Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shane Steichen presser at 12:15

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I agree.

Carr is not going to want to be a bridge.

Maybe keep Foles ?  But after he was carted off on a stretcher it didn't look like he wanted to play anymore.

Possibly, but Foles is a career backup and didn't look good at any point this year after falling flat in Jacksonville, Chicago & here after his Superbowl heroics.

He's not the guy I want our rookie quarterback emulating or trying to learn from, he might be worth holding on to as a #2 going forward, especially if we feel that our young QB will be ready to start within the 1st month of the season, possibly even Week 1.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'm not disputing what you are saying, but I thought that the KC clock management was masterful.  I'm not as high on Reid as many others are just because I think like almost every other great HC the biggest factor is the QB.  He had close to a decade between McNabb and Mahomes with a pretty unremarkable record.   But during the SB, I actually thought that the 4th Q game/clock management was great.  I also don't think it's that complex and can't understand why so many teams don't do a better job of it.  But I actually thought that was great.  

These guys have sheets of what to do in down and distance and they really just have to pick one of a few scenarios when it comes to clock/game management. 

Playcalling is interesting.  Even at the HS level, it can be pretty complex, but you usually designate a "get the damn play in" guy that watches the play clock and reminds the caller it's time.   

What I am I guess diputing somewhat is if a guy is a masterful playcaller then he should probably be calling the plays IMO and delegate some of the other duties to other staff.  Or just be able to make quick decisions.  LIke I said I don't think game/clock management should be all that complex or as surprising as it seems to be to some teams. 

But if you have a "genius" play caller or whatever, then I don't see what could be more important than that as a duty game in and game out. 

In Reid's case, he's been a good play caller forever, IMO. And also, sometimes downright bad with game/clock management, challenges, etc. The SB decisions I mentioned weren't egregious, just situations where I thought they could have made a better choice. It would be a stretch for me to say that those decisions suffered specifically because Reid is the play caller. Like you said, a lot of the decisions are made during prep, but those decisions are influenced by what's happening in the moment.

Hypothetically, the offense wants to go hurry up, but one of the best DL players just went into the medical tent. Is the HC/play caller aware of that in the moment, while he's calling 2nd and 8? If he was aware, would it influence how he handles this set of downs? 

I think my point stands regarding communication with other coaches and other units, etc. I agree with the bolded, but some of this game management stuff can't be delegated. Play calling can. But yeah, if your HC is a genius play caller, I get it, let him do his thing. But I don't think most guys are genius play callers, even the ones that think they are. There are exceptions to most rules, I'm just saying in general, I would prefer that the HC not be one of the primary play callers, so he can effectively manage all aspects of the game.

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

So tired of the Irsay disrespect. 

I made a comment about him earlier to the first time in a long while. 

I’m very glad we have Irsay as an owner. However, it’s undeniable that he just is not a good public speaker, especially at press conferences. 

In fact, go watch Steichen make a slight smirk towards Ballard when Irsay was explaining how tough of a process it was. 

1 minute ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Shane said he prefers to stay as Play caller.

How do u guys think that translate??

I prefer it for the first year or two. 

If I’m a first time head coach & I know I’m an elite play caller, I wouldn’t trust someone else for my job either. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

My opinion on this pre-dates Reich. I've always been opposed to the HC being the primary play caller, and even the guys that do it well are still giving something up in other areas of the game.

I don't mind it. Let him try to handle it all. Some coaches do it seamlessly. If he gets overwhelmed, do the necessary adjustments and delegation of duties... :dunno:

Just now, stitches said:

I don't mind it. Let him try to handle it all. Some coaches do it seamlessly. If he gets overwhelmed, do the necessary adjustments and delegation of duties... :dunno:

That seems to be what Sirianni did in Philly, and it didn't take long for him to delegate play calling. That's something I appreciate about Sirianni, and kind of hoped would rub off on Steichen. 

It's just not my preference, but I'm sure the staff will work though everything.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That seems to be what Sirianni did in Philly, and it didn't take long for him to delegate play calling. That's something I appreciate about Sirianni, and kind of hoped would rub off on Steichen. 

It's just not my preference, but I'm sure the staff will work though everything.

My thinking is... we know he's good at it. We know he has good feel for it and can playcall... why not try it? See if it works... it's not like we are in a hurry. With a rookie QB we are not going anywhere fast. He can use this season to explore his limits as a HC/playcaller/time and game manager. And he has the example of Sirianni in case things don't work out, he can always take a step back. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Gotcha, my connection wasn't the best so I must have missed what he said. 

Yeah I just rewatched and I agree, he was trying to be funny with it. Shane didn't seem to mind so it's all cool then. 

My connection was great and i had the same reaction! both our cooler heads prevailed on second watch. lol

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Chris Shepherd has made a gigantic leap based on very little.    Jalen Hurts and Anthony Richardson are not the same guy.   Maybe somewhat similar, but not the same.  

In that one particular way in which Jim was talking about, they are VERY similar. In fact... Richardson might be even better than Hurts. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

In that one particular way in which Jim was talking about, they are VERY similar. In fact... Richardson might be even better than Hurts. 

We will see, the more important thing I heard was Steichen saying that Rivers Hurts and Herbert all had one thing in common and that they all loved the game and were students of it. I'm guessing Steichen is gonna make them show him they possess the mental side of Xs and Os and that they have the work ethic to be the first one in and last one to leave like the previous QBs he worked with. 

We'll get a first look at who they might like after combine interviews

29 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I made a comment about him earlier to the first time in a long while. 

I’m very glad we have Irsay as an owner. However, it’s undeniable that he just is not a good public speaker, especially at press conferences. 

