Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay usually takes care of his players. 

Not necessarily with running backs.  He let Faulk & Edge go.  Don’t get me wrong, I think Taylor has earned a big contract extension . But it’s just not likely.  Teams that give RBs a big second contract might win some, might make the playoffs, but they don’t win SBs.  It sucks, it’s not really fair, but it just seems to work out that way.  

This Taylor situation is a big reason why I don’t support buying player jerseys. I much prefer buying a jersey with your own name or “Colts” on the nameplate etc…

I’m not sure there is much Taylor can do for me publicly that will make me change my mind about him. I hate players who don’t honor their contract…and I especially hate players who publicly express it. If you’ve got a beef keep it private. I’d rather not see Taylor on the team anymore myself. Loved him up until all this. These players demand too much…they contribute to the astronomical cost that sometimes prices us average fans right out of the game. The cost to attend an NFL game compared to the average median household salary is so far beyond different spectrums compared to 15-20 years ago.

I’ve had NFL Sunday ticket for many years under the “student” pricing DirecTV offered but this is the first year in like 10 years I won’t have it because I refuse to pay YouTUBE’s ridiculous price. This year I just opted for the $79.99 yearly NFL + premium and will watch the games after it’s over. 

That sucks for me because I won’t be able to chat and post on the boards in here 90% of the time while the game is on…but that’s good for 90% of the folks on this board who don’t want me around anyway haha 

and it’s all because of TAYLOR! No not really, but you know what I’m sayin.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gspdx said:

Well, it's a business and Leonard is under contract.   If they feel he still has value it shouldn't matter. If they get all butt hurt by this agent's antics for JT and take it out on Leonard I would be surprised. 

I'm not talking about taking it out on Leonard. I'm talking about working relationship that can get poisoned and if you are on the fence with the value of some contract just choosing not to have to deal with the baggage that comes with it.

8 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Dalvin Cook and Elliot signed today with AFC East teams. Hunt is still out there. With Cook and Zeke no longer available, does that make the Colts more likely to give JT what he wants?

To me, it looks like teams weren't signing free agent RBs because they were waiting to see if Cook could still be hired. As soon as Cook's camp had come to a decision, Patriots signed Zeke.. it's not coincidence these events happened all at once.

Now Miami and other teams would scoop up the remaining top RBs in free agency 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

Not necessarily with running backs.  He let Faulk & Edge go.  Don’t get me wrong, I think Taylor has earned a big contract extension . But it’s just not likely.  Teams that give RBs a big second contract might win some, might make the playoffs, but they don’t win SBs.  It sucks, it’s not really fair, but it just seems to work out that way.  

Edge was there 7 years. 

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

To me, it looks like teams weren't signing free agent RBs because they were waiting to see if Cook could still be hired. As soon as Cook's camp had come to a decision, Patriots signed Zeke.. it's not coincidence these events happened all at once.

Now Miami and other teams would scoop up the remaining top RBs in free agency 

I think Cook's signing pretty much showed JT there just isn't a market for what he wants. If JT fakes injury all year it'll be even worse for him when his contract here expires.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think Cook's signing pretty much showed JT there just isn't a market for what he wants. If JT fakes injury all year it'll be even worse for him when his contract here expires.

I think JT just had his eyes opened. His committee of RBs that supposedly were all gonna sit out together and get big salary bumps just pretty much left him carrying the full weight by himself. This drama ends sooner than later now

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think JT just had his eyes opened. His committee of RBs that supposedly were all gonna sit out together and get big salary bumps just pretty much left him carrying the full weight by himself. This drama ends sooner than later now

Saying Goodbye Will Smith GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Despite it all and the fact that this could've been handled much better by JT and his agent, I actually feel pretty bad for JT.

He has been the engine to our offense and one of the only bright spots the last few years. No one can deny the impact he has on our team and how good he is. It's a damn shame the market for RB's is what it is, but here we are. 

