Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

KC apparently just changed the Mohomes contract and gave him more money.   Teams recognize players who are not compensated to their level of impact....and do it quite often.

At page 164, I'll repeat what I said before. 

I think JT has shown enough of being a TD maker than he deserves some level of guaranteed money.   I don't know what that level is, but the Colts not recognizing that back in July ...and simply having him play out the contract and at least not OFFERING to guarantee the rather paltry $4.3M this season.....looks chinsy to me.

I don't know if JT would have settled for that back in July....before the NFLPA meeting, but the Colts not ever offering something comes off as trying to make a player risk his future career in order to avoid paying him $4.3M if something happens.  The same team who never thought not to pay Luck $125M when he walked away from them. 

BTW, Brock Purdy makes something like $667K, which is a joke.  SF thinks so highly of Purdy that they let go of his two competitors...Lance and JG.   I assume SF will OFFER to correct Purdy's compensation at some point this season.

Purdy is on the second year of a 4-year rookie contract.   I don’t think the 49ers can re-work that contract until after the first 3 years.   Purdy is married to his rookie deal until then.   I’m sure the 49ers will modify the deal as soon as they legally can which I believe is 2025. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Interesting that both Chubb and Barkley are injured now.

Its why JT wants the money and at the same time the reason why we shouldnt give it to him.  NFl rbs have a weird life

The ironic part is it gives credence to both sides of the debate 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

The ironic part is it gives credence to both sides of the debate 

I think one possible solution is the NFL sets up an injury fund that all players contribute to and players who have earned a lifetime dollar amount less than X are able to draw from for a specified amount of time in the event of an injury.

This provides some security for players on rookie deals while not putting it all on the owners to pay a risky contract.

1 hour ago, bluebombers87 said:

I think one possible solution is the NFL sets up an injury fund that all players contribute to and players who have earned a lifetime dollar amount less than X are able to draw from for a specified amount of time in the event of an injury.

This provides some security for players on rookie deals while not putting it all on the owners to pay a risky contract.

I thought I saw in the CBA that this is already in place?

• Like 2

I am almost starting to think after the injuries to Barkley, Dobbins, and perhaps a career ender to Chubb, Taylor may go for a contract where most of it is guaranteed. 

Something like 3 years for 33 million which is just 11 Mill a year but give him 25 million guaranteed. If he gets 25 million that should give him a piece of mind in case he gets injured. I have no idea how he feels but the guy does love football and he has to be thinking how great he and AR would be together. If I was a RB, I would love to play with AR. That running game would be unstoppable.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am almost starting to think after the injuries to Barkley, Dobbins, and perhaps a career ender to Chubb, Taylor may go for a contract where most of it is guaranteed. 

Something like 3 years for 33 million which is just 11 Mill a year but give him 25 million guaranteed. If he gets 25 million that should give him a piece of mind in case he gets injured. I have no idea how he feels but the guy does love football and he has to be thinking how great he and AR would be together. If I was a RB, I would love to play with AR. That running game would be unstoppable.

He agent has posted he wants fully or mostly guaranteed 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have posted many what i would does on this subject.

Here is my suggestion.

He finds someone willing to give him $14M fully guaranteed for the first 2 years, with reasonable incentives that gets him near $20M.

I would believe it won't be our Colts.

On 9/19/2023 at 10:36 AM, GoColts8818 said:

Remember when Lamar Jackson asked to be traded by the Ravens and didn’t want to be there anymore?  A new contract can fix those things overnight.  I am not saying the Colts should alter their plans and pay Taylor now, I think they should stick to their plans, but if they get to the point they want to extend Taylor all those hurt feelings might go away.

I think you maybe right. Something has changed JT IMO though. I don't think he wants to be in Indy anymore. I hope both sides can make something happen and both be happy.

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You have posted many what i would does on this subject.

Here is my suggestion.

He finds someone willing to give him $14M fully guaranteed for the first 2 years, with reasonable incentives that gets him near $20M.

I would believe it won't be our Colts.

I just throw things out there for suggestion, really for fun trying to play GM. Every scenario I posted probably won't happen, but it is still fun to speculate. 

