Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG3 overhyped?

bap1331

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucks not exciting. He was just the first pick last year and this year, which doesn't sell newspapers or mags.

You're right. A guy with a short haircut that is still going to school, that shares a car with his sister, that goes to Indianapolis isn't news, it's boring.

Now a young stud quarterback with dreads that tells the Colts "no" when they want to see a workout and who goes to Washington DC--the crime capital of the USA now thats news.

You're right. A guy with a short haircut that is still going to school, that shares a car with his sister, that goes to Indianapolis isn't news, it's boring.

Now a young stud quarterback with dreads that tells the Colts "no" when they want to see a workout and who goes to Washington DC--the crime capital of the USA now thats news.

lmao

I like RG3 a lot. I can't root for him, because I'm a Giants fan and the division is already brutal. But, I like him. I think both QBs ended up with the teams that best suit them.

Yep.

And in the end, they are not even in the same conference. (Luck/RG3)

Both QBs have been drafted IMO to the right teams. Speculation is over.

Now both cities can have fun watching them grow up/devlop etc. etc.

You guys are making this all up. From an outside perspective I didn't notice anything different.

And for the record both QBs are overhyped.

The cover of Sports Illustrated says Who should go first? And then Luck in tiny letters, and RG3 in huge letters accompanied by a large photo of RG. Also on ESPN the magazine. People actually think that he's the better college prospect! They say he's more accurate, and smart, but really mean he's faster with a slightly stronger arm. There is no saying RG3 hasn't received more attention over the last 3 months.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/espn-the-magazine/

And this "outside perspective" coming from a fan of our forever little brother and division rival?

Out of Luck and RGIII, the latter is the more marketable and he adorn more sports magazines / newspapers in the lead up to the pre-season. That was a given. Luck will see his fair share of attention though I think he will go under the radar a little more getting on with business. That is one of many Manning qualities I see in young Andrew.

All I care about is winning. RGIII can have the front covers, the highlight reel plays etc. I will take a 10-15 year career QB with a ring or two on hjis resume. We drafted the right guy and I honestly believe Andrew took his first step toward a NFL Hall Of Fame career. That is a big call though I have him as a "can't miss" pick and I think we will look back on this draft as fondly as we did back in 1998 when Peyton was drafted.

Washington erred in taking Kirk Cousins in the fourth round in my opinion whilst on the subject of RGIII. The Skins created a "QB controversy" they didn't need and could have used that pick on another need on that team from where I sit.

The cover of Sports Illustrated says Who should go first? And then Luck in tiny letters, and RG3 in huge letters accompanied by a large photo of RG. Also on ESPN the magazine. People actually think that he's the better college prospect! They say he's more accurate, and smart, but really mean he's faster with a slightly stronger arm. There is no saying RG3 hasn't received more attention over the last 3 months.

http://insider.espn....n-the-magazine/

And this "outside perspective" coming from a fan of our forever little brother and division rival?

It's because he's the "wild card" pick. Andrew Luck's been the friggin' man since coming out of high school. He's the vanilla pick, the "obvious" choice, while RG3 is the contrarian. It's like saying, "Should the Patriots be favored to win the division, OR IS IT THE BILLS?!??!?!?" It's all to make you look at it and wonder. Also to make you want to buy their magazine. Is this really that hard to understand?

And as for your last little quip...

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

It's because he's the "wild card" pick. Andrew Luck's been the friggin' man since coming out of high school. He's the vanilla pick, the "obvious" choice, while RG3 is the contrarian. It's like saying, "Should the Patriots be favored to win the division, OR IS IT THE BILLS?!??!?!?" It's all to make you look at it and wonder. Also to make you want to buy their magazine. Is this really that hard to understand?

And as for your last little quip...

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

I didn't say I don't understand, I said that you saying RG3 wasn't more talked about was wrong. You implied I wasn't understanding why he was being talked about more. I know why. You said we were making up the fact that RG3 was getting more attention, and yet in the post above admitted he was because it is "the wild card pick" don't want to start something, I thought I brought up some good points.