In fact, go watch Steichen make a slight smirk towards Ballard when Irsay was explaining how tough of a process it was. 

I agree; he is a horrible public speaker, but that's not the same as implying that he is dumb. 

4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

We will see, the more important thing I heard was Steichen saying that Rivers Hurts and Herbert all had one thing in common and that they all loved the game and were students of it. I'm guessing Steichen is gonna make them show him they possess the mental side of Xs and Os and that they have the work ethic to be the first one in and last one to leave like the previous QBs he worked with. 

We'll get a first look at who they might like after combine interviews

Yep, absolutely agreed... that would be key for any of the QBs we pick IMO. They all need a lot of improvements and them having the drive and work ethic to improve will be important. 

25 minutes ago, stitches said:

In the area of running — maybe.   

But in the area of passing,  of reading defenses, of decision making, AR isn’t even close.   Not even a little.    And he might not ever be.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But in the area of passing,  of reading defenses, of decision making, AR isn’t even close.   Not even a little.    And he might not ever be.  

Based on what I’ve seen so far, none of these top prospects are. I think it was noteworthy that they brought up when Hurts was taken. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

True... but then again, that's the bet teams make with pretty much any QB in the draft. None of them are finished products. Some have a longer way to go, some are closer to their their ceiling, but you have to coach and improve pretty much all of them in order to make them franchise QBs. 

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How could you possibly have an opinion on how Frank held players accountable or not?

It is obviously an outsiders opinion from a Fans perspective - by the his teams lack of consistency , poor starts to the season and individual games, players failing to execute to their potential. You obviously have a different opinion. This is a forum and everyone has an opinion, but that is mine.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

True... but then again, that's the bet teams make with pretty much any QB in the draft. None of them are finished products. Some have a longer way to go, some are closer to their their ceiling, but you have to coach and improve pretty much all of them in order to make them franchise QBs. 

Richardson is further away than any other prospect.   By far.   13 starts.   Less than 1000 snaps.    And his weakest skill-set are the most important ones.   Not just throwing…. But pre-snap read, post-snap read,  going through progressions,  dealing with blitzes, footwork…. You name it, it’s a long list. 

Ballard has always been concerned with the high bust rate for quarterbacks, and no quarterback since Ballard became a GM in 2017 has a higher potential bust rate.  Lowest potential floor.  

If the Colts wind up taking AR, I’m assuming it’s purely a Steichen call, that Ballard is giving his new HC the QB he wants and CB will trust his new coach and hope for the best.    I hope that’s not the case. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Accuracy:

vcilxvcqhhda1.jpg

Playmaking(look at the EPA on scrambles):

FoZKmNLagAUqXsh?format=jpg&name=small

FoZNdyzaIAAryCt?format=jpg&name=large

But "accuracy" can mean many things when a coach is speaking into a mic.  It could mean how accurate can the QB throw a ball 30 yards down field in a 3 ft window between a Corner and a Safety when on the move.    That would probably mean Levis or maybe Stroud.   

These guys will speak again after the draft, and will probably try to link the decision they just made to something they said weeks before in a way that nobody ever thought of. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Richardson is further away than any other prospect.   By far.   13 starts.   Less than 1000 snaps.    And his weakest skill-set are the most important ones.   Not just throwing…. But pre-snap read, post-snap read,  going through progressions,  dealing with blitzes, footwork…. You name it, it’s a long list. 

Ballard has always been concerned with the high bust rate for quarterbacks, and no quarterback since Ballard became a GM in 2017 has a higher potential bust rate.  Lowest potential floor.  

If the Colts wind up taking AR, I’m assuming it’s purely a Steichen call, that Ballard is giving his new HC the QB he wants and CB will trust his new coach and hope for the best.    I hope that’s not the case. 

Yeah, he has only dropped back 455 times in college. Currently, has zero touch on his throws - everything is a laser. ( He was 86th in screen throws in college.)  I would be shocked if Ballard selected Richardson in the upcoming draft.

I agree that it would take a strong sel by Steichen to flip the tables on drafting Richardson, although the first trait Steichen mentioned in the presser was accuracy.

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I like repeating myself on this, Richardson is not an nfl qb. I wouldn't draft him in the seventh round. Move up to 1, take Stroud and the wins will pile up. Stroud is going to be an excellent nfl qb.

I agree with your take on Richardson. Very Geno smith , and that’s his ceiling and even then that’s a stretch. 

as for trading up, I’m just not seeing the value . Honestly, we’re in a bad spot in this draft and needing a QB. I’m almost at the point of rolling with Sam E this year even though it won’t do much good and will take another year to get a QB. Meaning more mileage on everyone else. I just don’t know

We have to take the qb this year, we are at 4. This is the highest draft position we have had since 2018(and who wanted any of those qb's?) Steichen didn't come here to go 4-13 and pick a qb next year. Stroud is better than anyone who will be coming out next year(Williams, Maye, Hartman to name 3).

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He is further away than any other prospect. But I disagree about the degree here and I disagree about some of the things that people automatically list as weaknesses. For example, he's better reading the field and defenses than people give him credit for. He's much better moving in the pocket and evading blitzes than people give him credit for(example - he's one of the best players in the draft at avoiding sacks - really low pressure to sack ratio). IMO his biggest problem bar none is his footwork and accuracy. This is the real bottleneck for his talent right now.  

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I disagree. I think Richardson fits a lot of the physical and athletic traits Ballard loves in his players at other positions. but his rawness and pressure for this team to perform early might indeed make Ballard stray away from Richardson. 

Archived