Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which NFL Coach is on the "HOTTEST HOT SEAT"?

sb41champs

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Thought I saw something this morning or last night that said Reich's seat is hot hot right now.

Who will want to coach for that owner? If he fires Reich, he will be on his 4th head coach (Rhule, Wilks, Reich, and whoever replaces Reich) in two seasons.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Who will want to coach for that owner? If he fires Reich, he will be on his 4th head coach (Rhule, Wilks, Reich, and whoever replaces Reich) in two seasons.

Wilks was just an interim coach.

Should of been hired as full time coach though.

Someone will take the job. 

I think those who have participated in this interesting thread should go back and read what they wrote in Sept and then notice how things changed in Oct and changing more still in Nov.   

Performance in the NFL can go up and down over the course of a long season.  Few,  if any teams just get better and don’t have some dips in performance.  Hey, it’s a loooong season, stuff happens.   And often it’s stuff that none of us sees coming.   Me very much included.  

Good discussion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think those who have participated in this interesting thread should go back and read what they wrote in Sept and then notice how things changed in Oct and changing more still in Nov.   

Performance in the NFL can go up and down over the course of a long season.  Few,  if any teams just get better and don’t have some dips in performance.  Hey, it’s a loooong season, stuff happens.   And often it’s stuff that none of us sees coming.   Me very much included.  

Good discussion. 

Yep! I had predicted no mid season firings… and then the McDaniels stuff happened, which caught even the NFL pundits off guard. 

I’m still not sure about Staley and the Chargers. They’ve got a healthy Herbert, the Browns, Bengals and Steelers all have bad offenses now, and yet the Chargers still can’t take advantage to get into the playoffs so far. 

My hot seat rankings now:

Next to the sun: Matt Eberflus

Melting in a volcano: Frank Reich

Botched fried turkey: Bill Belichick

Hiking in Death Valley: Brandon Staley 

Standing on hot sand barefoot: Robert Saleh

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I still can't believe he essentially did the same thing as his Broncos days. I mean, he inherited a playoff caliber Raiders team and nearly killed it... 

Would you consider him for taking over the Patriots once Bill is gone? 

I don't think so. McDaniels is officially now "damaged goods" and has failed miserably in both opportunities he's had. The bigger issue to me is how he failed. He lost his locker rooms and did not earn the respect of his players. That's not a good sign, and it's not something that can necessarily be corrected over time since it's kind of an ingrained personality thing. Belichick's style worked for Belichick for a long time because he had the hardware to back it all up. But all the guys who've moved on... McDaniels, Patricia, Mangini have tried to emulate BB and failed (except, arguably, Mike Vrabel, who up until this season has done a solid job in Tennessee). 

Some people are great in a top lieutenant-type role but not so great at being the boss. I think that's what you've got with McDaniels. You guys are probably fortunate, in hindsight, that he didn't go to Indy and destroy your team. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yep! I had predicted no mid season firings… and then the McDaniels stuff happened, which caught even the NFL pundits off guard. 

I’m still not sure about Staley and the Chargers. They’ve got a healthy Herbert, the Browns, Bengals and Steelers all have bad offenses now, and yet the Chargers still can’t take advantage to get into the playoffs so far. 

Nice rankings, that was a fun read!   :thmup:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think I would put Staley at the top.  The Chargers were expecting a better season with the team they have.   They can still pull out a playoff spot which would save his job.  

Just now, Myles said:

I think I would put Staley at the top.  The Chargers were expecting a better season with the team they have.   They can still pull out a playoff spot which would save his job.  

It's certainly a good argument. They should be better than this. And honestly, if there's even a whiff that he's lost the locker room I wouldn't put it past Dean Spanos to kick him out. 

But I see Eberflus as a dead man walking. And that was before the debacle on Sunday.

Really, Eberflus and Reich are probably both floating around the sun this week. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 6:53 AM, RollerColt said:

sun GIF

Austin Powers Lava GIF

Sorry Fox Tv GIF by Bob's Burgers

Run Running GIF by Sam Gendel

Happy Sunday Beach GIF by Hello All

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Rivera will absolutely be gone at the end of this year you can take it to the bank. I also firmly believe Reich will be canned as well.