I didn't say I don't understand, I said that you saying RG3 wasn't more talked about was wrong. You implied I wasn't understanding why he was being talked about more. I know why. You said we were making up the fact that RG3 was getting more attention, and yet in the post above admitted he was because it is "the wild card pick" don't want to start something, I thought I brought up some good points.

I was referring to the magazine itself. And I watched the draft and didn't notice any bias. I mean honestly, RG3 is a more compelling story anyway, going to a city that hasn't really ever had an elite QB.

The OP was implying that there was some sort of "Colt hate" thing going on, which just isn't true.

Both quarterbacks have some pretty nauseatingly 'everyman' type stories associated with them. Griffin drives an old Chrysler Pacifica and his "dreads" are just braids that he originally had his mom do as a bonding thing. Heck, just look at this picture of him with his fiance:

16153_191692417230_539467230_3441861_5448895_n.jpg

Pretty unremarkable.

The difference between the two is simply that Griffin is more outgoing by nature, is going to a MUCH bigger market, and had more of a flair for the dramatic on the field in 2011. It's a little bit like how Vince Young began to overshadow Matt Leinart in the discussion prior to the 2006 NFL draft after the dramatic Rose Bowl comeback even though Leinart was far and away more polished and safer... except neither of these guys are the * that Young and Leinart are. (This board censors the old ID ten T? Weeeeird.)

You're a decade or two late on the crime capital thing. Parts of the city are still pretty miserable but on the whole it's miles better than it was in the '80s and '90s. Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, and Oakland are way worse last I checked. :)

Washington erred in taking Kirk Cousins in the fourth round in my opinion whilst on the subject of RGIII. The Skins created a "QB controversy" they didn't need and could have used that pick on another need on that team from where I sit.

There is no QB controversy because we grabbed Cousins. Everyone knows Griffin is the man going forward. If he fails to perform in truly stunning fashion then there would probably be a QB controversy regardless of the presence of Cousins. C'est la vie.

I was referring to the magazine itself. And I watched the draft and didn't notice any bias. I mean honestly, RG3 is a more compelling story anyway, going to a city that hasn't really ever had an elite QB.

The OP was implying that there was some sort of "Colt hate" thing going on, which just isn't true.

I take offense to that. We've had elite QBs before... just... not since the early '70s... and the '40s before that... or so I've heard :Cry:

I have no interest in RG3 or the Skins (mediocre team, has been coach, why are they going to be so good?) never heard of him until he won the heisman. I'd say there is a small chance that he'll be better than average, Conventional wisdom on this kid is too lock step by the media to be true. Over hyped, yes. Worth 3 first round picks, no. This could blow up, and it would serve as a gentle reminder to those who think College stats and T.V personalities are King makers to pay less attention to the NFL's own overhyped draft.

I'm verrrrrry skeptical of rg3. Last year mcshay and kiper had him going late 2nd maybe 3rd and said he would have to transition to a WR. A year later he is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't get it. I have seen this story mannnnny times and so have all u

I think it says something that the Skins invested a 3rd rd. pick on another QB. Doesn't really instill a lot of confidence in RG3 IMO. I think they feel like he may be injury prone with the way he plays. Which is exactly what many thought about him in the first place. Leave it to the Skins to create bad chemestry before they sign either of these guys. It would be hilarious if Cousins outperformed RG3 in training camp and preseason.

I think it says something that the Skins invested a 3rd rd. pick on another QB. Doesn't really instill a lot of confidence in RG3 IMO. I think they feel like he may be injury prone with the way he plays. Which is exactly what many thought about him in the first place. Leave it to the Skins to create bad chemestry before they sign either of these guys. It would be hilarious if Cousins outperformed RG3 in training camp and preseason.

I've been saying the same thing over and over and why a 3rd? CMON MAN the Skins see Griffin as a huge injury waiting to happen.I could understand a late rd QB UDFA but the 3rd.It has to tell people hmmm just in case.Stop and think about a 1st and 3rd rd QB where does it make sense.

