Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Preseason Game 1: Colts @ Bills, Aug. 12, 1PM ET

NFLfan

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bills Dline is small. They are penetrators and play that Tampa D. If our Oline the way it is built doesn't take them to the woodshed, then be very worried. 

You mean the front that is built to get after the Quarterback?  Small DL don't take people on 1 on 1, they shoot gaps

and motor past big guys.  They have a pretty active front .

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think they will keep Minshew no matter what. He is a veteran and the goal is to develop Richardson and Minshew helps with that. Winning games is secondary and Ehlinger is a nice guy but  has no value over Minshew as I see it.

Minshew made a case for being the starter today.  Half as many passes as AR but more yards.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Well, I'm one that is watching for Freeland to play better at RT than Pinter or Fries at RG.  Then possibly slide Smith to RG and that could improve the oline.   I expect it to take a while.

That's a lot of money to pay your guards, but Steichen may need to in order to save Ballard's butt. We can go back and  forth on Ballard and excuse him for the current state of the Colts, as many do on this forum.  However, the one thing he can not escape is the current state of this Oline. If it fails, that is totally on him, and he emphasized the building of the trenches when he took over the team. He has poured in a ton of assets into the Oline, which seems to be going backward at an epic rate since 2022, and u can also consider  2021 if u consider pass protection. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

You mean the front that is built to get after the Quarterback?  Small DL don't take people on 1 on 1, they shoot gaps

and motor past big guys.  They have a pretty active front .

Go back and the Colts have had good success running at this Dline as have most teams. They r susceptible to the run. When our Oline was playing up to their talent, they mowed them down. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Go back and the Colts have had good success running at this Dline as have most teams. They r susceptible to the run. When our Oline was playing up to their talent, they mowed them down. 

Our problem last year was pass blocking.  Im saying we did a really good job of keeping him clean against an active front.

I wasn't speaking about run blocking.

Just now, krunk said:

Our problem last year was pass blocking.  Im saying we did a really good job of keeping him clean against an active front.

I wasn't speaking about run 

Their problem last year was both pass and run blocking . I don't take a lot from preseason. I think practices against other teams will tell us more.  

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That's a lot of money to pay your guards, but Steichen may need to in order to save Ballard's butt. We can go back and  forth on Ballard and excuse him for the current state of the Colts, as many do on this forum.  However, the one thing he can not escape is the current state of this Oline. If it fails, that is totally on him, and he emphasized the building of the trenches when he took over the team. He has poured in a ton of assets into the Oline, which seems to be going backward at an epic rate since 2022, and u can also consider  2021 if u consider pass protection. 

Maybe this year it would be expensive.  I don't recall Smith's contract specifically, but I think as the cap goes up its going to look more like near-elite G money than OT money.  Assuming Freeland at RT decidedly outplays Pinter and Fries at RG. the Colts would have both OTs on rookie deals and the Gs on elite money.  That would be wonky, but it could smooth out the problems created recently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Maybe this year it would be expensive.  I don't recall Smith's contract specifically, but I think as the cap goes up its going to look more like near-elite G money than OT money.  Assuming Freeland at RT decidedly outplays Pinter and Fries at RG. the Colts would have both OTs on rookie deals and the Gs on elite money.  That would be wonky, but it could smooth out the problems created recently. 

Agreed 100% most teams have big money to the OT but if we have both on rookie deals and money to Guards and it SOLVES the issue no reason not to do it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seeing how many times the other 3 rookie QB took sacks it was really impressive Richardson didn’t get sacked.

I like that you have to play Richardson a bit different too because he will take off on you.  The defense has to watch how they rush him.  They can't just pin their ears back as much as some of these other QBs. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Bills Dline is small. They are penetrators and play that Tampa D. If our Oline the way it is built doesn't take them to the woodshed, then be very worried. 

I think this was born out in our 41-17? win over them in that one regular season game.  JT had a big day and the scoop was that its because you can take the Bills Dline on straight up. 

I don't know if that had impact on today's game though if there were not a lot of power-ish run play calls. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think this was born out in our 41-17? win over them in that one regular season game.  JT had a big day and the scoop was that its because you can take the Bills Dline on straight up. 

