Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Texans post game

Just now, smittywerb said:

Good question.  If that cornerback is THAT good I’d say take him.  If not, we need to get a WR1 and that’s very doable at 17 in this draft.   This draft is deep at WR and now that we’re not making the playoffs, we are sure to be able to grab a highly graded WR.  Someone like Odunze or Troy Franklin should be available at 17.

Based on all that I am reading, Odunze might be gone by the Top 12.

But if it is as deep at WR like most are saying, we should get a very good one even if we trade back in Round 1 and gain more shots at the board for Day 2, IMO.

1 minute ago, bluephantom87 said:

Everyone seems to FORGET that BEFORE the refs botched that game in the end that the Colts gave up a THIRTY yard pass play down the sidelines on a 3rd and 25 by a backup qb for the Browns to keep that game winning drive alive THUS setting up an opportunity for the refs to determine the outcome.

That happens. We still got the game sealing sack on 4th down, that was erased by the penalty that happened away from the play and had zero effect on it, if the call was even correct to begin with. Which was later confirmed to not be.

Just now, chad72 said:

Based on all that I am reading, Odunze might be gone by the Top 12.

But if it is as deep at WR like most are saying, we should get a very good one even if we trade back in Round 1 and gain more shots at the board for Day 2, IMO.

The WR that went mid rounds this past draft have been just as good as the first rounders. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts are going  to have to do something in FA. You can’t just keep relying on the draft. You won’t ever get anywhere. They need to bring in a proven player.  

They won’t though.. Ballard has proven that every single year.

Idk why people expect him to change

2 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Good question.  If that cornerback is THAT good I’d say take him.  If not, we need to get a WR1 and that’s very doable at 17 in this draft.   This draft is deep at WR and now that we’re not making the playoffs, we are sure to be able to grab a highly graded WR.  Someone like Odunze or Troy Franklin should be available at 17.

Zero chance odunze falls to us. 

some view him as a better prospect than Harrison. (I don’t) but that’s how highly he is regarded by some. Monday night will be a huge chance for him to elevate his stock

Just now, Bravo said:

he’s not had a legit chance in free agency since 2019 offseason. Every single year since then he has had uncertainly at qb. Every single year. This is the first year they know what they are doing and qb isn’t part of the free agency. Hard to get guys to want to come to Indianapolis when you don’t have the qb figured out. 

I think this year will be different. I could even see Irsay putting the pressure on like he did Grigson. Time to put up or shut up. This could he Ballard’s last chance at an offseason, and he needs to view it as such. Time to make some moves. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t disagree on trusting your key players. But they were keying hard on the run. They had just stuffed the 3rd down play. The playcall was there, and it was anything but cute. He says (and minshew says in his presser too, for what it’s worth) that the play to Goodson, who they viewed as their pass catching back, was practiced “a million times” according to minshew. It was anything but cute. It was a simple throw out of the backfield. 

He's a professional football player. There's nothing wrong with that play call or the personnel. It's not "too cute," it's a great call. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t disagree on trusting your key players. But they were keying hard on the run. They had just stuffed the 3rd down play. The playcall was there, and it was anything but cute. He says (and minshew says in his presser too, for what it’s worth) that the play to Goodson, who they viewed as their pass catching back, was practiced “a million times” according to minshew. It was anything but cute. It was a simple throw out of the backfield. 

You could have easily thrown to Taylor or Moss there or heaven forbid you throw to Pittman, you know the guy just last week Shane said if we need pass we are throwing to Pittman.  There were other and better options than Goodson.  Like I said before the Texans knew the Colts would focus their pass defense on Collins.  Did that stop them from throwing to him?  No they came right out and said we dare you to stop him and the Colts couldn’t.  Just like in the past teams would key on Marvin, Wayne, Clark, Edge, Addai, or Hilton and yet they would still make the clutch play.  There is a reason they are your star players and why you pay them big money.  You don’t go to a practice squad running back who hasn’t played all game with the season on the line, especially with a backup QB.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bravo said:

I'd honestly be shocked if he doesn't spend this year.

Jax is leading the division in general terms and Hou seems to have their guy in CJ. 

