Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Attributes of the Next Head Coach

aReggie7

Attributes of the Next Head Coach  

65 members have voted

1. 1. The most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Previous Head Coaching Experience
    • Overall NFL Experience
  2. 2. The second most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience
  3. 3. The third most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience
  4. 4. The forth most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience
  5. 5. The fifth most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience

Only 2 more games remain in what has been an underwhelming and perhaps one of the most disappointing season the Colts have had in a long time. For me i'm just ready for the regular season to be over. Nothing good/interesting is going to come out of the next 2 weeks for the Colts.

I am curious to known what everyone feels is most important in the next head coach for the Colts. I'm making this poll knowing Jeff Saturday will be a candidate but certainly hoping he is not named the permanent head coach moving forward.

For this poll there are 5 areas I listed and am interested to see what people think is most and least important. I listed them as: 

• Offensive Minded
  • Defensive Minded
  • Leadership
  • Overall NFL Experience

To elaborate on the above areas: 

• Offensive/Defensive minded meaning you want the next HC to specifically specialize in either of those areas.
  • I think leadership/previous head coaching experience are self explanatory. 
  • Overall NFL experience meaning you think experience is important but not necessarily strictly head coaching experience.
    • So guys like Kyle Shanahan and Brian Daboll had multiple coordinator jobs before becoming a head coach compared to others who were a coordinator at 1 stop before becoming a head coach.
    • This is intended to gauge how much emphasis people think should be placed on the depth of experience. 

My order was:

1. Head Coaching Experience 

However, I want it to be someone who has had success, not someone who failed somewhere else. Retired examples are Dungy and Arians. Current examples would be Reid, Pederson, McCarthy.  
I realize there aren’t many of those guys out there (Payton, Harbaugh), but that would be my first option. 

2. NFL experience. 

3. Leadership

4,5. Dont care which side of the ball they come from, including special teams. 

39 minutes ago, coltsva said:

My order was:

1. Head Coaching Experience 

However, I want it to be someone who has had success, not someone who failed somewhere else. Retired examples are Dungy and Arians. Current examples would be Reid, Pederson, McCarthy.  
I realize there aren’t many of those guys out there (Payton, Harbaugh), but that would be my first option. 

2. NFL experience. 

3. Leadership

4,5. Dont care which side of the ball they come from, including special teams. 

I voted a little differently but I too see experience as important for the next coaching hire. I see it that way because I believe if there is someone with experience brought in then it is more likely Irsay will back off a little and let the football people do their jobs.

I am a little more open to some candidates with previous HC experience even if the record wasn't great. Leslie Frazier and Raheem Morris come to mind. I think Frazier has a relationship with Irsay already and will be a real candidate. Obviously his stint as the Vikings HC wasn't great record wise but situations are different and people can get fired and do better the next time around.

Someone who did have some success as a HC previously and available is Dan Quinn. Though I think he is considered a leading candidate for the Denver opening.

While I don't think the next HC has to be a coach from the offensive side they do need a strong plan to fix things here. One thing about Quinn that I don't like about his time as the Falcons HC is how he handled the OC position. He had Kyle Shanahan and then when he got the 49ers HC job he chose Steve Sarkisian and then Dirk Koetter. It doesn't seem like he had a real transition plan there and just brought in guys from outside the building who had previous OC experience. 

I don't want a head coach in here that we think might be able to do it. I want a coach who been there and done that ala Payton or Harbaugh. There to much of well he's done it in college or he's been a good coordinator so let's give him a chance.  No I want someone who's has proven it. So let the arguments begin because I know they will. 

1. Over NFL experience. I’m not a fan of the college coaches. Prefer they’ve been in the league as coordinators. 

2. Offensive minded. I think we’re likely to draft a QB. A HC who has experience coaching and interacting with the teams QB is a must in my opinion. 

