Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi on Stroud, Texans and the Colts picks and other NFL stuff

Moosejawcolt

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

How about some context?

Stroud maybe hard to coach or need the right situation. Caserio may leave Texans and Ryans has a lot of input. Don't be surprised if they don't go qb. Indy is out on Lamar and Indy going to probably force a qb at 4. Talks about Richardson as a good and smart kid but not an alpha male. Doesn't have that Kobe mentality and may not have drive to dig deep into himself .  That is the element he will need to be successful. He said tell me a guy who was never a worker and then becomes one. Totally agree on that. Talks about the S2 test.  Equate it to the 40 yard dash to the brain. The game slows down for guys with high scores.  

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Stroud maybe hard to coach or need the right situation. Caserio may leave Texans and Ryans has a lot of input. Don't be surprised if they don't go qb. Indy is out on Lamar and Indy going to probably force a qb at 4. Talks about Richardson as a good and smart kid but not an alpha male. Doesn't have that Kobe mentality and may not have drive to dig deep into himself .  That is the element he will need to be successful. He said tell me a guy who was never a worker and then becomes one. Totally agree on that. Talks about the S2 test.  Equate it to the 40 yard dash to the brain. The game slows down for guys with high scores.  

If this is true that will be the reason they take Levis over him if that is who they have a choice between. I don’t believe all the stuff that comes out of Lombardi though.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If this is true that will be the reason they take Levis over him if that is who they have a choice between. I don’t believe all the stuff that comes out of Lombardi though.

Agreed. Plus I don’t think Ballard will force a QB just to take one. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The one thing about Lombardi is this. All of what he says does not come true, as no one is not 100%. However, I think what he reports is coming from good sources, FO personal and the relationships he has build over the years, as he is keyed it and i don't believe he is  being played. I dont listen to the guys like Scheffner as they are in with the agents and have their own agendas. Scheffner is a ..........!!!!

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Wonder how true that is about Stroud bring hard to coach. He did say it isn’t a bad thing it just takes a coach to press the right buttons. For instance players have different personalities  and do need to be dealt with differently.

If he was hard to coach do you really believe teams are just now finding this out at the last minute from Lombardi? We are talking about a guy thats been starting games since his freshman year at OSU. You have to take coaching to be able to be the starter that early and play at a high level. Youd have to imagine how ling these teams have been talking and building relationships with the OSU coaching staff about Stroud.

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Agreed. Plus I don’t think Ballard will force a QB just to take one. 

he is really hard on the Colts if they pick Levi or Richardson. He said if they do, they are still in the business of getting a qb for a year but only this time it is a rookie

54 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Caseros may leave the Texans?   Huh?

Where did that come from.   He’s been wanting to be a GM for a long time, and he just became Houston’s GM a short time ago.   Caserio hired Ryan’s. 

What makes you think he’s leaving anytime soon? 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where did that come from.   He’s been wanting to be a GM for a long time, and he just became Houston’s GM a short time ago.   A serious hired Ryan’s. 

Rumor is he will return to NE

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where did that come from.   He’s been wanting to be a GM for a long time, and he just became Houston’s GM a short time ago.   Caserio hired Ryan’s. 

Lombardi is reporting but it is also out there. Ryans has a lot of power and the situation may not be right for Nick. Even if Nick does not leave expect changes in Texas

LMAO!  Lombardi is a blowhard, this is just pre-draft pot-stirring. " Hey. CJ, don't worry, you can be difficult to coach, its only the NFL, in case you don't know NFL means NOT FOR LONG, so you go that direction, refuse to listen to your professional coaches  and sacrifice Millions of dollars" .  AR15, sorry Dude, you are not an Alpha, so take that combine placard from around you neck with 40yd-4.38, Vertical 40.5 etc, you wimp, and your QB 244 lbs,  no room for you sissy's in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So he says Richardson is not an alpha male. If true not sure I like that. Mentions a story Richardson isn’t a gym rat but will eventually get there. He doesn’t think that ever happens because it’s hard to change your personality.

I believe it on Richardson.  He just doesn’t come across that way.  On the other hand there have been numerous reports about Levis being a GM rat.  That’s been verified.  

42 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

LMAO!  Lombardi is a blowhard, this is just pre-draft pot-stirring. " Hey. CJ, don't worry, you can be difficult to coach, its only the NFL, in case you don't know NFL means NOT FOR LONG, so you go that direction, refuse to listen to your professional coaches  and sacrifice Millions of dollars" .  AR15, sorry Dude, you are not an Alpha, so take that combine placard from around you neck with 40yd-4.38, Vertical 40.5 etc, you wimp, and your QB 244 lbs,  no room for you sissy's in the NFL. 

