Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any love for the coaching staff?

DalTXColtsFan

How is this injury-riddled band of ragamuffins 6-5?  Surely there are more talented teams with less wins?

How much of this "success" (because let's face it, as easy as our schedule has been, winning 6 games by this point in the season is an accomplishment) is because the coaches are busting their humps to get the players fired up to play and doing a good job of maximizing their talents to put them in a position to succeed?

I'd love to see what this staff could do with, for example, a healthy Taylor and Richardson for 16 games, not missing Stewart for 6 games, basically not losing all 4 of their top 4 corners etc.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

How is this injury-riddled band of ragamuffins 6-5?  Surely there are more talented teams with less wins?

How much of this "success" (because let's face it, as easy as our schedule has been, winning 6 games by this point in the season is an accomplishment) is because the coaches are busting their humps to get the players fired up to play and doing a good job of maximizing their talents to put them in a position to succeed?

I'd love to see what this staff could do with, for example, a healthy Taylor and Richardson for 16 games, not missing Stewart for 6 games, basically not losing all 4 of their top 4 corners etc.

I think we'd have 6 or 7 wins with Richardson. As I said, the only difference would be he'd have game experience by now and probably much more developed where we could make a playoff run in his rookie year. Maybe with Taylor healthy all year and playing we'd have 8 wins. We always seem to get the short end of the injury bug. 

All teams have injuries, all fan bases thinks their team is the most affected..

There's at least 10 back up QBs starting right now..

Yes, this coaching staff is good, really good.

No, we will probably never have a entire season with all the top 22 playing 16 games, just like the other 32 teams, the reality.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Maybe.  Shane may keep Bradley around.

Not a big Gus fan.  But I do think he’s smart enough to play a defense that takes advantage of (and is restricted by) the personnel he’s given. 

Even though that soft defense when we have a lead is so frustrating, it’s probably statistically the way to go.  

1 hour ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

The rest of the league is just as injured as the Colts.

I’d have loved to see Steichen with a healthy AR playing the whole season though.

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The rest of the league is just as injured as the Colts.

I’d have loved to see Steichen with a healthy AR playing the whole season though.

The bolded is a simplistic, untrue viewpoint. There's lots of volatility on how each team gets injured. Some teams will always get more injured than others randomly. However, what can hurt teams is the players that get hurt. We've probably had less injuries this year and now, but the specific players and the number of CBs that have gotten hurt have affected us more than other teams that have had more players than us getting hurt. 

Agreed on the second sentence. Would have been a lot of fun IMO.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The bolded is a simplistic, untrue viewpoint. There's lots of volatility on how each team gets injured. Some teams will always get more injured than others randomly. However, what can hurt teams is the players that get hurt. We've probably had less injuries this year and now, but the specific players and the number of CBs that have gotten hurt have affected us more than other teams that have had more players than us getting hurt. 

Agreed on the second sentence. Would have been a lot of fun IMO.

We’ve had a lot of injuries at CB, but it’s not like any of our guys are elite, franchise level players. It’s not anywhere the same as losing a Burrow for the Bengals or Andrews for the Ravens. 

Other teams are hit just as hard, but in different ways - quantity vs. quality. Some are hit a lot worse - so many QB injuries this season it’s ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

We’ve had a lot of injuries at CB, but it’s not like any of our guys are elite, franchise level players. It’s not anywhere the same as losing a Burrow for the Bengals or Andrews for the Ravens. 

Other teams are hit just as hard, but in different ways - quantity vs. quality. Some are hit a lot worse - so many QB injuries this season it’s ridiculous. 

I would still say Richardson and Taylor are big injuries. Brents was a decently big injury. Our first two picks in the draft. Ryan Kelly being out sucked. Grover was a suspension but losing his presence hurts. The equivalent of an injury without being hurt. Jelani being out all year is a bummer. So there's guys that made a difference, or in Richardsons case, could have made all the difference.