3. Leadership. We need a guy who leads from the front and holds the guy accountable. 

4. Previous HC experience. Not a must in my opinion. I’d prefer a younger guy who hasn’t been around the league for decades. 

5. Defensive minded. I put this at 5 because I would like our HC to be an offensive minded coach and at least have experience as an OC.

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

2. Offensive minded. I think we’re likely to draft a QB. A HC who has experience coaching and interacting with the teams QB is a must in my opinion. 

5. Defensive minded. I put this at 5 because I would like our HC to be an offensive minded coach and at least have experience as an OC.

Yeah, if the Colts wanna draft QB, hiring a HC with offensive side experience would be needed, both to identify the franchise QB and to do everything necessary from off-season onwards in developing his game and setting up the offense in line to accentuate the QB's skills and tendencies. 

If there's a defensive side HC, who could get a very competent OC, that would work as well, like Kyle Shanahan with Falcons or Kevin Stefanski with Vikings, but finding such combination would be usually near impossible. Even if we get that combo, the OC would soon depart for a Head Coaching stint. 

I want a head coach that holds players accountable. I want a head coach that has built both college and professional teams into contenders....from scratch. I want a tough minded coach and a team that reflects the same attitude. No more...nice guy coaches please .........I want Jim Harbaugh as the next head coach of the Colts .

It looks like the votes are not supported by the comments. It seems that the voters do not value previous head coaching experience as much, but those who commented want someone who has coach before in the NFL and has had success. Right?

I think leadership is most important, followed by previous head coaching experience. 

Leadership comes the closest, but there can be different STYLES of leadership. I think what's been lacking over the past few years is the 'hard-nose' factor--not to the point of being a jerk, but rather someone for whom a certain standard of play takes precedence over the feelings, goals, or concerns of any individual player. Someone who cares about winning more than being liked. 

Saturday has the leadership requirement nailed down not to mention outstanding NFL experience and reputation.  What he is missing is coaching experience.  I remember many posters here wanted Peyton for coach.  No coaching experience there either.   Regardless what successful leaders do is surround themselves with accomplished subordinates to fill key roles.  All Jeff really has to do is get the OC right.  If he can do it I think we will be fine.  That said my 1st choice would be Harbaugh.  But it’s going to take a lot for that to happen.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Saturday has the leadership requirement nailed down not to mention outstanding NFL experience and reputation.  What he is missing is coaching experience.  I remember many posters here wanted Peyton for coach.  No coaching experience there either.   Regardless what successful leaders do is surround themselves with accomplished subordinates to fill key roles.  All Jeff really has to do is get the OC right.  If he can do it I think we will be fine.  That said my 1st choice would be Harbaugh.  But it’s going to take a lot for that to happen.

If Saturday could land a creative and experienced OC (doesn't have to be years of experience but someone who has already worked on designing plays and game plans in an explosive offense) , it could be fine, assuming defensive and special teams staff stay or get better. 

But, how and where would Saturday get that OC is the question. Which valued OC would be willing to join as OC for this staff? An older OC/HC who doesn't have intention to become HC in near future might work, someone like Pat Shurmur, Nov Turner and the like. But, would their offense turn around the fortune here? Would any modern era, young aspiring OC/game coordinator be available and be willing to join Saturday's team? 

That's hard to imagine it would happen, most likely a retread coach would be willing to join. 

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If Saturday could land a creative and experienced OC (doesn't have to be years of experience but someone who has already worked on designing plays and game plans in an explosive offense) , it could be fine, assuming defensive and special teams staff stay or get better. 

But, how and where would Saturday get that OC is the question. Which valued OC would be willing to join as OC for this staff? An older OC/HC who doesn't have intention to become HC in near future might work, someone like Pat Shurmur, Nov Turner and the like. But, would their offense turn around the fortune here? Would any modern era, young aspiring OC/game coordinator be available and be willing to join Saturday's team? 

That's hard to imagine it would happen, most likely a retread coach would be willing to join. 