He was an early 4th rounder, not 3rd. It was a very Redskins-like pick. I think a quality backup is a good idea with a small scrambler like RG3, but such an early pick? And i thought Grossman or Beck were quality backups, no need to draft another QB at all, especially when you couldve gotten a quality OL or WR or TE for RG3.

I think it's a funny thing that team's draft picks have to be twisted around to fit pre-conceived notions regarding players on other teams. I'm sure that a lot of people are saying that they find it funny and strange that the Colts have to surround Luck with two of his favorite targets from Stanford.

I think it's a funny thing that team's draft picks have to be twisted around to fit pre-conceived notions regarding players on other teams. I'm sure that a lot of people are saying that they find it funny and strange that the Colts have to surround Luck with two of his favorite targets from Stanford.

Fleener and.......? whalen? he is an UDFA and prolly wont even make the team

I think we should stop talking about who is overhyped on other teams period because we certainly are overhyping plenty of players on our own team and obviously just to make us feel better, because looking at all this competition we have going on our roster for a roster spot says one thing clearly, we dont have alot of established starters

He was an early 4th rounder, not 3rd. It was a very Redskins-like pick. I think a quality backup is a good idea with a small scrambler like RG3, but such an early pick? And i thought Grossman or Beck were quality backups, no need to draft another QB at all, especially when you couldve gotten a quality OL or WR or TE for RG3.

Yep, my bad. Thought it was a 3rd. Still don't change my opinion.

The Cousins pick speaks to our distaste for Beck and, to a lesser extent, Grossman than it does any sort of concerns about Griffin. Shanahan clearly had a higher than 4th round grade on the guy because he has remarked that he considers the selection a steal. Our focus this draft was almost entirely on depth after the first pick, anyway. Only one or two of the guys (besides RGIII) we selected will push for a starting job immediately.

I have no interest in Luck or the Colts (worst team in the league, inexperienced coach, why are they going to be so good?)

I can certainly understand the sentiment ;)

The Cousins pick speaks to our distaste for Beck and, to a lesser extent, Grossman than it does any sort of concerns about Griffin. Shanahan clearly had a higher than 4th round grade on the guy because he has remarked that he considers the selection a steal. Our focus this draft was almost entirely on depth after the first pick, anyway. Only one or two of the guys (besides RGIII) we selected will push for a starting job immediately.

No you don't.

I am so sorry that you have to deal with the worst owner in the NFL. Seriously, I'd rather have Al Davis in his current state than Schneider!

im sorry but thats all the media talks about. Its like they skipped the first overall to second pick.

There seems to be some "IGNORE COLTS" campaign going around. I passed so many newstands in New York on my way to the draft and RG3 was on EVERY cover. Anybody else feel the sameway?

I like RG3 but give Luck some love! lol.

Well what do you think now? After this Colts draft surrounding Luck with all these weapons it seems they are giving him and the Colts plenty of attention to me.

As I said in an earlier post, the Skins erred in taking Cousins. It created a QB controversy and unnecessary internal pressure on RGIII who should have been the clear cut starter this season. When the Skins struggle (inevitably) there will be added pressure on RGIII both from inside and outside the organisation knowing they have another fine young QB holding the clipboard.

A dumb move from an organisation that continues to bumble along since their '91 Super Bowl win.

Source: ESPN - Article by Ashley Fox

Article link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7872297/mike-shanahan-tries-get-cute-draft

Washington created an unnecessary quarterback competition that could hurt Robert Griffin III. Mike Shanahan said he couldn't help himself when he drafted Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins in the fourth round, with pick No. 102 overall, on Saturday. He should have resisted the urge.

The Redskins have had 21 starting quarterbacks in the last 19 seasons. They need stability at the position. They need a clear-cut starter. It appeared that they would have that with Griffin, whom they traded up to get. And then Shanahan got cute and took Cousins, who won 27 games for the Spartans.

