Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Ravens post game thread

GoColts8818

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's a fair point, but then we have to bring up that the Ravens were without 8 starters. And that Justin Tucker didn't save the day like he normally does. And that the Ravens totally mismanaged the clock after the safety. Etc. I also think there's a lot more variance with Richardson than there is with Minshew. He might have made a few more plays, but he also might have turned the ball over or missed a dump off...

I think the Ravens are a pretty good team, but they weren't at full strength and didn't play their best game. So I'm not exactly convinced that the Colts are on their level. 

I still think Baltimore will win the Super Bowl. This is why this win shows me a lot about our team.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's a fair point, but then we have to bring up that the Ravens were without 8 starters. And that Justin Tucker didn't save the day like he normally does. And that the Ravens totally mismanaged the clock after the safety. Etc. I also think there's a lot more variance with Richardson than there is with Minshew. He might have made a few more plays, but he also might have turned the ball over or missed a dump off...

I think the Ravens are a pretty good team, but they weren't at full strength and didn't play their best game. So I'm not exactly convinced that the Colts are on their level. 

We were also without our center, Fries went down, and Brents started his first game.  We allowed only one pass over 10 yards.  That's pretty impressive. 

https://pressboxonline.com/2023/09/24/five-takeaways-from-the-ravens-22-19-loss-to-the-colts/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think we’ll have to beat the Jags in Jacksonville before that is a “book it”. We’ve trouble there for some years now, but I think it’s doable this season. 

I also think we need to beat the Titans at least once. 

at 4-1 that would mean we beat the Titans, that is the game Taylor dominates The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

Some of my thoughts:

1) Worst broadcast team ever. Let's just get that out of the way. Why do they have a three team booth when these people have no chemistry? They spent most of the biggest moments talking over each other. That stretch of time from the safety to the end of regulation was tragic. And I bet we get this crew a couple more times this year...

It was insufferable. The female (I didn’t catch her name and I’m hoping I can live out the rest of my days that way,) enunciated her words in the exact same was as Chris collinsworth. That same awkward delivery that makes it seem like they’re trying not to dribble spit on themselves. And her voice itself was not even remotely pleasant to listen to, it was a lethal combination. Yesterday may have been the worst Colts broadcast I’ve ever had to sit through. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

It was insufferable. The female (I didn’t catch her name and I’m hoping I can live out the rest of my days that way,) enunciated her words in the exact same was as Chris collinsworth. That same awkward delivery that makes it seem like they’re trying not to dribble spit on themselves. And her voice itself was not even remotely pleasant to listen to, it was a lethal combination. Yesterday may have been the worst Colts broadcast I’ve ever had to sit through. 

Her name is Beth Mowins. Now you're like me.

All respect for her, she's been doing it for 30 years and has put in the work. But I don't enjoy her voice or her way of speaking (it's an extreme example of "broadcaster voice," I think it's taught that way, and I really hope it starts going away soon), and I don't think she does a good job of setting the table. I also think she's paired with two of the worst analysts, and none of them have a rhythm with each other. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

5) Gus Bradley found the blitz chapter in his playbook. This is a guy who hates to blitz, and he just kept them coming all game long. And he did it because this is the book on Lamar Jackson -- his efficiency against zero/1 coverages with 5 or more rushers is dramatically lower than it is against 2/3 deep with only 4 rushers, and we've known this for more than three years now. Compare this game with what Eberflus did against Lamar in 2020 and 2021. One of my biggest criticisms of Bradley is his rigidity, but he showed some serious adaptability yesterday, and it helped us win that game.

We can thank Miami for that playbook. 35 freaking times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

We were also without our center, Fries went down, and Brents started his first game.  We allowed only one pass over 10 yards.  That's pretty impressive. 

https://pressboxonline.com/2023/09/24/five-takeaways-from-the-ravens-22-19-loss-to-the-colts/

Not trying to take any credit away from the Colts, they earned the win for sure. Just saying I don't know if this is the kind of measuring stick game that we might have expected.

2 hours ago, Creekside said:

According to the guys at PFF the Ravens blitzed 32 times out of 49 drop backs.

Colts offense played very well considering they were blitzed 32 times...No fumbles. No INTs.

It’s crazy that we couldn’t take more deep shots if they blitzed that much.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

All respect for her, she's been doing it for 30 years and has put in the work. But I don't enjoy her voice or her way of speaking (it's an extreme example of "broadcaster voice," I think it's taught that way, and I really hope it starts going away soon), and I don't think she does a good job of setting the table. I also think she's paired with two of the worst analysts, and none of them have a rhythm with each other. 

