Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp day one 7/26

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This seems exactly right. The doc's analysis has to put focus on what the athlete says he's feeling.

Yep.  The MRI or any other combinations of tests can’t tell a doc how a patient is feeling physically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

The Bears put Roquon Smith on the PUP last year amid his contract dispute, which ended in a trade. It can absolutely be done. 

Except no one is trading for a rb. U have to give up capital and sign him. Plus, the market has been set. Does JT believe he is going to be traded, and then they team will sign him to 25 mill a year? He's stuck. People r forgetting that Taylor is a great runner but an incomplete running back. That's the truth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Kenny Moore was at OTA and minicamp, but didn't practice. There's no PUP designation during the offseason program. When he reported for training camp, he participated fully. Very different situation.

I don't know why we would just ignore the fact that a week ago, RBs reportedly discussed using injuries as a way to limit their participation in practices. JT wants a new contract. He had ankle surgery in January. We were told he's healed up. Now he's on PUP. Drawing a connection between these things is not unreasonable.

It is a reasonable hypothesis.

That is not the same thing as proven hypothesis.

Most folks struggle to understand the difference.

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?    

What was the point of this?    

I wasn’t disputing the idea that the Colts team doctor would say JT needs to be in the PUP even though Ballard and Irsay have stated JT is ready.    I wasn’t disputing that at all.    I think you’ve completely misunderstood my post.

Relax NCF.  I wasn’t disputing I was supporting.  I guess you think I’m Satan and are just always an adversary.

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not at his level, but Moss is no slouch. 

He did average over 5 yd/carry his last three games.  So the cupboard isn’t completely bare.  

I love Moss.   I talk him up every chance I get.   I’m very happy he’s the Colts backup.    I was only trying to say Moss is not going to Wally Pipp Jonathan Taylor. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Relax NCF.  I wasn’t disputing I was supporting.  I guess you think I’m Satan and are just always an adversary.

I simply didn't understand why you felt the need to make the post?   

I don’t think you’re Satan….   But given our history and recent private exchange,  the post didn’t make sense to me.  

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What are you talking about?   

The PUP move was made by the Colts, not Taylor.   JT isn’t playing with fire.   He still has another year left on his rookie contract.   He’s not going anywhere.    There isn’t even another RB on the roster that can take his place.  

Yeah see NCF here I am with you too.  

JT is not Wally Pipp.  If Lou Gehrig took over the RB duties, JT would be cut and teams would be lining up to sign him (to a reasonable number though since the individual RB has been devalued by NFL orgs.)

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I simply didn't understand why you felt the need to make the post?   

I don’t think you’re Satan….   But given our history and recent private exchange,  the post didn’t make sense to me.  

I get it.   I speak tongue in cheek quite a bit man and use a crap ton of sarcasm and irony.  Doesn’t come through on the net for some I guess.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah see NCF here I am with you too.  

JT is not Wally Pipp.  If Lou Gehrig took over the RB duties, JT would be cut and teams would be lining up to sign him (to a reasonable number though since the individual RB has been devalued by NFL orgs.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Kenny Moore was at OTA and minicamp, but didn't practice. There's no PUP designation during the offseason program. When he reported for training camp, he participated fully. Very different situation.

I don't know why we would just ignore the fact that a week ago, RBs reportedly discussed using injuries as a way to limit their participation in practices. JT wants a new contract. He had ankle surgery in January. We were told he's healed up. Now he's on PUP. Drawing a connection between these things is not unreasonable.

I was just thinking this myself.  Seems like he was just on PUP out of nowhere.  I thought he was fine a week ago.

32 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It is a reasonable hypothesis.

That is not the same thing as proven hypothesis.

Most folks struggle to understand the difference.

A proven hypothesis would also be considered a theory if we’re being technical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I meant if he voluntarily sat out practice and preseason.

Jonathan Taylor could voluntarily sit out practice and the entire ppre-season, and he’s not getting Pipped.  

