Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sean Payton hired Denver HC

csmopar

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Like Gruden, outside the firing, Sean Payton would be like that Steve Miller Band, "Go on, take the money and run..." :) 

all I know is imagine if Payton isn’t able to fix Wilson… Denver could be in major trouble for a long time

It was highly expected since the beginning that Payton would land there. I'm surprised it took so long. 

The Broncos are back in WIN NOW mode and a legitimate threat for years to come to the chiefs for division titles. I said it earlier there are only two teams in that division that can go far, and neither are raiders or chargers. 

I don't think Wilson "needs a fix", he looked very good in the final game. It was probably some injuries he carried over the years that set him back last year. He also looked overweight to start last season, and probably had lost hunger for the game and success. He had coasted for last many years with Seahawks, not rushing much and taking games to last quarter and not going for the kill in games for many years now. 

If anything, it's his mind. He needs to see for himself and reevaluate how he wants to end his career. He may need someone to give him the push in right direction. 

I'm not sure whether it will make him do better and if he'll ever get back his desire to be a serious contender, but I don't think he needs any fix other than what he needs to get it mentally back. 

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

May I ask why? 

Do you think whoever the colts hire will be better and win more games than the Broncos??

I wouldn’t want to give up that much draft capital. The Colts need a lot of roster moves and a whole coaching staff. I don’t believe he would be a difference maker here.

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I don't think Wilson "needs a fix", he looked very good in the final game. It was probably some injuries he carried over the years that set him back last year. He also looked overweight to start last season, and probably had lost hunger for the game and success. He had coasted for last many years with Seahawks, not rushing much and taking games to last quarter and not going for the kill in games for many years now. 

If anything, it's his mind. He needs to see for himself and reevaluate how he wants to end his career. He may need someone to give him the push in right direction. 

I'm not sure whether it will make him do better and if he'll ever get back his desire to be a serious contender, but I don't think he needs any fix other than what he needs to get it mentally back. 

Yeah I agree. Once Hackett was gone Wilson looked a lot better. I'm wondering if the media overplayed the whole "Wilson only cares about his image" trope. 

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I wouldn’t want to give up that much draft capital. The Colts need a lot of roster moves and a whole coaching staff. I don’t believe he would be a difference maker here.

True the colts need their draft picks more this year than other years to draft a QB.

But you need three things in this league:

1. The powers that be on your side.

2. A good to Top HC

3. A very good to elite QB.

There's No Guarantee that the colts will draft and develop the right QB with the 4th pick. But Payton for sure is the right HC and thats a bird in the hand compared to two in the bush.....and Payton also checks off box #1 because he's a Box Office coach that is  guaranteed to do well. But that also eliminated him from coming to the colts because we know the powers that be are not on the colts side and wouldn't want us to have a Payton type coach.

So in the end it is a moot point. haha

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

True the colts need their draft picks more this year than other years to draft a QB.

But you need three things in this league:

1. The powers that be on your side.

2. A good to Top HC

3. A very good to elite QB.

There's No Guarantee that the colts will draft and develop the right QB with the 4th pick. But Payton for sure is the right HC and thats a bird in the hand compared to two in the bush.....and Payton also checks off box #1 because he's a Box Office coach that is  guaranteed to do well. But that also eliminated him from coming to the colts because we know the powers that be are not on the colts side and wouldn't want us to have a Payton type coach.

So in the end it is a moot point. haha

I agree, but believe that good to great coordinator’s are more important than the head coach. I believe that a lesser head coach can be good provided he has a good support staff. The Colts do not have that and not sure they can fill those positions with high quality guys at this point. I heard Drew Bledsoe say on Cowards show that he had some better coaches in high school than some in the NFL. Good ole boys club ya know. Lol

57 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I agree, but believe that good to great coordinator’s are more important than the head coach. I believe that a lesser head coach can be good provided he has a good support staff. The Colts do not have that and not sure they can fill those positions with high quality guys at this point. I heard Drew Bledsoe say on Cowards show that he had some better coaches in high school than some in the NFL. Good ole boys club ya know. Lol

I probably think a lot of teams that aren't really supposed to win will have the coaching staff "dumb them down" as opposed to the winning teams coaches "coach them up". 

Which explains why Venturi  often complains that the colts OL can't handle simple stunts. Lol

12 hours ago, Derakynn said:

Dug the hole even deeper. Doubled down on that horrid Wilson trade. They are screwed if Payton can't fix Wilson.

Yep. And anything is possible but I seriously doubt it. Wilson is done and a coach trying to "coach up" a guy that far along in (near the end of) his career is IMO fool's gold and they are just praying for a miracle. Would have liked him as our coach but not for our high first-round pick. Our high second-rounder maybe, pending other details. 

Archived