Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players report to camp 7/25 and Ballard presser

1 hour ago, w87r said:

First thought that came to mind when I saw Taylor put on the PUP list, was he is definitely holding in.

Kinda sucks he is the next up for new deal, because it is a tricky situation.

1. All RBs are trying to make a stand. So if Taylor bends it hurts the RBs.(Although Barkley didn't do them any favors today)

**Side bar( if I was the Raiders I would offer $10m to Dalvin Cook and if he accepts it, pull the offer on Jacobs)

2. The Colts are under pressure from other organizations to not push the market higher on RBs. So if they bend, other teams will be mad at them.(Like Browns and Watson contract guarantees).

Who really cares, not that that really matters, but it's still there.

3. He is coming off injury and surgery too, complicates things a little more.

I still think offering him this 4yr deal $48m, $10m SB with first 2 years guaranteed. $33,117,482 total guaranteed(paid out in first 3 years).

Contract look something like this.(Brought over from Taylor thread page 1)

2023 - $6,304,000 base, $2,813,482 SB, $9,117,482 total cap hit 

2024 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2025 - $8,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $10,000,000 total cap hit

2026 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit

2027 - $10,000,000 base, $2,000,000 SB, $12,000,000 total cap hit 

That is $12m more in his pocket this season($10m SB, $2m  2023 base salary bump) $17.1m total this year with current remaining deal($5.1m) included, we can use this year to bring down the average AAV of 24-27 to $11m per year.

All money 23-25 guaranteed

If need be add $1m RB, to 24-27 seasons, would get new money at $13m AAV. 

Some of the base salary can switch to roster bonuses so he can get the money quicker as well.

Deal is good for both sides. Colts don't "set the market", Taylor gets $33m guaranteed, instead of risking injury.

So we pay him a boatload of $$ for this rebuilding season where his + contribution will have little meaning. Ugh. 

From a recent segment on Good Morning Football. $$2 Million.

NONE  of the last 5 Super Bowl winners paid there top RB over $2M.

I can't imagine us being SB competitive this season or next. 

Steichen will use Richardson's running threat to make any of our RB's more effective. It makes much more sense to save this money for other positions.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I can't recall a team putting a player on PUP because of a contract situation.   I would assume PUP  is reserved for actual not yet healed players.   I guess I don't know the process  for PUP

The Bears did it with Roquan Smith just last summer. 

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So we pay him a boatload of $$ for this rebuilding season where his + contribution will have little meaning. Ugh. 

From a recent segment on Good Morning Football. $$2 Million.

NONE  of the last 5 Super Bowl winners paid there top RB over $2M.

I can't imagine us being SB competitive this season or next. 

Steichen will use Richardson's running threat to make any of our RB's more effective. It makes much more sense to save this money for other positions.

The Colts have $54m in cap.space next year, before rollover. Which will probably be $8-$12m range. So $62-$66m in cap space. They have plenty of cash. Can free up more also if need be(cuts, restructure). It will go quick if we extend Taylor, Pittman and Grover, but we're in good shape.

He gets a lot of money this year but SB is spread out across contract for cap purposes. This allows us to use our cap this year to lower future cap hits.

This is pretty close to what he would get paid if he finished his contract and was tagged twice.

Even if it is a rebuilding season, this season is about the future also and I personally hope JT is part of the future.

So yes, if we can use some of our $18-$19m in cap space this year(a rebuilding year), to help lower the cap hit down the line, it makes some sense.(Although it would roll over anyway) As long as it's a good number($12-$13m)

By the way, I would prefer to just let the year play out, and tag if need be, but don't want to fracture the relationship either. Both parties want to make something happen, just needs to make sense for both sides.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You seem to be supporting my reply to you in another thread. The guy is a class act and represents the team well in addition to doing his job. He should be paid.

Fans have turned against him? Why?

i just think the nfl has changed and people base their opinions of running backs based on super bowl success .     usually its a good QB good o-line and d - lines that win .   i think with taylor though its a different story since we went 9-8 with taylor when we had carson wentz who stunk .  without taylor in 2021 going off colts easily could of been picking in the top 5 of the draft .   we should make a exception for taylor and sign him i think 14 million a year is fine based on his production when healthy .  taylor is only 23 a 5 year deal is not risky .

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It actually nothing like that at all.  Jonathan taylor is worth 13 million a year.   

Not at all similar to Lucks situation. 