I don't know about Reich but I would not be surprised what that owner does. A year is not enough to give a coach to turn things around. JMO.

Rivera seems like he will be. The team fired their defensive coordinator today despite leaving him without two of his top defensive players (they were traded away). It does not seem fair but the writing is on the wall.

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know about Reich but I would not be surprised what that owner does. A year is not enough to give a coach to turn things around. JMO.

Rivera seems like he will be. The team fired their defensive coordinator today despite leaving him without two of his top defensive players (they were traded away). It does not seem fair but the writing is on the wall.

Coordinator getting fired usually means that HC is on hot seat already.

1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

Is it just a feeling or did the inseason firings of head coaches and coordinators really go up the last two seasons? 

No it has been usual around the league...

Teams are looking for younger coaches, so as they seem to get rid of old coaching hierarchy, it may look on the outside as if there are lot of in-season firing but many teams don't shy away from doing it in the middle of the season.

Two years back, I recall more than couple of teams fired coaches after Thanksgiving. Timing just varies depending on the situation each time. 

On 11/20/2023 at 8:09 PM, NFLfan said:

Very good question, and we're about to find out the answer - it'll have to be a 1st time HC (for a boatload of money) because no established Coach in his right mind would hop aboard that sinking ship.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, RollerColt said:

So uh...

Adam Schefter came out with a report that after this season is all wrapped up and finished, it could be ten... TEN total head coaches fired for the season counting McDaniels and Reich... 

That would be record breaking wouldn't it? 

That is an awful lot. Are the two interim guys included? Who will fill those positions?

I was thinking about who those ten might be. Rivera, Eberflus, Reich. Any others in the NFC? Bowles? Arthur Smith?

In the AFC, besides McD, maybe Staley and BB may be fired. I cannot think of anyone else. Vrabel? I think that would be a bad move. I don't think anyone in the AFC North will be fired.

Just now, NFLfan said:

That is an awful lot. Are the two interim guys included,? Who will fill those positions?

I was thinking who those ten could be. Rivera, Eberflus, Reich. Any others in the NFC? Bowles? Arthur Smith?

In the AFC, besides McD, maybe Staley and BB may be fired. I cannot think of anyone else. Vrabel? I think that would be a bad move. I don't think anyone in the AFC North will be fired.

Saleh could be one. McDermott if the Bills miss the playoffs could be another. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Saleh could be one. McDermott if the Bills miss the playoffs could be another. 

I think if the Jets want Rodgers to come back, they have to retain Saleh. Otherwise, anyone coming in will want to bring their own assistants. Rodgers wants to play for Nathaniel Hackett. I guess they can fire Saleh and promote Hackett but given how poorly Hackett coached in Denver, the fans won't like that move.

Perhaps McDermott

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is an awful lot. Are the two interim guys included,? Who will fill those positions?

I was thinking who those ten could be. Rivera, Eberflus, Reich. Any others in the NFC? Bowles? Arthur Smith?

The list I’ve heard from Pat’s show and Eisen’s show would include Reich and McDaniels, and yes even the interims.

McDaniels

Reich

Eberflus

Belichick

Staley

Rivera 

Vrabel could lateral to Patriots

McDermott

Saleh

Smith

Bowles

Tabor

Pierce

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The list I’ve heard from Pat’s show and Eisen’s show would include Reich and McDaniels, and yes even the interims.

McDaniels

Reich

Eberflus

Belichick

Staley

Rivera 

Vrabel could lateral to Patriots

McDermott

Saleh

Smith

Bowles

Tabor

Pierce

Okay, 8 coaching vacancies. There is always a surprise firing too. Maybe McCarthy if Dallas gets bounced in the first round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay, 8 coaching vacancies. There is always a surprise firing too. Maybe McCarthy if Dallas gets bounced in the first round.

I think Saleh is staying if that is Aaron’s wish. I agree with you on it that for sure. 

If Bill leaves I could really see the Patriots pushing for Vrabel. 

I doubt Tabor gets the permanent job with Carolina. 

Pierce is also questionable. 

Eberflus is gone for sure. He’s aged badly just like Frank. 

Staley is probably gone as well for completely botching the Chargers defense alone. 

