Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Integrity of the Game

2006Coltsbestever

Integrity of the game  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are games rigged at times by the REFS and the league to help certain teams win?

2. 2. Are games altered by the REFS to help a team out?

3. 3. Do you think REFS gamble on NFL games they officiate?

Pretty telling poll. 14 people voted YES that games are altered by the REFS to help a team out, only 9 voted NO. 

Important:

Nobody is saying this happens all the time nor am I but some think it happens at times, and I agree.

6 people actually vote YES to games being Rigged. I voted MAYBE because there have been a few games over the years that have looked real fishy. 6 for that kind of question is scary. Everyone that voted has a lot of knowledge regarding football as well, so it isn't like the people that voted know little about it.

The question do REFS gamble on the games they officiate is almost split right down the board. 8 said YES, 9 NO, 8 MAYBE. I voted MAYBE.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:18 PM, Superman said:

The ref threw a flag because there was PI. Didn't Baker grab the receiver, right in front of the ref? It's not like this was a phantom call, right?

After that, the crew decided the penalty should stand. That's oversight. Maybe that decision was wrong, but even so, we're talking about a technicality that wouldn't even matter if there wasn't actually a penalty to call. So the ref was counting on a potential PI in the end zone?

Side note, but I actually think the ref did the right thing. What usually happens in this situation is the flag is thrown, then they confer, and determine whether the pass should be considered uncatchable. I believe that happened in this case, and the crew decided not to call it uncatchable. So again, I don't think this is a good example of a ref being able to impact a game.

I'm on the record. Good talk.

You have misread the NFL rules. It doesn't matter whether or not Butler interfered with the player. Per NFL Rule 8, Section 5, Article 3(c) it is a permissible play because the pass was uncatchable - it was out of the endzone, therefore no pass interference can be called.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

How did I not? You go with the person who has more experience directly related to the situation.

Maybe drop the snark and just ask next time. It makes conversation easier.

I did ask. You wrote that if a player makes a point against that of a non-player, the person who has played the game is right. So, I replied what if two players disagree. In other words, what if a player agrees with the non-player and another player does not? Using your argument (that the player is always right), who is right? You replied the one with more acumen. How do you determine that? It is a cop out. The person who has not played may have "more acumen" and that destroys your argument.

You're making a mockery out of this. I won't continue to engage.

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did ask. You wrote that if a player makes a point against that of a non-player, the person who has played the game is right. So, I replied what if two players disagree. In other words, what if a player agrees with the non-player and another player does not? Using your argument, who is right. You replied the one with more acumen. How do you determine that? The person who has not played may have "more acumen" and that destroys your argument.

Thanks.

Ask *without being snarky.

And I did explain. Just like in all things, you go with the person who has better insight, which as I said, is almost always going to be a player vs someone on a message board. The situation in which this was mentioned was one person disagreeing with Pat, Darius Butler, and AJ Hawk (and now Irsay and the league itself). I said, with all due respect, I would side with the players. Of course there will be exceptions, which is why I added the caveat. But as a general rule, players who have played the game at the highest level will have more insight than people on a message board.

It’s unfortunate you feel that way but at the end of the day, my take on this particular topic was not unreasonable.

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did ask. You wrote that if a player makes a point against that of a non-player, the person who has played the game is right. So, I replied what if two players disagree. In other words, what if a player agrees with the non-player and another player does not? Using your argument (that the player is always right), who is right? You replied the one with more acumen. How do you determine that? It is a cop out. The person who has not played may have "more acumen" and that destroys your argument.

Thanks.

I'll give a quick opinion. I'm taking an opinion of a player that's admitting information that the general public would never know otherwise over a player that's just towing the company line because he knows not to say anything. This is assuming, of course, that both players had a decision against them that was wrong, and one knew to keep his mouth shut and the other didn't. 

I said earlier in the thread that subtle hints are being thrown out that football is rigged, this would be one of them if a player was upset and he spilled a secret that the NFL doesn't want people to know out of pure emotion. I would take this seriously, whether it was covered up, he deleted the post, or he apologized for his actions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks.

Angry Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

On 10/26/2023 at 8:18 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll give a quick opinion. I'm taking an opinion of a player that's admitting information that the general public would never know otherwise over a player that's just towing the company line because he knows not to say anything. This is assuming, of course, that both players had a decision against them that was wrong, and one knew to keep his mouth shut and the other didn't. 