Just because you hate Taylor and can’t wait for the day the Colts get rid of him doesn’t mean the Colts feel the same way.   

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Basically he’s addressing the notion of a minimum pay scale for the RB position that’s been floated around

Yeah I took Irsay’s response to be more about the alternative theories being floated around by people to address running backs to get more money.  He’s saying we just signed an extended CBA, that was the time to address that not now.  Trying to address it now is bad faith.  I didn’t take it as a direct shot at JT but clearly his agent did so like anything it comes down to how the person reading it takes it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Archer said:

That cb competition will be fun.  I’ve had Rush and Flowers as outside starters for Game one since the draft, but there are lots of possibilities…

If not for the suspension Rodgers would have undoubtedly played outside, so how did you have Rush and Flowers pegged as starters since the draft?

I’ve never really liked Rodgers on the outside - too short of arms.  I had Rodgers as a nickel guy…

3 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

If not for the suspension Rodgers would have undoubtedly played outside, so how did you have Rush and Flowers pegged as starters since the draft?

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I took Irsay’s response to be more about the alternative theories being floated around by people to address running backs to get more money.  He’s saying we just signed an extended CBA, that was the time to address that not now.  Trying to address it now is bad faith.  I didn’t take it as a direct shot at JT but clearly his agent did so like anything it comes down to how the person reading it takes it.

It's a direct shot at JT. JT made specific comments about the RBs pay earlier, and JT is one of the RBs that is in line to get a new contract. JT is also on the Colts. Irsay wouldn't have made those comments if they didn't affect JT in some way. He knew what JT said and was mostly indirectly responding to him while trying to make it seem like a general statement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Except no one is trading for a rb. U have to give up capital and sign him. Plus, the market has been set. Does JT believe he is going to be traded, and then they team will sign him to 25 mill a year? He's stuck. People r forgetting that Taylor is a great runner but an incomplete running back. That's the truth.

The idea that he’s an incomplete back is your opinion.   That’s the truth.  

I’ve posted that the idea of Taylor on the PUP lust is the colts idea.   But I’ve read enough good posts by posters who think it’s Taylor’s idea.  I now think it’s possible.  

But honestly, I don’t think it matters.  

No matter whose idea it was, the bottom line is JT is on the PUP list and he can’t publicly come out and say he’s fine and admit that basically the Colts are gaming the system.   (Which I’m fine with, I think everyone does it).  The NFL frowns on that kind of thing being made public.  Business is kept behind closed doors.  

So JT should be back roughly Aug 1, +/- . 
And he might not play much at all during the pre-season.  The coaches will be conservative with him.  He’s got his final year of his rookie contract before the Colts even have to consider tagging him.  

JT will play hard.   He has to if he wants another contract from Colts or any other team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nancy said:

Can someone tell me is better to sit down low or up higher in the bleachers?  How early do I need to go to get in line and get a seat?  Can't wait til I go!  Thank you!

Probably depends on what you want.  Rule of thumb is normally the higher you are the more you can see but if you are lower you’ll have a better chance to interact with the players if they come over to the stands.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nancy said:

Can someone tell me is better to sit down low or up higher in the bleachers?  How early do I need to go to get in line and get a seat?  Can't wait til I go!  Thank you!

I usually sit as high as I can.  A:  you can see more of the field, more of a bigger picture.  B:  you have a better chance of catching at least some shade from the covered MVP area behind you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nancy said:

Don’t let this little cheat code get out in the public eye lol, but don’t line up where the big line starts outside the building at grand park.  That line can get really long and if you wanted to try to get a good seat, you’d need to line up early.  If you park in one of the lots in the West part of the park and walk through the soccer fields there is a 2nd line that forms from that side with exponentially less people in it.

if you have kids that will be playing in Colts City before practice this method probably won’t work because that area is between the building and the practice fields.

Hope this helps.

