Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

16 hours ago, tikyle said:

C'mon!

We all know how this works.  The next guy to get paid, gets more than the last guy that got paid, especially when the cap keeps increasing.  No QB is better than Mahomes but several make more than him.  JT doesn't have to be better than Henry to make more than him.  I agree he shouldn't get the CMC/Kamara premium of being a RB/WR but he should surely be the highest paid pure RB in the NFL if you think he can stay healthy.  

JT is by far the best offensive player on our team who touches the ball and probably the 2nd best offensive player on the team period behind Nelson.  Pay the man.  5 years, $65M with a modest signing bonus and hope we keep him that entire contract because that would mean he's out performing it.

I’m all for it if that’s what the current market dictates that’s where running back salaries are going.  But you can’t just make someone the highest at their position ESPECIALLY if they aren’t the BEST at their position.  That happens with quarterbacks because that position is a PREMIUM position, running back is not (unless you’re the jags and overpay for Christian Kirk).  If what you are saying is the case, then the NFL would be more like the NBA where everyone sign short contracts and play the increasing market rather than take long term deals.  

usually the way the price for a position increase is when the elite players sign because then other players and agents say to themselves “ok, that’s what I’m going to be measured off of”. Pat Mahomes should and very well can be the highest paid qb by far, but HE chose not to in order to help his team.  And let’s be honest, that contract is designed to be renegotiated through the years so he’ll get an increase in the future.  But just because a player is up for a contract doesn’t mean HE will be the one to reset the market.  Either Henry, CMC, or Kamara will, not JT.  Sorry, love JT but he’s morseo in the 5-10 range when it comes to ranking running backs, not 1-5.  He’s not a player who resets the market.  When said players reset the market, then I’m pretty sure whatever contract he signs will get revisited and he’ll get what he’s paid according to the new running back market, but right now he’s worth $10-$12 million.  

or he can play the waiting game like Lamar did.  Had Lamar signed when the ravens were trying to sign him originally, he would be getting paid less than what he is now. 

On 8/17/2023 at 9:06 AM, tikyle said:

C'mon!

We all know how this works.  The next guy to get paid, gets more than the last guy that got paid, especially when the cap keeps increasing.  No QB is better than Mahomes but several make more than him.  JT doesn't have to be better than Henry to make more than him.  I agree he shouldn't get the CMC/Kamara premium of being a RB/WR but he should surely be the highest paid pure RB in the NFL if you think he can stay healthy.  

JT is by far the best offensive player on our team who touches the ball and probably the 2nd best offensive player on the team period behind Nelson.  Pay the man.  5 years, $65M with a modest signing bonus and hope we keep him that entire contract because that would mean he's out performing it.

Oh I disagree with a lot of this. But fundamentally, five years, $65m is no different than three years, $39m, so that's fine. Just depends on the guarantees and the structure. But I'd have zero expect expectation that he'd finish that contract, same as I have little expectation that CMC/Kamara finish theirs.

But the Colts aren't doing a thing until JT plays, and plays well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Superman said:

Oh I disagree with a lot of this. But fundamentally, five years, $65m is no different than three years, $39m, so that's fine. Just depends on the guarantees and the structure. But I'd have zero expect expectation that he'd finish that contract, same as I have little expectation that CMC/Kamara finish theirs.

But the Colts aren't doing a thing until JT plays, and plays well.

And why would they.  If leonard or Nelson was coming off an injury they wouldn't have got new contracts either

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

And why would they.  If leonard or Nelson was coming off an injury they wouldn't have got new contracts either

You are misinformed.

Both of those players were coming off injury.   Nelson had been nicked on several occasions and missed 4 games (one was Covid though).  He had recurring back issues and a high ankle sprain in 2021.  He was coming off a string of injuries the most concerning to me and many others at the time was the back stuff.  It appears to me that his back has been part of his fall from excellence on the field.

Here is Leonard's injury history BEFORE the contract in JUST 2021

"Nelson’s 2021 season was dominated by injury — two offseason surgeries he’s declined to reveal, a training camp surgery to remove a loose piece of bone from his foot, a badly sprained ankle that cost him three games, another game lost to COVID-19 — and his play suffered a bit. For the first time in his career, Nelson was named second-team All-Pro, rather than first team, as he played with an enormous brace on his ankle."

