Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

21 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

JT’s desire is perfectly understandable, but his polarizing stance is unconscionable.

Agreed with this. I think he's played it all wrong.

But at what point did he cross the line for you? If he had held out but passed his physical at cut down, where would you stand? Was it the trade request? The leaks? Just curious if the bolded is about any player holding out at any time, or if it's more about the overall ploy.

My advice for JT is save your money man, save your money too.

Hit RBs don't last very long.  You know what I'm saying?

I mean…you're lucky in this game too. There's going to be another cat coming out in the draft. Looking like him, running like him. Next year I know this.

They'll be a flipside, do what you do. Somebody'll try to spin off left tackle like some series.  

29 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I mean…you're lucky in this game too. There's going to be another cat coming out in the draft. Looking like him, running like him. Next year I know this.

They'll be a flipside, do what you do. Somebody'll try to spin off left tackle like some series.  

I meant to add the song.  Those are lyrics from Cypress Hill's song Superstar

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would still love to hear JT speak about the whole situation. He hasn't said anything, basically everything that has been reported/tweeted, is just rumors. People say his agent is speaking for him, all he is doing is tweeting anything to help try and get JT a nice deal done. How do we know he isn't lying about many things? Until I hear JT say, I know longer want to be a Colt, then I am not believing anything I hear or read at this point. 

He is speaking

George Floyd GIF by GIPHY News

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

cypress-hill-how-i-could-just-kill-a-man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

And would do it again tomorrow all other factors being equal!

I don’t like the way this has played out, but the amount of people upset just for wanting a new contract does surprise me a tad.

It is not just for wanting a new contract.  It is for refusing to suit up by faking an injury and acting like this a year before his rookie contract is up.

It is one thing to want and ask for a new contract.  It is quite another thing to do what JT is doing. 

Pittman probably wants a new contract too but he is acting like an adult 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This entire War of the Roses has run its course. As the great band the Avett Brothers sang in the “Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise”. It’s time for Jonathan Taylor and his Slim Shady Agent to “Decide What To Be And Go Be It!”

Show us what you have JT or not. Either way, life will move on “With or Without You”. U2

On 9/28/2023 at 12:46 PM, Superman said:

Contract negotiations are about leverage. What he wants, or "deserves," is likely different from what he can actually get. Especially since he's not a free agent.

And I understand any NFL player wanting to get a new contract before playing their final year, especially a good RB. But players play out their contracts all the time in the NFL, even RBs. It's not unfair or unreasonable for the Colts to tell a player that he won't be extended right away. Even the great Peyton Manning played out his contract, twice in fact. So taking it as disrespect or a lack of appreciation is misguided. 

I am not taking it as disrespect I understand both sides. But supe you really think JT 4 mill is fair with what other RBs are making? Cmon man! He is way better than that and deserves the respect. I agree with contracts, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

5 minutes ago, EasyE said:

I am not taking it as disrespect I understand both sides. But supe you really think JT 4 mill is fair with what other RBs are making? Cmon man! He is way better than that and deserves the respect. I agree with contracts, but what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

NFL contracts have never been about being fair.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:16 AM, Zoltan said:

I think the main point right now is you can't offer a contract because he can't prove he is healthy or will be able to produce at the same level. You don't pay a player for their past you pay for what you think they can produce going forward. Secondly 4 million isn't a low amount for a RB really (JT is top 10 for base salary this year) Z. Moss and Pacheco for the chiefs are making roughly 1 mil this year, which Moss is working towards a good contract next year which will probably average between 4-6 million.

I agree, but will bet 90% of us Colt fans know JT is healthy. JMO But to think JT should be paid under RBs in this league that can't come close too what he can produce is absurd. Grant it I know it's a contract but. You tell me if JT playing for 4mil and has a career injury tomorrow you are happy with way colts handled his contract? I'm giving away free money to Frank and Luck and probably others etc.. Nonsense

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Agreed with this. I think he's played it all wrong.

But at what point did he cross the line for you? If he had held out but passed his physical at cut down, where would you stand? Was it the trade request? The leaks? Just curious if the bolded is about any player holding out at any time, or if it's more about the overall ploy.

For me it's when he started trying to circumvent the CBA that his union and him by extension has agreed to. If he wants to sit out and miss on pay or be fined - that's his right. Faking injuries so he won't play while being paid millions is a step too far for me.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

For me it's when he started trying to circumvent the CBA that his union and him by extension has agreed to. If he wants to sit out and miss on pay or be fined - that's his right. Faking injuries so he won't play while being paid millions is a step too far for me.

Easy said when nobody in this forum has been a NFL elite RB..

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

The thing is, if he had done like others, kept his head down, proven he was healthy, odds are he’d had a market setting contract by years end. If not sooner. 

Agreed...If he had played the Colts are most likely a surprizing 3-0 and serious talks of an extention are now in place.

