Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

They have nearly 80 million in cap space for ‘24. Why would they be so concerned about 6.5 million for next year at this stage? 

I wouldn't want them to throw good money after bad. If he's not in the plans, don't risk it. But that could have been accomplished by benching him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't want them to throw good money after bad. If he's not in the plans, don't risk it. But that could have been accomplished by benching him.

Agree completely. That’s why it doesn’t make sense for that to be the prime or only reason. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Long as it’s not to the Texans, Jags, patriots or Steelers, I’m okay with it

Same here. As long as nobody wins it all from our division I will be happy. I want us to be known as the only team in the AFC South ever to win a SB. Going strong since 2002. As far as the Patriots and Steelers go, those are my most 2 hated teams of all-time. I hope the Patriots suck for the next 50 years. 

• Like 2

I have never hated a team, just rooted for my team. If my team wasn’t playing in the playoffs, I quit watching that sport. I just wasn’t interested any more and annoyed my team isn’t still playing and don’t want to be reminded of it. I don’t even watch sports news or talk shows (except Charles and shack on tnt, they are great!) now that I can get information about my teams on line.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard over paid him and because of this no team wanted that big contract. ballard made a huge mistake by over paying making him untradeable, big blunder by ballard. imo one of ballards worst moves.

I think it’s more the owner with these contracts, it’s been going on for multiple gm’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

it would make ballard look bad if he helped the texans or jags win it all.

I choose to not be worried. In fact, I would have liked it much better if he had helped the Colts win it all. But it seemed that no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't.

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard over paid him and because of this no team wanted that big contract. ballard made a huge mistake by over paying making him untradeable, big blunder by ballard. imo one of ballards worst moves.

The guaranteed money isn't much.   If a team thought he could come in and get them over the top,  he would have been claimed.   I think he gets picked up by someone though

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

he may choose if he can to play in our division just to show ballard that cutting him was a mistake and help the texans or jags win it all

The jags defense is for real.

An inexpensive healthy Shaq could be the missing piece 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No matter the situation, I would have never waived him now. If we wanted to do it, it needed to be done at the end of the season. He still gave us LB depth and seemed well liked among other teammates.  That just my opinion. In the middle of any playoff run, you don't need any unnecessary distractions or locker room problems. It seems like every time this team gets momentum, and everything is positive, we throw a wrench in things. The Colts sometimes create their own problems. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No matter the situation, I would have never waived him now. If we wanted to do it, it needed to be done at the end of the season. He still gave us LB depth and seemed well liked among other teammates.  That just my opinion. In the middle of any playoff run, you don't need any unnecessary distractions or locker room problems. It seems like every time this team gets momentum, and everything is positive, we throw a wrench in things. The Colts sometimes create their own problems. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with not needing to waive him, but his commentary on the snap count issue was only going to get worse. And that to me is a distraction coming from your captain. Handle it internally. He did not. 

Love him. He was by far my favorite defender since Mathis left. Loved his energy and his leadership off the field. His injuries have not been good to him. His play was not good this year and with Speed being the other option in nickel back sets, it was obvious who needed to be out there. To go to the media and say “I don’t know what else I can do,” and then follow it up with the missed tackle against Zeke Elliott made me cringe. Our best defender turned into a $20 million dollar liability. 

Had he kept his dialogue internally, I feel like things would have been entirely different. This was an offseason move made way early because of commentary on coaching decisions. And correct decisions at that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you were away for a short while.  But if you get some time, scroll back at some of the conversation between @w87r and @Superman   They have some good thoughts about why the move now was probably better for all parties.  How the Colts benefit, and why it helps Shaq too.   

I think it may give you a different perspective. 

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.   :thmup:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know you were away for a short while.  But if you get some time, scroll back at some of the conversation between @w87r and @Superman   They have some good thoughts about why the move now was probably better for all parties.  How the Colts benefit, and why it helps Shaq too.   

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This wasn’t directed to me, but thanks for the perspective. I wasn’t aware of the ‘24 injury guarantee, which changes my own perspective a little. 

I still can’t imagine the media commentary didn’t play a part, even though Steichen says otherwise. Steichen’s stress on accountability seems to be at play some. How can you be taken seriously if you aren’t holding your top paid players accountable? Call it what it is, Leonard’s play has not been stellar. I put my head down and was sad to see the effort he put on several plays in the Patriots game, but especially the Zeke whiff. It’s just not what I came to love about Shaq. But the comments to the media prior made it even worse. How can you blame the defensive scheme not putting you in a position to fly around the field and make plays when you no longer fly around the field at all? 

It’s a sad situation. Looking back at the beginning of the 2019 season, I was looking forward to many years with #12 under center and #53 on defense. We didn’t get another game… and only a handful of seasons with Leonard on defense. Time is a thief. As I get older, I realize why so many teams go all-in so often. The years go by fast.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This wasn’t directed to me, but thanks for the perspective. I wasn’t aware of the ‘24 injury guarantee, which changes my own perspective a little. 

I still can’t imagine the media commentary didn’t play a part, even though Steichen says otherwise. Steichen’s stress on accountability seems to be at play some. How can you be taken seriously if you aren’t holding your top paid players accountable? Call it what it is, Leonard’s play has not been stellar. I put my head down and was sad to see the effort he put on several plays in the Patriots game, but especially the Zeke whiff. It’s just not what I came to love about Shaq. But the comments to the media prior made it even worse. How can you blame the defensive scheme not putting you in a position to fly around the field and make plays when you no longer fly around the field at all? 

It’s a sad situation. Looking back at the beginning of the 2019 season, I was looking forward to many years with #12 under center and #53 on defense. We didn’t get another game… and only a handful of seasons with Leonard on defense. Time is a thief. As I get older, I realize why so many teams go all-in so often. The years go by fast.

The injury guarantee for next year is the only thing that makes sense for cutting him now.   There is no other scenario 

His comments to the media weren't a factor if the are building a team based on talent.   Leonard is better than the guys he will be replaced with.   As always,  I'm a Colts fan first .  I figured this would be he last year here.   To pay him 6 million to not be here makes no sense other than the injury guarantee next year

56 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with not needing to waive him, but his commentary on the snap count issue was only going to get worse. And that to me is a distraction coming from your captain. Handle it internally. He did not. 

Love him. He was by far my favorite defender since Mathis left. Loved his energy and his leadership off the field. His injuries have not been good to him. His play was not good this year and with Speed being the other option in nickel back sets, it was obvious who needed to be out there. To go to the media and say “I don’t know what else I can do,” and then follow it up with the missed tackle against Zeke Elliott made me cringe. Our best defender turned into a $20 million dollar liability. 

Had he kept his dialogue internally, I feel like things would have been entirely different. This was an offseason move made way early because of commentary on coaching decisions. And correct decisions at that. 

Explain the 20 million dollar liability?