Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Young vs Stroud vs Levis

csmopar

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really sure what this post is supposed to mean? I guess you are pointing out Levis had a great Passer Rating? I am one that is on record already, stating Passer Rating makes no sense to me and doesn't measure at to me how well a QB plays. Levis still played badly and anyone that watched the game would know this. I am not here to bash him, read my posts above. Not here to debate or argue about him, I am done doing that with people regarding Levis, it is a waste of time. I watched almost the whole game. He had 2 garbage TD's when the game was already over in a blowout loss, and he looked erratic all day. His best and long TD was on a trick play. He had several passes that could have been picked off as well (2 INT's were dropped, another, a bogus roughing call took 1 away) + he fumbled once. Context means something. 

What if he's just posting the stats?

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm still not sure what to think about Purdy... he looks good, but then again.. we've seen prolonged stretches where players like Nick Mullens looked good in that offense... 

Nick Mullens never looked this good. I'd argue that the only QB that's looked close to this good in Shanahan's offense is 2016 MVP Matt Ryan. And it's close.

It's a small sample size, but Purdy is head and shoulders above everyone else that they've had. It would be no surprise for him to completely fall off and disappear. But while he's doing it, I'm giving him credit.

I don't think pocket awareness and feel ever get dramatically better. He might have some marginal improvements through sheer repetition(or it might get worse - aka "seeing ghosts"), but there really aren't many cases where a QB with horrible pocket presence becomes a QB with great pocket presence. There are more cases of accuracy improving than there are of pocket awareness, simply because with accuracy there might be underlying mechanical problems that can be fixed. I don't know how you fix inability to feel, sense and see pressure. 

Yup, I might have said it in another thread, but pocket presence is an innate thing, similar to accuracy. The difference with accuracy is you can see what the problem is -- bad mechanics, bad timing, whatever. It's much harder to diagnose what causes poor pocket presence. It could just be not understanding how fast NFL pass rush gets home, but I watched Levis run right into pressure that he should have seen. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is a strong Levis supporter, and he and I have gone back and forth about Levis for a month now. If you knew our history, you would know why he posted the stat. 

Do you think I'm not aware of the dynamic? 

In a thread meant to keep track of rookie QBs, posting stat lines doesn't seem out of place. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nick Mullens never looked this good. I'd argue that the only QB that's looked close to this good in Shanahan's offense is 2016 MVP Matt Ryan. And it's close.

It's a small sample size, but Purdy is head and shoulders above everyone else that they've had. It would be no surprise for him to completely fall off and disappear. But while he's doing it, I'm giving him credit.

Yup, I might have said it in another thread, but pocket presence is an innate thing, similar to accuracy. The difference with accuracy is you can see what the problem is -- bad mechanics, bad timing, whatever. It's much harder to diagnose what causes poor pocket presence. It could just be not understanding how fast NFL pass rush gets home, but I watched Levis run right into pressure that he should have seen. 

running into pressure could be that he isn’t adept at running where as a qb that runs a lot is using his feet to avoid tacklers. One is used to throwing to about a rush, the other uses their feet to avoid the rush. 

4 minutes ago, husker61 said:

running into pressure could be that he isn’t adept at running where as a qb that runs a lot is using his feet to avoid tacklers. One is used to throwing to about a rush, the other uses their feet to avoid the rush

What about doing neither? He's using his feet to run into pressure, and it's right in his face, so how does he not see it? He's also holding the ball too long, standing in the pocket too long, etc. This was evident on his Kentucky tape, also.

He needs to be much quicker making decisions in the pocket, whether he's throwing or running.

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do you think I'm not aware of the dynamic? 

In a thread meant to keep track of rookie QBs, posting stat lines doesn't seem out of place. 

To your last sentence, thanks, we agree 100%. So the next time I get bashed for posting a stat line of someone that had bad stats, I will tag on you on it so you can tell them they were out of place for bashing me. Sound fair? 

21 minutes ago, husker61 said:

running into pressure could be that he isn’t adept at running where as a qb that runs a lot is using his feet to avoid tacklers. One is used to throwing to about a rush, the other uses their feet to avoid the rush. 