I for one hope that not all of the bridges were totally burned and the Colts and he can all come to a common ground and get him back playing and happy (or as happy as he can be with the situation) again. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, he's alone on that hill right now. I guess at some point everyone has to admit money is money no matter what your profession is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree with this. All of these RBs are basically crossing the picket line to come back to work now. The only other notable holdout RB outside of JT is Josh Jacobs, who basically has a guaranteed ~10 million from the franchise tag. He's probably trying to work a 1 year deal similar to what Barkley did. Hopefully these guys take a look at the Le'Veon Bell situation and learn from it. 

I want JT to get paid but he didn't read the room too well, I feel for him. He was far too verbal in April about playing out his contract then did a 180 which did him no favors in public view. 

Best he can do is come out this year and ball out to earn his money next year with the Colts or someone else. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah, he's alone on that hill right now. I guess at some point everyone has to admit money is money no matter what your profession is.

I know it's all relative, but I would not be turning my nose up at like $8m a year. That would set me up for life.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Dalvin Cook is in 7th year and was looking for his third contract, that doesn't necessarily relate to JT's contract situation about his worth.

We actually don't know what JT wants. Some random troll tweeted that JT wants 16-20 million and that has become the central point of talk in this thread unfortunately, and the way JT handled the talks didn't help, even though a player requesting an extension and holding out from training camp is not out of the line in the business of NFL contracts.

I agree JT's market worth is not very high, but he could easily command closer to 10 million APY, considering his age and only 3 years of NFL experience.

He needs to prove his health first, and that's where I think his timing of holding out went wrong, IMO. But, considering the rumor that team might have played him through niggles last year, I could see he might've been unhappy with the current situation of his health and rehab.

Anyway, I think he'll have to play this year to prove he's healthy and to get to be a free agent next year if Colts do not want to meet his demands. It will work itself out eventually, but this thread has derailed so much without credible information of what actually happened between both parties. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I know it's all relative, but I would not be turning my nose up at like $8m a year. That would set me up for life.....

Yes, but you also wouldn't have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to take care of the beating your body took after the career ended close to 30 years of age, not to mention the mental health troubles the game could cause throughout the lifetime if there's been some brain damage. 

There's a reason athletes need to take care of their earnings in their heyday, and their money situation isn't the same as the common man's problems, though athletes could make use of their worth to turn to better career opportunities after NFL, if they handle it well, which is something a common man can't hope for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

This "committee of RBs colliding with a plan" and their "conference call" have been overstated here.

Barkley was in that conference call, yet he signed few days after that call to sign with Giants, relenting from his demands for his team.

So, I don't think that conference call really made these RBs, especially JT, proceed one way or another. 

JT just held out of the camps and still seems to have some injury question lingering around him, other than that what he's done isn't unreasonable.

JT's agent made a mess of the situation by trolling in social media, which was really out of line and damaged the reputation of his client. Didn't help the situation too.

Otherwise, that conference call between RBs was something I'm glad they did to support each other and to understand the changing RB market in today's NFL. I think these pros understand the situation better than what this forum credits them. 

• Like 2

IMHO if Taylor wants to save face he needs to fire his agent and talk how his agent gave him really bad advice and he was trying to take a stand for the position he plays. Basically throw him under the bus. If he sticks with the clown and holds out into the regular season he will go the route of Bell who has came out and talked about how much he's regret the way thing went down. I still can't say I have ever seen a player fall out of grace so quickly with a fan base that wasn't attached to a legal issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, but you also wouldn't have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to take care of the beating your body took after the career ended close to 30 years of age, not to mention the mental health troubles the game could cause throughout the lifetime if there's been some brain damage. 

There's a reason athletes need to take care of their earnings in their heyday, and their money situation isn't the same as the common man's problems, though athletes could make use of their worth to turn to better career opportunities after NFL, if they handle it well, which is something a common man can't hope for. 

$8m in 1 year is more than enough to last you your entire lifetime, and your kids' too. Just live within your means. You dont have to go and by a $4m mansion or 5 Ferrari's etc.

Nevermind whatever he will have made over the course of his entire career when he retires around early 30s...... And hundres of thousands of dollars to take care of the beating you body took is chump change when youve made like $40m in your 8 years of working.