I agree. I said in another thread I’d offer him 3 years, 39 million with up to 6 million in incentives for 45 million total, 30 million guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i just think the nfl has changed and people base their opinions of running backs based on super bowl success .     usually its a good QB good o-line and d - lines that win .   i think with taylor though its a different story since we went 9-8 with taylor when we had carson wentz who stunk .  without taylor in 2021 going off colts easily could of been picking in the top 5 of the draft .   we should make a exception for taylor and sign him i think 14 million a year is fine based on his production when healthy .  taylor is only 23 a 5 year deal is not risky .

For your consideration….

Two points….   One, Taylor is 24….   Two, you’re basing a 5-year contract for a RB as “not risky” based on his age.   

I don’t think age is the issue.   The POSITION is the issue.   I don’t think we’re ever going to see a 5-year contract (second contract) for a RB ever again.   The position is so risky for serious injury, that it’s hard to imagine any team signing a RB to a 5-year deal.   The possibility of an injury which would also injure a team’s salary cap is just way way to risky to any team.  

I think the future for most RB’s is likely to be 2 and 3-year deals.   I suppose a 4-year deal is possible, but I would think it’s unlikely.   And if it happens for an RB like Taylor, I would think it would be structured so that the last year of the deal would have a zero dead cap hit. 

So I view a 5-year second contract for a RB as hugely risky for the team.   Just my two cents. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

I can't group our entire fan base with that one statement, but definitely a select few.  I've seen comments on different platforms with very short sighted opinions.  One example I usually see is that "Taylor was ok, until Saquon Barkley and Josh Jacobs had issues with it" and a few that group RBs together saying, "they already get paid millions and should be happy with that"....I just can't agree with how easily the league and it's fanbase are ok with mortgaging the RB position and throwing them away like trash when it's time to pay.  

I agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

What a weird post.... Nvm, just caught the username.  Wow....  Seeing as "he's only ever" hasn't even consisted of his rookie contract yet....  I wouldn't expect any less of a player.  Any player.  He could have played LBer for years....or WR, Safety....  QB....  What's that?  He's amazing as RB?  That's great!  Take what's top end pay for a RUNNING BACK then.....  He hasn't even played out his FIRST contract.   I don't care what stats you throw out, he's likely going to get rewarded handsomely in a few months.... Ballard isn't exactly stingy with Irsay's money at any position, especially the non premium variety.... No one's "turned on" your precious idol....  It'll be just fine.  

Lol not sure how my name makes him my idol??  If I was forced to even say an idol that I do have, it would be Barry Sanders.  At the end of the day, I want our leaders to be compensated off the production they produce on and off the field.  If Taylor continues to do what he needs to do, then yes I would hope Ballard indeed is not stingy with Irsay's money.  Time will tell eventually.  Anyway I'm just in a wait and see mode at the moment and just enjoying the return of football

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Definitely sign him. I did not realize he was only 23. That makes him even more valuable. I would definitely be in favor of signing him to a big contract if he were on my team. Plus he is a high-character guy. You don't have to worry about him getting suspended and embarrassing the team.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Definitely sign him. I did not realize he was only 23. That makes him even more valuable. I would definitely be in favor of signing him to a big contract if he were on my team. Plus he is a high-character guy. You don't have to worry about him getting suspended and embarrassing the team.

He's 24. Will be 25 in January.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

Lol not sure how my name makes him my idol??  If I was forced to even say an idol that I do have, it would be Barry Sanders.  At the end of the day, I want our leaders to be compensated off the production they produce on and off the field.  If Taylor continues to do what he needs to do, then yes I would hope Ballard indeed is not stingy with Irsay's money.  Time will tell eventually.  Anyway I'm just in a wait and see mode at the moment and just enjoying the return of football

Sounds like we agree mostly, and yeah, might have laid it on ya a little strong....sorry, just too much of the negativity surrounding the RBs of the league lately....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. He is still very young. He will play the entire regular season under 25 years old.

He’s also had a TON of  carries coming into the league. So he’s a high mileage 24 year old. 

that said, I’d still offer the 3 years, incentivized and front loaded. But for an average of 13 mil per year with bonus and incentives that can push it to 15 per year average 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He’s also had a TON of  carries coming into the league. So he’s a high mileage 24 year old. 

that said, I’d still offer the 3 years, incentivized and front loaded. But for an average of 13 mil per year with bonus and incentives that can push it to 15 per year average 

^^ That seems fair.

Barkley got (only) $11 million for 1 year and the Giants can franchise-tag him next year. Not a good deal for him.