I don't know if that had impact on today's game though if there were not a lot of power-ish run play calls. 

That game was JT's coming out party to many causal fans as i left the sports bar with his jersey many people came up and said I have him on my fantasy OR wish i had him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Minshew made a case for being the starter today.  Half as many passes as AR but more yards.

Instance where stats mean nothing.

Pierce doesn't drop the TD pass that was additional 40yds or so. 13yds taken away by penalty. Another drop or 2 as well.

Not to mention Richardson was against the 1's. Bills had #2 scoring defense in NFL last year, #6 in total yards allowed. He was playing against a solid group.

Minshew played fine, started rough, but came back strong. Nice security blanket for us.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What ever works. This team is not going to the playoffs and that is fine with me unless Richardson balls out. However, if this team falls short of some success and that lack of success is due to bad Oline play, then Ballard needs to go.

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do nor get Richardson killed. We all knowvthst many a young qb fails in this league to being overdrafted and secondly playing behind a poor Oline.

• Like 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Do nor get Richardson killed. We all knowvthst many a young qb fails in this league to being overdrafted and secondly playing behind a poor Oline.

Hopefully he's not going to sit in the pocket long waiting on a 3rd read like Ryan or even Wentz.  I assume the idea to counter a bad oline would be to spread out the D to create more gaps so that AR could use his jiggle to dance passed sacks.  But yeah, its a lot of pressure to put on one player to minimize an oline problem.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What ever works. This team is not going to the playoffs and that is fine with me unless Richardson balls out. However, if this team falls short of some success and that lack of success is due to bad Oline play, then Ballard needs to go.

In most division NO but in AFC South well looking like weakest division in football, Jags favorite but they have a lot of weaknesses. O line def needs to step up 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We need. Starting RG. Move Fries   back to back up. Right there makes the depth better. We did sign that skipper guy who is a vet. I think he can play tackle. 

Skipper is terrible. He had some of the worst grades possible by an olineman. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think they will keep Minshew no matter what. He is a veteran and the goal is to develop Richardson and Minshew helps with that. Winning games is secondary and Ehlinger is a nice guy but  has no value over Minshew as I see it.

What Sam does playing against 3rd and 4th team guys is irrelevant for the most part. He’s got to show enough to convince the coaches that he’s worth having 3 QB’s on the 53 man roster.  Minshew has $3.5 million guaranteed.  

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We live 20 miles east of Rochester. Approx 1:45hrs but there was a lot of backed up traffic.

Okay, thank you. I went to Rochester once or twice but never to Buffalo.  I have been to Oswego, Ithaca, Herkimer, Syracuse but never Buffalo. 

You did not answer the other part of my question. Are you familiar with the sandwich called Spiedies. I was reading an article about it today and wondered it it was sold in Western NY as well as the Southern Tier where I first tried them. 

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Steichen was asked if Richardson will start next week. Said he didn’t know.

The one thing that I have taken from Richardson's film and post draft is this. I don't think he crumbles under pressure. I think he will embrace it and he will not fail  because of his intangibles. He wil fail simply because he cannot hit the  broad side of a barn but evertlytjing else is great lol.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Okay, thank you. I went to Rochester once or twice but never to Buffalo.  I have been to Oswego, Ithaca, Herkimer, Syracuse but never Buffalo. 

You did not answer the other part of my question. Are you familiar with the sandwich called Spiedies. I was reading an article about it today and wondered it it was sold in Western NY as well as the Southern Tier where I first tried them. 

Never heard of spiedies

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I've been to buffalo, but haven't tried Speidies... What's that sandwich made of? 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The one thing that I have taken from Richardson's film and post draft is this. I don't think he crumbles under pressure. I think he will embrace it and he will not fail  because of his intangibles. He wil fail simply because he cannot hit the  broad side of a barn but evertlytjing else is great lol.

That's the impression I have too.

He repeatedly says in press conference that he should not throw the ball too hard, but in reality he needs to develop the touch, rhythm and anticipation. I think that would improve his accuracy, along with any bad mechanics he's habituated.

Apart from that, Yes! pressure doesn't seem to be a problem for him, he almost thrives and flourishes when the defensive lineman come closer to him 

• NFLfan locked this topic