As far as where to sit that’s tricky.  My sons and I walk around but camp can get very crowded.  WARNING for sitting low in bleachers.  You can sit there for an hour think you have a good view and then late arriving fans will stand right in front of you on the rail.  It’s teeth gnashingly frustrating.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve posted that the idea of Taylor on the PUP lust is the colts idea.   But I’ve read enough good posts by posters who think it’s Taylor’s idea.  I now think it’s possible.  

But honestly, I don’t think it matters.  

No matter whose idea it was, the bottom line is JT is on the PUP list and he can’t publicly come out and say he’s fine and admit that basically the Colts are gaming the system.   (Which I’m fine with, I think everyone does it).  The NFL frowns on that kind of thing being made public.  Business is kept behind closed doors.  

So JT should be back roughly Aug 1, +/- . 
And he might not play much at all during the pre-season.  The coaches will be conservative with him.  He’s got his final year of his rookie contract before the Colts even have to consider tagging him.  

JT will play hard.   He has to if he wants another contract from Colts or any other team. 

Nice summary.

And, to be honest, I don't really care that much if JT is hurt or is not hurt or is holding out or is upset at the RB wage scale or whatever.  At least, not this year.

For the past few seasons, our fan base (me included) has been on pins and needles with every injury.  Or potential injury.  Or... well... anything.  Because it's been our collective understanding that Any Little Thing that happens could result in 1 or 2 losses, and missing the playoffs.  And it's been a source of great stress.

We're not going to the playoffs this year.  I already know that.  This year is about developing a young quarterback, solidifying a young offensive line, and getting everyone on Steichen's new program.

Thus, the JT drama doesn't matter as much to me.  We're going to put whatever team we have on the field, get everyone to face the same direction, and work on playing well.  And let the wins and losses happen where they happen.  Whoever is on that team is on that team.  And whoever is not is not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Nice summary.

And, to be honest, I don't really care that much if JT is hurt or is not hurt or is holding out or is upset at the RB wage scale or whatever.  At least, not this year.

For the past few seasons, our fan base (me included) has been on pins and needles with every injury.  Or potential injury.  Or... well... anything.  Because it's been our collective understanding that Any Little Thing that happens could result in 1 or 2 losses, and missing the playoffs.  And it's been a source of great stress.

We're not going to the playoffs this year.  I already know that.  This year is about developing a young quarterback, solidifying a young offensive line, and getting everyone on Steichen's new program.

Thus, the JT drama doesn't matter as much to me.  We're going to put whatever team we have on the field, get everyone to face the same direction, and work on playing well.  And let the wins and losses happen where they happen.  Whoever is on that team is on that team.  And whoever is not is not.

I agree about this year.  I’d be pretty shocked if this team is a playoff sniffer this season.  That would probably mean AR plays All Pro type QB from Day 1.  It’s not impossible but it seems exceedingly unlikely.  

So if Taylor is going to be a contributor to the team WHEN it’s ready to contend it would probably be a good idea to have his touches significantly reduced this season.  

So a hold out or an (ahem bull sheets) injury keeping him out for a significant portion of the beginning of the season could be an ironic positive for JT and the Colts. He’s not good in pass protect anyway, there is no reasonable debate on that, so if he’s out 6-8 games and if he’s signed long term to a reasonable contract that the market, not the union of RBs, determines as reasonable, then it might be better long term for AR to have a really good pass protector if he’s going to start all of or part of the 1st half of the games.  We have a great pass protector in Zach Moss already on the roster who runs hard and would be effective in zone reads.

Then, thought exercise here, AR has a stud vet protector helping him out in his initial development, JT comes back half way through the year fresh, splits carries with Moss for the 2nd half, meshing with AR, AR has developed some confidence.  So when we are ready to be competitive starting September 2024, we have a fresher, less used up Jonathan Taylor and a more condiment AR.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Nice summary.

