Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

11 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I think Stroud and Young will be gone.  I'd be ok with plans 1a and 1b.  I'm not sure we have any other reasonable options at this point.

I think at 4 we'll be able to choose between AR and levis.

My gut instinct tells me its going to be Levis. Levis has Jacob Eason measurables which is the last QB Ballard drafted

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, philba101 said:

This is hilarious. I was just reading an article that everyone inside the Panthers loves C.J. Stroud and have signed off on him. But, if it was up to coach Frank Reich, the pick would be Richardson. 

“If it’s up to Frank Reich, yes,” he replied. “I think what’s gone on or, what I’ve been told, is that everybody in the room is really heavily leaning towards C.J. Stroud. C.J. Stroud did well at the combine, he did well at the pro day and I’m told that the interviews with C.J. Stroud—he’s knocked them out of the park. And he’s very genuine, he’s been very forthright and he’s a likable guy. I’m told that everybody in the building is heavily leaning—if not, checked off the box on C.J. Stroud.

“I’m told that Frank Reich, if he had his way, would go with Anthony Richardson because of the upside, because of what Anthony Richardson could be two or three years down the road. It’s just a matter of how much of a fight is Frank Reich gonna put up in that war room to say, ‘Hey, listen, I want Anthony Richardson.’ I think right now, there’s probably less than a 20-percent chance it’s Anthony Richardson and all signs are pointing towards C.J. Stroud.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/panthers-hc-frank-reich-reportedly-175025979.html

So the Panthers love everyone! Is this all a smokescreen because they really want to take Will Levis?

I think Frank will get whoever he wants.  

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They either want Levis or Richardson. Depending on their motives, they are either being truthful towards their intention to draft Levis, or putting on an act to steer teams away from Richardson if they trade up to 3.

If Stroud or Young somehow fall ,one of them will be the choice at 3. (Trade up,) If not, the Colts will choose between Levis and Richardson and the choice will be whoever they feel is better from the neck up.

52 minutes ago, Indeee said:

At this point, if I'm the Colts, if they take a QB at 4, then I would also take a QB in the third or fourth as well.

BYU guy in 3rd or Bennett in 4th

After seeing the Malik Willis debacle and the Lance situation in SF, I would let each of them beat one or the other out for the job.

I'm not even joking here. 

I've been thinking this for a bit. It really looks like we're about to double down on QB just in case. QB controversy is not a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Frank will get whoever he wants.  

They did a mock the other night on the NFL Network's Path to the Draft Show where Richardson was taken at #1 by Carolina, Young went #2 to the Texans, and Stroud fell to the Colts at #4. 

Just now, philba101 said:

They did a mock the other night on the NFL Network's Path to the Draft Show where Richardson was taken at #1 by Carolina, Young went #2 to the Texans, and Stroud fell to the Colts at #4. 

I really think the top 10 picks are going to surprise a lot of people including myself 

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

I really think the top 10 picks are going to surprise a lot of people including myself 

I agree, NFL.com had a stat the other day saying never in the history of the NFL draft have four QB's gone in the top 9 picks. However, that is a what a lot of these analysts are predicting. I am guessing one of these four guys might fall out of the top 10.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

I agree, NFL.com had a stat the other day saying never in the history of the NFL draft have four QB's gone in the top 9 picks. However, that is a what a lot of these analysts are predicting. I am guessing one of these four guys might fall out of the top 10.

How about this one?   I'd be more than happy with this first round.   

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-every-team-should-do-in-round-1

6 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

How about this one?   I'd be more than happy with this first round.   

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-mock-draft-with-a-twist-what-every-team-should-do-in-round-1

If we are not going to take a QB at #4, I would prefer to trade that pick for a future #1 and other picks. This mock above means that we are rolling with Minshew and maybe a later-round QB. I wonder if anyone has offered Ballard a package to move to #4?

How about this one from Bucky Brooks. He has the Colts taking Tyree Wilson at #4 and Levis sliding out of the 1st round. I think the Colts would almost definitely take Levis at #35?

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2023-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-colts-pass-on-quarterback-will-levis-falls-

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Just throwing this out there.

Would any of you be interested in Mac Jones or Trey Lance for a 2nd or 3rd if we don't get the QB we want at 4?  

Lance no.  Mac Jones yes.  He had a terrific rookie season in 2021.  Made the all rookie team and pro bowl I believe.  Belichick screwed him last year with a new OC who was actually a DC.  How was that supposed to work?  Belichick is now embarrassed and angry with him.  That’s the only reason he might be available.  I’ll take this castoff off his hands.  Btw he is still on his rookie contract with a 5th year option available in two years.  I would trade our 4th for Lamar and I would swap our 4th for their 14th for Jones if they would be interested.  Jones is very talented and has already proved he is a very good young franchise quarterback in the league.  I would expect a coach like Shane to elevate his game even more.  It probably won’t happen but I think Jones would be an excellent quarterback addition for the team.