So you think AR’s combine numbers makes him an Alpha?   Lol.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

As for the alpha thing that was the big negative everyone talked about Herbert they were wrong. Also Lombardi doesn't know anything about drafting QBs he drafted Johnny Manziel who maybe Lombardi thought had the alpha/Kobe mentality or the next closest was being part of drafting JaMarcus Russell.

56 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

As for the alpha thing that was the big negative everyone talked about Herbert they were wrong. Also Lombardi doesn't know anything about drafting QBs he drafted Johnny Manziel who maybe Lombardi thought had the alpha/Kobe mentality or the next closest was being part of drafting JaMarcus Russell.

Herbert is an extremely bright guy and everything I have heard bout him is that he is relentless

57 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

As for the alpha thing that was the big negative everyone talked about Herbert they were wrong. Also Lombardi doesn't know anything about drafting QBs he drafted Johnny Manziel who maybe Lombardi thought had the alpha/Kobe mentality or the next closest was being part of drafting JaMarcus Russel

Manziel was an ownership pick but keep trying.

2 hours ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Oh brother!!! U just don't get it.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Herbert is an extremely bright guy and everything I have heard bout him is that he is relentless

Yeah when he was a draft prospect one of the biggest things they said about him was that he was quiet and didn’t command leadership. They were quite wrong. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Manziel was an ownership pick but keep trying.

If it was just Manziel sure, but he the other QB in his NFL career that he is tied to is Jamarcus Russell one of the biggest busts considering his contract. Lombardi is just bad at scouting QBs. Would you take the advice of someone who’s s two choices were complete busts and really has no success drafting a position. 

One guy I never take seriously is Lombardi. Comes off like a bafoon at times. His history drafting QB’s speaks for itself. Charlie Casserly was one too. Charlie had a nice run with the Redskins but after his disastrous run with the Texans he seemed like the game had passed him by. 

Pat Kirwin does a nice show on SiriusXm.  It’s entertaining enough but I also don’t lose sight that the Jets were mostly terrible when he was there and working in his highest position.  While I might enjoy the show I take what he says with a grain of salt.  He likes to name drop to make himself sound more successful than he was and he definitely isn’t always impartial in his opinion. Kirwin definitely dislikes Irsay. 

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah when he was a draft prospect one of the biggest things they said about him was that he was quiet and didn’t command leadership. They were quite wrong. 

If it was just Manziel sure, but he the other QB in his NFL career that he is tied to is Jamarcus Russell one of the biggest busts considering his contract. Lombardi is just bad at scouting QBs. Would you take the advice of someone who’s s two choices were complete busts and really has no success drafting a position. 

Lombardi is so bad and has been wrong on so many things it's funny to me he gets any attention whatsoever. Here are the QBs his teams has drafted while he was in their FOs:

-Scott Barry

-Steve Slayden

-Clemente Gordon

-Keith McCant

-Eric Zeier

-Marquis Tuiasosopo

-Andrew Walter

-JaMarcus Russell

-Johnny manziel

And here's a devastating takedown of his QB scouting philosophies:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/michael-lombardi-ringer-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-jamarcus-russell

But here we are discussing his takes in a separate thread every other day. :dunno: I understand if he had good record in scouting players in the NFL, or good record in football analysis in the media but he doesn't. Instead he has take after take that were so wrong if I made them I wouldn't dare to show my face in public, let alone confidently continue to opine on who is a good prospect and who's not, who will be great coach and not, etc. I guess the off-season is way too long indeed.

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Lombardi is so bad and has been wrong on so many things it's funny to me he gets any attention whatsoever. Here are the QBs his teams has drafted while he was in their FOs:

-Scott Barry

-Steve Slayden

-Clemente Gordon

-Keith McCant

-Eric Zeier

-Marquis Tuiasosopo

-Andrew Walter

-JaMarcus Russell

-Johnny manziel

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/michael-lombardi-ringer-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-jamarcus-russell

But here we are discussing his takes in a separate thread every other day. :dunno: I understand if he had good record in scouting players in the NFL, or good record in football analysis in the media but he doesn't. Instead he has take after take that were so wrong if I made them I wouldn't dare to show my face in public, let alone confidently continue to opine on who is a good prospect and who's not, who will be great coach and not, etc. I guess the off-season is way too long indeed.

He also said Doug Pedersen was the worst head coaching hire in the history of the NFL

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

-Scott Barry

-Steve Slayden

-Clemente Gordon

-Keith McCant

-Eric Zeier

-Marquis Tuiasosopo

-Andrew Walter

-JaMarcus Russell

-Johnny manziel

I understand that he’s got a long track record of misses.   But here’s the thing, working for the Raiders during the Al Davis years and working in Cleveland for a while were two teams that I’m just not sure you can blame him.   Meaning, I’m not sure how much of the final say he actually had.  