I know I am in the minority but I think there is a very good possibility we are a playoff team this year.  We lost  three good starters on defense in Gilmore , Yannick and Okeroke.  But it looks like Leonard is going to be ready to go and JT on offense as well.  Both players being healthy is a big difference maker imo.  Gus will add stability to the defense too.  I think the Minchew AR combination is a big improvement over the Ryan Noles combination.  I believe Steichen is going to maximize our new quarterback tandem even as a rookie coach.  Our new field goal kicker should make a big difference as well.  I think the new veteran players we signed are going to be an improvement over the ones we lost.  I think the OL will continue the improved play they showed towards the end of last season.  It’s reasonable to assume we will get improved play from last year’s rookies and some contributions from this year’s class.  Playing a weaker schedule helps too.  With all teams experiencing turnover and changes every year I am the belief we could surprise and make the playoffs.  I think the team is going to enter the season believing they are a playoff team.  I am too.  This is a young team with a lot talent.  As long as they set their goals high they have a chance.  If they go in with the mindset that it is a rebuilding year they will not make it.  I think they are going to go for the playoffs and hopefully make it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I know I am in the minority but I think there is a very good possibility we are a playoff team this year.  We lost  three good starters on defense in Gilmore , Yannick and Okeroke.  But it looks like Leonard is going to be ready to go and JT on offense as well.  Both players being healthy is a big difference maker imo.  Gus will add stability to the defense too.  I think the Minchew AR combination is a big improvement over the Ryan Noles combination.  I believe Steichen is going to maximize our new quarterback tandem even as a rookie coach.  Our new field goal kicker should make a big difference as well.  I think the new veteran players we signed are going to be an improvement over the ones we lost.  I think the OL will continue the improved play they showed towards the end of last season.  It’s reasonable to assume we will get improved play from last year’s rookies and some contributions from this year’s class.  Playing a weaker schedule helps too.  With all teams experiencing turnover and changes every year I am the belief we could surprise and make the playoffs.  I think the team is going to enter the season believing they are a playoff team.  I am too.  This is a young team with a lot talent.  As long as they set their goals high they have a chance.  If they go in with the mindset that it is a rebuilding year they will not make it.  I think they are going to go for the playoffs and hopefully make it.

Definately a fair take. I think implementing a new scheme can slow the offense down a bit though. I really wish Taylor was out there getting reps and building continuity with the Oline and new QBs though. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know this for certain, but I’d guess that if Taylor were to publicly admit he’s not really hurt and that the Colts are using the PUP in his personal situation, I think the Colts would be in big trouble with the NFL.   I’d think the league would seriously frown on that.   Just a guess on my part. 

My previous post might not have been clear. I'm saying if Taylor's PUP designation is legit, and not a ploy, then it might be good for him to do a quick interview to set the record straight. 'I know there are rumors that I'm sitting out of practices as a contract negotiation strategy, but those rumors are false. I can't wait to get out there, but my ankle is not quite 100% yet, so the staff and I decided to take it slow at first.' 

Also, if this is a ploy, it would be Taylor's strategy, not the Colts'. It would mean Taylor is presenting himself to the team/medical staff as being less than 100% so that he can sit out of practices and not do any media, without the risk being fined. The team responds as they normally would, by putting him on PUP. It would not be a cooperative effort between the two parties. It would be a manipulation on the part of the player. (And it's basically what the RBs discussed on their Zoom call, with union reps present.)

By the way, this is all still speculative. And I'm not taking a side. Just talking it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

My previous post might not have been clear. I'm saying if Taylor's PUP designation is legit, and not a ploy, then it might be good for him to do a quick interview to set the record straight. 'I know there are rumors that I'm sitting out of practices as a contract negotiation strategy, but those rumors are false. I can't wait to get out there, but my ankle is not quite 100% yet, so the staff and I decided to take it slow at first.' 