You know I was banking on building some more during the draft, but it looks like we will not have a premium spot for blue chip players.  I wonder with how Shane and the rest have been doing with this group, if it’ll open up impact Free Agents to finally look at Indy as a destination to play.  I could see some players wanting to play under Steichen…Just have to hope Ballard would be willing to open up the check book as well

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I don't think so.

Why?  The defense is making plays and turnovers.  One of the top teams in sacks.  We might even have two players get double digit sacks this year.  He’s breaking in a young cornerback group.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  I would say the defense has exceeded most expectations.  People complain about Gus but his defense is resilient and opportunistic.  

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why?  The defense is making plays and turnovers.  One of the top teams in sacks.  We might even have two players get double digit sacks this year.  He’s breaking in a young cornerback group.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  I would say the defense has exceeded most expectations.  People complain about Gus but his defense is resilient and opportunistic.  

Bend but don’t break defenses won’t get you far in the playoffs usually. They get too tired from being on the field for too long. It also doesn’t work normally for close games where you need to stop the opposing offense from getting into field goal range. The Titans for the most part were able to move down the field at will. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Bend but don’t break defenses won’t get you far in the playoffs usually. They get too tired from being on the field for too long. It also doesn’t work normally for close games where you need to stop the opposing offense from getting into field goal range. The Titans for the most part were able to move down the field at will. 

Only because we didn’t have Grover and because our offense couldn’t move the ball in the 1st half.  Bend but don’t break wins a lot in the NFL.  Has for years.

The team as an entire unit has scored at least 20 points in every game this season except against New England. 

Shane has done a stellar job this year. He’s dealt with injuries, hold outs, distractions, controversies and more all while learning on the job as a rookie head coach and has us firmly in the playoff race.

That’s Coach of the Year material right there. 

• Like 4

While coaching staff deserves love except for Bradley. People last year tried to tell me about Bradley and I didn’t want to hear it. This season I see it.

Also, remember how big of a loss people thought Bubba Ventrone was? Great coach and guy, but ST’s hasn’t missed a beat this year. As evidenced by the Patriots, sometimes we as fans give too much credit to the coaches and not the players.

• Like 1

Shane, Reggie, Tony, ST coach, and the secondary coach have all been doing great in my book. I don't like Gus's defense playing 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and long.  I'd rather see press and bring pressure.  Can't deny the sacks though,  but I think that's individuals winning their battles rather than Gus's play calling. 

47 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Shane, Reggie, Tony, ST coach, and the secondary coach have all been doing great in my book. I don't like Gus's defense playing 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and long.  I'd rather see press and bring pressure.  Can't deny the sacks though,  but I think that's individuals winning their battles rather than Gus's play calling. 

Remember whatever you do, whatever you think, whatever you post, don’t EVER give credit to Gus Bradley!    

Whatever good the defense does it come not because of Bradley but in spite of him!

Once this community has spoken, it’s very hard to change opinions.   

(Sarcasm….   Mostly)

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Bring back frank bring back frank lol

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember whatever you do, whatever you think, whatever you post, don’t EVER give credit to Gus Bradley!    

Whatever good the defense does it come not because of Bradley but in spite of him!

Once this community has spoken, it’s very hard to change opinions.   

(Sarcasm….   Mostly)

Even FAKE pressure on third and long would be welcome. but nope, we don't do that either.  Sorry. I just don't like it.

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Even FAKE pressure on third and long would be welcome. but nope, we don't do that either.  Sorry. I just don't like it.

Believe me, I hear you.   And I’m mostly in agreement with you.  I’d like more pressure as well.   

But the defense has been modestly better for roughly a month,  and I think it’s worth noting.   Yes, yes our opponents haven’t been great, point noted.   I’m just looking for a little credit where credit is due. 

Hope you appreciate I wasn’t taking a shot at you.   I think you’re one of our better posters.    I’m a fan.  

• Thanks 1