Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Jags post game thread

GoColts8818

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yeah, when I saw that chart I also pointed it out - he had very few passes to his left. He REALLY needs to fix that or defenses are going to have it easy defending him.

That said AR played better than I expected - average or not. Few rookie QBs ball out game 1.

There are obviously a lot of things he can do better, but a lot of those things he'll learn through experience - not looking at film or by studying a playbook.

The main thing for AR this season is to do better the last few weeks of the season than he did the first few. While we all like to see wins but that's just secondary this year and fans who think we're going anywhere this season are kidding themselves.

Yes, I knew another poster pointed it out.  Didn't know it was you.  But your comment was ignored by most and the discussion fell flat.  It should probably be lifted up for further discussion and observation as the season progresses.

• Like 1

I don't have the all-22 but I saw several cases where Richardson ignored free crossers in the short range in favor of waiting for things downfield to develop and then nothing materialized. To be honest one of them is so egregious that I would imagine it would be teaching tape for him. IMO Steichen will show it to him and tell him - just take it... 

He was also a tick late on some throws... For example, the completion to Alec Pierce could have been a big opportunity for catch and run if he threw it early, but he waited for deeper routes and by the time he threw it, the defender was already barrelling down Pierce's chest... 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't have the all-22 but I saw several cases where Richardson ignored free crossers in the short range in favor of waiting for things downfield to develop and then nothing materialized. To be honest one of them is so eggregious that I would imagine it would be teaching tape for him. IMO Steichen will show it to him and tell him - just take it... 

He was also a tick late on some throws... For example, the completion to Alec Pierce could have been a big opportunity for catch and run if he threw it early, but he waited for deeper routes and by the time he threw it, the defender was already barrelling down Pierce's chest... 

I think this is indicative of him reverting to what’s comfortable for him - Deep shots completions. I think what we witnessed was him trying to exercise some demons on the field which is being comfortable with what the defense gives you. 

I think when he watches the tape he’ll definitely be more cognizant of taking the easy stuff and protecting himself better. 

14 hours ago, joeb said:

I would like to agree with that. It's 1 game only. The audition went pretty good. He won't last past the end of September if he doesn't start sliding. He took some good shots.

Did you watch Josh Allen last night?  i have a friend who is a bills fan and told him it reminded me of Luck.  That guy is not going to be in the league very long if he keeps being reckless like that.   

With our experience with Luck, they better be warning AR of it daily.

13 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

I think this is indicative of him reverting to what’s comfortable for him - Deep shots completions. I think what we witnessed was him trying to exercise some demons on the field which is being comfortable with what the defense gives you. 

I think when he watches the tape he’ll definitely be more cognizant of taking the easy stuff and protecting himself better. 

Yeah, Peyton did that, Luck did that, looking farther than underneath first. Not necessarily a bad thing if you can buy time in the pocket. Rivers and Brady, more than other QBs, hit the underneath guys in stride for YAC more often.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrongly, or you are blending some thoughts, but are you blaming SS for AR not throwing the ball to wide open WRs down the field more?....and falling short of criticizing the Colts new WonderKid.    Failure to see the field would be on the QB...assuming he has that adequate time to throw.

According to the chart that was posted somewhere on this forum, 31 of ARs 37 pass attempts went to the right and mostly short.  That's passing to about 25% to 33% of the field.  One of his few throws to the left, and with a bit longer air yards, was the pick...which was a bad underthrow.

Sorry that I seem to be the first one to bring it up.

Either AR did not see the field, chose to take the easy plays, or SS knew his QBs limitations and called a game for passing plays to the right and short.  Probably a combo of both at those point until AR gets more comfortable.

For what it's worth it was his first game. We knew this was going to be a work in progress. It could have been a train wreck. Also coach's first game too. We need a running game. Jackson was awful.

32 minutes ago, joeb said:

For what it's worth it was his first game. We knew this was going to be a work in progress. It could have been a train wreck. Also coach's first game too. We need a running game. Jackson was awful.

Agree, its not like he really out performed expectations, or fell short.  We thought his strongest suit was poise and pocket presence, and his weakest accuracy and maybe throwing confidence.  He played as expected, IMO.   Unfortunately, the right-now is probably losing NFL football, which we will all likely accept this season.  

Lawrence completed two throws that an NFL QB needs to complete.  The scramble left for a TD in the end zone, and pocket-to-intermediate pass to Ridley in a tight window that he almost took to the house.  Big chunk plays to move the field position and could only be completed by a quality NFL throw.   Lets hope AR gets his accuracy/confidence there soon.  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I don't have the all-22 but I saw several cases where Richardson ignored free crossers in the short range in favor of waiting for things downfield to develop and then nothing materialized. To be honest one of them is so egregious that I would imagine it would be teaching tape for him. IMO Steichen will show it to him and tell him - just take it... 

