Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: Attributes of the Next Head Coach

aReggie7

Attributes of the Next Head Coach  

65 members have voted

1. 1. The most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Previous Head Coaching Experience
    • Overall NFL Experience
  2. 2. The second most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience
  3. 3. The third most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience
  4. 4. The forth most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience
  5. 5. The fifth most important attribute in the Colts next head coach is…

• Offensive Minded
    • Defensive Minded
    • Leadership
    • Overall NFL Experience

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/02/report-jim-harbaugh-will-jump-to-the-nfl-if-he-gets-an-offer/

Report: Jim Harbaugh will jump to the NFL, if he gets an offer

...The Broncos have already reached out to Harbaugh to express interest in speaking with him, as reported last night on NBC’s Football Night in America. That’s a long way from getting an offer, however..

There’s no indication the Colts or the Panthers have reached out to Harbaugh. He played for the Colts, and is in their Ring of Honor.

Although the report from TheAthletic.com indicates any NFL head-coaching job, certain factors would potentially turn him off. Bad ownership and/or a bad G.M. would make a job less attractive.

If his only offer comes from a team with dysfunction at the top of the front office, would he take the leap of faith, hopeful that he could will the situation into something workable? Maybe he would...

This pole is fat provoking, because the true attributes we need as a head coach are very simple. Someone that is no nonsense that does not accept lazy or bad play. Also someone that knows how to groom a quarterback and lastly someone that will get excited on the sidelines fighting for his team.

We're getting ready to draft a rookie QB and hand him the keys (presumably). The new HC absolutely has to be offensive minded. Not only that, he has to have a clear and obvious vision for the offense, and the ability to establish a perceivable identity on that side of the ball. This is the most important attribute, IMO.

Second, I want someone with NFL coaching experience. This person has been in operations, in locker rooms, dealt with GMs and owners, helped put together weekly gameplans and practice schedules. He's picked up things from other coaches, he's seen mistakes and learned from them, and he's not learning all these intricacies on the job. 

I think I put leadership third. He needs to be an excellent communicator and tone setter. He has to create a culture in which everyone is held accountable. He has to know how to respond in a crisis. Players have to appreciate the way he handles business.

Fourth was prior HC experience. I would like the next HC to have a proven record of running a program, but I'm not all that impressed by the candidates who have previously been HCs. Just Sean Payton, really, and I don't want to give up a first for him, nor do I think he'd consider the Colts right now. 

Last was defensive minded. And in reality it's not fifth on my list, it's not even on my list. This trait doesn't line up with what I think the team needs right now. However, I do think it's important to have a strong defensive staff. Gus Bradley apparently has little ambition to become a HC again (at least, that's what his comments make me think), and I like that. Not sure if he's the right guy, I'm not a huge fan of his defense, but having someone who will be around to establish that side of the ball, and maybe start a pipeline of future DCs and HCs would be good for continuity and stability.

Truth is there is no known formula for hiring a successful HC. Everyone balks at retreads, but some are successful. We're more excited about fresh, young coordinators, but they bomb out frequently. No one has a coaching tree that consistently produces good HCs, because being an HC is much different from being an assistant. Ultimately, while I think there are some disqualifying factors, the reality is no one can predict what will make a HC successful. It's not experience, it's not favoring one side of the ball or the other, it's not being perceived as a leader... So while I think certain things are more important, truth is that I really don't know, and this list is just what would excite me about a new HC. Whoever we hire, I'm ready to sit back and watch what happens.

Archived