Give me $40m over 10 years or so and watch me never work a day in my life again after being 30 years old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

IMHO if Taylor wants to save face he needs to fire his agent and talk how his agent gave him really bad advice and he was trying to take a stand for the position he plays. Basically throw him under the bus. If he sticks with the clown and holds out into the regular season he will go the route of Bell who has came out and talked about how much he's regret the way thing went down. I still can't say I have ever seen a player fall out of grace so quickly with a fan base that wasn't attached to a legal issue.

He is probably going to end up losing a few million. All he has to do is play and colts will take care of him. These backs are going to make more money on the franchise tag then trying to get a extension.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is probably going to end up losing a few million. All he has to do is play and colts will take care of him. These backs are going to make more money on the franchise tag then trying to get a extension.

One of the funniest things to me is if he would have just kept his head down and played he would have ended up being the highest paid RB because that's what this organization does. Ballard has preached several times about paying their own. Such a bad play by them.

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is the crux of the problem for NFL RBs though. This only works if you continue to stay healthy year after year... but the RB position is the position that doesnt stay healthy year after year (unless you are a freak like Derrek Henry - who lets face it, is a unicorn).

They want multi year extensions with some guaranteed money because of the risk of their position, and teams understandably dont want to pay them that because of that risk.... its a sticky situation that i can see from both sides, buts its definitely not fair on the RBs.

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

One of the funniest things to me is if he would have just kept his head down and played he would have ended up being the highest paid RB because that's what this organization does. Ballard has preached several times about paying their own. Such a bad play by them.

He got impatient it sounds like. Probably money problems 

11 minutes ago, twfish said:

I think RBs thought they could have a moment this offseason. The problem is they have no leverage, and they couldn't stay together. Maybe if JT had another good season, and we had a HC on the hot seat, he could have gotten what he wanted. But then he would have been breaking ranks with his fellow RBs, undermining their cause. 

When Barkley signed a slightly juiced up deal and showed up to camp, that was the first domino to fall. Then Tony Pollard showed up. Now Cook and Zeke are off the market. Now it's just Jacobs (who isn't being fined because he didn't sign the tag), and JT (who isn't even really holding out). And apparently, Jacobs wanted $12m/year, and the Raiders wouldn't even do that.

There's been a major market correction almost overnight, and while it wasn't hard to see it coming, it happened pretty quickly. And it just so happened that JT is caught in the middle, plus coming off a bad/injured season, which is too bad for him, but that's how business goes.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, twfish said:

And trying to embarrass the owner of the team that's most likely to pay you was another really smart move by JT and his agent. 

A week before camp Irsay goes on the most viewed sports show in the US and says JT is all healed up and ready to go... and what happens a week later when camp starts - not only does JT doesn't show up early for his medicals, but comes late and says he's still injured and recovering 6 months after surgery that takes 1 month to recover from usually. And now he wants to either be paid or traded... you know... the type of ultimatums that injured players usually have a lot of leverage to make. And then your agent starts liking tweets suggesting you should get traded and taking shots at the team's owner. 

I honestly have no idea if there was a way for them to play it any worse. And I'm not absolving Taylor here. He hired this guy to do the dirty work around the contract negotiations. I wonder if all will be forgotten if JT returns and has a great season for the Colts? Because Ballard actually said they are willing to negotiate during the season after they see how things are going with the new coach and QB. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I don't want to start an arguement here and if you want to continue discussing it feel free to PM me, but this highlighted part is baloney...

HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of jobs have these risks and get paid f-all for it. They don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to take care of their bodies when they are done working at 30... These people will have to keep working well into to their 60s or 70s.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I don't want to start an arguement here and if you want to continue discussing it feel free to PM me, but this highlighted part is baloney...

HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of jobs have these risks and get paid f-all for it. They don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to take care of their bodies when they are done working at 30... These people will have to keep working well into to their 60s or 70s.

No joke. Or the pounding our troops go thru for less than 30k per year and a broken VA system that won’t take care of them adequately. But yeah, I’m not gonna go deeper than that

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Let 'em be salty. If Jordan Love ends up being good then they'll say the same about Green Bay being spoiled. Hell look at how many years Pittsburgh has been successful. 

And we suffered really crappy seasons when the franchise first moved to Indy. 1993 still gives me the heebee jeebies... 