Here is part of Leonard's injury history before the contract. 

"Leonard's ankle bothered him during the 2020 season, but he didn't have surgery until June 2021"  Note before the contract signed in August.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Actually wasn't Nelson dealing with injuries and then he got a new contract last year? Just saying. He was dealing with back injuries in Wentz's year

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually wasn't Nelson dealing with injuries and then he got a new contract last year? Just saying. He was dealing with back injuries in Wentz's year

Nelson’s contract also hinged at the time on him passing a physical which he did. JT has refused a physical so again. No one knows where JT actually is physically 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

Nelson’s contract also hinges on him passing a physical which he did. JT has refused a physical so again. No one knows where JT actually is physically 

That is definitely true, but that doesn't really detract from the factthat both Nelson and Leonard, both of whom also play non-premium positions and both of whom were signed a year before their deals were up, had both been inured most of the year before their deals, and were both coming off surgeries. 

I'm pretty sure JT and his camp have looked at this and pointed it out the FO. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That is definitely true, but that doesn't really detract from the factthat both Nelson and Leonard, both of whom also play non-premium positions and both of whom were signed a year before their deals were up, had both been inured most of the year before their deals, and were both coming off surgeries. 

And if i was the FO, i would say so what.  They don't play the same position and as mentioned they were willing to have a physical to verify status of their injuries.

Plus, nothing wrong with Colts being more careful about how much they're handing out to players.  What they have done in the past doesn't mean they have to always continue to do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuswingman said:

And if i was the FO, i would say so what.  They don't play the same position and as mentioned they were willing to have a physical to verify status of their injuries.

Plus, nothing wrong with Colts being more careful about how much they're handing out to players.  What they have done in the past doesn't mean they have to always continue to do it.

Oh I would too if I was the FO.  

And I couldn't agree more about the money.  I think a big part of the issue with this org is overpaying their own.

But I DO understand if Taylor feels like that's a pretty hard pill to swallow.  The language used with Taylor has been radically different than that used with Nelson and Leonard, neither of whom are coming close to playing up to their deals. 

• Like 2

Bottom line, JT ought to learn from Pittman as to how to carry oneself and honor contractual obligations.  This, whaaaaa I wanna be traded mantra is total b s and if all this is true, I have totally lost respect for him.  Went from my favorite Colt to me disliking him.  I truly hope he can be redeemed, but I am dubious about that. Honestly, if he doesn’t have an attitude adjustment, then I would not be upset if he suffers a total career meltdown like what happened to Le’veon Bell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Ok and ? Maybe the FO realizes that was a mistake and are no longer going to do so. It’s rather irrelevant 

• Like 2

I thought what Ballard said on Sirius radio this week was pretty enlightening. He said Taylor had to get healthy before they do anything. So he is still not right or colts are just trying to play along until Taylor realizes he has to play to get either paid or traded. I think there is a slim chance Taylor is on the field for any team week one.

30 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I thought what Ballard said on Sirius radio this week was pretty enlightening. He said Taylor had to get healthy before they do anything. So he is still not right or colts are just trying to play along until Taylor realizes he has to play to get either paid or traded. I think there is a slim chance Taylor is on the field for any team week one.

Sure looking that way. 

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Still thinking JT is the one who’s lied about the injuries. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I totally agree.  My response a couple posts up indicate that too.

I was totally against resigning Nelso and Leaonrd when they did and I gave my reasons back then and I was totally right. I get JTs issue when those two guys got paid and played non premium positions. However a lot has changed. The rb market has gone very stale. I also think that Ballard is stinging from the Nelson contract. He extended when he had no business doing it. I also think Irsay maybe more involved in these contracts as of late. JT is being stubborn and wants the team to play nice when all the information out there based on history of the rb postion is DO NOT EXTEND HIM!! Let him play our this year.  For a very smart guy, this seems to evade Taylor and he is looking rather foolish even though I know what he has to be feeling. To me if Nelson, Leoanrd and JT were all healthy,  I would probably pick as more valuable to this team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I was totally against resigning Nelso and Leaonrd when they did and I gave my reasons back then and I was totally right. I get JTs issue when those two guys got paid and played non premium positions. However a lot has changed. The rb market has gone very stale. I also think that Ballard is stinging from the Nelson contract. He extended when he had no business doing it. I also think Irsay maybe more involved in these contracts as of late. JT is being stubborn and wants the team to play nice when all the information out there based on history of the rb postion is DO NOT EXTEND HIM!! Let him play our this year.  For a very smart guy, this seems to evade Taylor and he is looking rather foolish even though I know what he has to be feeling. To me if Nelson, Leoanrd and JT were all healthy,  I would probably pick as more valuable to this team.

