Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

2 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

The idea of just rolling with Minshew makes me ill. And Im a very positive person. I think they are in a position where they have to do something, and if Ballard liked any of these guys very much he makes that trade with Chicago to ensure he gets his man. He didnt, and that tells me he doesnt like any of them very much. So taking one now almost seems like desperation.

I dont think they are that willing to let him go, but I think he could force his way out. This is more about Lamar being upset at the Ravens than anything else. You outlined all the reasons people are hesistant very well. I just dont see any great options and Lamar is easily the most attractive to me. Him and Taylor together would make us unique and formidable.

I dont really disagree with you here. Im just not that impressed with either guy. Richardsons potential is intriguing but go watch his Kentucky tape and tell me thats an NFL QB......Its pretty bad.

And Im not sure what Levis' potential even is? People say Josh Allen, but I see a less talented Jay Cutler. I know he battled some injuries last year so maybe Im wrong, but I just find it hard to get excited about him.

All Im really saying is if I had to choose I think Id rather roll the dice on Lamar. Thats all. I dont think any of these options are great really. They all have downsides.

I dont mind Lamar either but i think that very large contract Ballard may not be willing to pay.

• Like 1

We agree that Lamar is great but besides the money two first rounds picks is tough to give up especially when it is number 4 Question has anyone that thought about a trade like this traded their high first round pick for a lower first round and some 2nd rounders then made a trade giving up the say 15th pick as one first rounder and keeping the picks we traded for

On 3/13/2023 at 9:27 AM, chad72 said:

It is what it is. Too much money into Leonard put us in this position. Unless you are the captain of the D and play MLB, you rarely see that kind of money thrown around to weakside LBs. At this point, we just hope Leonard can play all games of the season without any major setbacks.

I can see what you’re saying. However, (when he’s healthy) he’s one of the few bright spots on defense. Another thing that put the Colts in this situation is the money Ballard put into the O-line (Smith, Kelly, Nelson) and it was still a leaky line last year. Yet another thing is the QB carousel Ballard has had the team riding. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I dont mind Lamar either but i think that very large contract Ballard may not be willing to pay.

Hmmm, but isn’t Lamar wasted on a team that is not in full win now mode? We miss way too many pieces for this to make any sense IMHO. You want to plug him into a loaded team that just lacks a proper QB…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Hmmm, but isn’t Lamar wasted on a team that is not in full win now mode? We miss way too many pieces for this to make any sense IMHO. You want to plug him into a loaded team that just lacks a proper QB…

Had Denver been more patient and not jumped on the Wilson train… 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Who wants to pay SB money to a a guy who has only won one playoff game and has been significantly injured the last two seasons...He is a damn good player but he isn't ever going to bring home a Lombardi with his 

Definitely top 6-7 healthy, I think Watson was better. I just think he isn't worth 25percent of a cap. And a lot of players take cuts to play with Championship caliber QBs. Why hasn't nobody done that with Lamar???

Lamar in the right place has a very good chance at winning a SB. 

Watson has had a ton of talent around him why hasn't he won a SB? I mean he has played on some really good teams. 

We don't know the behind the scenes working but I would bet you there are a ton of players that would love to play  with Lamar. And I'm not sure players are taking pay cuts just to play with a certain QB. I think its the other way around and teams are trying to Buy a SB. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Taylor and Lamar until we can't resign Taylor. 

We would also have to dump Buckner. Yada Yada.

Sorry, seems like a dum idea at best.

So "dum", you can't even spell dumb lol! haha 

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Had Denver been more patient and not jumped on the Wilson train… 

Yep, they could have got him for less than Wilson, and he's more athletic and younger too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Who wants to pay SB money to a a guy who has only won one playoff game and has been significantly injured the last two seasons...He is a damn good player but he isn't ever going to bring home a Lombardi with his 

Definitely top 6-7 healthy, I think Watson was better. I just think he isn't worth 25percent of a cap. And a lot of players take cuts to play with Championship caliber QBs. Why hasn't nobody done that with Lamar???

I respectfully disagree that Watson is better than Lamar. Watson had Hopkins from day 1 = 2017-2019 putting up huge numbers for him, Hopkins was the best WR in football those 3 years. Lamar hasn't had anyone close to that. Each QB has only won 1 playoff game so that is a wash but Lamar's overall winning % is much higher and Lamar has won an MVP.

To my 1st sentence, there is the problem. Lamar feels like a player that he is better than is making way more money. Lamar also doesn't have baggage like Watson has with the stuff Watson has done off the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Who says Baltimore isn’t in full Win-now mode?!?     Aren’t the Ravens one of the best run franchises year in and year out?!?   They are to me.    

First Ozzie and now DeCosta are top GMs.   John Harbaugh is an excellent HC.   They have top coordinators.   Why are they to blame for not winning more?   Jackson has been hurt both of the last two seasons and missed considerable time.  I think Baltimore is as well run a franchise as there is.   If they’re playing hard ball with Lamar — and they are — I think there is darn good reason.   I support Baltimore far more than I do Jackson.   I think LJ is young and immature and has mismanaged his own career very badly.   My two cents.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Im willing to have a discussion but if you're just gonna troll you should just move on. Im not easy to bother.