I said earlier in the thread that subtle hints are being thrown out that football is rigged, this would be one of them if a player was upset and he spilled a secret that the NFL doesn't want people to know out of pure emotion. I would take this seriously, whether it was covered up, he deleted the post, or he apologized for his actions.

Why have zero ex players or coaches came out and spilled the beans on this conspiracy?

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why have zero ex players or coaches came out and spilled the beans on this conspiracy?

There have been players that have said that "this is the script" before and have said the refs are rigging the game. Arian Foster has admitted the game is rigged. So you're wrong there. I'd have to dig into the coaches. 

Also, Goodell asked the fans before the Chiefs/Eagles SB if they enjoyed the script. He said the Bosa brothers didn't work out, so he chose the Kelces. You can laugh all you want, but he gave a subtle hint that it was rigged, and the fans took it as a joke instead of taking it serious that he was telling the truth.

Let me start with the refs at the end of the Colts and Browns game made two clear mistakes that even the league has acknowledged to the Colts.  Not the only reason the Colts lost but still extremely frustrating.  

That said I find it laughable that some see it as a sign of a broader conspiracy.  I think like any professional their officials sometimes make mistakes.  If you watch college football or remember the replacement officials these guys get it right way more than they don’t and are better at it than others.

I also think like any other sport certain teams and players get calls or don’t get called because of who they are.  Not ideal but as long as you have humans officiating games and they are given leeway to make judgment calls that’s going to be a thing.  

I also do think the league holds officials accountable.  They just aren’t required to tell the public about it and that’s because they don’t want the public scrutiny that would come with that and impacting how people see their game.  Yes, right now people do complain and grumble about the officials but it would be way more if they publicly announced punishments and it would lead to people questing well why did this ref only get this or whatever or heaven forbid they feel the officials made the right call and a fan base disagrees and nothing is done.  You can disagree with that stance and say it needs to change and you might be right I am just saying why I don’t think the league does it, they feel it would make things worse.  

As for people openly wondering if officials have money on a game I just don’t buy it.  Yes I know one NBA official got caught but let’s also remember that was one official in all four major pro sports in the US that was caught in the history of them.  That’s an exception.  Not a rule.  I can promise you the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL watch for that like hawks and there is no benefit of the doubt if they suspect it.  They will fire that official in a heart beat because they know what that would do to the integrity of their league.

47 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Also, Goodell asked the fans before the Chiefs/Eagles SB if they enjoyed the script. He said the Bosa brothers didn't work out, so he chose the Kelces. You can laugh all you want, but he gave a subtle hint that it was rigged, and the fans took it as a joke instead of taking it serious that he was telling the truth.

Dear Lord...

Bonehead2.gif

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There have been players that have said that "this is the script" before and have said the refs are rigging the game. Arian Foster has admitted the game is rigged. So you're wrong there. I'd have to dig into the coaches. 

If there was a script,  do you really think Goodell would joke about it??  You and your conspiracy theorist are funny though.   What are your thoughts on flat earth?

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If there was a script,  do you really think Goodell would joke about it??  You and your conspiracy theorist are funny though.   What are your thoughts on flat earth?

Yep, Goddell would joke about it because he knows the fans are dumb enough that they would never catch on. The few like me that are smart enough to know are in the minority and don't have a voice other than youtube and twitter where people can hear and see. Even then, it's never taken seriously. 

I think it's funny that you're in such denial that it's predetermined, and nothing will change your mind until it is admitted. You can't handle that the game you loved your entire life is sports entertainment like the wwe. You're just like a wrestling fan of the 70s and 80s. In that era, the wrestlers would beat people up for calling it fake. Now everyone knows. Hold on til the end though, cause it's going to be a bumpy ride as it gets more and more obvious.

Here's a hint. The Earth is round. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep, Goddell would joke about it because he knows the fans are dumb enough that they would never catch on. The few like me that are smart enough to know are in the minority and don't have a voice other than youtube and twitter where people can hear and see. Even then, it's never taken seriously. 

I think it's funny that you're in such denial that it's predetermined, and nothing will change your mind until it is admitted. You can't handle that the game you loved your entire life is sports entertainment like the wwe. You're just like a wrestling fan of the 70s and 80s. In that era, the wrestlers would beat people up for calling it fake. Now everyone knows. Hold on til the end though, cause it's going to be a bumpy ride as it gets more and more obvious.

