Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

So what was the point of all this drama and negative PR FOR BOTH parties for 4 months? The Colts and especially Ballard look like amateurs who don't know how to do their business right now. 

Only to you. You’re making a bunch of baseless claims with no clue to the whole story. One that we will likely NEVER know. 

End result is this, colts are satisfied, JT is satisfied. Nuff said

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stitches said:

BTW... that press-conference yesterday... WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?! It's even weirder now than it was yesterday. Why would you give those answers if him and the team were on the final stretch of a contract extension? Did this come about... like literally today? Did Ballard just decide to give him contract today(or yesterday after he talked???!?!?)?

Could be that's what started the discussions again with how standoffish JT was to avoid anymore distractions.

Just now, CR91 said:

Could be that's what started the discussions again with how standoffish JT was to avoid anymore distractions.

It’s also possible that they’ve been in negotiations all along and JT didn’t want to risk it falling apart over a slip in an unneeded presser

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Only to you. You’re making a bunch of baseless claims with no clue to the whole story. One that we will likely NEVER know. 

End result is this, colts are satisfied, JT is satisfied. Nuff said

Yep like I said before we’ll never know what we don’t know and in this case I have a feeling there is a lot we don’t know.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's actually closer to $70-$86m next year before JTs contract.

Spotrac  have the salary cap projected at $240m

Over the Cap has it at $256m

Ty, thought you were our money guy. Wasn't 100% 

I forgot Blackmon needs resigned, may need him the way Thomas is playing. But he has alot of injury concerns. Not like Campbell but more than JT.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep like I said before we’ll never know what we don’t know and in this case I have a feeling there is a lot we don’t know.

Like I said in the other thread, there’s 3 sides to each and every story. In this case, JTs side, Colts Side and somewhere in the middle, is the actually truth. It’s this case in every single story, simply due to human perception 

Just now, BProland85 said:

If the Colts need the cap space in now looking to extend Pittman I could see them cutting or trading Leonard in the offseason as he doesn’t seem like he’ll ever be his former self. I hope I’m wrong of course. 

I think ol Shaq is out of here this off-season 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Like I said in the other thread, there’s 3 sides to each and every story. In this case, JTs side, Colts Side and somewhere in the middle, is the actually truth. It’s this case in every single story, simply due to human perception 

In this case there is a fourth side, the side of talking heads and speculators who are filling time talking about stuff and probably making assumptions and speculating to fill in the gaps they don’t know which presents a whole different narrative that’s probably no where near the truth but if the other side three sides aren’t talking as in this case it becomes the accepted truth.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

In this case there is a fourth side, the side of talking heads and speculators who are filling time talking about stuff and probably making assumptions and speculating to fill in the gaps they don’t know which presents a whole different narrative that’s probably no where near the truth but if the other side three sides aren’t talking as in this case it becomes the accepted truth.

Fair enough . Either way, I’m glad it’s over. A bit more guaranteed than I’d like to have seen but the yearly average is lower than I expected. So decent deal, I’d like to see the overal breakdown to see where their out year is, I’m guessing after year 2. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Grumpy Cat Annoyed Face GIF

Too soon lol

Someone was gonna say it haha

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If the Colts need the cap space in now looking to extend Pittman I could see them cutting or trading Leonard in the offseason as he doesn’t seem like he’ll ever be his former self. I hope I’m wrong of course. 

Depending on what they do with guys like Grover and Moore they should have money to pay Pittman without doing anything with Shaq but if Shaq’s play doesn’t improve (and I am one who still thinks he’s working his way back) he could be released rather they NEED the money or not.

Just now, Superman said:

Stop trolling.

Yeah that’s not trolling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was looking for some old tweets about this situation yesterday, and came across a couple of highlight reels. I have to admit that I had the same thought. JT is one of the most dynamic RBs in the league. Moss seems reliable and productive, but he's nothing special as an athlete. Those 8, 10, 15 yard gains he's been getting could be TDs with Taylor's speed (assuming he still has it). 

And they've seen what it looks like with Richardson, Steichen's offense will work, he absolutely intends to use RBs every week despite Richardson being a dual threat QB, etc. 

So they compromised. And now the drama is over. Until the next thing happens...

This looks AI generated.

I was thinking the same...maybe this whole signing is AI generated.

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, really merging this one there would of been the perfect way to wrap it up.

Full circle.

I don't mind a merge, just feels like a fresh thread would allow everyone to catch up more easily. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s not trolling.

It's absolutely trolling.

• Like 2

Colts also need to start making plans for Ryan Kelly eventually retiring in next couple years. Maybe it ends up being Pinter as the center when Kelly retires. But Pinter is a FA after the season so we will see if they bring him back. 

Also in the next 2 years Dayo and paye. Then add Rainmann after the 24 season. That cap space will go pretty fast.

I like this deal,  3 years looks like a good compromise for both sides.  4 years + would be a lot for any RB but giving one of the best in the league 3 is fine imo.

They have been using read option  already, that could be a great weapon going forward now.  They may need to work on snaps, hand offs and fake hand offs

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts also need to start making plans for Ryan Kelly eventually retiring in next couple years. Maybe it ends up being Pinter as the center when Kelly retires. But Pinter is a FA after the season so we will see if they bring him back. 

Also in the next 2 years Dayo and paye. Then add Rainmann after the 24 season. That cap space will go pretty fast.