Nope, just wanted to point out that you dismissed someone else's take on Lamar as speculation, but you're doing the same.

You have one good year to base your defense of him to go on, but that has nothing to do with the future, and I see his successful record as being just as much to do with the team as his talents.

Another mentioned he may be a top 6 - 7 QB in the league. I agree, but think that says more about the decline of the talent at the position in the league as opposed to his ability to play the QB position. I see him as a wildcat guy who's going to continue to get hurt, as is the case with most all, if not all, running QBs. 

Considering a running QB for a $2m fully guaranteed contract after is incredibly difficult for me to justify. Actually, I couldn't justify the 'guaranteed' part for pretty much anyone, at any job. Not at that rate.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who says Baltimore isn’t in full Win-now mode?!?     Aren’t the Ravens one of the best run franchises year in and year out?!?   They are to me.    

First Ozzie and now DeCosta are top GMs.   John Harbaugh is an excellent HC.   They have top coordinators.   Why are they to blame for not winning more?   Jackson has been hurt both of the last two seasons and missed considerable time.  I think Baltimore is as well run a franchise as there is.   If they’re playing hard ball with Lamar — and they are — I think there is darn good reason.   I support Baltimore far more than I do Jackson.   I think LJ is young and immature and has mismanaged his own career very badly.   My two cents.  

He’s certainly backed himself into a corner. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. We got a better deal on a superior QB IMO that's also younger.

Maybe I’m not understanding you? 

If Hurts were lost for the entire season, you think Minshew (if he were the Philly backup) would win more games in a full 17 game season than Mariotta?   I don’t. 

Forget the contract, all things being equal, I think Mariotta is the better QB.  He might lead the Eagles to 8-10 wins.   Minshew might win 6-8 games.  I think Marriott has the higher ceiling and floor.  

But factoring everything in….  I think Mariotta is with the right team.  The backup for a playoff caliber team.  And Minshew is also with the right team.  The backup with a team that’s re-tooling this year.    Each player is with the right team.  

Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Nope, just wanted to point out that you dismissed someone else's take on Lamar as speculation, but you're doing the same.

You have one good year to base your defense of him to go on, but that has nothing to do with the future, and I see his successful record as being just as much to do with the team as his talents.

Another mentioned he may be a top 6 - 7 QB in the league. I agree, but think that says more about the decline of the talent at the position in the league as opposed to his ability to play the QB position. I see him as a wildcat guy who's going to continue to get hurt, as is the case with most all, if not all, running QBs. 

Considering a running QB for a $2m fully guaranteed contract after is incredibly difficult for me to justify. Actually, I couldn't justify the 'guaranteed' part for pretty much anyone, at any job. Not at that rate.

I have asked this before and have yet to get an answer that makes sense. What is a Running QB? That is a serious question. Anyone?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Hurts were lost for the entire season, you think Minshew (if he were the Philly backup) would win more games in a full 17 game season than Mariotta?   I don’t. 

Forget the contract, all things being equal, I think Mariotta is the better QB.  He might lead the Eagles to 8-10 wins.   Minshew might win 6-8 games.  I think Marriott has the higher ceiling and floor.  

But factoring everything in….  I think Mariotta is with the right team.  The backup for a playoff caliber team.  And Minshew is also with the right team.  The backup with a team that’s re-tooling this year.    Each player is with the right team.  

Just my two cents. 

I think Minshew would win 8 on the Eagles as the starter, and Mariota would win 4. Mariota is a shell of his former self. Minshew was dominating the Cowboys on offense at the end of the year when he started for Hurts. Put up 30+ points in both games he played. This was with Steichen, mind you. I don't see Mariota putting up 20 points as a starter on the Eagles.

Just my two cents.

Just now, NFLfan said:

I have asked this before and have yet to get an answer that makes sense. What is a Running QB? That is a serious question. Anyone?

A QB that can scramble. Whether it be for huge gains when the pocket is open, or away from pressure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

QB that can scramble. Whether it be for huge gains when the pocket is open, or away from pressure.

But then that would mean most QBs. Is Allen a running QB? Is Minshew a running QB? Is Mahomes a running QB? 

Why are they not just QBs? 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

But then that would mean most QBs. Is Allen a running QB? Is Minshew a running QB? Is Mahomes a running QB? 

Why are they not just QBs? 

Mahomes and Allen are running QBs technically, but not on the level of a Lamar or Hurts. I guess a QB that is just referred to as a QB is commonly known as a pocket passer. Those are the Brady and Peyton's of the older days. There are some examples today like Stafford and Matt Ryan, but those QBs are starting to go extinct as more and more QBs entering the NFL draft are running QBs.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Because the Ravens are one of the very few franchises who have a different formula 

Exactly. The Ravens normally receive the most compensatory picks. Why? They tend to draft well and let many of their players sign with other teams in free agency. They have their price and they don't budge. In fact, they have been a little more flexible with Jackson than they have with others. They offered him tons of money. He chose not to sign. 