I don't think Levis has a problem with mobility. His mobility is not the reason his pressure to sack ratio was one of the highest recorded of potential top pick pre-draft. He just doesn't see it. In a lot of cases he's oblivious to it, he has absolutely ZERO idea that a freight train is about to annihilate him. At first I thought... maybe his pass-protection screwed up and he wasn't even supposed to look there... but then you start seeing him getting blasted again and again and again by rushes coming from all direction and in all types of situations. I don't know how else to explain it because it doesn't make much sense to me, it's like he has zero peripheral vision and no feel about the movements of the pocket and rushers. 

I've heard people say he panics, but no... I disagree with this too... he's not frenetic and wild in the pocket(i.e. what Minshew has been doing lately), he's actually relatively calm... almost to a fault... he sits in the pocket and he gets hammered, again... because IMO he just is oblivious to the pressure... doesn't see it, doesn't feel it... 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your last sentence, thanks, we agree 100%. So the next time I get bashed for posting a stat line of someone that had bad stats, I will tag on you on it so you can tell them they were out of place for bashing me. Sound fair? 

It sounds unnecessary. 

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is a strong Levis supporter, and he and I have gone back and forth about Levis for a month now. If you knew our history, you would know why he posted the stat. 

No, I'm not a strong Levis supporter.  I said he had one great game, and a couple of good ones.  The back and forth is 100% due to you reading into stuff with exaggeration to present Strawman.  Like your post above. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

No, I'm not a strong Levis supporter.  I said he had one great game, and a couple of good ones.  The back and forth is 100% due to you reading into stuff with exaggeration to present Strawman.  Like your post above. 

Way to twist things. Make me look bad and you look innocent. You know what you are doing and frankly I am tired of it. You can fool others but not me. I am going to put you on ignore. I have never done that to anyone. Congrats.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Way to twist things. Make me look bad and you look innocent. You know what you are doing and frankly I am tired of it. You can fool others but not me. I am going to put you on ignore. I have never done that to anyone. Congrats.

You fool yourself.  And its not my fault. 

For the 27th time on this forum (Back in April, during preseason, after week 5, and now.....no change):

Stroud : Yes

Levis : Probably

Young: No

AR: Incomplete

If you read Strong Levis Supporter. that's on you.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is, I was being sarcastic, I just don't think you know the history between him and me. I have been ignoring him lately but why even point out someone had a great passer rating when they played like crap. 

To the bolded, come on. Haven't I earned a little more credit than that?

So the next time I get bashed for posting a stat line of someone that had bad stats,

Coming back to this, there's nothing definitive about posting a stat line. You can read into it whatever you want, just like another poster can do the same. And you could just have a good faith discussion about the topic on the merits, or you can get baited into a bad faith back and forth.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You fool yourself.  And its not my fault. 

For the 27th time on this forum (Back in April, during preseason, after week 5, and now.....no change):

Stroud : Yes

Levis : Probably

Young: No

AR: Incomplete

If you read Strong Levis Supporter. that's on you.

Levis is physically gifted but lacks the between the ears aspect. He stinks.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is, I was being sarcastic, I just don't think you know the history between him and me. I have been ignoring him lately but why even point out someone had a great passer rating when they played like crap. 

BTW, I didn't watch the game...because I'm not a TEN fan nor a HOU fan.  But when I catch the games, I'll assess stuff that goes beyond stats.  

My quick opinion from just the stats is that Levis did not appear to do much to give the game away, yet his team scored 14 points on only 17 pass attempts and 158 yards passing, while the opponent scored 34.  I assume JAX kept the ball a long time and scored on long scoring drives (not short fields).  The coach did not put the ball in Levis' hands.

Stroud threw 3 picks, so I assume he played like Luck....hurt the team, but made up for it enough to win.  Because the coach put the ball in his hands.

But that could be completely wrong.  Its just one story that could be told from the stats.

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Levis is physically gifted but lacks the between the ears aspect. He stinks.

Ok.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, come on. Haven't I earned a little more credit than that?

Coming back to this, there's nothing definitive about posting a stat line. You can read into it whatever you want, just like another poster can do the same. And you could just have a good faith discussion about the topic on the merits, or you can get baited into a bad faith back and forth.

