Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

43 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If we add hyatt to pierce and and pittman. Get campbell back and actually use woods and granson properly the offense will be alot better. Not to mention the other te that got hurt.

I don’t get Hyatt. 

If we’re going to draft another WR it better be a guy who brings something we don’t have already. We have guys who can take off down the side line already. We need a twitchy type who can get YACs. 

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Their workhorse was Hurts.  Gainwell and Sanders were more Hines.  They were used more than Hines was here, because Hurts isn't the big play threat that JT is.  So our workhorse got more carries than Philly's did.

Hurts would not be used like he was with a workhorse back on the team. I dont think Steichen main offense purposely requires using a running QB as the base if the offense. Its just what worked for their particular situation and the skillset of that QB. If we draft CJ Stroud im sure wed take a different approach. Especially with the backs we have.

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

Don't knock the talent just because it's been under utilized. Sure we don't have A.J brown but MPJ, Campbell and Pierce arent exactly slouches either. Woods showed promise and JT is hands down the better back then Sanders.

Underutilized rookies?  They are supposed to not be utilized in a diverse way.  They were used like rookies.   Brown is a 4 year vet and Smith was talented enough to be pick #8 and contribute right away.  Goedert has better hands than any of our TEs.  

Philly doesn't have a JT.  They have two Hines's. 

Next, season, there is going to be an adjustment from Phillies O because Steichen is going to have to figure out how to use our straight line big play RB...if he can figure out a way...that he didn't have to use in Philly.   Do you think JTs usage and playing time will be a lot different?. 

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So what.  His number of pass attempts is down there in the Murray, Fields, and Lamar quarter.  425.  OTOH, Burrow had 568 attempts.   Mahomes had 622.  Philly is a run based offense, not a sling it to the wideouts offense, and that's what I expect our O to look like.

Mahomes has about 200 more attempts than Hurts, but they are almost indentical at 30+, 40+ and 50+ yards attempts. Mahomes has more dink and dunk attempts where Philly run instead. That’s what we’re going to do because of JT. But we’re going to sling it down field just as much as any other team. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Underutilized rookies?  They are supposed to not be utilized in a diverse way.  They were used like rookies.   Brown is a 4 year vet and Smith was talented enough to be pick #8 and contribute right away.  Goedert has better hands than any of our TEs.  

Philly doesn't have a JT.  They have two Hines's. 

Next, season, there is going to be an adjustment from Phillies O because Steichen is going to have to figure out how to use our straight line big play RB...if he can figure out a way...that he didn't have to use in Philly.   Do you think JTs usage and playing time will be a lot different?. 

Do you actually watch football? Honest too God question.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Mahomes has about 200 more attempts than Hurts, but they are almost indentical at 30+, 40+ and 50+ yards attempts. Mahomes has more dink and dunk attempts where Philly run instead. That’s what we’re going to do because of JT. But we’re going to sling it down field just as much as any other team. 

IF ballard can fix the o-line

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t get Hyatt. 

If we’re going to draft another WR it better be a guy who brings something we don’t have already. We have guys who can take off down the side line already. We need a twitchy type who can get YACs. 

Hyatt is the definition of a twitchy receiver..

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hurts would not be used like he was with a workhorse back on the team. I dont think Steichen main offense purposely requires using a running QB as the base if the offense. Its just what worked for their particular setup.

But Steichen now has JT, who is going to have to have a steady number of plays.  Unless he wants to ignore the "best" RB in the NFL, our straight ahead runner is going to get a lot of handoffs.

If our oline improves to where they can block different plays, we might see some real differences, IMO.

3 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

IF ballard can fix the o-line

Sure, but besides QB I’m betting the Oline is our biggest focus this off season. It HAS to improve (and significantly so) or Ballard is going to look like a complete fool in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Right.  Philly with Hurts is a run based offense.   So Steichen is going to take his run-based offense here.  And he will have to use JT, or else he's an *.   

IMO, our offense will only look different than the Reich offense if we flipped it to a pass based offense.  Like KC, BUFF, or CIN.  I think many people think that's what Philly is, and what we will have.  Neither is true, IMO.

I don't see that happening with Steichen, or with a young QB.  So I don't see where its going to look much different.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

From what I’ve seen he’s basically a deep threat WR. Flowers is a twitchy WR. 

537 yards of his 1267 were after the catch..

He's not just a deep threat receiver and even if he was just that, he's better at it than every WR on the team 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Right.  Philly with Hurts is a run based offense.   So Steichen is going to take his run-based offense here.  And he will have to use JT, or else he's an *.   

IMO, our offense will only look different than the Reich offense if we flipped it to a pass based offense.  Like KC, BUFF, or CIN.  I think many people think that's what Philly is, and what we will have.  Neither is true, IMO.

I don't see that happening with Steichen, or with a young QB.  So I don't see where its going to look much different.

I’ll give you Cin and Buf as passing first offenses but the KC offense lives and breathes on Mahomes legs. He has way more rushing attempts than Hurts, who you say is a run first QB. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

i was listening to Lombardi on his podcast and he said that Steichen will be taking that 6 pack offense with him to Indy. I think that will tell use a lot on who we see them drafting. Young...no he is way to small and will get killed if he has to run like Hurts I dont know if Stroud if athletic enough. It would probably come down to Levis and I am kind of in love with Richardson

What is the 6 pack offense?

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’ll give you Cin and Buf as passing first offenses but the KC offense lives and breathes on Mahomes legs. He has way more rushing attempts than Hurts, who you say is a run first QB. 