It is a tough industry, but she is bad. I could be terrible at it too, so I give her credit trying for her dream. She has bigger balls than me chuckling homer simpson GIF- al ot of it has to do with connections. I would be the Colts annoncer if I had Daddy making millions and if I sucked, I would get fired.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

3 person booths are rarely a positive, particularly where the NFL is concerned. For whatever reason it is always just “less than”. Some of the NBA ones are good, but it takes a skilled team to pull it off. 

When you’ve got a 3 man booth that isn’t working it just magnifies all the bad. The one thing you can count on to make “bad” turn worse is having more of it. Yesterday certainly proved that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Me too. I would have a blast as a commentator. I'd probably get fired for bashing the refs and talking about conspiracy theories, but it'd be a fun experience.

We can only do that if we are employe'd by the Colts on radio, We would have great time then trust me because between you and I we speak the truth lmao 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We can only do that if we are employe'd by the Colts on radio, We would have great time then trust me because between you and I we speak the truth lmao 

I'm sure we'd do great together as a team. You could be the play by play guy, and I'd be the color commentator. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

We need to make teams pay for blitzing. You need to have a safety valve receiver in the area vacated by the blitzers. You need to see the blitz coming beforehand like Peyton  and Brady. That is why teams did not blitz them. 

Minshew didn't even see Hamilton most of the time. And he was apparently in charge of protections for this game. So we had no recognition, no shifts, no hot routes, etc. They finally figured it out on a couple plays in the second half, but we still didn't really burn them. I bet this is something that Minshew has struggled with in the past, and the Ravens knew it.

I think we're still a ways off from being able to expose blitzing teams. Ultimately, it's on the QB, and we won't have that level of experience and ability at QB until Richardson figures it out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Minshew didn't even see Hamilton most of the time. And he was apparently in charge of protections for this game. So we had no recognition, no shifts, no hot routes, etc. They finally figured it out on a couple plays in the second half, but we still didn't really burn them. I bet this is something that Minshew has struggled with in the past, and the Ravens knew it.

I think we're still a ways off from being able to expose blitzing teams. Ultimately, it's on the QB, and we won't have that level of experience and ability at QB until Richardson figures it out.

Kelly would've recognized. Probably JT too. 

Hopefully we get Kelly back soon. Naturally it'd be nice to have JT in as well. 

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure we'd do great together as a team. You could be the play by play guy, and I'd be the color commentator. 

Yeah I would have to tell Irsay block out any cuss words lmao . I would feel confident with you by my side. Once someone starts blocking us/me, then we have a problem, a problem they don't want if my ratings are high and they would be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Saw a stat before the game and Minshew has actually been really good against the blitz. Ravens are tough. Give them some credit.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah I think that’s CBS last team and it showed.  I think it would help if they dump Feely he’s just awful and I honestly question how much he knows about football strategy.  Loften I can stomach he’s not great but if paired with a good announcer he’s at least decent.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah I saw a Jags fan post here somewhere that Minshew does struggle to pick up free rushers.  

I will say the Colts did a better job attacking the blitz with the run yesterday than in the past but that might have also just been Nelson having a REALLY good game yesterday too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

All respect for her, she's been doing it for 30 years and has put in the work. But I don't enjoy her voice or her way of speaking (it's an extreme example of "broadcaster voice," I think it's taught that way,

Agreed on voice and style.  Her style reminds me of old IU basketball broadcaster, Don Fischer...the "Flushman".  There is a significant difference with how they speak as a person and then how they speak behind the mic.  Vowels, enunciation, etc....and its annoying, IMO.

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think Baltimore will win the Super Bowl. This is why this win shows me a lot about our team.

Baltimore was down about eight players already this early in the season. Certainly glad the Colts won, but that’s not the same Raven’s team when somewhat healthy. And we did get bailed out on the pass interference non call that was pretty obvious. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We got a lot of lucky breaks in this game. I'm not complaining, but I'm also kind of pumping the brakes on some of the 'take the Colts seriously' stuff.

That deep pass from Minshew to Pitt was pretty lucky.  You don't make that play unless you throw the ball, but throwing that pass at that time as it was defended is going to result in a completion about 15% of the time.  It felt like a Hail Mary shot at changing field position, and it worked.   