On 9/20/2023 at 10:27 AM, csmopar said:

I thought I saw in the CBA that this is already in place?

Do you have specifics on that? The only thing I’m seeing is just a vague description on expanding healthcare for current and former players.

I hope they do as there have been too many instances of players coming out of the league injured with little to fall back on.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090296-jonathan-taylor-trade-rumors-colts-would-settle-for-bit-less-than-1st-round-pick

Rumor: Colts 'Would Settle' for 'Bit Less' Than 1st-round Pick

...Per ESPN's Stephen Holder, the Colts would "settle for something a bit less" than a first-round pick for the star running back:

"If Taylor is moved, here's what matters: The Colts want real value from any potential trade. It's why no deal got done in August. They asked for a package of picks amounting to a first-round pick, but the reality is they'd settle for something a bit less. They seem determined to not just give him away and will play hardball, if necessary. Another complicating factor: A team that trades for Taylor will have to weigh whether to sign him to a new deal."...

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090296-jonathan-taylor-trade-rumors-colts-would-settle-for-bit-less-than-1st-round-pick

...Per ESPN's Stephen Holder, the Colts would "settle for something a bit less" than a first-round pick for the star running back:

"If Taylor is moved, here's what matters: The Colts want real value from any potential trade. It's why no deal got done in August. They asked for a package of picks amounting to a first-round pick, but the reality is they'd settle for something a bit less. They seem determined to not just give him away and will play hardball, if necessary. Another complicating factor: A team that trades for Taylor will have to weigh whether to sign him to a new deal."...

If I was the GM of the Colts, I still would not trade him unless I get a 1st round pick. That is the only way it would happen under my watch. Taylor when healthy is a top 3 RB in the league. Really only Henry but he is 29, and McCaffery have an argument to being better. Chubb is out for the year and Barkley may miss a month now. McCaffrey isn't even a better runner but his ability to run and catch gives him a nice argument to being the best.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Duh.  Because less than a first has always been his value.  

I'll ask again.  Has JT been traded for two 4th rounders yet? LOL.

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It won't happen, Ballard would never do that. 

What would be the logic in Ballard not accepting that offer?

Ballard can keep JT for 4 more months if he wants to.  Two 4ths equals the 3rd round compensation pick JT would give us when JT signs a FA contract with another team this spring.  And if that comp pick is only a 4th, accepting a 2nd 4th now would be a better deal.

And, if Ballard signs FAs this spring, the total contracts we sign may offset the comp picks we get by formula...so getting a sure-thing two 4th rounders now may be even a better deal than the nada we would get under that scenario.

It becomes moot if JT agrees to a new deal with the Colts. 

But if JT doesn't sign with the Colts but plays out his season to earn FA status, one of those above scenarios are highly likely....so getting 2 4ths now is probably Ballard's best deal. 

That's the way I would see it if I was a GM negotiating with Ballard, and wasn't going to entertain a bidding war for JT.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What would be the logic in Ballard not accepting that offer?

Ballard can keep JT for 4 more months if he wants to.  Two 4ths equals the 3rd round compensation pick JT would give us when JT signs a FA contract with another team this spring.  And if that comp pick is only a 4th, accepting a 2nd 4th now would be a better deal.

And, if Ballard signs FAs this spring, the total contracts we sign may offset the comp picks we get by formula...so getting a sure-thing two 4th rounders now may be even a better deal than the nada we would get under that scenario.

It becomes moot if JT agrees to a new deal with the Colts. 

But if JT doesn't sign with the Colts but plays out his season to earn FA status, one of those above scenarios are highly likely....so getting 2 4ths now is probably Ballard's best deal. 

That's the way I would see it if I was a GM negotiating with Ballard, and wasn't going to entertain a bidding war for JT.

2 4th's is not enough, that is JMO. Not for a caliber of a player like Taylor. Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd, that would make me think a little. 2 4th's = NAH. Maybe Ballard would do it? I doubt it because I know I wouldn't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 4th's is not enough, that is JMO. Not for a caliber of a player like Taylor. Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd, that would make me think a little. 2 4th's = NAH. Maybe Ballard would do it? I doubt it because I know I wouldn't. 