Those were two highly HIGHKY dysfunctional teams, so Al Davis could and did over-ride draft decisions all the time.  Same at Cleveland with their crazy front office. 

I appreciate that he had the title so that is his record, I’m just saying the reality was a lot more complicated than that.  

Just some food for thought….

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that he’s got a long track record of misses.   But here’s the thing, working for the Raiders during the Al Davis years and working in Cleveland for a while were two teams that I’m just not sure you can blame him.   Meaning, I’m not sure how much of the final say he actually had.  

Those were two highly HIGHKY dysfunctional teams, so Al Davis could and did over-ride draft decisions all the time.  Same at Cleveland with their crazy front office. 

I appreciate that he had the title so that is his record, I’m just saying the reality was a lot more complicated than that.  

I do get it was dysfunctional organizations but I don’t think you can give him a complete pass though, blaming ownership just seems like a cop out for poor decisions. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would understand if his post-FO career was any different but it isn't. He continues to spew some of the most wrong takes out there. And he doesn't stop and think to himself "Am I doing this right?". He just keeps trucking... Which... fair enough, he can do whatever he wants to do. The question is why should we pay any attention to what he has to say?

Example - Chris Simms has some outrageous takes, but especially on QBs he's had some incredible hits, so when he says something I'm ready to listen. Lombardi is not in that category... I can never hear a word of what he has to say and I don't think I'm losing anything.

52 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I do get it was dysfunctional organizations but I don’t think you can give him a complete pass though, blaming ownership just seems like a cop out for poor decisions. 

The point is, they likely weren’t HIS decisions.   And he’s not using it as an excuse.   I’m offering it as an explanation because I covered the Raiders way back when they were in Los Angeles, and I know how crazy they were during Al’s final 20 years or so.    I’ve never seen Lombardi offer any excuse. 

54 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would understand if his post-FO career was any different but it isn't. He continues to spew some of the most wrong takes out there. And he doesn't stop and think to himself "Am I doing this right?". He just keeps trucking... Which... fair enough, he can do whatever he wants to do. The question is why should we pay any attention to what he has to say?

Example - Chris Simms has some outrageous takes, but especially on QBs he's had some incredible hits, so when he says something I'm ready to listen. Lombardi is not in that category... I can never hear a word of what he has to say and I don't think I'm losing anything.

For what it’s worth, Chris Simms this week just said Anderson was the 5th best EDGE in the draft.   A first round player, but far, Far, FAR from the best player in the draft and not even close to the best edge.  Says he has no elite traits.   None.   

Look it up on you tube.   Not hard to find on PFT video clips.    Maybe you’ll agree, or maybe not.   

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, Chris Simms this week just said Anderson was the 5th best EDGE in the draft.   A first round player, but far, Far, FAR from the best player in the draft and not even close to the best edge.  Says he has no elite traits.   None.   

Look it up on you tube.   Not hard to find on PFT video clips.    Maybe you’ll agree, or maybe not.   

I saw it and I definitely don't agree with him on this specific one. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Lombardi is wrong more than he is right.   The only reason these posts about him keep coming up is because the OP is also far more wrong than he is right

So r most GMs. What is thr success rate on NFL picks? I guess u can put Ballard in that category because he is below 500 but I will wait for the excuses. I post Lombardis stuff because I like him and I can understand why others don't. He has been wrong lots and he owns it and I don't put him up here to fight over whether he is right or wrong. I post to show a GMs perceptive and how teams may think as they approach the draft but as per usual people juat want to assassinate the man and quibble over this and that. It's childish

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Lombardi is wrong more than he is right.   The only reason these posts about him keep coming up is because the OP is also far more wrong than he is right

I can look at many perspectives and I don't have to agree with someone but I do like it when they give intelligent reasoning for their conclusions. Here is what I hate. I am seeing tons of Colts media wanting Richardson. They say he is raw but man u got to take him based on upside. Then when it comes to the 2ndc round that same analyst says we can't take that corner because he is to raw. So let me get this straight. Its okay to take a raw athlete with the number 4 pick to player the hardest postion in sports but u will pass on a corner in the 2nd round cause he is to raw and he  carries to much risk .....huh???? Just lost all credibility.

Opinions are just that - OPINIONS!!

Media members get paid big $$$ to "stir things up" either with an opinion - or pure speculation - or a mock draft.  

Wish I could get paid little $$$ to be a media star and share my opinions.

Ballard and his scouting staff - with input from Shane Steichen - will pick the available QB that best fits what the Colts want to do with their offense.

That said - both Richardson and Levis need some time to round in to being a quality NFL starter.

Archived