Here's a hint. The Earth is round. 

It's a multi billion dollar business.  Anyone that thinks it's rigged is delusional.   They don't have to rig anything to get great ratings.  The Jags and lions would dominate the ratings in a superbowl.  The league would never give that up .  Get real bud

The difference between the NFL and the WWE 'scripting' is that so many fans now bet on NFL games. Both are entertainment businesses designed to make money for its stakeholders. Even in Vegas, the odds always favor the house, and that becomes the finger on the scales of NFL football, even if it is a very light finger.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let me start with the refs at the end of the Colts and Browns game made two clear mistakes that even the league has acknowledged to the Colts.  Not the only reason the Colts lost but still extremely frustrating.  

That said I find it laughable that some see it as a sign of a broader conspiracy.  I think like any professional their officials sometimes make mistakes.  If you watch college football or remember the replacement officials these guys get it right way more than they don’t and are better at it than others.

I also think like any other sport certain teams and players get calls or don’t get called because of who they are.  Not ideal but as long as you have humans officiating games and they are given leeway to make judgment calls that’s going to be a thing.  

I also do think the league holds officials accountable.  They just aren’t required to tell the public about it and that’s because they don’t want the public scrutiny that would come with that and impacting how people see their game.  Yes, right now people do complain and grumble about the officials but it would be way more if they publicly announced punishments and it would lead to people questing well why did this ref only get this or whatever or heaven forbid they feel the officials made the right call and a fan base disagrees and nothing is done.  You can disagree with that stance and say it needs to change and you might be right I am just saying why I don’t think the league does it, they feel it would make things worse.  

As for people openly wondering if officials have money on a game I just don’t buy it.  Yes I know one NBA official got caught but let’s also remember that was one official in all four major pro sports in the US that was caught in the history of them.  That’s an exception.  Not a rule.  I can promise you the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL watch for that like hawks and there is no benefit of the doubt if they suspect it.  They will fire that official in a heart beat because they know what that would do to the integrity of their league.

I agree with the first three paragraphs. But the last two I want to discuss in greater detail.

While I agree it’s entirely possible there is punishment behind the scenes, no one can say what it is. You’d think that with all of the former refs out there they’d be able to say there’s anything more than game assignments. Additionally, I think most fans would have some of their concerns made if they knew what the overall discipline or consequences were, not necessarily who specifically got what punishment, just knowing what was on the table. I know most business don’t need to do that but most business aren’t public facing to the extent that the NFL is.

Your assumption is that the league(s) would admit to finding out about officials gambling. In your own words you said it would be catastrophic for the league(s). Tim Donaghy was known due to the FBI stumbling onto it. The FBI has a certain level of requirements in reporting their dealings (plus they’re leaky as all sin). The league(s) aren’t required to admit anything in this regard and are even incentivized to not do so due to the damage it would cause. It’s a matter of self-preservation and could be considered an internal matter (most companies have some sort of vague rule about misconduct).

I’m not saying that this is even happening. What I am saying is that today, it’s easier than ever for this type of thing to happen. One should never doubt the abilities or commitment of criminals where money is involved. I’ve seen pretty sophisticated MOs for simple property crimes and fraud. 

I'd like to know how many referees have been fired due to poor performance. I'm not talking about after a couple of botched calls like in the Colts/Browns game, but rather refs who are consistently sub par. Are they "cut" and replaced with refs from the "referee practice squad?" I honestly have no clue. 

15 hours ago, coltsva said:

I'd like to know how many referees have been fired due to poor performance. I'm not talking about after a couple of botched calls like in the Colts/Browns game, but rather refs who are consistently sub par. Are they "cut" and replaced with refs from the "referee practice squad?" I honestly have no clue. 

There should be a Jerome Boger Trophy given to the refs of the Colts / Browns Game. Boger would sometimes make up rules for his calls. Today, infraction calls are highly subjective (flashing a Peace sign ala Hill's), and the rules actually in the book are meaningless.

From 2003-2009 when Ron Winter was head referee, we were 1-8 (1-9 counting the playoffs). Only win we had was over Denver in 2009 and Denver was a bad team. Explain how a team goes 89-23 over that time frame but 1-8 when a particular Ref calls the game?? I always thought ol' Ron had a vendetta against us. He REF'd the 2008 playoff game when we played at San Diego. That was the famous game where the Chargers had 3 penalties and we had 12. Dwight Freeney was being held all game and the dufus REF let it go all game.