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Some of my thoughts:

1) Worst broadcast team ever. Let's just get that out of the way. Why do they have a three team booth when these people have no chemistry? They spent most of the biggest moments talking over each other. That stretch of time from the safety to the end of regulation was tragic. And I bet we get this crew a couple more times this year...

2) Matt Gay with a monster game, out dueling Justin Tucker in real time. Feels good to have the kicker position in great shape, first time since 2018.

3) JuJu Brents looked big, fast, physical, and was all over the field. No doubt he's going to make some mistakes, but this is what I think we can get from a young secondary when they're playing well, and it's why I'm not super concerned with the DBs for this year. 

4) Minshew is a really good backup. This is what I've always wanted from a backup QB, the ability to keep the offense on track for a couple weeks at a time, when needed. He isn't spectacular, but he's confident, efficient, tough, and keeps his head on straight. 

5) Gus Bradley found the blitz chapter in his playbook. This is a guy who hates to blitz, and he just kept them coming all game long. And he did it because this is the book on Lamar Jackson -- his efficiency against zero/1 coverages with 5 or more rushers is dramatically lower than it is against 2/3 deep with only 4 rushers, and we've known this for more than three years now. Compare this game with what Eberflus did against Lamar in 2020 and 2021. One of my biggest criticisms of Bradley is his rigidity, but he showed some serious adaptability yesterday, and it helped us win that game.

6) I still think the OL is problematic, especially in the run game. We're pretty bad in short yardage, and that's been the case with two QBs and two different RBs. Still need settling at RG, and Braden Smith has been up and down. 

7) Zach Moss is productive, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about him. And yet, he's 100 times better than Deon Jackson was in the opener. And I guess Isaiah McKenzie is a scat back?? If JT comes back at 100%, it should be really good for our offense.

8) We got a lot of lucky breaks in this game. I'm not complaining, but I'm also kind of pumping the brakes on some of the 'take the Colts seriously' stuff. Still only scored 22 points with OT, couldn't convert in short yardage, only got into the red zone twice, and Lamar still kind of had his way with us. We have three very winnable games coming up, but the Browns defense looks incredible, so I kind of have that circled as the biggest test coming up. 

I agree with all of this and to the bolded: 

I think people are hyped we won IN Baltimore, and rightfully so. That's a tough ask for any team. But we can't overlook your points here. We scored 22 points including OT. We also had serious problems creating long drives. I think the weather was a big advantage for us this game. We scored ONE TD. ONE. We won on the back of 4 50+ yard FGs - something that's NEVER been done before in the NFL. Credit to Matt Gay of course, but having to rely on that to win isn't sustainable.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

All impressive to big sure, but the weather may also have been a factor in that as well.

9 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

And we did get bailed out on the pass interference non call that was pretty obvious. 

I think there is a difference between that non call at that time and other PIs that get called.   It really had no impact on the play, and the reason it was not completed was because of a bad pass by Lamar.  If it was a good pass, it would have been completed, which is what typically happens (or should happen) with PI calls.

I think that's what the refs saw, and chose not to aid BAL by giving them a FD when Lamar really threw and incomplete pass regardless.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I am a bit confused about whether Minshew was seeing Hamilton or not. When watching during the game I thought he was not seeing him at all... but then I watch replays and... he's drifting away from Hamilton pretty much from the snap... to me it looks like he's seeing but being too slow to get rid off the ball. I don't know... 

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I agree with all of this and to the bolded: 

I think people are hyped we won IN Baltimore, and rightfully so. That's a tough ask for any team. But we can't overlook your points here. We scored 22 points including OT. We also had serious problems creating long drives. I think the weather was a big advantage for us this game. We scored ONE TD. ONE. We won on the back of 4 50+ yard FGs - something that's NEVER been done before in the NFL. Credit to Matt Gay of course, but having to rely on that to win isn't sustainable.

Yeah, all of that.

But to the positive, last year in Week 3, we beat the Chiefs. I was glad for the win, but had no expectation that the team was now on track and was going to start playing well. I viewed it as a total fluke, a game where the Chiefs played way down to the competition, and it still took a completely unforced penalty by them at the end for us to have a shot. 

This win actually gives me some confidence that the Colts are a decent team with a decent roster. We had a good gameplan, we got some solid contributions from skill players, managed to win with a backup QB, etc. It feels like a potential stepping stone for the Colts. Then again, we're not stumbling into Year 5 with the HC, and we're presumably not juggling QBs anymore, so no wonder I feel better about the state of the franchise than I did a year ago.

• Like 2