My days of getting baited are over, it is just time for it to end, last week or so I have been really mellow and have let a lot just go over my head. Not worth it anymore. It is good for the forum for everyone to have different opinions and thoughts, everyone should. If I disagree with someone it doesn't make them a bad person. I should have never even responded to Doug's initial post about posting that stat, that is my fault. I come here to have fun and try to bring knowledge to the forum and get my mind off things. Nothing more, nothing less.

To your last paragraph, I was being sarcastic more than anything, I would think you would know that. 

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Stroud threw 3 picks, so I assume he played like Luck....hurt the team, but made up for it enough to win.  Because the coach put the ball in his hands.

Stroud and the Texans were handling the Cards all day. They just got too aggressive and maybe a little too cocky. 

Some of CJ's mistakes were similar to his early season struggles. Which, I mean... rookies you know? 

I'm still sitting here in disbelief at how many QBs from this draft class have been impacting the NFL across the board. I mean they're not just filling in for relief. They're flat out starting games and earning it the hard way. 

I'm proud of these kids. They're hanging in there. The NFL is friggin' hard! 

• Like 4

Stroud has been great and that is who a lot of us really wanted, i thought he sould go #1 with zero chance of falling to us.

I was interested in Bryce but surprised the panthers traded so much to get him.  

Will Levis is just hard to like, he could end up better than AR and i still wont be mad we didnt get him.  He has looked pretty good but not so good that it feels like we blew it yet

1 hour ago, Superman said:

What about doing neither? He's using his feet to run into pressure, and it's right in his face, so how does he not see it? He's also holding the ball too long, standing in the pocket too long, etc. This was evident on his Kentucky tape, also.

He needs to be much quicker making decisions in the pocket, whether he's throwing or running.

Seems like a case of looking through every read instead of moving out of the pocket after about the second read.  Just not enough focus on the rush.

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

BTW, I didn't watch the game...because I'm not a TEN fan nor a HOU fan.  But when I catch the games, I'll assess stuff that goes beyond stats.  

My quick opinion from just the stats is that Levis did not appear to do much to give the game away, yet his team scored 14 points on only 17 pass attempts and 158 yards passing, while the opponent scored 34.  I assume JAX kept the ball a long time and scored on long scoring drives (not short fields).  The coach did not put the ball in Levis' hands.

But that could be completely wrong.  Its just one story that could be told from the stats.

Ok.

Total garbage time stats that gave him the high passer rating. Contributed greatly to them falling behind 27-0 and then 34-7. 

I think Levis may struggle to adapt to an NFL defense who has adapted to his play as more tape becomes available. 

I don’t think Bryce is a bust yet. 

I think Stroud is the real deal. 

AR is the most dynamic but until he shows he can stay healthy it doesn’t matter. Really hope he’s not made of glass, but I am worried. I think he has all the tools, work ethic, and smarts to be an elite QB. Doesn’t matter if he doesn’t play. 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Have you watched Levis play in any of these games?

His first two...and those are the games I've commented on.  The ones I saw he hardly tried to run at all, which I thought was different than how much he seemed to run in college. 

I agree with what you are saying about other games in not deciding quicker.  The games I saw he took some sacks because his eyes were obviously looking past the rusher and looking for throwing targets. 

I'd say that he needs to learn to extend the play quicker if he's always going to look to pass.  Whether or not Vrabel should call designed runs I have no opinion.   

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Total garbage time stats that gave him the high passer rating. Contributed greatly to them falling behind 27-0 and then 34-7. 

That doesn't make sense to me.   What did TEN do all game?  They only threw 17 times.  I'd think garbage time stats would have him throwing at least 25 to 30 times.

If Jax went up 27-0 with no picks from Levis, I assume TEN went 3 and out alot?  If so, with only 17 attempts, they must have ran DH on 1st and 2nd downs then asked Levis to convert 3rd and long?  Only 4 incompletions the whole game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That doesn't make sense to me.   What did TEN do all game?  They only threw 17 times.  I'd think garbage time stats would have him throwing at least 25 to 30 times.

If Jax went up 27-0 with no picks from Levis, I assume TEN went 3 and out alot?  If so, with only 17 attempts, they must have ran DH on 1st and 2nd downs then asked Levis to convert 3rd and long?  Only 4 incompletions the whole game.