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Yea, I don't know how he is able to feed his family on 4 mil.  Poor jt

That isn't the point, he is way underpaid by NFL standards, and you know it. You sound bitter at this point with the way you post about him everyday. I am pretty much over it with people bashing this guy. I don't like how he has went about it, but he is still a great player. In 2021 when he was an MVP candidate, everyone was in love with him when we ran him into the ground and he nearly gained 2000 yards with 20 total TD's.  Football is a business and the guy wants to be paid what he is worth. He has 1 year left on his contract and makes peanuts compared to the other top RB's in the league. No matter what I post, you will refute it so I am really wasting my time trying to explain his side of it. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That isn't the point, he is way underpaid by NFL standards, and you know it. You sound bitter at this point with the way you post about him everyday. I am pretty much over it with people bashing this guy. I don't like how he has went about it, but he is still a great player. In 2021 when he was an MVP candidate, everyone was in love with him when we ran him into the ground and he nearly gained 2000 yards with 20 total TD's.  Football is a business and the guy wants to be paid what he is worth. He has 1 year left on his contract and makes peanuts compared to the other top RB's in the league. No matter what I post, you will refute it so I am really wasting my time trying to explain his side of it. 

He is making exactly what he is supposed to on his ROOKIE contract.  You would have a point if this was occurring next year.

Yes I will refute it.  HE ISN'T DONE WITH HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you would fine if he wanted an extension a year early if he wasn't under rookie contract? 

I think it is still ridiculous (just less so) but at least that is a lot more common.

I am never fine with faking an injury so jt deserves any bashing he gets regardless or anything else.

35 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

He is making exactly what he is supposed to on his ROOKIE contract.  You would have a point if this was occurring next year.

Yes I will refute it.  HE ISN'T DONE WITH HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT. 

^^^^^^^^ This guy gets it !!!

I would also say if Taylor finishes out his rookie contract and Colts tag him next season, I will take Taylor's side in any holdout.

He fulfilled his rookie contact and if Colts don't want to give a long term deal they should let go as an UFA

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EasyE said:

I may add also I agree with you and I don't blame JT for wanting off this team. By other positions getting paid and not him. JMO

He wants off the team because we happen to be the team he is under contract to and we won’t pay him right away.  If he was on another team and they took the same position he would want off that team.  He’s just trying to get paid early.  His circumstances are working against him right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EasyE said:

I may add also I agree with you and I don't blame JT for wanting off this team. By other positions getting paid and not him. JMO

I could listen to that and understand his position but it’s not just him no one in the NFL is paying running back so if he goes somewhere else they aren’t going to pay him either.  His best chance to get paid is here because the Colts have signaled they are open to it if he performs.

26 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I would also say if Taylor finishes out his rookie contract and Colts tag him next season, I will take Taylor's side in any holdout.

He fulfilled his rookie contact and if Colts don't want to give a long term deal they should let go as an UFA

I doubt there’s any way that Ballard or any other GM would flatly offer to take the franchise tag off the table.

Maybe they should let him go UFA after playing out his contract.  But they shouldn’t offer that guarantee.

49 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I get the playing out your contract part (that would be the noble thing to do) but there have been 100's players in the last year of their deals that ask for an extension to get paid much more. If Taylor was just any Joe Shmoe it would be different but he is a all-pro RB. I equate what he is doing, is someone in a workplace that makes $20 an hour and the 3 people around him doing the same job are making $25 an hour, but yet he is best worker out of the 4 and he knows he deserves to make more money than all of them. Anyone in that position would be upset. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I get the playing out your contract part (that would be the noble thing to do) but there have been 100's players in the last year of their deals that ask for an extension to get paid much more. If Taylor was just any Joe Shmoe it would be different but he is a all-pro RB. I equate what he is doing, is someone in a workplace that makes $20 an hour and the 3 people around him doing the same job are making $25 an hour, but yet he is best worker out of the 4 and he knows he deserves to make more money than all of them. Anyone in that position would be upset. 

Were those 100s of players on their rookie deals?  Would love to see a link to that

9 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Were those 100s of players on their rookie deals?  Would love to see a link to that

What is the difference? Why are you so hung up on someone being on a rookie deal and wanting an extension in his last year of it compared to someone wanting an extension that isn't on one? Taylor has already proven himself.

What if AR turns out great and is playing outstanding and is in his last year of his rookie deal and he wants an extension to be one of the highest paid QB's? Are you going to complain about it? Don't lie because I seriously doubt anyone would. Taylor is a RB is why you are hung up on it is my guess.

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

The silver lining here is we've got now an in-house CBA Expert! 

I sure hope you do not mean me. I may have read it but I’m far from an expert. I will never claim to be an expert at anything.  Plus, like any legal document, there’s vague areas which are open to interpretation and there’s even conflicting and contradictory clauses in it too. 

• Like 1