Dont forget the 2011 season before we got Luck. That season was the definition of pain as a fan.

2 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Dont forget the 2011 season before we got Luck. That season was the definition of pain as a fan.

Ah yes. The time we all watched together as Kerry Collins got massacred on live television not once, nor twice, but three friggin' times against the Texans, and the Browns, and then the Steelers... 

And then... Goldilocks came along... 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

No joke. Or the pounding our troops go thru for less than 30k per year and a broken VA system that won’t take care of them adequately. But yeah, I’m not gonna go deeper than that

True.. I acknowledged smart athletes have more ways to make money after NFL career.

In the end, we will cry over 8 or 10 million paid to RB while not blinking an eyelid for 20+ million paid to non-elite WR... If that helps team find the wins most often, that's cool but I don't think that would be the case.

Colts need so many more pieces to come together as it stands, and 10 million to RB doesn't even come close to break the bank especially with a rookie QB if the roster overall is constructed better... 

40 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

True.. I acknowledged smart athletes have more ways to make money after NFL career.

In the end, we will cry over 8 or 10 million paid to RB while not blinking an eyelid for 20+ million paid to non-elite WR... If that helps team find the wins most often, that's cool but I don't think that would be the case.

Colts need so many more pieces to come together as it stands, and 10 million to RB doesn't even come close to break the bank especially with a rookie QB if the roster overall is constructed better... 

If we overpay for a RB, there won't be money for those other pieces to come together.

If you overpay for too many of the less important positions, then there won't be money for the important ones (like extending Richardson should he be successful).

There is a value placed on each position based on how important it is to winning and to a lesser extent how much supply there is compared to demand, neither of which favor overpaying for Taylor.    

As a Colts fan, I definitely do not want them putting their money into the wrong positions.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

And trying to embarrass the owner of the team that's most likely to pay you was another really smart move by JT and his agent. 

A week before camp Irsay goes on the most viewed sports show in the US and says JT is all healed up and ready to go... and what happens a week later when camp starts - not only does JT doesn't show up early for his medicals, but comes late and says he's still injured and recovering 6 months after surgery that takes 1 month to recover from usually. And now he wants to either be paid or traded... you know... the type of ultimatums that injured players usually have a lot of leverage to make. And then your agent starts liking tweets suggesting you should get traded and taking shots at the team's owner. 

I honestly have no idea if there was a way for them to play it any worse. And I'm not absolving Taylor here. He hired this guy to do the dirty work around the contract negotiations. I wonder if all will be forgotten if JT returns and has a great season for the Colts? Because Ballard actually said they are willing to negotiate during the season after they see how things are going with the new coach and QB. 

Just to add in the short term memory he and his agent have. Last year Kenny held out and was wanting a big pay day and got absolutely nothing out of it. Irsay and Ballard are NOT ones to play hard ball with. Don't bite the hand that feeds and they will be lucky if they don't cause an infection from that bite. I mean holy crap as an agent why would you be starting stuff with 1 of 32 owners who you have to negotiate with. Honestly I feel like I would have been a better agent then that bafoon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think RBs thought they could have a moment this offseason. The problem is they have no leverage, and they couldn't stay together. Maybe if JT had another good season, and we had a HC on the hot seat, he could have gotten what he wanted. But then he would have been breaking ranks with his fellow RBs, undermining their cause. 

When Barkley signed a slightly juiced up deal and showed up to camp, that was the first domino to fall. Then Tony Pollard showed up. Now Cook and Zeke are off the market. Now it's just Jacobs (who isn't being fined because he didn't sign the tag), and JT (who isn't even really holding out). And apparently, Jacobs wanted $12m/year, and the Raiders wouldn't even do that.

There's been a major market correction almost overnight, and while it wasn't hard to see it coming, it happened pretty quickly. And it just so happened that JT is caught in the middle, plus coming off a bad/injured season, which is too bad for him, but that's how business goes.

You would think as all of these dominos fall he will be back with the team soon without any deal. I don't disagree they are underpaid and Gurley really hurt the position for getting compensated through no fault of his own. I don't know the best way to fix the RB situation, I don't think bigger initial salaries or hitting free agency are the correct path. Maybe the possibility of the rookie deal having incentives based off of yardage and catches maybe?

