Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 53 Man Roster

w87r

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are three WRs on the practice squad that probably would have made sense as a 5th WR. If there's an injury I'm sure one of them will get called up, but they only dress 4 WRs on game day so it's not really a big deal. 

We're actually heavy on defense. There are 23 offensive players on the active roster, and that includes 3 QBs. Then 27 defensive players, including 6 corners and 7 LBs. So I think if the roster starts to balance out, some of the reductions will come from those two positions, not necessarily from TE. Keeping 4 TEs is pretty typical, but I do wonder what they'll do if everyone is still healthy when Jelani Woods is ready.

Ok! I thought we used to dress 5 WR last season? Paris, Pittman, Dulin, Pierce, and Strachan or somebody else if we didn't play Strachan.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

There are three WRs on the practice squad that probably would have made sense as a 5th WR. If there's an injury I'm sure one of them will get called up, but they only dress 4 WRs on game day so it's not really a big deal. 

We're actually heavy on defense. There are 23 offensive players on the active roster, and that includes 3 QBs. Then 27 defensive players, including 6 corners and 7 LBs. So I think if the roster starts to balance out, some of the reductions will come from those two positions, not necessarily from TE. Keeping 4 TEs is pretty typical, but I do wonder what they'll do if everyone is still healthy when Jelani Woods is ready.

Dallas Flowers looks fast and ready.

Our CB room is growing on me. And I really like our DL.

Hopefully we go 4-4 on 4th down. AR in short yardage is going to be very telling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Dallas Flowers looks fast and ready.

Our CB room is growing on me. And I really like our DL.

Hopefully we go 4-4 on 4th down. AR in short yardage is going to be very telling.

I think our corners are going to get torched right away. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think our corners are going to get torched right away. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

What a reach!

Flowers looks very twitchy and is extremely fast. I expect him to learn fast.

We are fast on the other side also.

Few CB's don't take a number of beats these days. Two TD passes is to be expected. Four is another story.

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

What a reach!

Flowers looks very twitchy and is extremely fast. I expect him to learn fast.

We are fast on the other side also.

Few CB's don't take a number of beats these days. Two TD passes is to be expected. Four is another story.  

The traits are there for Bradley's defense, and I think his defense lends well to learning on the job. But he already likes to give up completions, and young corners make mistakes. I think the secondary can improve week by week, but I think it's going to be a weak spot overall. 

And I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new DC in 2024 anyways.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Superman said:

There will be moments but I don't think it's going to be as bad as what most expect. I think the DL is going to bring more pressure this year. I like what we have there to help the corners out.

29 minutes ago, krunk said:

There will be moments but I don't think it's going to be as bad as what most expect. I think the DL is going to bring more pressure this year. I like what we have there to help the corners out.

What's the betting line on when one of our rookie corners takes over a starting job?  And under what conditions?

Will it be before game 8?  After?  And will it be due to injury?  Or performance?

Right now, I'm seeing the standard thing we do with this team every year, where we have some kind of great hope in the performance of a couple of guys that are either undrafted free agents or bottom of the barrel castoffs, and then be suddenly disappointed when they don't perform.  It's the same thing, whether we're talking Jonathan Davenport or Darrell Baker.

I can't wait until our actual draft choices start taking over.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

What's the betting line on when one of our rookie corners takes over a starting job?  And under what conditions?

Will it be before game 8?  After?  And will it be due to injury?  Or performance?

Right now, I'm seeing the standard thing we do with this team every year, where we have some kind of great hope in the performance of a couple of guys that are either undrafted free agents or bottom of the barrel castoffs, and then be suddenly disappointed when they don't perform.  It's the same thing, whether we're talking Jonathan Davenport or Darrell Baker.

I can't wait until our actual draft choices start taking over.