If we don't make up the gap soon I think he definitely will be gone.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You could have easily thrown to Taylor or Moss there or heaven forbid you throw to Pittman, you know the guy just last week Shane said if we need pass we are throwing to Pittman.  There were other and better options than Goodson.  Like I said before the Texans knew the Colts would focus their pass defense on Collins.  Did that stop them from throwing to him?  No they came right out and said we dare you to stop him and the Colts couldn’t.  Just like in the past teams would key on Marvin, Wayne, Clark, Edge, Addai, or Hilton and yet they would still make the clutch play.  There is a reason they are your star players and why you pay them big money.  You don’t go to a practice squad running back who hasn’t played all game with the season on the line, especially with a backup QB.  

Or even downs. How many first downs has that kid got. There should have been a better play call to your best players. Pittman would of been my second choice.

Just now, Superman said:

He's a professional football player. There's nothing wrong with that play call or the personnel. It's not "too cute," it's a great call. 

Agreed. I  was angry about it at first. But then I calmed down and came to my senses. Coaches put players in position to make plays. They can’t catch the ball for them. They say Goodson is the best pass catching back, and with JT’s thumb injury, he likely is. the ball was thrown behind him a bit, and he dropped it. His reaction to reporters in the locker room saying he feels like a failure speaks to the situation. The play was there, the playmaking was not. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Emotional Overreaction!!! Hindsight 20/20.

The pass to Dan Klecko by Peyton, pass to David Tyree by Eli, pass to Bryan Fletcher by Peyton, there are always unsung heroes. They just did not execute. You think Steichen would have run that play if they didn't practice it a LOT. 

Nah, I disagree here. Marshawn Lynch on the 1 yard line in a SB says the same thing but that pass play that resulted in an INT, was a play the Seahawks ran just 2 times the entire season but Belichick was ready for it and Malcolm Butler made a great play. Plus the Patriots were in jumbo formation and had done very well in those formations against short yardage situations. Things always get second guessed.

So, my point is, you can go re-visit play calling from a different angles but players play and execute it and when they do, it doesn't matter who made the play. Go for a 57 yard FG, kicker doesn't make it, coach gets the blame, and the kicker makes it, the kicker gets the credit. You have a run up the gut on 4th & 1 that gets stuffed, people will bring Frank Reich comparisons and if it works, Yay, he went to the best player and the best player delivered.

It was a good play call but it was terrible execution with a less than ideal throw from Minshew and a botched catch by Goodson, that is all I see there is to it.

It definitely was not a good enough throw by Minshew no question about it. It was under thrown in my opinion. Yes a good play call but just sad the best player on the team was on the sideline for such a play.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sorry you are wrong here.  If it were truly a great call the vast majority wouldn’t be questioning it.

I’m not as opposed to designing the play for a relative unknown in Goodson (to throw off the defense) as most here; heck, one of the biggest plays in Colts history was the long completion to Bryan Fletcher at the end of the 2007 afc championship. Unfortunately, I think the moment got to him, looking at the play again yeah the throw wasn’t great but that is one of the worst case of alligator arms I’ve seen in awhile…. if this was a week 3 game I think he catches that easily. This season was found money anyways, the fun (and expectations) really start when our boy AR comes back next season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So proud of Taylor for carrying the team tonight. Stars have to step up and he was the only one that did.

He showed he deserved his contract. Couldn't of asked for much more after having that many yards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Behind every great call is great execution. But the bottom line was, that 4th & 1 play wasn't the main reason we lost. We couldn't control the line of scrimmage in the first half, and pass effectively in the first half to keep it close enough and put pressure on the Texans, overall.

• Like 4

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

“Sorry you are wrong.” 

That’s the most sure of oneself, condescending way of disagreeing with someone. 

Like you said it’s my opinion sometimes an opinion is the other person is wrong.  

GM is not our backup, he’s been our starter for at least 14 weeks maybe 15, almost a whole season.  Shane called a good play and if were him I wouldn’t regret it for a second. He trusted our players to execute and they didn’t. Regardless still a good play call. 

• Like 2

Just now, Believe blue1306 said:

GM is not our backup, he’s been our starter for at least 14 weeks maybe 15, almost a whole season.  Shane called a good play and if were him I wouldn’t regret it for a second. He trusted our players to execute and they didn’t. Regardless still a good play call. 