Now, QBs are making so much more. Herbert, who I like and reminds me of Luck with his intelligence, got a new contract averaging over $40 million a year. That is outrageous. But good for him.

Pay the RBs and OL that keep these QBs successful.

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

^^ That seems fair.

Barkley got (only) $11 million for 1 year and the Giants can franchise-tag him next year. Not a good deal for him.

Now, QBs are making so much more. Herbert, who I like and reminds me of Luck with his intelligence, got a new contract averaging over $40 million a year. That is outrageous. But good for him.

I think RBs are slowly resigning to the fact that they're not valued well enough, and are resigning with their team.

Maybe, Cook will join Vikings back? :P

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Someone wrote that fans have turned against him. So, I asked if that is so and why.

Got it. I don't think anyone is turning on him. I think people turned on Kenny Moore last year, and the response to JT so far has been nowhere near as negative. So far...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, w87r said:

The Colts have $54m in cap.space next year, before rollover. Which will probably be $8-$12m range. So $62-$66m in cap space. They have plenty of cash. Can free up more also if need be(cuts, restructure). It will go quick if we extend Taylor, Pittman and Grover, but we're in good shape.

He gets a lot of money this year but SB is spread out across contract for cap purposes. This allows us to use our cap this year to lower future cap hits.

This is pretty close to what he would get paid if he finished his contract and was tagged twice.

Even if it is a rebuilding season, this season is about the future also and I personally hope JT is part of the future.

So yes, if we can use some of our $18-$19m in cap space this year(a rebuilding year), to help lower the cap hit down the line, it makes some sense.(Although it would roll over anyway) As long as it's a good number($12-$13m)

By the way, I would prefer to just let the year play out, and tag if need be, but don't want to fracture the relationship either. Both parties want to make something happen, just needs to make sense for both sides.

I've seen no reporting about what he wants, other than 'to be taken care of.' Would he go for $12-13m/year, or does he want a record setting deal? Is there a guaranteed number that's a major sticking point?

We could give him a strong contract that looks good in the headlines. Five years, $80m would be top of market. But we all know he's unlikely to earn anything beyond 2026. If we did $40m through 2026, with two extra years at $20m/year, knowing that a) the cap is going way up by then, and b) he's probably not going to see any of that remaining $40m, then who cares? 

I think I'd do three years, $40m, with $25m guaranteed. That basically buys out his two tag years, plus a little extra for the third year. I guess... some of that can be incentives, but I figure he wouldn't go for that. It would be nice to know what he wants.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

^^ That seems fair.

Yes and no. The big difference is the longevity of the position. Historically. RBs have a very short career span and high injury risk. 

besides, there’s no way to pay every player QB money. Just not possible. 

as talented as Taylor is, he just plays a “lower wage” position. Is it fair, no, but that’s the reality and I think there’s little leverage for teams en masse to change it. 

now that Barkley has signed, it’s honestly reset the market a bit and that market clearly is around 11 million year average. JT can sit out if he wishes, not get paid at all, lose a year of credibility and still be under contract next year still because of sitting out. 

The comment that the market is what it is, this is a reality RBs have to come to terms with.  We / they basically know what the numbers are if franchise tagged, so prudence would seem to dictate that if you can get a 3-4 year deal with guaranteed money and a big signing bonus in the equation, at the franchise tag numbers (average of top 5 positional salaries?), then to me it would be foolhardy to NOT jump at such an offer, for it offers security beyond 1 year franchise tags.

If I were owner, I’d make a very nice offer to JT, with a preference for a 4 year term, 2 year franchise tag money guaranteed, and plenty of incentives so that if he indeed puts up elite numbers over the course of the 4 year term, his earn in years 3 & 4 is an amount that fairly pays him for such results.  Simple.  lol

17 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

if you can get a 3-4 year deal with guaranteed money and a big signing bonus in the equation, at the franchise tag numbers (average of top 5 positional salaries?), then to me it would be foolhardy to NOT jump at such an offer, for it offers security beyond 1 year franchise tags.

I agree with that. It is giving starting running backs one-year deals that I disagree with. A guy like Taylor has many good years left. Give him a 4-year deal with guaranteed money. I wonder how much he is being offered??

I'm glad that RBs like Henry and McCaffrey who were signed to long-term deals are standing up for others at that position.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

You seem to be supporting my reply to you in another thread. The guy is a class act and represents the team well in addition to doing his job. He should be paid.

Fans have turned against him? Why?

Eh, I think this is very bad angle on it. Don’t make it into something it’s not, please.