At this point though (and earlier), his value to the Colts is not based on his talent.  His value to the Colts is based upon what the Colts will get from the FA compensation pick formula that will be applied in about 4 months.

Other teams know this and have been waiting Ballard out....and know that Irsay was just gassing air about compensation.

Unless a team want JTs talents for a SB run this year, then they'd negotiate for what he brings them this season.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

At this point though (and earlier), his value to the Colts is not based on his talent.  His value to the Colts is based upon what the Colts will get from the FA compensation pick formula that will be applied in about 4 months.

Other teams know this and have been waiting Ballard out....and know that Irsay was just gassing air...

Unless a team want JTs talents for a SB run this year, then they'd negotiate for what he brings them this season.

I still think Miami looks primed to make a SB run. If they had a RB like Taylor they could win it all. They could give us a 1st round pick if they wanted to go all in? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think Miami looks primed to make a SB run. If they had a RB like Taylor they could win it all. They could give us a 1st round pick if they wanted to go all in? 

I think a team that trades for Taylor before the deadline is a team that views itself as a contender this year.  Ballard is in a great spot in that scenario.  He will get what he’s looking for.  And that’s a team to team evaluation.  There will only be two or three suitors most likely.  Still very early though.  And those teams know they are competing against each other.  Again a good situation for Ballard.  So you’re right he’s not giving him away under those circumstances.  If we trade him before the deadline we’ll be fine.  I’m still hoping he stays though.  I don’t want to lose a 24 year old playmaker.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was the GM of the Colts, I still would not trade him unless I get a 1st round pick. That is the only way it would happen under my watch. Taylor when healthy is a top 3 RB in the league. Really only Henry but he is 29, and McCaffery have an argument to being better. Chubb is out for the year and Barkley may miss a month now. McCaffrey isn't even a better runner but his ability to run and catch gives him a nice argument to being the best.

What if the entire league tells you his value is not worth a # 1 and the differences between he and the Colts are not repairable. Are you still not trading him then?

https://horseshoeheroes.com/posts/9-hypothetical-trades-colts-jonathan-taylor-dolphins-bears-ravens-01had8083tj4

From article above:

"9. Baltimore Ravens

Ravens receive: RB Johnathan Taylor, 2024 7th (Own)

Colts receive: WR Devin Duvernay, 2024 2nd (Own), 2024 5th (Own), 2025 4th (Own)

8. Arizona Cardinals

Cardinals receive: RB Johnathan Taylor

Colts receive: WR Zach Pascal, 2024 3rd (Own), 2024 3rd (Houston), 2024 5th (Own)

7. Chicago Bears

Bears receive: RB Jonathan Taylor
Colts receive: Darnell Mooney, 2024 3rd Round Pick, 2024 4th Round Pick

6. Miami Dolphins

Dolphins receive: RB Jonathan Taylor, 2024 3rd (Own)

Colts receive: WR Jaylen Waddle, RB Jeff Wilson Jr., 2024 6th (Own)

5. Buffalo Bills

See article

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bucs receive: RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts receive: WR Mike Evans

3. Kansas City Chiefs

Chiefs receive: RB Jonathan Taylor

Colts receive: WR Rashee Rice, RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire

2. Tennessee Titans

See article

1. Green Bay Packers

See article "

What trade looks realistic and would be your preference?

***DISCLAIMER - not official offers.

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

What if the entire league tells you his value is not worth a # 1 and the differences between he and the Colts are not repairable. Are you still not trading him then?

I would cross that bridge if that happened. In no way am I giving up Taylor for 2 4th's though. I would just keep him and see what happens from there. I am sure we can get a good deal for Taylor, could be wrong but I doubt it. At worse I may accept a 2nd and a 3rd next year, but I am not even sure I would do that. It's a mess that is for sure.

Glad to see you are posting again, you disappeared for months. Being away from here does do a body/mind good sometime. 