That was very common for him to do in Florida. Some good learning experiences are going to happen this season. The W/L column won't show it this season. 

Back from Indy and after experience my first Colts game in person, I was not disappointed!  Surprisingly there are lots of things to do near the stadium that are all in walking distance.  Yea we lost, but we weren’t supposed to win anyways.  Yes I wanted a win, but seeing how Anthony Richardson played in his first game was a win for me.  Will definitely go back as time and circumstances allow.

The only downside were the Jags fans.  Every fan I ran into were nice and chill, and even gave up a seat at the bar.  They made it very hard to hate on the Jags during my time in Indy lol.

All in all, my takeaways are about the same as a lot of users here:

• The Oline played decent, but there needs to be improvement for sure.  The pocket collapsed more times than I would like, but it was not a complete disaster like this previous year.

• Deon Jackson…Just no 

· Zaire Franklin is looking for another raise.  Not sure how we will be able to pay him and Grove and eventually Buckner without doing something with Leonards contract

· Anthony Richardson showed that he can play in this league.  Based on how all of these expert portrayed Richardson, he should not have looked as good as he did.  Happy for him, but get the man some help please

At the end of the day, are we surprised that the Jaguars won? I for one am not.  Calvin Ridley did exactly what was expected against our secondary.  Other than that, we shot ourselves in the foot.

Nice win against a "playoff team" and not having our best player

On 9/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, csmopar said:

Smith and Kelly had quiet solid games, Nelson still doesn’t look himself. 

Nelson hasn't looked himself since his big contract.  If he is injured to the point that his play is having an effect on how the O-line protects our QB then somthing has to change.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Nelson hasn't looked himself since his big contract.  If he is injured to the point that his play is having an effect on how the O-line protects our QB then somthing has to change.

Remember it’s only the first game with a new OL coach.  I’m sure they’re doing things differently than last year.  The line was a question mark entering the season.  They are off to a promising start I would say.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Remember it’s only the first game with a new OL coach.  I’m sure they’re doing things differently than last year.  The line was a question mark entering the season.  They are off to a promising start I would say.

Good point

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agree, its not like he really out performed expectations, or fell short.  We thought his strongest suit was poise and pocket presence, and his weakest accuracy and maybe throwing confidence.  He played as expected, IMO.   Unfortunately, the right-now is probably losing NFL football, which we will all likely accept this season.  

Lawrence completed two throws that an NFL QB needs to complete.  The scramble left for a TD in the end zone, and pocket-to-intermediate pass to Ridley in a tight window that he almost took to the house.  Big chunk plays to move the field position and could only be completed by a quality NFL throw.   Lets hope AR gets his accuracy/confidence there soon.  

I felt like the rookie play calling was AR down fall.(Shane) Thought I was watching a Friday night lights high school football team. Maybe I'm wrong. It felt like that. I'm not putting Shane down or any Colt just saying that is what the game felt like.. Please forgive me if I tick anyone off..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 4:34 PM, 1959Colts said:

Offense performance was up and down.

Richardson looks good. Showed some poise. A few inaccurate throws, but a good amount on target. His running ability is outstanding. Considering his age and lack of playing time in college, his first game in the NFL... Quite impressive.

I heard that in over 90% of passing plays, AR did not even look left.   Coaches will also have seen that, so it may get ugly.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I heard that in over 90% of passing plays, AR did not even look left.   Coaches will also have seen that, so it may get ugly.

Probably, since he was running for his life, he didn't have time to look around!

...but seriously, AR is going to have to be coached up a lot. His not looking left seems to me from inexperience

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

His INT came on a throw to the left.

Definitely something to monitor, but someone posted (4) QBs pass distribution charts somewhere.

All 4 of those guys were pretty similar. Not many throws to the left.

That was just a (4) QB comparison, I'm sure more look that way as well.

On 9/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Quoting Chloe to show the chart. 

ARs passes were concentrated to the right.  Other Qbs in this comparison had much better disbursal.  I don't know why the X-er chose to compare AR with Mahomes, etc.  I guess he was trying to make a counter point about the throws being short...but he didn't notice they were also to the right compared to the others.

Drawing a line bisecting the hash marks, I count only 8 of (is it 37?) throws to the left of that line.  Obviously, its something that can't continue all season long.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Quoting Chloe to show the chart. 

ARs passes were concentrated to the right.  Other Qbs in this comparison had much better disbursal.  I don't know why the X-er chose to compare AR with Mahomes, etc.  I guess he was trying to make a counter point about the throws being short...but he didn't notice they were also to the right compared to the others.

Drawing a line bisecting the hash marks, I count only 8 of 37 throws to the left of that line.  Obviously, its something that can't continue all season long.