It’s nothing personal against Taylor. By all accounts he’s great guy who does everything needed of him or at least tries to. 

It’s a view, shared by many, on the use and thus worth of RBs in general based on the way the game is played currently.

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Eh, I think this is very bad angle on it. Don’t make it into something it’s not, please.

It’s nothing personal against Taylor. By all accounts he’s great guy who does everything needed of him or at least tries to. 

It’s a view, shared by many, on the use and thus worth of RBs in general based on the way the game is played currently.

"It's a view, shared by many". Not me and there are many reasons why I don't share some others views on this. 

I know it is a passing league so no need to even bring that up LOL, but it still doesn't matter in our case because of the way our team is built. We also have the money to get a reasonable deal done under the Cap. Having a RB like Taylor will help AR out big time.

• Like 1

Having great WR's doesn't mean you will win a SB either. If you can't run in the playoffs, you normally lose somewhere during your run. You have to be able to run the ball, especially in bad weather. If having a great WR's guaranteed SB wins, then the Bengals should have won the last 2 SB's with Chase and Higgins who is good at worse, they even have a top 3 QB in the league. We had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years + the best QB in the league but lost most of the time in the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"It's a view, shared by many". Not me and there are many reasons why I don't share some others views on this. 

I know it is a passing league so no need to even bring that up LOL, but it still doesn't matter in our case because of the way our team is built. We also have the money to get a reasonable deal done under the Cap. Having a RB like Taylor will help AR out big time.

I know you don’t and that’s fine. :thmup:

I would like to see this team win more Super Bowls, you don’t do that by overpaying - for any position. Doesn’t matter how good they are, overpaying will hamper the team in general. 

I’m not disputing JT will be good for AR. I’m disputing how good he will be for AR is worth $8m+/year more than the next man up. “We have cap space!” Sure, and we have needs and other players to sign. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Having great WR's doesn't mean you will win a SB either. If you can't run in the playoffs, you normally lose somewhere during your run. You have to be able to run the ball, especially in bad weather. If having a great WR's guaranteed SB wins, then the Bengals should have won the last 2 SB's with Chase and Higgins who is good at worse, they even have a top 3 QB in the league. We had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years + the best QB in the league but lost most of the time in the playoffs. 

“Having great WR's doesn't mean you will win a SB either.” - terrible argument for overpaying for another position. 

“If you can't run in the playoffs, you normally lose somewhere during your run. You have to be able to run the ball, especially in bad weather.” - you don’t need to overpay for a RB to be able to run or just win in any weather as multiple SB teams have shown lately. 

“If having a great WR's guaranteed SB wins, then the Bengals should have won the last 2 SB's with Chase and Higgins who is good at worse, they even have a top 3 QB in the league.” - so, if they had JT and B-tier WRs you think they would’ve won 2 SBs by now?

“We had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years + the best QB in the league but lost most of the time in the playoffs.” - again, if the Manning teams had JT and B-tier WRs you think we would have more SBs?

Gotta let the season play out a bit before even considering to sign Taylor.   He's coming off an injury.   Hopefully Moss runs well this season as well as Taylor.  Perhaps it will humble Taylor a bit.   I do not think we pay Taylor record breaking money.  That would be a poor decision.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

“Having great WR's doesn't mean you will win a SB either.” - terrible argument for overpaying for another position. 

“If you can't run in the playoffs, you normally lose somewhere during your run. You have to be able to run the ball, especially in bad weather.” - you don’t need to overpay for a RB to be able to run or just win in any weather as multiple SB teams have shown lately. 

“If having a great WR's guaranteed SB wins, then the Bengals should have won the last 2 SB's with Chase and Higgins who is good at worse, they even have a top 3 QB in the league.” - so, if they had JT and B-tier WRs you think they would’ve won 2 SBs by now?

“We had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for years + the best QB in the league but lost most of the time in the playoffs.” - again, if the Manning teams had JT and B-tier WRs you think we would have more SBs?

If they had JT and Chase (take Higgins off and add JT), I believe they would have won at least 1 SB being 2021 with Burrow at QB, yes and to me that is a no brainer. Rams would have had very little chance of beating them. They barely beat them as it was. 

2 things: #1 - after watching Buffalo last season in the playoffs, I am convinced they won't win a SB without a great RB. They can't run the ball with any consistency. That is important in bad weather in January when your passing game struggles because of the cold or snow.  They have Diggs and Allen, both Top 5 at their positions so they should win a SB by many people's logic in here. 