It is a weird box score. Henry didn’t have that many Carrie’s either. Doesn’t look like they turned it over. So did jags have long sustained drives that 8 up clock and like you said a lot of 3 and outs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It is a weird box score. Henry didn’t have that many Carrie’s either. Doesn’t look like they turned it over. So did jags have long sustained drives that 8 up clock and like you said a lot of 3 and outs.

Yeah.  That's what I eluded to above.  Looks like JAX just held the ball, and TENs defense couldn't get off the field.  

And Vrabel did not ask Levis to throw it....may have made it worse, LOL.   But lots of 3 and outs is what I saw in the first two games.  His first game was great because of the 4 bomb TDs, but was inefficient because TEN did not have sustained drives. 

Looks like Vrabel is keeping Levis managed, for good reason at this point.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

First drive, three plays, Levis got sacked on 3rd and 2. Second drive, four plays, Levis fumbled the snap on 2nd and 10. Third drive, THIRTEEN PLAYS, 34 yards, and PUNTED on 4th and 14, from the +40 yard line. 

They weren't just running on first down, but they had trouble moving the ball regardless. Levis wasn't throwing the ball away, but he wasn't producing either. And their defense couldn't get off the field. By the time the Titans scored, it was late in the third quarter, and the Jags had 27 points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

If you watched the game , you would better understand why many are saying Levis was not good despite the guady passer rating. 

• Like 1

Off topic: @Superman are you going to do a write up on the QB prospects this draft like last year? I know we're not looking for a QB this season and fully understand if you can't be bothered - I just enjoyed it a lot!

Back on topic.

This talk of pocket awareness has me thinking it's gotta be one of the main things scouts look for in QB prospects, right? A guy like Minshew is still terrible in that area and if Levis can't somehow improve there he's going to end up as a backup level QB I think.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Off topic: @Superman are you going to do a write up on the QB prospects this draft like last year? I know we're not looking for a QB this season and fully understand if you can't be bothered - I just enjoyed it a lot!

Back on topic.

This talk of pocket awareness has me thinking it's gotta be one of the main things scouts look for in QB prospects, right? A guy like Minshew is still terrible in that area and if Levis can't somehow improve there he's going to end up as a backup level QB I think.

I don't know, I might do a couple. I've already watched a ton of Caleb Williams, and a decent amount of Drake Maye.

And yeah, pocket presence has to be way up there on the list of QB traits. It's so pronounced lately. We watcha  ton of talented, athletic, big armed QBs every week, even these replacement level guys like Tommy Devito and Tyson Bagent are super talented. But it's clear how deficient most of them are working the pocket. And many of us fans probably take it for granted, having watched Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, etc., mostly dominate from the pocket for the last 20 years. That savvy in the face of pass rush is lacking for a lot of these new QBs, and I think it's a big reason so many of them don't last. Even Dak Prescott seemed to be uncomfortable in the pocket, making bad decisions, earlier this season. And I don't know what's worse -- Minshew bailing before he needs to, or Levis standing in for way too long. Neither makes for good offense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

I don't know, I might do a couple. I've already watched a ton of Caleb Williams, and a decent amount of Drake Maye.

And yeah, pocket presence has to be way up there on the list of QB traits. It's so pronounced lately. We watcha  ton of talented, athletic, big armed QBs every week, even these replacement level guys like Tommy Devito and Tyson Bagent are super talented. But it's clear how deficient most of them are working the pocket. And many of us fans probably take it for granted, having watched Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, etc., mostly dominate from the pocket for the last 20 years. That savvy in the face of pass rush is lacking for a lot of these new QBs, and I think it's a big reason so many of them don't last. Even Dak Prescott seemed to be uncomfortable in the pocket, making bad decisions, earlier this season. And I don't know what's worse -- Minshew bailing before he needs to, or Levis standing in for way too long. Neither makes for good offense.

I’m curious, what’s your current opinion of Caleb Williams? I’m torn between the hype and the actual play. I’ve only seen 4 of his games but he’s not impressed me as this generational talent he was billed as

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m curious, what’s your current opinion of Caleb Williams? I’m torn between the hype and the actual play. I’ve only seen 4 of his games but he’s not impressed me as this generational talent he was billed as

I agree with you however his pocket presents and ability to pass on the run reminds me of Mahomes. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I have no questions about his talent, he's as good as anyone we've seen recently. I might have some questions about his willingness to play within the structure of the offense. He's a gunslinger who wants to make the big play, and I don't know how much that's about the pressure of trying to win with a struggling OL and terrible defense, and how much that's about trying to win another Heisman.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well I hope you do a write up, at least for the few you've watched.