I think Pinter walks when his contract is up.  Buckner’s contract is also coming due soon.  Life of a NFL GM balancing the salary cap.

5 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Ty, thought you were our money guy.

Got a few of them around here. Superman mainly, few others but some just lurk and chime in occasionally.

Thinking about starting another thread for 2024 cap outlook/options like the one I had last year.

Starting to get some more chatter in random threads about it recently. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't mind a merge, just feels like a fresh thread would allow everyone to catch up more easily.

Nah, it's good.

I thought about a Merge when the thread first opened and had a few post. Decided against it, for the reasons you listed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Pinter walks when his contract is up.  Buckner’s contract is also coming due soon.  Life of a NFL GM balancing the salary cap.

Buckner is one of those guys that’s going to be as hard to replace as a QB. You need a very high draft pick.  Hopefully they can keep Buckner here the rest of his career.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Buckner is one of those guys that’s going to be as hard to replace as a QB. You need a very high draft pick.  Hopefully they can keep Buckner here the rest of his career.

Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood as type this, baring a career ending injury, I don’t see a way the Colts let Buckner out of Indianapolis.  He’s the guy that makes everything go on defense.  You are right he is the equivalent of the QB value for the defense in terms of what he means to the unit.

40 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is the weirdest thing ever. Why did we go through all this nonsense, if you are going to reward him for the stuff he pulled before he's even proven he's healthy and back to his top form? What does that tell every other player you refuse to give contract at the exact moment they decide they need it and at the exact terms they decide they want? It tells them - sit out, fake injury, miss games while being paid for them... and Ballard will pay you. 

I don't get the timing and the number and ... anything of this really. 

Ballard just took a big smelly dump on everything he's said this off-season. He wanted to see him healthy, he wanted to see him play for the new coach and system, he didn't want to reward anyone after 4 wins season. Scratch all of this... we just went through 4 months of nonsense for him to just give him the contract he could have given him in April.

Here's what I think. I don't agree at all with the extension. It smells like Leonard and Nelson all over again.  Signing players to an extension when u didn't have to. Taylor won  this battle. He sat out and took a chance that the Colts would miss him, which I think they did. Who knows, with him in the line up, they could be 5 and 0. I think this move is more to protect Richardson. Getting hurt in back to back games,, I believe, scared the hell out of the Colts. If they have a solid run game, it will open up the passing game. I do think Ballard was feeling some  heat. They are 2 and 2 and Titans coming to town. They haven't won a home game in 7 tries and thr Titans own  them. I am not sure Ballard survives if this team is picking high in the draft again. So when everyone, including me, said Taylor had no leverage, we were wrong. Taylor is brilliant and he may have mapped this all out in his head. Good for him and he got what he wanted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Here's what I think. I don't agree at all with the extension. It smells like Leonard and Nelson all over again.  Signing players to an extension when u didn't have to. Taylor won  this battle. He sat out and took a chance that the Colts would miss him, which I think they did. Who knows, with him in the line up, they could be 5 and 0. I think this move is more to protect Richardson. Getting hurt in back to back games,, I believe, scared the hell out of the Colts. If they have a solid run game, it will open up the passing game. I do think Ballard was feeling some  heat. They are 2 and 2 and Titans coming to town. They haven't won a home game in 7 tries and thr Titans own  them. I am not sure Ballard survives if this team is picking high in the draft again. So when everyone, including me, said Taylor had no leverage, we were wrong. Taylor is brilliant and he may have mapped this all out in his head. Good for him and he got what he wanted.

Give me a few beers to understand what you just said 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

So what was the point of all this drama and negative PR FOR BOTH parties for 4 months? The Colts and especially Ballard look like amateurs who don't know how to do their business right now. 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW... that press-conference yesterday... WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?! It's even weirder now than it was yesterday. Why would you give those answers if him and the team were on the final stretch of a contract extension? Did this come about... like literally today? Did Ballard just decide to give him contract today(or yesterday after he talked???!?!?)?

I wish we could be okay with two parties changing their minds and meeting in the middle. 

JT has essentially been refusing to participate with the team on the field. He requested a trade, and his agent all but said he was out the door. This week, he came in, apparently passed a physical, practiced with the team, and talked to the media (even though that presser was a farce). 

The Colts have been telling us that the team wanted to keep JT, but they weren't ready to agree to an extension. Maybe during the season, but we want to see how things go with the new coach and QB, and determine how JT would fit. Once JT came in and gave a little, the Colts moved up their timeline somewhat.

And now, with both sides making some concessions, they have what both sides wanted all along -- a new contract, and JT on the field. He exercised his leverage, which wasn't much, and he was pretty much out of rope. The Colts could have continued to extract every ounce out of him, but they wanted to get this over with. And now, apparently, it is. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

How is that trolling? Honest question?

Two main ways.

Twisting a person's stance to nag at them, and doing it to multiple people. It's attempting to provoke a response through disingenuous comments, which is Troll 101.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yep Colts had to live through something we haven’t seen a long time.  A contract dispute.  The last one I remember was when Goose was here but I am probably missing someone.

Edgerrin held out when he was drafted

• Like 1

With all my objections about how the Colts handled this, I'm glad that it's over. I wish we could have avoided all the drama.

I hope JT is healthy and stays healthy for his career and plays well for the team. I think our running game has the potetial to be truly dynamic with him and AR. My hope is that Ballard will not sacrifice the pass catching weapons and will keep looking for and investing in high end talent at WR and TE. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1