43 minutes ago, twfish said:

You would think as all of these dominos fall he will be back with the team soon without any deal. I don't disagree they are underpaid and Gurley really hurt the position for getting compensated through no fault of his own. I don't know the best way to fix the RB situation, I don't think bigger initial salaries or hitting free agency are the correct path. Maybe the possibility of the rookie deal having incentives based off of yardage and catches maybe?

Coincidentally, players on rookie contracts can earn performance based bonuses, but I think that program was suspended for the 2021 season due to reduced revenue in 2020. So JT's biggest year would have probably earned him an extra $800k-1m, and he missed out.

Performance incentives during rookie contracts is an interesting concept. It would probably be messy and complicated, but not impossible. Just doubt that the NFLPA would agree to a carveout like that specifically for one position, or statistical category.

I take technical exception to the idea that RBs are underpaid. I think the market has spoken. RB pay and draft status has been trending down for more than a decade. There's been a drastic market inefficiency for a long time, and now teams have started responding strategically. I think the Gurley situation might have been a wake up call, especially since the Rams were able to win a SB pretty quickly without him. But this has been coming for a long time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

If we overpay for a RB, there won't be money for those other pieces to come together.

If you overpay for too many of the less important positions, then there won't be money for the important ones (like extending Richardson should he be successful).

There is a value placed on each position based on how important it is to winning and to a lesser extent how much supply there is compared to demand, neither of which favor overpaying for Taylor.    

As a Colts fan, I definitely do not want them putting their money into the wrong positions.

If you've rookie QB and if you cannot pay near elite RB 10-12 million (that's not even over paying), then imagine when the QB needs to be paid 45+ million in a year?

When Richardson is going to be paid, JT's time with the drafted team would be coming to an end, just like how Cook is on his second team by 7th year, so in Colts' situation it could be easily managed.

I think Colts will do similar approach next off-season. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If you've rookie QB and if you cannot pay near elite RB 10-12 million (that's not even over paying), then imagine when the QB needs to be paid 45+ million in a year?

When Richardson is going to be paid, JT's time with the drafted team would be coming to an end, just like how Cook is on his second team by 7th year, so in Colts' situation it could be easily managed.

I think Colts will do similar approach next off-season. 

If JT was only wanting 10, then i don't think there would be an issue.  

That is why I didn't saying paying, I said overpaying.

And yes, if you keep overpaying based on positional value, then it's going to bite you in the *** later.

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

unfortunately some positions, the market has a premium on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

for the record, JTs wanting 16-20 million plus. I started following his agent a few weeks back, any posts that say pay the man a minimum of 16/yr, JT’s agent is liking and retweeting. While circumstantial, it kind of confirms the desired range. 

I’ve said all along 13 mill average, 2-3 years tops, heavily front loaded and 50 percent guaranteed would be my best offer

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

for the record, JTs wanting 16-20 million plus. I started following his agent a few weeks back, any posts that say pay the man a minimum of 16/yr, JT’s agent is liking and retweeting. While circumstantial, it kind of confirms the desired range. 

I’ve said all along 13 mill average, 2-3 years tops, heavily front loaded and 50 percent guaranteed would be my best offer

The $13 mill average tracks for a three year deal, but the guarantees are where it gets sticky. Any three year deal needs to take into account what the franchise tag numbers would look like over that same span. If we use this year's tag (~$10 million) and the franchise tag numbers if the Colts tagged him two more times (~$12 million and ~$17 million), then we are at the $13 mill yearly average. If tagged, all of this salary would be guaranteed. Now, JT is getting more stability with an actual contract, but there's no way the guarantee can drop below $22 mill (first two tag years), and I think it would need to push beyond that to account for some of the guarantees for a hypothetical third tag year. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:28 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Look at the Eagles and what they did with their rb position this year. Invest the money in other positions. I am hoping guys like Paye and Pearce develop so we r left with a problem with having to pay a skill player big money for once. 

The Eagles didn’t have JT……he’s different