Also, if this is a ploy, it would be Taylor's strategy, not the Colts'. It would mean Taylor is presenting himself to the team/medical staff as being less than 100% so that he can sit out of practices and not do any media, without the risk being fined. The team responds as they normally would, by putting him on PUP. It would not be a cooperative effort between the two parties. It would be a manipulation on the part of the player. (And it's basically what the RBs discussed on their Zoom call, with union reps present.)

By the way, this is all still speculative. And I'm not taking a side. Just talking it out.

This is why I don’t like to get into speculation about things. People take situations and what is or isn’t happening always as THE definitive reason why and won’t accept anything else. JT has gone from being the hero to the villain in no time because of some people’s negativity and unwillingness to accept that we need him and will only suffer without. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not ignoring anything I am listening to what the head coach said rather than creating a conspiracy theory that JT or his agent hasn’t said he is doing, and yes I know JT isn’t speaking to the media but he has this thing called social media where players make stuff like this known.  

You are smart enough to know players who have had surgery in the off-season often start camp on PUP even if they should be good to go because teams are over cautious, especially with a guy like Taylor.  

If JT was holding in then he would make it known, which to this point him or his agent haven’t.  Other wise there is no point to it.  The idea of a hold in is to put pressure on the team to give you what you want.  That doesn’t make it work it you don’t make people outside the team know what you are doing.  The national media is begging for a story about a NFL running back holding in or out.  If Taylor was doing that someone would have likely dug that up by now by talking to Taylor’s agent.

There is also the fact you need a doctor to sign off on going on PUP.  With what’s going on lately with NFL doctors that doctor would be a fool to lie.  There is also the fact there is no need for Taylor to go on PUP to hold in.  As I explained above it would actually be counter productive if he was truly holding in.

is it possible it could end up being a hold in?  Yes.  However it’s also possible that the team is being over cautious with him and making sure he’s 100% before they turn him loose which is what they are saying.  Thats what the past two days actions support.  Until that changes or Taylor or someone from his camp makes it known he’s holding in I don’t think anyone can say for fact (which is why no one in the media is reporting that) that’s what’s going on and I think it’s unwise to just to dismiss what the Colts coach said because it’s not an exciting story.  Even if you do that it’s hardly a fact he’s holding in like some are claiming.  

Either way until he starts missing real games I am not going to be that concerned or feel the need to speculate about everything that happens all pre-season with Taylor.  So I’ll make this my last word on it for now.

I think you're downplaying the advantages that going on PUP can bring for a player in this situation. 

For starters, I don't think it would be counterproductive for him to get himself on PUP. His contract value is not going to be affected by him spending a few days or even a couple weeks on PUP at the beginning of camp. If he starts the season on fire, no one will remember or care that he said his ankle wasn't 100% in late July. The reduced shelf life of top tier RBs is already established and having an impact on RB compensation. Him missing some time at the beginning of camp -- especially a player like JT who, until last September, had never even missed a practice with injury -- doesn't really change anything. So I don't agree there.

As it relates to a strategic hold in, players and their agents often argue that they don't want to risk injury in practice settings while they're trying to maximize their contract value, and that's the reason they'll sit out practices during contract negotiations. By going on PUP, Taylor can report on time, avoid any fines, but still not participate in practices. And even better, he can't be requested for media (I believe), so he doesn't have to answer any questions publicly. Meanwhile, his agent can continue negotiating with the team. It's unreasonable to expect Taylor or his agent to publicly acknowledge that they are manipulating the PUP list as a contract ploy.

But this is basically what a group of RBs discussed doing very recently. All of the elements are there. I'm not making up a story, and it's hardly a conspiracy theory. They recently said 'we should do this,' and now JT's situation has all the factors for it. He's used his social media to express his unhappiness; he was reportedly 'visibly frustrated' with the situation on the Zoom meeting. It's kind of obvious, really. (To be clear, this is not accusatory. I understand JT's frustration, and if he is strategically holding in, I think it's a smart ploy. It shows solidarity with his position group, it makes the team uncomfortable, and it protects him physically. I don't know if it will get him what he wants, but I don't blame him for doing it.)

