Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Damar Hamlin

CR91

On 1/3/2023 at 7:53 AM, DEColtsLover36 said:

I saw that some players and other teams sent out tweets regarding Hamlin.  Does anyone know if any Colts players or the Colts team sent out any tweets? This forum is the closest to social media I engage in, so I don’t know what’s out there but just wondering if anyone saw anything from our guys.

I have seen some. One Colts player, Rodney Thomas, said he was a high school teammate of Hamlin. 

https://theathletic.com/realtime/50SoCze85xML/?share=app_brief_share

Here is support from the Colts:

https://theathletic.com/realtime/Gc2jwQHfXwyo/?share=app_brief_share

I don't know how to embed these messages from the Athletic. This one above said that Irsay had made one of the largest donations, $25,003. The 3 represents Hamlin's number.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I have seen some. One Colts player, Rodney Thomas, said he was a high school teammate of Hamlin. 

https://theathletic.com/realtime/50SoCze85xML/?share=app_brief_share

Here is support from the Colts:

https://theathletic.com/realtime/Gc2jwQHfXwyo/?share=app_brief_share

I don't know how to embed these messages from the Athletic. This one above said that Irsay had made one of the largest donations, $25,003. The 3 represents Hamlin's number.

And people still think Irsay cares about money over his players… 

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And people still think Irsay cares about money over his players… 

Unfortunately there will be a few forum members who will say that Jim only did it for publicity or a tax write off. I guess it comes with the territory for wealthy people.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Unfortunately there will be a few forum members who will say that Jim only did it for publicity or a tax write off. I guess it comes with the territory for wealthy people.  :dunno:

I'm really tired of people who wish to see only the negative side of everything.  Really, why does it matter why he did it. The fact is: he made a donation. Why do we have to question his intentions? :sigh:

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm really tired of people who wish to see only the negative side of everything.  Really, why does it matter why he did it. The fact is: he made a donation. Why do we have to question his intentions? :sigh:

Yep, no one is obligated to give to any charitable cause, and any donation should be received with gratitude.

Years ago, at a tailgate, I took two hotdogs and a coke to a homeless guy, who was sitting in the alley next to the Hurst bean company, and said "here man, we'll share". His reply was " #@*&  couldn't  you have at least gave me *&%*in beer too?1!!."

I just held my tongue, walked away thinking I understand why you are where you are at.

Are any of you guys hockey fans and remember back in the early 90’s when this happened to blues player Chris Prongsr. He was a lucky one and woke up before cpr was needed and played in a game two days later.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/chris-pronger-a-hockey-hall-of-fame-defenseman-recalls-his-scary-cardiac-event/article_08f5b4e6-8ba5-11ed-a65f-c35d78c3fc05.html

2 hours ago, Dunk said:

Yep, no one is obligated to give to any charitable cause, and any donation should be received with gratitude.

Years ago, at a tailgate, I took two hotdogs and a coke to a homeless guy, who was sitting in the alley next to the Hurst bean company, and said "here man, we'll share". His reply was " #@*&  couldn't  you have at least gave me *&%*in beer too?1!!."

I just held my tongue, walked away thinking I understand why you are where you are at.

There are homeless people who choose to live that way. There are also people who act homeless to pan handle and con others. 

On 1/3/2023 at 7:53 AM, DEColtsLover36 said:

I saw that some players and other teams sent out tweets regarding Hamlin.  Does anyone know if any Colts players or the Colts team sent out any tweets? This forum is the closest to social media I engage in, so I don’t know what’s out there but just wondering if anyone saw anything from our guys.

Just adding some more. From ESPN:

Colts rookie safety Rodney Thomas, a close high school friend of Hamlin's who refers to him as "a brother," made a desperate 112-mile drive to Cincinnati from Indianapolis late Monday night and was able to get some comfort after visiting Hamlin's hospital room.

"For me it, it definitely calmed me down, just being able to get eyes on him," Thomas, a seventh-round pick from Yale who has made nine starts, said Wednesday. "Being away, it's like, 'What's going on?' I just wanted to go there. I just wanted to be there, and I just wanted to get an understanding of what was going on.".

Thomas touched Hamlin's hand and left him with a message.