12 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

There should be a Jerome Boger Trophy given to the refs of the Colts / Browns Game. Boger would sometimes make up rules for his calls. Today, infraction calls are highly subjective (flashing a Peace sign ala Hill's), and the rules actually in the book are meaningless.

Winter and Boger were the 2 worse I have ever seen.

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I don’t think the game is 100% scripted. Too many variables.

But I will say this: some refs have overinflated egos and as humans have bias. 

I don't think it is fixed but altered at times in certain games - yes. What I mean by that is, it is easy in a game to let some teams get away with holding and the opposing team not get called for it. Those are usually close plays so many just blow it off and say it was a legit missed call, REFS are human. A diehard fan that has watched for 30 years or more knows better though. They know what is Bull and what isn't. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think it is fixed but altered at times in certain games - yes. What I mean by that is, it is easy in a game to let some teams get away with holding and the opposing team not get called for it. Those are usually close plays so many just blow it off and say it was a legit missed call, REFS are human. A diehard fan that has watched for 30 years or more knows better though. They know what is Bull and what isn't. 

I disagree.  Are you saying the league tells the refs to call plays differently for some teams to give them a better chance at winning?   I don't recall any refs saying that happens.  It'd be tough to keep it quiet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.  Are you saying the league tells the refs to call plays differently for some teams to give them a better chance at winning?   I don't recall any refs saying that happens.  It'd be tough to keep it quiet.

Even if 1 or 2 REFS admitted it, it would not do any good because there is no proof. The league could say they are lying, show proof. I am not saying this happens but if REFS are being Pay'd to favor 1 team in a game, it would be cash under the table, so there is no proof of anything.

32 people voted to whether or not to - do REFS alter certain games to help a team out. 17 disagree with you, 10 agree with you, that is a pretty wide margin. Most people in here have about the same knowledge that post regular. That is why I wanted to make this poll. I already knew what the results would be because it is obvious. I am not saying games are fixed, huge difference. I will leave it at that because I have said my peace on it. I have watched sports way too long to know this happens at times. 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if 1 or 2 REFS admitted it, it would not do any good because there is no proof. The league could say they are lying, show proof. I am not saying this happens but if REFS are being Pay'd to favor 1 team in a game, it would be cash under the table, so there is no proof of anything.

32 people voted to whether or not to - do REFS alter certain games to help a team out. 17 disagree with you, 10 agree with you, that is a pretty wide margin. Most people in here have about the same knowledge that post regular. That is why I wanted to make this poll. I already knew what the results would be because it is obvious. I am not saying games are fixed, huge difference. I will leave it at that because I have said my peace on it. I have watched sports way too long to know this happens at times. 

Why bother watching the NFL if you believe that? I don't think I can watch anything that I believe is fixed, rigged or deliberately "altered". I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago when at the time, I thought the NBA wanted the Lakers to win. I have not seen that consistently enough to think that the NFL is fixed.

Also, just because some people believe that, that is not proof that refs deliberately make calls to help some teams win. Vikings fans always thought refs made calls in favor of the Packers. That does not mean those calls were made deliberately to help the Packers win. It was just what we thought. 

Bad calls will be made. We only seem to remember them when they hurt our teams. When the calls are made in favor of our teams, we dismiss it or think "they owe us one".

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Why bother watching the NFL if you believe that? I don't think I can watch anything that I believe is fixed, rigged or deliberately "altered". I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago when at the time, I thought the NBA wanted the Lakers to win. I have not seen that consistently enough to think that it is fixed.

Also, just because some people believe that, that is not proof that refs deliberately make calls to be make some teams win. Vikings fans always thought refs made calls in favor of the Packers. That does not mean those calls were made deliberately to help the Packers win. Bad calls will be made. We only seem to remember them when they hurt our teams. When the calls are made in favor of our teams, we dismiss it or think "they owe us one".

To your first sentence, because I love the game of football. I never said anything was fixed either. I just said altered at times, I have my reasons to think so, maybe you don't. The NBA is just as big as the NFL, and you think the NBA is fixed so why do you think games being altered in the NFL isn't possible? 

You are basically saying that the NBA fixed it for the Lakers to win. 