He’s still your back up just because the starter got hurt doesn’t automatically mean the backup now has the talent the starter had.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Behind every great call is great execution. But the bottom line was, that 4th & 1 play wasn't the main reason we lost. We couldn't control the line of scrimmage in the first half, and pass effectively in the first half to keep it close enough and put pressure on the Texans, overall.

1-11 on third down. 

One or two plays dominate the conversation of a ball game. But never about the 10 failed third down plays… 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

all those players had a top qb, huge difference!!!

• Like 1

The final play should be equally blamed on all 3 parties.Poor throw, poor hands and a strange play call that relys on a QB whose having a poor game and a 3rd string RB catching a ball for your whole season when you've put up 180+ yds on the ground this game when you only needed 1 yard. But tbh, it's never all on the final play. The passing game being absolutely horrible is the primary reason why we lost.

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t think he’s wrong. But I’m not going to be condescending towards you for your opinion. @Supermanis one of the most logical posters on this forum. 

You can think he’s right and I am wrong that perfectly fine.  I have no issue with Superman I’ve agreed and disagreed with him many times before we have a healthy respect for each other even if we don’t agree.  I just feel he’s wrong on this.  I don’t think it was a great play and if you read the thread, as I am sure Superman has he can see why I don’t think it was a great play call no need to keep saying the same thing 100 times.  

12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Zero chance odunze falls to us. 

some view him as a better prospect than Harrison. (I don’t) but that’s how highly he is regarded by some. Monday night will be a huge chance for him to elevate his stock

Some mocks have him going at 9 to the falcons.  Looking at the draft I could see the 3rd WR coming off the board 9-17.  Idk who that will be, but we need to get him.  

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

1-11 on third down. 

One or two plays dominate the conversation of a ball game. But never about the 10 failed third down plays… 

To be fair to Minshew, that throw to Mo Allie Cox in the first half was a dart, a big man like MAC should have been able to clamp it down and not let the pass be broken up. Our pass catchers didn't make tough contested catches in man coverage as much and the Texans dared us to, it felt like the entire first half.

• Like 1

Just now, colts89 said:

The passing game being absolutely horrible is the primary reason why we lost.

Very true but you know everyone wants their reason to be the correct one.

PLENTY of blame to go around tonight. It literally started on the first play of the game giving up a 75 yard bomb... Lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That call was the same stuff most of you ripped Reich for.

People would have settled for Reich and his run down the middle on 4th and 1, from the looks of it here. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

To be fair to Minshew, that throw to Mo Allie Cox in the first half was a dart, a big man like MAC should have been able to clamp it down and not let the pass be broken up. Our pass catchers didn't make tough contested catches in man coverage as much and the Texans dared us to, it felt like the entire first half.

there were a few big drops, for sure. But more bad than good from Minshew in my eyes. Can’t imagine I’m alone in that. Several throws that didn’t even have a chance. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No Shane it’s on you for calling a pass play from your backup QB to your practice squad running back.  It’s nice Shane holds players accountable but he needs to look in the mirror and hold himself accountable too.  

It was the right play call the RB was open and their was room to run after the catch. 

35 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

2nd and 20 into a 3rd and 3. His craptastic tackling gave them 17 yards.

^This 

One thing about the soft zone is all your secondary have to be great at open field tackles because if one person misses it will be a big gain, our defense is actually worse when its 2nd or 3rd and long. Its very frustrating because when you have a team on their heels you should have an advantage but our play calling puts the pressure on the secondary not on the offense.

• Like 3

Just now, Zoltan said:

It was the right play call the RB was open and their was room to run after the catch. 

^This 

One thing about the soft zone is all your secondary have to be great at open field tackles because if one person misses it will be a big gain, our defense is actually worse when its 2nd or 3rd and long. Its very frustrating because when you have a team on their heels you should have an advantage but our play calling puts the pressure on the secondary not on the offense.

Disagree for the same reasons I’ve stated in this thread, play calls also include personal.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

People would have settled for Reich and his run down the middle on 4th and 1, from the looks of it here. :) 

they would until it failed then they would use hindsight and call it unimaginative and predictable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

there were a few big drops, for sure. But more bad than good from Minshew in my eyes. Can’t imagine I’m alone in that. Several throws that didn’t even have a chance. 

No, you are right about his accuracy being all over the place. But all along, I was thinking "at least Minshew didn't make the big mistake" and that actually helped us in the long run.