#2 - Are we a better team with JT? That is the most important question to the whole thing. That is an easy answer.

52 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I understand it very much. Believe me, many years ago, I questioned why teams were using first round draft picks to take RBs when very good ones were available in lower rounds. It was around when Curtis Martin was drafted. That was at least 20 years ago. So, I get it. I feel somewhat the same way about WRs but that is for another thread.

When there is a player who is already on your team and has great chemistry with teammates, stays out of trouble, and does a great job, those traits should have some value over picking up just anyone that plays the position.

Not enough value is placed on intangibles that players bring to a team. It is just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If they had JT and Chase (take Higgins off and add JT), I believe they would have won at least 1 SB being 2021 with Burrow at QB, yes and to me that is a no brainer. Rams would have had very little chance of beating them. They barely beat them as it was. 

2 things: #1 - after watching Buffalo last season in the playoffs, I am convinced they won't win a SB without a great RB. They can't run the ball with any consistency. That is important in bad weather in January when your passing game struggles because of the cold or snow.  They have Diggs and Allen, both Top 5 at their positions so they should win a SB by many people's logic in here. 

#2 - Are we a better team with JT? That is the most important question to the whole thing. That is an easy answer.

Oof, yeah I disgree with one.

I do agree the Bills need to scheme better for the run game, but I disagree the solution is to spend big on a RB.

Sure, we’re likely better with JT but if paying JT means we eventually won’t be able to pay a great WR, TE, LT, CB or DE it’s a HUGE miss. 

• Like 1

As a friend of mine was told when he worked in the White House, "Life is full of difficult compromises."

Overpaying any player has risks.  And running backs typically have a short life at a high level.

Letting a very productive player and a team leader walk to save a few million bucks could really hurt also.

I really like JT and would love to see him stay a Colt.  I do think having him behind AR would be good for both of them.  And I would hope that Steichen would know how to get the best out of that combo. But I don't think we should think about setting the RB market will an over the top contract.   And if JT is "Holding In" I am fine with that at this point.  You can't blame these guys for trying to get paid since the know they have a short shelf life in the NFL.  

For this to benefit the Colts - which in the end is what I want - I think both sides will need to make difficult compromises.

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Oof, yeah I disgree with one.

I do agree the Bills need to scheme better for the run game, but I disagree the solution is to spend big on a RB.

Sure, we’re likely better with JT but if paying JT means we eventually won’t be able to pay a great WR, TE, LT, CB or DE it’s a HUGE miss. 

In most ways, it boils down to having pretty much the best QB in the league or close to it when discussing just having 2 good WR's and great a RB, or having a great WR and RB by committee needed to win. You made a comment = that here lately, teams have won a SB without a great RB. True but you failed to mention since 2018, Brady has won 2 of those and Mahomes has won 2 of those. Brady is arguably the GOAT, many say he is and Mahomes has been the best QB in the league since 2019. Only Matt Stafford has won a SB in 2021 over the last 5 years that isn't considered in a GOAT talk type situation. Had Burrow had a running game in 2021, that would not even be the case. Burrow has been a top 3 QB the last 2 years.

20 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Completely different scenarios if that's what he was talking about

How so?  Both critical members of the team.  Both repeatedly unable to perform due to injuries.  Both very well compensated.  Both going through constant rehab.  Both seemingly, very close to playing.  One took the $$ and left…the other - well, who knows?

So, this is an example of why I feel 2nd tier is good enough. Here's Miles Sanders' '22 season vs. JT's '21 "MVP" season:

Miles Sanders '22:
1269 yards
259 carries
4.89 ypc
11 TDs 
0.0425 TDpc 

Jonathan Taylor '21 "MVP" season:
1811 yards
332 carries
5.45 ypc
18 TDs
0.0542TDpc 

No doubt JT is better, but if we adjust Sanders' carries to be equal to JT's we get this:

Sanders adjusted stats (332 carries):
332 carries
1623 yards
4.89 ypc
14.1 TDs
0.0425 TDpc

Miles Sanders just signed a contract worth $25,400,000 over 4 year with the Carolina Panthers, including a $5,900,000 signing bonus, $13,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,350,000.

JT likely wants more than the tag so at least $11m+/year possibly more. Do we want to pay double for 188 more yards and 4 more TDs? I mean, we could have 2 Sanders quality RBs for that money.

Again, not disputing JT is better. I'm saying JT isn't worth the money vs. tier 2.

• Like 1