19 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised if no QB's were taken in the top 10.   I just keep getting this feeling that it is going to be one of those crazy drafts that starts out unlike all the pundits have been discussing for weeks.

Just now, ClaytonC said:

I agree.  I wouldn't be surprised if no QB's were taken in the top 10.   I just keep getting this feeling that it is going to be one of those crazy drafts that starts out unlike all the pundits have been discussing for weeks.

Philly is taking a QB      I'd almost bet on it.     I can see only 2 in the top 10 or 3 in the top ten.    TBH I don't see 4 

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

People keep mentioning that Richardson my not have an agent.   If he doesn't have an agent can he decide to go back to school or is that a BB thing?   Not even sure that's still a thing    Just curious

I don’t think so. They only had 72 hours after the draft deadline to pull out of draft.

16 minutes ago, philba101 said:

If we are not going to take a QB at #4, I would prefer to trade that pick for a future #1 and other picks. This mock above means that we are rolling with Minshew and maybe a later-round QB. I wonder if anyone has offered Ballard a package to move to #4?

How about this one from Bucky Brooks. He has the Colts taking Tyree Wilson at #4 and Levis sliding out of the 1st round. I think the Colts would almost definitely take Levis at #35?

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2023-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-colts-pass-on-quarterback-will-levis-falls-

Lol

To add another thought Ballard knows how secretive the chiefs were in getting mahomes. His agency leaked stuff to chiefs so chiefs knew exactly where they had to trade up too.  His agent helped get him to the chiefs. So it’s also very possible that is happening with Richardson. It’s going to be a huge mystery until April 27th and we all find out.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To add another thought Ballard knows how secretive the chiefs were in getting mahomes. His agency leaked stuff to chiefs so chiefs knew exactly where they had to trade up too.  His agent helped get him to the chiefs. So it’s also very possible that is happening with Richardson. It’s going to be a huge mystery until April 27th and we all find out.

Possible.   The way AR15 answered the question at the combine is kinda odd.  And I'm not conspiracy guy.  

36 minutes ago, ClaytonC said:

And now we have someone saying they wouldn’t be surprised if NO quarterbacks are taken in the top-10. 

This off season has now officially gone on WAY too long. 

Oh, Dear God….    :facepalm:

Whatever you think of this years draft of quarterbacks, this class is better than last year.   Much better.    Even if two or three bust. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Regardless, I would still do it. 

That's doubling down on a problem and hoping gold falls out of the tree. Doesn't work like that. You make a decision, you commit, and you do everything possible to make it work.

40 minutes ago, ClaytonC said:

That is the most insane take I've heard this entire off-season. You don't trade to the top of the draft to take any other position other then QB.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sad to see Chris aging fast.

Not sure if you’re aware.   But Chris is a cancer survivor and I think he really took a beating.   Lost a lot of weight.   What I think we’re seeing is more than just natural aging.   But I get what you’re saying, he doesn’t look the same.    

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Benjamin Solek looks like he’s 17 and wearing his first suit.   

Im sure he has weeks and weeks of experience and knowledge.     

Sigh….   

He's a good analyst. He looks young, but he's been doing the draft thing for a few years. He used to be with the Draft Network if I'm not mistaken before he moved to The Ringer. I try not to disparage analysts that do the work, even if I disagree with their opinions. I would much rather hear from someone who has actually watched the film, charted the games and formed some opinions over some other talking heads just regurgitating what they are hearing for clicks.  

36 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Since we were talking about it. Has anyone seen any predictions on what the Colts could possibly get if they traded the 4th overall pick? (Besides Lamar Jackson that is)

I would think it all depends on how far down the board the Colts are willing to move?    The more they move the more they’d get. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's a good analyst. He looks young, but he's been doing the draft thing for a few years. He used to be with the Draft Network if I'm not mistaken before he moved to The Ringer. I try not to disparage analysts that do the work, even if I disagree with their opinions. I would much rather hear from someone who has actually watched the film, charted the games and formed some opinions over some other talking heads just regurgitating what they are hearing for clicks.  

I question how much a person this young could know?    I give him credit for doing the work.   But the people who do this for a living haven’t been doing this for a few years, they’ve been doing it for tens of years, in some cases even dozens of years.   More than 20, more than 30. 

Many people here simply go with the opinion of the analyst they agree with.   And it doesn’t matter if they’re young and inexperienced.   It often doesn’t matter if they’re just passing along rumors.   If the rumor is what a poster wants (sign Lamar!) then the poster is all for it. 

I keep trying to stress, there’s a lot of noise out there.   A lot of info that shouldn’t even be credible, but it is to some.   I try to trust the people who have been doing this a long time and have done the work and made the contacts.   Doesn’t mean they’re always going to be right.   But they’re going to be closer to reality than the rest.  

Sorry for the rant.  

Archived