Couldn’t agree more with every word you said.

If there is any shred of truth to this, who could we get back from the Dolphins as similar compensation?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-afc-contender-talking-to-colts-about-blockbuster-jonathan-taylor-trade-according-to-nfl-executive/ar-AA1ftdJC?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=99ba6e0223e040f7a6af567fcb348f87&ei=9

Edge - Jaelan Phillips and draft pick(s)

OG - Robert Hunt and draft pick(s)

Those are about the only two young potential "stars" that I could think of outside of Waddle who I know they would not part with.....

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

If there is any shred of truth to this, who could we get back from the Dolphins as similar compensation?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-afc-contender-talking-to-colts-about-blockbuster-jonathan-taylor-trade-according-to-nfl-executive/ar-AA1ftdJC?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=99ba6e0223e040f7a6af567fcb348f87&ei=9

Edge - Jaelan Phillips and draft pick(s)

OG - Robert Hunt and draft pick(s)

Those are about the only two young potential "stars" that I could think of outside of Waddle who I know they would not part with.....

Wouldn’t shock me if it is true.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I think the Colts would get picks, but no players.   And I’d be happy to be wrong. 

I think if a trade happens, Ballard would want picks. What would we get is a mystery? I would want them in 2024, at least 2. A 2nd and 3rd would be nice or just a 1st. Any suggestions on what we could get for him? I am just throwing stuff out there. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think if a trade happens, Ballard would want picks. What would we get is a mystery? I would want them in 2024, at least 2. A 2nd and 3rd would be nice or just a 1st. Any suggestions on what we could get for him? I am just throwing stuff out there. 

If I had to guess….   The Colts might be happy with a 2 and a 4 knowing both picks would likely be at the end of their round.  

The timing is key.  A trade around late Aug early Sept is not ideal.   If the Colts want to maximize the trade then they’d wait until early March.   But it certainly seems like a trade coukd be in the works soon enough. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I had to guess….   The Colts might be happy with a 2 and a 4 knowing both picks would likely be at the end of their round.  

The timing is key.  A trade around late Aug early Sept is not ideal.   If the Colts want to maximize the trade then they’d wait until early March.   But it certainly seems like a trade coukd be in the works soon enough. 

Yeah regarding picks, I would be thrilled with a 2nd and 3rd in 2024. 2nd and 4th is reasonable. How about just a 1st in 2024? It's only 1 pick but a 1st.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah regarding picks, I would be thrilled with a 2nd and 3rd in 2024. 2nd and 4th is reasonable. How about just a 1st in 2024? It's only 1 pick but a 1st.

It’s hard to see the Colts asking for a first when they won’t even pay the guy they’re now trying to trade.   Now if the Colts didn’t ask for it, but Miami offered that might be a different story.   But I think it would be a long shot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think some are setting themselves up for real disappointment here.  The reports all along have been that Taylor’s trade value around the league is minimal.  I really doubt the Colts can get a star player back or a high pick back, let alone both.

According to many, Miami seems to want him pretty bad. I already think Miami is a playoff team without him, imagine what they could do with him. If Miami thinks they have a shot at a SB run, I am sure they would give up a couple of picks. If not, then their loss, because Ballard won't trade JT for scraps. He is too good of a GM to do that.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think some are setting themselves up for real disappointment here.  The reports all along have been that Taylor’s trade value around the league is minimal.  I really doubt the Colts can get a star player back or a high pick back, let alone both.

Completely agree.  

Taylor’s home run threat on every play along with Hills home run threat on every play along with Waddles home run threat on every play would have D coordinators chain smoking Camel non filters and spiking their coffee with Angels envy and biting their nails to the quick that week watching film and prepping though.

But if any team would be interested in giving anything of value it’s them.

He’s not much of a trade asset though seemingly.  Plus they wouldn’t be bidding against anyone.