"Just letting him know I was there," Thomas said. "I don't know if he could hear me. But I (was) just talking to him, [I said] 'I know you can hear me. Even if you can't, it doesn't matter.'"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35377747/damar-hamlin-showed-signs-overnight-progress-friend-says

I know Skip Bayless was mentioned earlier…he and Shannon Sharpe got into on their show this morning…

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2023/01/fs1s-shannon-sharpe-skip-bayless-have-on-air-blowup-over-hosts-insensitive-damar-hamlin-tweet.html?outputType=amp

I understand both sides of the equation here and had skip simply just said something in his original tweet about Damar and his health, well wishes, something, that tweet would have clearly come off significantly better.

I’ve never publicly said it but man I really don’t like Skip…he just comes off as arrogant and cocky and ignorant so frequently. I wish he’d just skip out of the sports world altogether. 

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The glass half empty guys project their biases and insecurities in any situation, it’s the unfortunate side of humanity. :( 

6 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I know Skip Bayless was mentioned earlier…he and Shannon Sharpe got into on their show this morning…

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2023/01/fs1s-shannon-sharpe-skip-bayless-have-on-air-blowup-over-hosts-insensitive-damar-hamlin-tweet.html?outputType=amp

I understand both sides of the equation here and had skip simply just said something in his original tweet about Damar and his health, well wishes, something, that tweet would have clearly come off significantly better.

I’ve never publicly said it but man I really don’t like Skip…he just comes off as arrogant and cocky and ignorant so frequently. I wish he’d just skip out of the sports world altogether. 

Problem is the medium, not the message. Not what you say but how you say it.

Skip doesn’t have a lower gear than the shock jock gear and it can’t be applied to every situation, IMO. But he’s definitely smart enough to know what he’s doing, that’s the sad part.

6 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I just saw this tweet and it made me soo freaking happy! Geeze.. I can't immagine the excite and joy and crying his parents must've had.. Thank you Jesus! continue to press on bro!!

Nothing short of a miracle!!! The medical staff in this country, and in this case Cincinnati, are indeed amazing. :hat:

That Bills assistant who immediately performed CPR is an absolute hero. Can’t give him enough credit for recognizing the situation so quickly. Those medical meetings before each game have proven to be so critical to the health and safety of our players. God bless them all!

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They haven’t determined if it was CC that caused it yet as they are still running  tests. If it is determined to be CC and he has no lasting effects he could actually play football again.

What is CC?

lol my co-worker was joking.. he's gonna suit up and start in the superbowl! 

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

What is CC?

lol my co-worker was joking.. he's gonna suit up and start in the superbowl! 

It’s Commotio cordis. It’s just when you get hit in the chest at the exact millisecond your heart is going through a certain cycle.  Very very rare to happen. It happened. To a hockey player in the 90’s. His heart started back up right before cpr and he played a game two days later.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

That Bills assistant who immediately performed CPR is an absolute hero. Can’t give him enough credit for recognizing the situation so quickly. Those medical meetings before each game have proven to be so critical to the health and safety of our players. God bless them all!

Yep, seems like a lot of people did a great job in the aftermath, but the Bills trainer who immediately performed CPR might be the most crucial link in the chain of great professionals who helped. There have been cases in the past of players in sports where emergency care was delayed for one reason or another and it had horrible consequences.

Kudos to everybody that cared for Damar and kudos to Damar for his fighting spirit that helped him pull through! 

My thoughts & prayers go out to this young man - his family & friends - his teammates - and - the Buffalo Bills organization.

I am also praying for the Cincinnati Bengals who showed a great deal of class during - and - after this unfathomable situation.

Truly thrilled to continue hearing news of improvement.

6 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Our guy Rodney Thomas has got to be feeling the best in days. I can only imagine the roller coaster he’s been on since Monday night.

I bet. I'm thrilled and I don't know Hamlin. My biggest concerns were his life as well as his neurological function. To hear that he is neurologically intact is wonderful news.

Btw, I read somewhere that he was also a  high school and college teammate of the Bengals long snapper. 

On Wednesday night, Hamlin was alert and able to follow commands and communicate in writing. He’s unable to speak because he is still using a breathing tube.

Using a pen and paper on a clipboard, Hamlin asked who won the Bills-Bengals game, the doctors said.

The response from a bedside nurse of Hamlin’s: “Yes Damar, you won. You’ve won the game of life.”

https://theathletic.com/4060639/2023/01/05/damar-hamlin-status-health-update-bills?source=user-shared-article

Nurse: "Yes Damar, you won. You've won the game of life"

:scoregood:

Archived