I agree we've probably taken it for granted, but nevermind the "being savvy in the face of pass rush is lacking", for some of these guys it looks like it's not even a blip on their radar. It doesn't exist until they're on the ground. It's so weird to watch.

From watching Minshew it's pretty clear it's been a topic of discussion between him and the coaches after all those sacks/fumbles. But going from being unaware to seeing ghosts obviously isn't the solution. Here's to hoping they've been working on that during the bye week and it's something that's just a little coachable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not really sure what this post is supposed to mean? I guess you are pointing out Levis had a great Passer Rating? I am one that is on record already, stating Passer Rating makes no sense to me and doesn't measure at to me how well a QB plays. Levis still played badly and anyone that watched the game would know this. I am not here to bash him, read my posts above. Not here to debate or argue about him, I am done doing that with people regarding Levis, it is a waste of time. I watched almost the whole game. He had 2 garbage TD's when the game was already over in a blos, and he looked erratic all day. His best and long TD was on a trick play. He had several passes that could have been picked off as well (2 INT's were dropped, another, a bogus roughing call took 1 away) + he fumbled once. Context means something. 

You really need to ignore a few here.

That QB rating is misleading.  Anyone watching the Tennessee game would see that. I was busy with my sister who was visiting from Georgia, but I happened to check the game in the 3rd quarter. Levis had not done anything. I think he barely threw for 100 yards. By the time he threw those TDs, especially the second one, it was probably garbage time.

Now, Brock Purdy's QB rating was legit. He looked great. And his team won the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have no questions about his talent, he's as good as anyone we've seen recently. I might have some questions about his willingness to play within the structure of the offense. He's a gunslinger who wants to make the big play, and I don't know how much that's about the pressure of trying to win with a struggling OL and terrible defense, and how much that's about trying to win another Heisman.

Any decent game managers? I am not a fan of gunslingers. How would you describe Maye? From what I have read, I may prefer him over the others. The Vikes need to draft a QB.

58 minutes ago, dw49 said:

If you watched the game , you would better understand why many are saying Levis was not good despite the guady passer rating. 

Oh I get it.  That passer rating is kind of wonky anyway with only 17 attempts, so I didn't think it was saying he had a great game.  BTW, I didn't start any convo about passer rating AFAIK.  I know stats need context, so I posted the info I had, which was much more than the rating.

I think the bottom line is that TEN's offense is bad.  A combo of a rookie QB, no weapons at receiver other than an aging DHop, injured oline, and who knows if DH has lost a step.  It seems like TENs defense couldn't get off the field.  Making for a 3-7 team and a top 10 pick probably.  

Its interesting that despite TEN falling behind, Vrabel didn't appear to have Levis sling it around (17 attempts?).  What I've seen is bad short passing game (no gains) and Levis holding the ball waiting for something to develop down field on the longer pass plays.  Going on the 4th game now.   Yet Vrabel has made Levis the starter.  Seems like the offense is staying in a predetermined box the rest of the year.  Almost like where we thought SS would do with AR, sort of an introduction to the NFL type of season.

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Well I hope you do a write up, at least for the few you've watched.

I agree we've probably taken it for granted, but nevermind the "being savvy in the face of pass rush is lacking", for some of these guys it looks like it's not even a blip on their radar. It doesn't exist until they're on the ground. It's so weird to watch.

From watching Minshew it's pretty clear it's been a topic of discussion between him and the coaches after all those sacks/fumbles. But going from being unaware to seeing ghosts obviously isn't the solution. Here's to hoping they've been working on that during the bye week and it's something that's just a little coachable.

If he's going "1, 2, escape," and it's deliberate, we can probably work with and build around that. That's better than "1... 2... 3... sack/fumble." And to his credit, in the Pats game, he had his eyes downfield and had a shot at a handful of plays on the run. He just missed all of them, until he finally connected with Downs.

But it doesn't seem deliberate, it seems panicked. We'll see what it looks like next game. I don't know if you can go half-field reads all game long, every week, but you can at least establish some rhythm and give yourself on shot on third downs.

• Like 1