Stats are misleading.  Escaping sacks for positive yards is considered a rush. 

Mahomes extends plays sideways before he takes off, and often times attempts the pass play as called.  Hurts has more runs called, and also abandons the pass quicker.  He's more of a runner, and its an integral part of the Philly O.   

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What they do in Philly appears to be run based but i think this guy is smart and skilled enough to design the offense around what accentuates the skill of our personnel. I think he will do what works. If we can get em through the air you will see that. I dont think hes going to force us to be a running team exclusively.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

What they do in Philly appears to be run based but i think this guy is smart and skilled enough to design the offense around what accentuates the skill of our personnel. I think he will do what works. If we can get em through the air you will see that. I dont think hes going to force us to be a running team exclusively.

I’d be more concerned if he hadn’t experienced Rivers and other offenses that weren’t based on running qb

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's fine, but Rivers did not lead a great O when Steichen was there and Herbert's O was not top notch.   I'm just saying that with the excitement of Steichen coming on board, I don't see where its going to be transformational next year.  I see the hire as Ballard staying the course.

The personnel is going to have to improve.  The personnel wasn't great in SD and not great in LAC, so don't expect the Colts O to look like Philly's any time soon, IMO, just because Philly's O coordinator was hired.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It's going to look different in one area.....the scoreboard.

Just now, Jackie Daytona said:

That anomaly is the only thing that matters relative to what we need for next season.  Two plus years ago is forever in NFL terms.

But the anomaly was obviously not the coaches fault....because it was an anamoly..so why do so many think that a new coach fixes the problem?

When we get moving on the quarterback position I think we will be trying to see if the Bears would be interested in trading Fields.  The cost to acquire Fields would be much cheaper than going to number 1.  Maybe the Bears fall in love with one of these guys you never know.  That could work out really well for the Colts if they do.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

When we get moving on the quarterback position I think we will be trying to see if the Bears would be interested in trading Fields.  The cost to acquire Fields would be much cheaper than going to number 1.  Maybe the Bears fall in love with one of these guys you never know.  That could work out really well for the Colts if they do.  

How smart is Fields? 

Steichen has worked with some pretty smart QBs.  Hurts, Rivers, and Herbert.   I think Levis becomes more in play with Steichen now.  4.0 GPA supposedly.

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My son said there is a way to track a jet’s course and flight time and there you have it.  

Yep, you just need (I believe) the jet's tail # and you can see where it is and a bunch of other info.

Here's a live tracker I found the Colts jet's info on:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/A0432/history/20230213/2042Z/KPHX/KIND

ETA 6:50pm

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yep, you just need (I believe) the jet's tail # and you can see where it is and a bunch of other info.

Here's a live tracker I found the Colts jet's info on:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/A0432/history/20230213/2042Z/KPHX/KIND

ETA 6:50pm

can you tell me when i'll get home in my car if i give you my license plate number?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

So what.  His number of pass attempts is down there in the Murray, Fields, and Lamar quarter.  425.  OTOH, Burrow had 568 attempts.   Mahomes had 622.  Philly is a run based offense, not a sling it to the wideouts offense, and that's what I expect our O to look like.

Philly is run based offense because they do a ton of designed runs with their QB, which helps with the run game in general not just the QB run game(Also, when teams have a lot of big leads, which Philly did this year, this usually skews the stats a bit more towards running the ball in order to drain time/keep leads). Justin Herbert was close to the top of the league in pass attempts(595 in 15 games) when Steichen was his OC there. People should stop looking at raw stats and ignoring the context they are coming with. The reality is, it will depend on what type of QB we bring in. If we get Richardson, our offense will likely look very similar to Steichen's Philly offense, if we get Stroud it might look a bit like Steichen/Reich's Rivers offense, If we get Levis/Young it might look like Steichen's Herbert offense. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Your stats are crap for evaluating the intent of the offense.  Philly has a run based offense.  

The difference is that the Colts power runner was JT.  With Philly, the power runner was the QB (but not as many carries as JT obviously).  Sanders and Gainwell are not power runners...they are the Hines...with nuances because you can't run Hurts like a RB, so they had some power runs too.

Basically, Philly had our offense except Hurts did a lot of the running JT did, with a few more shots downfield because of the fear of him running, better WRs,  and the superior oline.  

And look at what he did with Herbert while also having Ekeler. Herbert led the league in pass attempts. I guess giving facts and stats is crap now. You're going to interpret it however you choose, which is fine. It's wrong though.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

wow glad this is coming to an end here soon.

im ready to hear about philosophy and seeing some colts media about the upcoming draft. 

hopefully we get more of the behind the scenes on draft night and stuff like that

Ballard's job depends on this draft. 

Coming to an end? The Jet tracking season is just starting... there are about 5 QBs we are likely to fly to Indy for in person workouts and visits. Hang on tight and get the :popcorn:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Philly is run based offense because they do a ton of designed runs with their QB, which helps with the run game in general not just the QB run game. Justin Herbert was at the top of the league in pass attempts(595 in 15 games) when Steichen was his OC there. 

If Steichen tailors the offense to the personnel, then we will be a running team.  Until the personnel changes or evolves, if that's possible.  

Ekelar's game is based on his versatility, IMO.

Look, I like the hire,...he was my favorite candidate. If we start seeing some trades of our players or free agent shuffling of the roster I will get more excited about the potential changes next season than simply replacing the HC and OC.  

Steichen has a lot of work to do.

Archived