The first OC that comes to mind for me is Nathaniel Hackett who was just fired as the Broncos head coach.  He was the OC for the Packers before jumping for a HC position this year.  That didn’t work out.  Not all good coordinators can make the jump to HC.  I think he could be the answer.

Could have had a poll with multiple choices where one didn’t HAVE TO choose all bulleted points.

1. Overall NFL experience - Sirianni had WR coaching experience, OC experience before becoming HC. Mike Kafka similarly had QB coaching experience (Mahomes), then OC experience (Giants), so he’s on the Sirianni path.

2. Offensive minded - would allow us continuity on the defense and improve the side we need most improvement on.

3. Leadership - respect is earned over time and was the case with both Zac Taylor and Kevin O’Connell as new head coaches. I’d rather have that than a Josh McDaniels that may come in a little bit entitled, especially when you have more young guys on offense.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The first OC that comes to mind for me is Nathaniel Hackett who was just fired as the Broncos head coach.  He was the OC for the Packers before jumping for a HC position this year.  That didn’t work out.  Not all good coordinators can make the jump to HC.  I think he could be the answer.

If Saturday could get such a talented game planner, great. 

It does look like Irsay would want to try that route one more year, without turning over all the coaching staff. 

If that's the case, we'll have to wait and see, if they make all the efforts to bring the best possible hire for the OC position. 

14 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If Saturday could get such a talented game planner, great. 

It does look like Irsay would want to try that route one more year, without turning over all the coaching staff. 

If that's the case, we'll have to wait and see, if they make all the efforts to bring the best possible hire for the OC position. 

Not to put the cart before the horse but if the Colts decide to trade for Jordan Love he will already know Hacketts playbook and Hackett will have coached him for three years at Green Bay.  Not saying it’s going to happen but the dominoes are there for it to happen.

I came across this video (this seems like as good of a place as any to share it) where Michael Lombardi talks about the Broncos HC situation. So while not Colts specific I think he brings up some good points on hiring a HC. The main thing he gets at is the importance of having a CEO type and not just hiring coordinator and giving them the title of HC. The NFL doesn't usually hire this way though. Well worth the listen.

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Some nuggets of info here about why colts structure might not be one that is attractive to head coaches. 

I don’t think the traditional chain of command will scare off candidates.  Payton most     likely will want full control.  I think Harbaugh and Ballard could work.  All the others should be fine especially with Ballard as GM.  I think he has a good reputation around the league and might actually be viewed as a positive in the recruiting process.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:22 AM, Solid84 said:

1. Over NFL experience. I’m not a fan of the college coaches. Prefer they’ve been in the league as coordinators. 

3. Leadership. We need a guy who leads from the front and holds the guy accountable. 

4. Previous HC experience. Not a must in my opinion. I’d prefer a younger guy who hasn’t been around the league for decades. 

Exactly how I voted...

I just want our next coach to have more than a basic grasp of X's and 0's, be innovative in his approach(play calling) , be open and willing to adjust game plan to fit situation...(feel) ..... and utilize the personnel we have in the way they can best produce. I could care less what "tree" he fell out of.....or whether he is offensive or defensive minded, Whether he is a coaches coach or a players coach, I don't care if he is media savvy. I just want him to be forward thinking football guy that understands the game today, and where its been and where its going and be on the forefront of what it takes to win in the NFL. 

On 12/31/2022 at 5:54 AM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Poll isn't fair. 

Can't find "Accountability"     :lurk:

On 12/31/2022 at 8:46 AM, cdgacoltsfan said:

I want a head coach that holds players accountable. I want a head coach that has built both college and professional teams into contenders....from scratch. I want a tough minded coach and a team that reflects the same attitude. No more...nice guy coaches please .........I want Jim Harbaugh as the next head coach of the Colts .

