well and would have stuffed it.

So Shane called called a simple swing pass for the 1st down.

It was the right play call but bad execution 

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

If your best play call on 4th and 1 is a play to your 3rd string RB then it’s a bad play call.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Holder is wrong.

Taylor was in there the play before so unless he suffered another injury on that play he was fine to play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

You act like there are only 2 options. 

If I were to throw it in the situation, I wouldve ran that read option play where Pittman goes in motion out to the flat.

Its worked every time we have ran it this year. And youre throwing the ball to a big guy who can make contested catches and has caught more passes than anyone for you this year, not a guy with no big game experience. 

• Like 3

You’re asking a player to go something he hadn’t done all year.  Downs or Pittman could have ran a rub  route. They have much better hands.  Asking a running back with 7 targets in his career was not the way to go.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

the sad part is if gay makes that 57 yard kick we could of tied the game with a field goal on that forth down play .

They should have punted. That was another bad mistake by Steichen.

19 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Holder is wrong.

But wasn't Taylor in the game just before that play? Could he have been used as a decoy?

The play should have worked. It was not executed properly. But with just one yard to go, it seems that they should have relied upon their top players. (I guess I don't know enough about Goodson.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

19 catches in a half a season. Which is actually pretty good.

Goodson has 6 in his career. 

I was going to say that’s 13 more than the guy you choose to put the season in the hands of.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts should try to bring back Jacoby to backup Richardson next year. At least he can throw down field.

I’ll second that.  How did Troy put it before the game?  Minshew is a roller coaster.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

You act like there are only 2 options. 

If I were to throw it in the situation, I wouldve ran that read option play where Pittman goes in motion out to the flat.

Its worked every time we have ran it this year. And youre throwing the ball to a big guy who can make contested catches and has caught more passes than anyone for you this year, not a guy with no big game experience. 

And the guy just a week ago Shane said if we need a pass play you know we are going to Pittman.

24 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Sure thing Doug. You live in a spin zone. 

6 catches and he is some pass catching wiz now?

No, other do.  I just got here, and commented because others were spinning that JT should have gotten the ball.  The reality is that Steichen didn't even call JTs number when it mattered, because of the high stuff likelihood.  If I'm bashing JT for pointing out why, I guess the HC is really bashing JT for actually making that decision.

My realistic and fair comments just seem like bashing to those who live in the spin zone of thinking JT matters when it matters...or that a generational G or an elite WILL mattered for the past 7 years.

• Like 1

The way they were running the ball at the end wouldn’t have worked for the last play! I don’t know why they kept trying to run the ball up the middle with Minshew in the shotgun formation!? It took him too long to hand the ball off(atleast a second) which gave the defense more than enough time to react to the play. I was ok with a pass for that last play, but it was just terrible terrible execution!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It was an easy pass and catch.  High schoolers make it.  Bad pass, but still should have been caught.  

Good play. 

You said it yourself.   High schoolers make it.  Should have been to a WR with the season on the line IMHO.

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s a hall of fame QB talking about why Minshew threw the ball like that. Come on man. He talked about how the route should have been run.

Yeah, one of the few things I agree on with you because Warner has played with another HOF Faulk who was one of the best pass catching RBs.

• Like 1

My final word for all the - you give the ball to your playmakers…

Why not do that every play then?  Maybe it’s because the D is keying on them?

Look, bottom line is it was a good call, Minshew (or any kid from high school) can make that pass if they don’t rush it.

And let’s not forget, he wasn’t going to score on that play.  

52 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

I am disappointed by the outcome of the game, as all Colts fans are. But if I would have been told that they would even be in that position after last year and after losing Richardson early in the season, I would have taken that. 
I just wish that with the season on the line that the ball would have been in Taylor, Moss, Pittman, or Pierce hands. I would have felt that they gave themselves the best chance to win. If Minshew to Goodson would have worked it would have been genius, but I felt they had put the game in the stars hands.

Well said.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My final word for all the - you give the ball to your playmakers…

Why not do that every play then?  Maybe it’s because the D is keying on them?

Look, bottom line is it was a good call, Minshew (or any kid from high school) can make that pass if they don’t rush it.

And let’s not forget, he wasn’t going to score on that play.  

Yeah, not as painful as a playoff loss for sure. People just need to take a chill pill and not keep pounding the same sand for 6-7 pages.

Yes, we get it, some don’t like the 4th and 1 play call personnel used but I would prefer if they learned to agree to disagree by Page 2 than take till Page 7 or 8 and then turn around and tell others it isn’t emotional or personal when actions speak louder than redundant words. :) 

Not truly meant for you, btw but I have no wish to engage with the target of the post for several pages more 😄

• Thanks 1

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah, not as painful as a playoff loss for sure. People just need to take a chill pill and not keep pounding the same sand for 6-7 pages.

Yes, we get it, some don’t like the 4th and 1 play call personnel used but I would prefer if they learned to agree to disagree by Page 2 than take till Page 7 or 8 and then turn around and tell others it isn’t emotional or personal when actions speak louder than redundant words. :) 

You do realize taking subtle shots like this is just going to make people respond right?  Also just because someone doesn’t like the personal package doesn’t mean they are having an emotional reaction anymore than people who did like it and keep repeating themselves.  It just means they didn’t like it.  Now go ahead a leaving your passive aggressive laughing face and before you say see that subtle shot is going to make you respond I don’t care if you do.  It’s what a message board is for.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

You do realize taking subtle shots like this is just going to make people respond right?  Also just because someone doesn’t like the personal package doesn’t mean they are having an emotional reaction anymore than people who did like it and keep repeating themselves.  It just means they didn’t like it.  Now go ahead a leaving your passive aggressive laughing face and before you say see that subtle shot is going to make you respond I don’t care if you do.  It’s what a message board is for.  

Yeah, 7 or 8 pages of coming up with different ways of saying the same thing is very endearing. I’m clearly done with you on this topic, isn’t that obvious? You can keep talking.

57 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Still can’t wrap my head around how bad Minshew played last night. 

He doesn't play on the defense. You can bet both teams will be better next year. CJ's future is scary. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Of course it took a missed extra point for that to happen as well.

texans didnt really impress me last night i think with a decent QB we win easily .   two touchdowns were complete blown coverages by the safety playing the wrong coverage .    i mean we had absolutely horrible QB play and were 20 yards away from winning .