We shall see this Sunday. What are you prepared to do if it works? We play zone so it's not like we are playing man all the time. Zone corners don't always have to be big names and high draft picks. I understand the concern though. All I can say right now is I do like Dallas Flowers quite a bit.  And I can tell you in Reichs first year with Luck when we made it to the playoffs most of our corners weren't big names or high round draft picks either. And one of them is still on the team now. I'm going to let Ballard and Bradley show me what they saw.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

We shall see this Sunday. What are you prepared to do if it works? We play zone so it's not like we are playing man all the time. Zone corners don't always have to be big names and high draft picks. I understand the concern though. All I can say right now is I do like Dallas Flowers quite a bit.  And I can tell you in Reichs first year with Luck when we made it to the playoffs most of our corners weren't big names or high round draft picks either. And one of them is still on the team now. I'm going to let Ballard and Bradley show me what they saw.

Agreed.  The roster is what the roster is.  We made a philosophical change this year -- a youth movement geared more towards teaching the young guys how to play this game, rather than relying on snaggle-toothed veterans to try to squeeze out that one last run for the playoffs.  The ride is gonna be bumpy for a while.  But I hope, at the end of this season, we'll have given a lot of young guys a lot of playing time, in preparation for the longer haul.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

What's McKenzie talking about here? Anyone know?

I actually saw a tweet late last night that had something to do with this, didn't read to much into it at the time though. Didn't know he had posted this at the time.

Social media.... If this is about not starting, why do people think it's a good idea to rush to social media and say these kind of things?

If you didn't feel the trust before, this isn't going to help.

Now I need to try and find that post, pretty sure it mentioned Downs as well?  

Might need the help of our resident "X" expert @Restinpeacesweetchloeto help find it?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bravo said:

This could be unrelated to football. Just feels like it isn’t. Was posted shortly after the depth chart was released.

Why do players hate playing for the Colts!? Lol

He was released 8 days ago and re-signed 7 days ago.  If he really hated playing for the Colts, then he wouldn't have came back.

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Agreed.  The roster is what the roster is.  We made a philosophical change this year -- a youth movement geared more towards teaching the young guys how to play this game, rather than relying on snaggle-toothed veterans to try to squeeze out that one last run for the playoffs.  The ride is gonna be bumpy for a while.  But I hope, at the end of this season, we'll have given a lot of young guys a lot of playing time, in preparation for the longer haul.

Baker Jr all I can say right now is I like his measurable at 6ft 1inch with a 4.43 40 and a 41 inch vertical.https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Darrell-BakerJr-CB-GeorgiaSouthern

Lawrence Owen seemed to like both of them quite a bit when he did his break down. Flowers and Baker Jr

I also like the potential of Jaylon Jones and Julius Brents.

We will know more after Sunday.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bravo said:

This could be unrelated to football. Just feels like it isn’t. Was posted shortly after the depth chart was released.

Why do players hate playing for the Colts!? Lol

He was with the Bills for years and never set the world on fire. He's gotta earn our trust to receive it. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Still gotta play the game. 

What game?

Air grievances about employer on social media, game? Not a good game to play, especially when you're a league minimum guy.

I was saying, posting about not feeling the trust isn't going to help him earn it, actually probably decreases the trust more.

Anyway let's get this thread back to Taylor.

There is already brief discussion about this topic in 53 Man Roster thread. Probably move post over there, to not take this anymore off topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

What game?

Air grievances about employer on social media, game? Not a good game to play, especially when you're a league minimum guy.

I was saying, posting about not feeling the trust isn't going to help him earn it, actually probably decreases the trust more.

Anyway let's get this thread back to Taylor.

There is already brief discussion about this topic in 53 Man Roster thread. Probably move post over there, to not take this anymore off topic.

Sorry our wires got crossed LOL. I was agreeing with you. 

My comment was that he needs to be quiet and physically play the game of football. Put those emotions on the field and let his play do the talking kind of thing. 

EDIT: I should add to explain my original response: if he wants the Colts to trust him, he needs to establish that he's trusted on the field by playing his heart out and helping Anthony. If he becomes a reliable target for AR, then he'll have received trust. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Sorry our wires got crossed LOL. I was agreeing with you. 