There are two other critical players who are not at 100% physically. Shaq Leonard, obviously, and he's limited, but passed his physical and is practicing with the team. Michael Pittman is limited, not practicing fully, but not on PUP, and in his case he's also extension eligible. Every situation is different, but a player can be less than 100% and still not go on PUP. 

End of the day, yes, I'm speculating, but I've been clear about that. I could be wrong, and I've never presented this as a fact. But you're acting like this is some wild-eyed, cooked up conspiracy, and it's not. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

This is why I don’t like to get into speculation about things. People take situations and what is or isn’t happening always as THE definitive reason why and won’t accept anything else. JT has gone from being the hero to the villain in no time because of some people’s negativity and unwillingness to accept that we need him and will only suffer without. 

The bolded can be true, and I think people get carried away with their own speculations all the time. But again, I'm not presenting this as definitive. I'm saying I think it's what's happening, but there's obviously the possibility that I'm wrong, and I'd be the first to admit it once I think there's evidence to the contrary.

However, I don't see anyone making JT a villain. People are discussing RB market value, roster management, cap strategy, etc. If those discussions come off as unfavorable to JT, it's because he's a RB, not because people don't like him. 

Edit: Some people are trollish, and I'm not including their comments when I say I don't think people are making him a villain.

On 7/26/2023 at 8:25 AM, Archer said:

I thought I’d pop over to TC during a long lunch hour today, but I looked it up and it’s 887 miles for me…so, I suppose I’ll have to rely on Chloe’s excellent reporting (et al.).

Your still about 300 miles closer than I am haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think this is contrary here is reasonably possible.  JT and the org come to wink and nod agreement that while they are negotiating, instead of having the media circus of an official holdout, they do it this away.  Don't you see this as possible, I do.

Now I do think Irsay's comments yesterday are an indirect dig at JT.

But like you same with me.  Spitballing some possible scenarios. 

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think this is contrary here is reasonably possible.  JT and the org come to wink and nod agreement that while they are negotiating, instead of having the media circus of an official holdout, they do it this away.  Don't you see this as possible, I do.

Now I do think Irsay's comments yesterday are an indirect dig at JT.

But like you same with me.  Spitballing some possible scenarios. 

In this case, not really. But that's because Ballard's comments made me think the Colts aren't ready to make an offer to JT until they see him back on the field, in Steichen's offense. I also don't think Ballard would have said 'we don't expect anyone else to be on PUP' 30 minutes before Taylor goes on PUP, if they were thinking about this strategy.

Irsay's comments don't seem relevant. I don't know what's happened behind closed doors, but I don't see why Taylor or his agent would be discussing CBA stuff during contract negotiations. If the CBA was amended to allow RBs to enter the league sooner, or to allow RBs to get to FA faster, how does that affect JT in 2023? Anything CBA related seems totally irrelevant.

No question it could be perceived as a dig at JT, and it would be naive to ignore the connection. But it seems more general in nature. I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

Don’t let this little cheat code get out in the public eye lol, but don’t line up where the big line starts outside the building at grand park.  That line can get really long and if you wanted to try to get a good seat, you’d need to line up early.  If you park in one of the lots in the West part of the park and walk through the soccer fields there is a 2nd line that forms from that side with exponentially less people in it.

if you have kids that will be playing in Colts City before practice this method probably won’t work because that area is between the building and the practice fields.

Hope this helps.

As far as where to sit that’s tricky.  My sons and I walk around but camp can get very crowded.  WARNING for sitting low in bleachers.  You can sit there for an hour think you have a good view and then late arriving fans will stand right in front of you on the rail.  It’s teeth gnashingly frustrating.

Thank you Nickster!  Appreciate the info!!

• Thanks 1