(Note regarding compensatory picks: The 49ers have recently been getting comp picks but not for losing players. The Ravens would receive comp picks for losing more players than they signed.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

When you say "lot of players take pay cuts to play with championship caliber QBs", these QBs would be occupying lot of cap space with high priced contracts. 

Lamar has been in rookie contract so far, so why would other players take pay cuts for the QB who gets only a few millions every year? 

I just think that argument is not fair on him. 

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Minshew would win 8 on the Eagles as the starter, and Mariota would win 4. Mariota is a shell of his former self. Minshew was dominating the Cowboys on offense at the end of the year when he started for Hurts. Put up 30+ points in both games he played. This was with Steichen, mind you. I don't see Mariota putting up 20 points as a starter on the Eagles.

Just my two cents.

A QB that can scramble. Whether it be for huge gains when the pocket is open, or away from pressure.

Jared….   You make an interesting point and maybe you’re right.   Maybe.  

But I’d note this….   Both Philly and Indianapolis had the same choice.  Both players were available.   And each team made their respective choices.  And Sirianni knows Minshew as good as Steichen.   So it would appear both the Colts and Eagles would disagree with you. 

Just sayin….

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Mahomes and Allen are running QBs technically, but not on the level of a Lamar or Hurts. I guess a QB that is just referred to as a QB is commonly known as a pocket passer. Those are the Brady and Peyton's of the older days. There are some examples today like Stafford and Matt Ryan, but those QBs are starting to go extinct as more and more QBs entering the NFL draft are running QBs.

Thank you. That is the best reply I have gotten, but I think there is more to it. When Allen first got to the NFL, he had a gun for an arm but he mostly ran. He ran more than Hurts has. Yet he wasn't called a running QB. He was called a QB. Minshew runs a lot too. No one calls him a running QB. 

I think the term Running QB is derogatory. I will leave it at that. 

• Like 1

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

When you say "lot of players take pay cuts to play with championship caliber QBs", these QBs would be occupying lot of cap space with high priced contracts. 

Lamar has been in rookie contract so far, so why would other players take pay cuts for the QB who gets only a few millions every year? 

I just think that argument is not fair on him. 

I see what you are saying, I guess I'm more of less speculating that if he gets that giant contract. If Balitmore could reach afc championship or superbowl with him on the cheap, it's going to be a lot harder now. And I truly believe he is a me first player, lacks leadership. 

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just my two cents. 

That is a hell of a debate between who's better - Mariota vs Minshew? I think it is pretty even. Thing is we pretty much know who Mariota is at this point and it is basically him being an average starter and a good backup. Minshew really hasn't got a chance as a starter for a full season on any team. He was 6-6 with Jacksonville his rookie season which is good considering that team was bad in 2019.

Career wise:

Mariota = 92 TD's/54 INT's

Minshew = 44 TD's/15 INT's

Mariota = 7.5 YPA

Minshew = 7.1 YPA (Minshew was at 8.7 last year on a good team filling in for Hurts)

Mariota - 62.6 Comp%

Minshew - 62.8 Comp%

Mariota eventhough faster, his best season in rushing yards was 359,

Minshew 344 Yards = pretty even.

I think both are basically 8-8 QB's if they have roughly the same surroundings on good teams. Minshew is 3 years younger so he has more time to develop at only 26 years old. 

I would lean Minshew is better as of today but by a hair.

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I almost guarantee no team offers him a deal and he plays on tag this year. Then he will sign a lesser deal than he wanted because it's what he's worth next year. And it won't be with Baltimore...

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe I missed it?   I haven’t seen it in this thread.   But Mike Geisicki, the Miami TE, is now a New England Patriot.   

Signs a 1-year deal.

Thanks for the info. They traded Jonnu Smith at the beginning of FA, so that gives them Henry and Geisicki now. Pretty solid TE tandem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I almost guarantee no team offers him a deal and he plays on tag this year. Then he will sign a lesser deal than he wanted because it's what he's worth next year. And it won't be with Baltimore...

Maybe.   But LJ has cost himself tens and tens of millions of dollars.   And if he leaves Baltimore odds are he’ll end up in a worse situation, not better.   He’s been his own worst enemy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe I missed it?   I haven’t seen it in this thread.   But Mike Geisicki, the Miami TE, is now a New England Patriot.   

Signs a 1-year deal.

I hadn't seen it but it has been reported by many sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cowboys are putting all chip in. Covering their basis, they are far from done IMO. They will probably sign a bigtime WR or trade for one, I can see it coming.

What I like is that they have re-signed many of their players. I'm surprised Dalton Schultz has not been signed. 

Just now, NFLfan said:

What I like is that they have re-signed many of their players. I'm surprised Dalton Schultz has not been signed. 

Letting Zeke go also gives them more cap space. Pollard is a good RB and more than capable of taking over full-time duties. Dak isn't a great QB but is good, load that team up for him and keep the D at the good level, they will be dangerous.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Seahawks are having a pretty good offseason. After what Pete Carroll pulled off last year, I will never doubt him again. I thought the Seahawks would suck last year and they made the playoffs.

For sure. They have not paid a lot to get good players.