I think one of Dennis Allen, Todd Bowles or Arthur Smith will be fired depending on who fails to win the pathetic NFC South. 

Schefter is hearing grumblings of McDermott if they miss out on the playoffs. 

It’s going to be a very interesting end to the year. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That is an awful lot. Are the two interim guys included? Who will fill those positions?

I was thinking about who those ten might be. Rivera, Eberflus, Reich. Any others in the NFC? Bowles? Arthur Smith?

McDermott. His seat is definitely hot.  I think he needs to make the playoffs to keep it and that may not be enough if he loses in the first round.

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

McDermott. His seat is definitely hot.  I think he needs to make the playoffs to keep it and that may not be enough if he loses in the first round.

Yeah, I hope, for the sake of Josh Allen, that they miss the playoffs and Sean McDermott is fired. 0-6 in OT games that they have seen the opposition offense go down the field against that system of defense. Even when Josh Allen has produced the points and cut down on his mistakes, the other side has still been a liability. Josh needs to be paired with an offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson. 

I would safely venture to say Eberflus, Staley and McDermott are the most likely ones gone. Belichick most likely retires and if they can't get Mike Vrabel, they will do an in house promotion with Jerod Mayo.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I read an article which reported sources as saying there is "zero" chance that Pagula fires McDermott.

I'm thinking Brandon Staley, Maybe not during the season, but if the Chargers don't make the playoffs he could be gone. 

Arthur Smith has the support of the owner, so his job seems safe, even if the Falcons miss the playoffs. The team is currently in first place in the NFC South , so he won't be leaving anytime soon. 

• Thanks 1

Because this thread interests me, and because the two head coaches facing off tonight are safe, let's take a look at how things stand across the NFL with 5 weeks to go: 

AFC EAST

McDermott - Bills owner said there was zero chance Sean would be fired. SAFE

McDaniel - Dolphins in 1st place. SAFE

Saleh - Riding with Wilson for so long has warmed his seat. NOT SAFE

Belichick - Of all the teams in the NFL, they are one of them... NOT SAFE

AFC SOUTH

Pederson - SAFE

Steichen - COY candidate. SAFE

Ryans - COY candidate. SAFE

Vrabel - Bottom of the division but still getting his guys to play hard. SAFE but could be going to NE. 

AFC WEST

Reid - Hall of Fame here he comes. SAFE

Peyton - Huge $$$ contract. SAFE

Pierce - The team is playing decent but he's an interim. NOT SAFE

Staley - They were supposed to be competing with KC... NOT SAFE

AFC NORTH

Harbaugh - Hall of Famer and winning. SAFE

Tomlin - Also Hall of Famer and still winning. SAFE

Stefanski - Has no QB and is still competing. SAFE

Taylor - Just a few years removed from a Super Bowl. SAFE

NFC EAST

Sirianni - First double digit win team after a Super Bowl loss since Buffalo. SAFE

McCarthy - Has Dak playing the best possibly ever. SAFE

Daboll - Giants have recently commented on committing to Brian. SAFE

Rivera - The writing is on the wall. NOT SAFE

NFC WEST

Shanahan - They just beat the Eagles and are Super Bowl favorites. SAFE

McVay - Rams are challenging for a playoff spot and McVay already has a ring. SAFE

Carroll - Hall of Famer and fighting for a playoff spot. It's his job until he retires. SAFE

Gannon - Rookie head coach who's finally got Murray back. SAFE

NFC SOUTH

Smith - The Falcons are in 1st place. SAFE

Bowles - The retirement of Brady might be too much to overcome. NOT SAFE

Allen - The Saints have looked horrible since beating the Colts. NOT SAFE

Tabor - Tepper is not going to go with an interim. NOT SAFE

NFC NORTH

Campbell - The Lions are 9-3 and winning the North. SAFE

O'Connell - Despite all the injuries the team is still in the hunt. SAFE

LaFleur - He's got Jordan Love playing lights out. SAFE

Eberflus - Stick a fork in him. He's done and is next to be fired. NOT SAFE

Counting Vrabel moving to New England, that's 10 potential coaching changes / hirings this offseason, which would make 12 total for the season if you include McDaniels and Reich.