True. I do think that was directed at the AR naysayers who want to discount his higher than expected % completion rate to shorter throws when it has become typical in the NFL. Plus, Ds reacting tend to start out seasons faster unless it is an experienced offense with continuity led by experienced QBs.

Yes, it did bring up an unintended consequence of the chart, where the distribution was one sided. Pittman was lined up more often to the left, and then when they moved him to the right, better things started happening. I remember Luck coming back from injuries and Frank Reich had him throw short a lot vs the Bengals in game 1 for a high completion percentage. Similarly, Steichen's game plan was to protect the rookie on that front and you will see things open up more, that addresses the short throw aspect.

The blind side avoidance for throws, that is something the coaches will work on. These are the things we fans and coaches too, will pick apart and where we like to see improvements made. 

• Like 2

Just now, chad72 said:

True. I do think that was directed at the AR naysayers who want to discount his higher than expected % completion rate to shorter throws when it has become typical in the NFL. Plus, Ds reacting tend to start out seasons faster unless it is an experienced offense with continuity led by experienced QBs.

Yes, it did bring up an unintended consequence of the chart, where the distribution was one sided. Pittman was lined up more often to the left, and then when they moved him to the right, better things started happening. I remember Luck coming back from injuries and Frank Reich had him throw short a lot vs the Bengals in game 1 for a high completion percentage. Similarly, Steichen's game plan was to protect the rookie on that front and you will see things open up more, that addresses the short throw aspect.

The blind side avoidance for throws, that is something the coaches will work on. These are the things we fans and coaches too, will pick apart and where we like to see improvements made. 

Sure.  This could be simply a SS strategy to get AR comfortable.  After one game it should not be a criticism, but it should be context for folks wanting to judge his performance.

Does HOU stud pass rusher play over Smith?   Oops.

I count:(left hash and further)

Richardson - (7) passes to left   7/37 18.9%

Mahomes - (12) passes to left   12/39 30.7%

Herbert - (10) passes to left    10/33 30.3%

Jackson - (10) passes to left.  10/22 45.4% *** could have more, looks like a few might be stacked.

Another way to look at it.

Richardson almost 2 per 10 passes to the left

Mahomes 3 per 10 passes to the left

Herbert 3 per 10 passes to the left

Jackson 4.5 per 10 passes to the left

So, yeah, a decent gap in % of passes thrown to the left vs those other 4. Not anything to read into at that moment, I don't think though.

This is only a breakdown of 4/32 QBs as well.

Would like to compare them to some others, Stroud, Young, among others.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

I count:(left hash and further)

Richardson - (7) passes to left   7/37 18.9%

Mahomes - (12) passes to left   12/39 30.7%

Herbert - (10) passes to left    10/33 30.3%

Jackson - (10) passes to left.  10/22 45.4% *** could have more, looks like a few might be stacked.

Another way to look at it.

Richardson almost 2 per 10 passes to the left

Mahomes 3 per 10 passes to the left

Herbert 3 per 10 passes to the left

Jackson 4.5 per 10 passes to the left

So, yeah, a decent gap in % of passes thrown to the left vs those other 4. Not anything to read into at that moment, I don't think though.

This is only a breakdown of 4/32 QBs as well.

Would like to compare them to some others, Stroud, Young, among others.

Having looked closer, this is what I count.   Passes to the: Left/Right

AR: 6/31

PM: 16/19

JH: 15/16

LJ: 13/9

Maybe we're not counting the same things?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Having looked closer, this is what I count.   Passes to the: Left/Right

AR: 6/31

PM: 16/19

JH: 15/16

LJ: 13/9

Maybe we're not counting the same things?

Yeah, good call.

I didn't click on the tweet and count them zoomed in on the pic. I was just counting what we can see from the tweet screen of all 4, so anything over 20yds wasn't in my counts.

Definitely have Richardson at 7 though. I count the one on the hash line.

So I guess I have AR at:

7 left

1 middle

29 right

Jackson seems to prefer the left side over the right side.

Again though, like in my last post, I want to see the comparisons with the other rookies. Not 3 of the best QBs in the league, especially after game 1.

I'm with Chloe on this one. I think that was probably by design, ease him in a little. Bring targets into his arm side.

Team obviously thinks that is something he needs to work on though, as the INT confirmed it.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 10:29 AM, Fluke_33 said:

Did you watch Josh Allen last night?  i have a friend who is a bills fan and told him it reminded me of Luck.  That guy is not going to be in the league very long if he keeps being reckless like that.   

With our experience with Luck, they better be warning AR of it daily.

Allen was too reckless, he needs to look out, he really does. He's good enough that someone will really want to punish him if they get the chance and he keeps giving it to them.

• Like 1