I thought we were getting accountability when Jeff Saturday was hired, but obviously not - he's a former offensive lineman who's current offensive linemen did nothing as an opposing player celebrated on the ground next to the quarterback he injured, then continued to mock & gesture on the sidelines. Old School guys like Dan Dierdorf, Tom Nalen & Richie Incognito would've never let  stuff like that go unpunished.

I recall a game in 2007 in which current Colts OL Assistant Coach and then Titans center Kevin Mawae & tackle David Stewart high/low blocked Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman and caused him to suffer a sprained ligament in his left knee after Merriman had knocked QB Vince Young out of the game.

If either Peyton or later Aaron Rodgers, both of whom played with Saturday were hurt in a game and the guy who did it carried on like Kayvon Thibodeaux did yesterday, even after knowing the guy was hurt, I'd like to think that Jeff would dispense a little "justice" and earn a penalty, if not an ejection - it would at least demonstrate concern for & loyalty to a fallen teammate and serve as a warning to other defenders that junk like that won't fly with us.

1. Leadership is the most important thing. Players will follow a leader and run through walls for him.

2. Offensive minded: Get someone similar to Sean McVay or Kyle Shannahan that makes average QB's look good in a system. McVay made Goff look like a pro-bowler, Shannahan seems to make any QB look good = Jimmy G, Purdy.

38 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I thought we were getting accountability when Jeff Saturday was hired, but obviously not - he's a former offensive lineman who's current offensive linemen did nothing as an opposing player celebrated on the ground next to the quarterback he injured, then continued to mock & gesture on the sidelines. Old School guys like Dan Dierdorf, Tom Nalen & Richie Incognito would've never let  stuff like that go unpunished.

I recall a game in 2007 in which current Colts OL Assistant Coach and then Titans center Kevin Mawae & tackle David Stewart high/low blocked Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman and caused him to suffer a sprained ligament in his left knee after Merriman had knocked QB Vince Young out of the game.

If either Peyton or later Aaron Rodgers, both of whom played with Saturday were hurt in a game and the guy who did it carried on like Kayvon Thibodeaux did yesterday, even after knowing the guy was hurt, I'd like to think that Jeff would dispense a little "justice" and earn a penalty, if not an ejection - it would at least demonstrate concern for & loyalty to a fallen teammate and serve as a warning to other defenders that junk like that won't fly with us.

He should have been penalized for landing on Foles . You can't get away with that stuff in hockey. The Colts are  soft.

My answers:

#1 - Previous HC experience -- I want a "been there, done that, I designed the t-shirt" guy.  I don't want someone who is still trying to figure out how to spell H-E-A-D C-O-A-C-H.  The guy isn't going to be spending any time trying to figure out the ropes.  He knows the ropes.  He owns the ropes.

#2 - Leadership -- Quote from Ender's Game:  "First, show me you know what you're doing as a soldier.  Next, show me you know how to lead other soldiers.  Third, prove to me that they are willing to follow you into battle.  Then you get your toon.  And not bloody well until then."

#3 - Overall NFL experience -- Read rule #1 again.  I don't want someone who's done it all in college, but never in the pro's.  He's been there, done that on this stage.

#4 - Offensive minded -- It's a general expectation that the HC pays more attention while the offense is on the field.  Time outs, challenges, personnel, strategy.  Sure, your OC should call the plays.  But the HC is gonna be involved anyway.

#5 - Defensive minded -- This one is last.  I do like former defensive coaches and defensive players as HC's, because they just seem to exude toughness more than offensive guys do.  But as part of the HC job description, this one doesn't matter as much as the others do.

I want a good, experienced Head Coach who has succeeded at this level before, but not one we have to trade away draft capital for - my preference would be Jim Harbaugh because although he has succeeded in the NFL as both a player & Coach, and has led a team to the Superbowl, he didn't win it which I think would make him hungrier than Payton or some other coach that did, because their legacy is secure with a championship on their resume and his isn't yet, which would bode well for us. 

Archived