My comment was that he needs to be quiet and physically play the game of football. Put those emotions on the field and let his play do the talking kind of thing. 

EDIT: I should add to explain my original response: if he wants the Colts to trust him, he needs to establish that he's trusted on the field by playing his heart out and helping Anthony. If he becomes a reliable target for AR, then he'll have received trust. 

You were good, I understood you(1st response), I just think you took what I was saying wrong(which I didn't articulate very well, with what I quoted), which is why I put what I meant with a little more context, while asking what game.

I didn't think you meant the social media game, but had to make sure.

Just don't think, if you're(McKenzie) not feeling the trust, rushing to social media and posting about it, isn't going to help you get it.

I really don't even think he needs to show it on the field, to gain the trust, to be honest. He does but he already has earned it. They made him 1 of our 4 WRs, that says they trust him to me. Always have to prove yourself though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just don't think, if you're(McKenzie) not feeling the trust, rushing to social media and posting about it, isn't going to help you get it.

It's a very weird comment to make for sure. I've worked for plenty of places that I didn't like. Never went on social media to complain. But I guess I'm just built different... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It's a very weird comment to make for sure. I've worked for plenty of places that I didn't like. Never went on social media to complain. But I guess I'm just built different... 

I have a hard time believing it isn't football related.

If not, then with no context, it will be perceived that way.

• Like 1

Updated: 

Colts roster:(53)

Offense:(23)

QB:(3)

Anthony Richardson 

Gardner Minshew 

Sam Ehlinger

RB:(3)

Zach Moss

Deon Jackson

Jake Funk

WR:(4)

Michael Pittman Jr

Alec Pierce

Josh Downs

Isaiah McKenzie 

TE:(4)

Mo Alie-Cox

Kylen Granson

Andrew Ogletree

Will Mallory 

OT:(4)

Bernard Raimann

Braden Smith

Blake Freeland 

Ryan Hayes

OG:(3)

Quenton Nelson

Will Fries

Josh Sills

OC:(2)

Ryan Kelly

Wesley French

Defense:(27)

DE:(6)

Kwity Paye

Dayo Odeyingbo

Samson Ebukam

Tyquan Lewis

Jacob Martin

Isaiah Land

DT:(5)

Deforest Buckner

Grover Stewart

Taven Bryan

Adetomiwa Adebawore

Eric Johnson 

LB:(6)

Shaq Leonard

Zaire Franklin

EJ Speed

Segun Olubi

Grant Stuard

Cameron McGrone

CB:(6)

Darrell Baker Jr 

Dallis Flowers

Kenny Moore

Jaylon Jones

JuJu Brents 

Tony Brown

S:(4)

Rodney Thomas II

Julian Blackmon

Nick Cross

Trevor Denbow

SPT:(3)

K:(1)

Matt Gay

P:(1)

Rigoberto Sanchez 

LS:(1)

Luke Rhodes

Suspension List:

Chris Lammons(3 game suspension)

PUP:

Johnathon Taylor

Practice Squad:(17)

Tyler Goodson, RB

Amari Rodgers, WR

Juwann Winfree, WR

D.J. Montgomery, WR

Racey McMath WR

Arlington Hambright, G/T

Jack Anderson, G/C (injured)

Ike Boettger, G

Lewis Kidd, G

Al-Quadin Muhammad, DE

McKelvin Agim, DT

Liam Anderson, LB

Darren Hall, CB

Isaac Taylor-Stuart, CB

Henry Black, S

Ronnie Harrison Jr., S

Marcel Dabo, S (International Exemption)

IR:(* eligible to return)

Jalani Woods(TE) *Eligible to Return

Evan Hull(RB) * Eligible to Return 

IR:(Out for season)

Daniel Scott(S)

Jake Witt(T)

Michael Tutsie(S)

Ashton Dulin(WR)

Genard Avery(DE)

Malik Turner(WR) 

Danny Pinter(C)

Titus Leo(DE)

Will keep it updated as season moves along.

• Thanks 1