Maybe Shanahan can create a clear pecking order among the two, with Griffin the starter and Cousins the backup. According to NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Redskins parted ways with John Beck on Monday morning, clearing room for Cousins. But at some point this season, Griffin will struggle. It is inevitable. And when he does, a fan base that is desperate for a winner will start calling for Cousins. They will want a 23rd starting quarterback in 20 seasons, not the chosen 22nd, and that won't help the Redskins at all.

i hope rg3 is a bust

That's harsh, why? Think about what you're wishing. You're wishing that a young mans career is a failure, and so is he. A young man whom you've never met! Hope for Luck's success, not RG3's failure.

As I said in an earlier post, the Skins erred in taking Cousins. It created a QB controversy and unnecessary internal pressure on RGIII who should have been the clear cut starter this season. When the Skins struggle (inevitably) there will be added pressure on RGIII both from inside and outside the organisation knowing they have another fine young QB holding the clipboard.

A dumb move from an organisation that continues to bumble along since their '91 Super Bowl win.

Source: ESPN - Article by Ashley Fox

Article link: http://espn.go.com/n...-get-cute-draft

The Skins didnt have any other choice. They took a QB that is very likely to get injured and had no other choice but to grab insurance. Great pick by the Skins and if this is enough to shake up RG3, than he doesnt have the mentality needed to play qb in the NFL

The Skins didnt have any other choice. They took a QB that is very likely to get injured and had no other choice but to grab insurance. Great pick by the Skins and if this is enough to shake up RG3, than he doesnt have the mentality needed to play qb in the NFL

No choice? They could've stuck with Grossman and Beck. They're more than capable backups.

I can only wonder what the Redskins were thinking?

Add up what they did this year. They gave up FIVE (5) draft picks in order to select two QB's this season. That's three 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick for two rookie QB's, and one of those QB's cannot possibly be happy about his team.

meh..who cares. once the season starts fans will be invested in their own teams and will forget all the hype. for all the well deserved attention cam newton recieved last year i saw him play exactly one time.

meh..who cares. once the season starts fans will be invested in their own teams and will forget all the hype. for all the well deserved attention cam newton recieved last year i saw him play exactly one time.

then we can all hear about Matt Barkley vs Denard Robinson

I can only wonder what the Redskins were thinking?

Add up what they did this year. They gave up FIVE (5) draft picks in order to select two QB's this season. That's three 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick for two rookie QB's, and one of those QB's cannot possibly be happy about his team.

Griffin is thrilled to be a Redskin and, while Cousins was surprised that we took him, I can't imagine him being too upset either. It shouldn't be too hard to get yourself excited about playing for coaches who have worked with and produced great results with Elway, Young, Plummer, Cutler, and Schaub.

No choice? They could've stuck with Grossman and Beck. They're more than capable backups.

Let's say in three years the Skins are playoff bound, but in week 13 RG3 pulls his ACL and has no choice but to be out for the remainder of the season. Would you rather have Cousins, who's been in the system for three years and knows it well, or Rex or Beck or try your luck at a free agent veteran back up.

Ask Eagles fans how they feel about their back up situation now that Kolb is gone and Vince sucked it up like he always does. When you have an injury risk at qb, you better have a great back up

RGIII is way overhyped. I heard somewhere that he fumbles and can't handle the pressure when rushed. He sounds like an absolute disaster with him running and he looks so scrawny. I can't see him staying healthy beyond half a season.

this is how manning and leaf was compared when entering the draft. many scouts have said that leaf had the stronger arm and bigger upside but manning was more nfl ready. manning footwork in the pocket,accuracy,and mechanics was the best nfl scouts has seen since elway, same with luck. rg3 is great in shotgun but so are many college qb's, but when he has to go under center and play more traditional thats where he will struggle. luck has played in a nfl style offense his entire college career which will benefit him greatly at the next level. cam is the only exception out of all the mobile qb's who's had success in the nfl passing the ball out of the spread offense in college because of his size,athletism, and playmaking ability. . redskins wr core is really being overhyped by the nfl analyst as if garcon is megatron. other then garcon all they have is moss who is old,morgan injury prone,2te's are decent,and gaffney the leading wr who just got released. we have wayne,collie,2 stud te's,avery,and hilton. i think we have a much better offensve playmakers and oline then the redskins. not only will luck have a better career but also a better season then rg3