19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Why bother watching the NFL if you believe that? I don't think I can watch anything that I believe is fixed, rigged or deliberately "altered". I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago when at the time, I thought the NBA wanted the Lakers to win. I have not seen that consistently enough to think that the NFL is fixed.

Also, just because some people believe that, that is not proof that refs deliberately make calls to be make some teams win. Vikings fans always thought refs made calls in favor of the Packers. That does not mean those calls were made deliberately to help the Packers win. It was just what we thought. 

Bad calls will be made. We only seem to remember them when they hurt our teams. When the calls are made in favor of our teams, we dismiss it or think "they owe us one".

I am with you.   I don't watch anything i think is "predetermined".  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your first sentence, because I love the game of football. I never said anything was fixed either. I just said altered at times, I have my reasons to think so, maybe you don't. The NBA is just as big as the NFL, and you think the NBA is fixed so why do you think games being altered in the NFL isn't possible? 

You are basically saying that the NBA fixed it for the Lakers to win. 

I did. I said I stopped watching because I thought the NBA wanted the Lakers to win that year. However, just because I thought this, it does not mean that this is what is actually happening. I just made a choice not to watch anymore because I did not trust it.

I would stop watching the NFL if I thought the same.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did. I said I stopped watching because I thought the NBA wanted the Lakers to win that year. However, just because I thought this, it does not mean that this is what is actually happening. I just made a choice not to watch anymore because I

I would stop watching the NFL if I thought the same.

I don't think the NFL is rigged. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When someone thinks the whole thing is rigged, that means they think it is for 1 team to win it all. I have never thought that, for some reason, some in here think altered and rigged are the same thing. They aren't.

Agreed. That would require a huge amount of coordination without anyone talking. I think people use the straw man of “they think it’s rigged” as a way of deflecting away from the real possibility that calls had been made to influence a particular outcome.

Interestingly, we could today with the assistance of AI go back and see how many games have had their over/under, spread, etc. impacted by a call in the last minutes of the game. The data is all there.

• Like 1

As more and more fans are realizing games are  rigged. But the refs only do their part and do as told by league officials. Employing refs full time won't change anything one bit. They have a job and do it as instructed OR else they will be fired and replaced.  Check out what former NBA ref Donnelly said and authors

Brian Tougy and others....even former NFL players. They don't get publicity because the networks are in bed with the sports leagues and aren't going to kill the golden goose(integrity of the sport) and cost themselves Billions of dollars.  

Just one play says it all. The very first play the Bills had after the heart attack and near death of player Demar Hamlin was ex-colt Hines running a kickoff for a TD! The very first play....he later ran another one back too. 

QB Josh Allen said something about God describing the play  as did Indy local shock jock Dan Dakich.....Some would rather beleive Divine Intervention instead of game rigging. :funny:

At the end its only Entertainment, like tv shows and movies and wrestling and should be enjoyed as such and not taken too seriously.... UNLESS you have like a good size bet on like a 4 Team Parlay riding on a refs pass interference call.....then you can take it serious. haha

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

As more and more fans are realizing games are  rigged. But the refs only do their part and do as told by league officials. Employing refs full time won't change anything one bit. They have a job and do it as instructed OR else they will be fired and replaced.  Check out what former NBA ref Donnelly said and authors

Brian Tougy and others....even former NFL players. They don't get publicity because the networks are in bed with the sports leagues and aren't going to kill the golden goose(integrity of the sport) and cost themselves Billions of dollars.  

Just one play says it all. The very first play the Bills had after the heart attack and near death of player Demar Hamlin was ex-colt Hines running a kickoff for a TD! The very first play....he later ran another one back too. 

QB Josh Allen said something about God describing the play  as did Indy local shock jock Dan Dakich.....Some would rather beleive Divine Intervention instead of game rigging. :funny:

At the end its only Entertainment, like tv shows and movies and wrestling and should be enjoyed as such and not taken too seriously.... UNLESS you have like a good size bet on like a 4 Team Parlay riding on a refs pass interference call.....then you can take it serious. haha

Love your last part where it starts - UNLESS haha . Yeah, I am not even upset we lost today. After last week, I am done getting upset, that was the straw the broke the camel's back for me. I am already over losing today, it only took me a few hours this week. Don't get me wrong, I still want us to win and will get upset if we lose but I will get over it quick now.

• Thanks 1