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://horseshoeheroes.com/posts/9-hypothetical-trades-colts-jonathan-taylor-dolphins-bears-ravens-01had8083tj4

From article above:

"9. Baltimore Ravens

Colts receive: WR Devin Duvernay, 2024 2nd (Own), 2024 5th (Own), 2025 4th (Own)

8. Arizona Cardinals

Colts receive: WR Zach Pascal, 2024 3rd (Own), 2024 3rd (Houston), 2024 5th (Own)

7. Chicago Bears

6. Miami Dolphins

5. Buffalo Bills

See article

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

3. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Tennessee Titans

See article

1. Green Bay Packers

See article "

Bears and Cardinals offers look the most realistic to me. Taylor won't fetch a 2nd rounder from any team, IMO, a 3rd and a 4th and a player is the most reasonable. 

Of course, the trade I would LIKE though is that of the Dolphins. 

We are not getting a No.2 WR (I am talking league wide) in return in a trade, whether it is Waddle or Gabe Davis or Watson from Packers, no, not happening. Mooney would be No.2 behind Pittman to me at best, a possible No.3 WR around the league. But then, it just takes 1 desperate team. :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

From article above:

"9. Baltimore Ravens

8. Arizona Cardinals

7. Chicago Bears

6. Miami Dolphins

5. Buffalo Bills

See article

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

3. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Tennessee Titans

See article

1. Green Bay Packers

See article "

#6 is intriguing because of Waddle. If they would give us Waddle straight up for JT, I would have to consider that. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, w87r said:

From article above:

"9. Baltimore Ravens

8. Arizona Cardinals

7. Chicago Bears

6. Miami Dolphins

5. Buffalo Bills

See article

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

3. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Tennessee Titans

See article

1. Green Bay Packers

See article "

If the Dolphins would include Waddle in a trade like that I’d do that in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

This isn't reporting from Holder. This is a speculation piece where Holder talks about potential trade offers with other ESPN staff. In it, he says the above. The bolded is interesting, and it's presented as Holder's opinion, not something he's been told. JMO, it's all speculation, not any new information.

39 minutes ago, Superman said:

This isn't reporting from Holder. This is a speculation piece where Holder talks about potential trade offers with other ESPN staff. In it, he says the above. The bolded is interesting, and it's presented as Holder's opinion, not something he's been told. JMO, it's all speculation, not any new information.

Holder says, "In Reality, Colts would settle for a bit less than first round pick in trade value for JT"

not commenting at you, I think you're right it's his opinion.

But, in that case, Holder should not say "In Reality", he should say something like "I'd estimate"...

What he said looks like he's reporting or he is lying or he doesn't know the difference between reporting and opinionating, and he tries to report his opinions as facts from Colts organization. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, w87r said:

From article above:

"9. Baltimore Ravens

8. Arizona Cardinals

7. Chicago Bears

6. Miami Dolphins

5. Buffalo Bills

See article

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

3. Kansas City Chiefs

2. Tennessee Titans

See article

1. Green Bay Packers

See article "

Previously, the trade offers discussed here were over-valuing JT...

This article seems to under-value JT.. 

At the same time, article is okay with getting Waddle, Wilson and a pick from Miami while other offers are very underwhelming compared to that.

Not sure they thought out through this very well. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Holder says, "In Reality, Colts would settle for a bit less than first round pick in trade value for JT"

But, in that case, Holder should not say "In Reality", he should say something like "I'd estimate"...

What he said looks like he's reporting or he is lying or he doesn't know the difference between reporting and opinionating, and he tries to report his opinions as facts from Colts organization. 

Unless he’s had someone tell him something off the record he can’t officially report which has been speculated happens with him in the past.

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think the line often gets blurred between reporting and opinion. It annoys me.

But in this case, Holder could have information off the record to back up this statement. I'm just saying it doesn't strike me as new information, which is kind of how it's being taken and aggregated today. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Holder doesn’t have to say it’s his opinion.   The widely reported Colts ask in any trade for Taylor has been reported as either a first round pick or a combination of picks that’s roughly a first round pick.   

So either one pick or a combination of picks.  

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Don't you think that the Dolphins value Waddle as much as they would Taylor?

I do but I think they view Taylor as the missing piece for them.  You need to be able to run to win as Shane would say.  Pass to score.  I think if they really want Taylor they will relent and give us Waddle.  Also that’s why I’m surprised there isn’t more interest from the Bills.  They have no run game ar all.