Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Week 17 NFL Game Discussion Thread

NFLfan

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It wasn’t the hit itself, there was something underlying that came up at the most inopportune moment because his hit he engaged in wasn’t dramatically different than other hits players with chest plates encounter.

My friend called it: 

...a major blow to the chest at a moment in the cardiac cycle that causes immediate arrest

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

*s on social media really saying “they gonna postpone games for every single injury from now on? What’s so different about this one?”

Like… I really think you should have to pass a stupid test to have internet and social media access. 

Some folks are just challenged to present their views with common sense, IMO. :scratch:

• Like 1

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_term=undefined

This is his charity. He only wanted $2500 and have raised over $800k in the last hour. There are some lovely people out there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hmmm..I’d think they’d stick around to see how he was doing and then resume playing accordingly.

I’m curious how things will play out the next few days. I definitely understand but postponing it until Wednesday is the latest one can do.

But when Dungy’s son died, he was like a constant presence around the locker room but the games had to be played. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is so sickening 

My brother-in-law said he did not know what was taking the NFL so long to call the game. (This was before it was postponed.) It is clear the NFL intended to play. That is mind-boggling. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not that far between Cincy and Buffalo.  I think it's about 450 miles. 

But if they postpone it to tomorrow night, what’s the gain for the Bills team leaving Cincinnati? That’s what I don’t get. 

Tragedies aren’t unprecedented and the world didn’t stop going about its life when Steve Jobs or Mother Teresa Or Nelson Mandela died etc., as harsh as it might sound on the surface. So I would have to lean towards at least playing it this week with a postponement tomorrow or Wednesday albeit with heavy hearts.

They hadn’t even cleared all the debris from 9/11 that happened on a Tuesday before playing games on that Sunday.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

My brother-in-law said he did not know what was taking the NFL so long to call the game. (This was before it was postponed.) It is clear the NFL intended to play. That is mind-boggling. 

We don't know that  for sure do we? Taking the word of Twitter guy wanting clicks is not trust worthy imo. 

Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Apparently after cardiac arrest they sedate a patient and cool them for 24 hrs before bringing them out of sedation.

They did it for a Bills player that was paralyzed briefly on a special teams return (saline with cooling for the spine). That incident led to abandonment of the wedge combo block or whatever it was called on special teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

They did it for a Bills player that was paralyzed briefly on a special teams return. That incident led to abandonment of the wedge combo block or whatever it was called on special teams.

True. There were even rumors of doing away with kick offs. 

• Like 1

Just now, chad72 said:

They did it for a Bills player that was paralyzed briefly on a special teams return. That incident led to abandonment of the wedge combo block or whatever it was called on special teams.

I remember that. I was watching that game. I forgot his name but many were concerned for this guy too. He was not moving any of his extremities but he recovered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It took much longer than it should have. I believe it. 

I don't. I think they buttoned down all the different technicalities and informed all the parties, and then put together a sanitized statement as the first official league response. 

But when the refs told the coaches 'five minutes,' and the coaches looked at their players standing in shock and said 'nah, we're going to the locker room,' it was obvious the game was not going to continue. 

Chad is right.  It takes a hell of a lot to get an NFL game canceled.  JFK assassination - they played two days later.  9-11?  They played.  As I said earlier in the thread, following the Jovan Belcher murder/suicide, they probably wrapped up the crime scene in the Arrowhead parking lot only few hours before people started tailgating.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I imagine that was always the plan to fly home tonight and there probably wasn't a lot of accomodation available at the last minute being game night.

And the players probably want to be with THEIR families after something like this and a lot of their families probably want to be with them.  

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Maybe so but it's way too premature to say the players and coaches were the ones who forced a cancelation.  Just getting all the information between Cincy and NY with as many as involved takes time. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is scary about this is, it was just a normal hit.

There is no way the NFL escapes this without taking a major black eye.  They have been playing with fire with the Tua situation all year.  This is the type of thing that makes people uncomfortable and go I can’t watch this anymore.  I am not saying this will drive the NFL out of business but this is going to be a major black eye that will really test how Teflon the NFL really is.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Chad is right.  It takes a hell of a lot to get an NFL game canceled.  JFK assassination - they played two days later.  9-11?  They played.  As I said earlier in the thread, following the Jovan Belcher murder/suicide, they probably wrapped up the crime scene in the Arrowhead parking lot only few hours before people started tailgating.

9-11, they did not play. All games that weekend were cancelled.

Edit: "Postponed," not cancelled.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/tagliabue-and-2001-decision-not-to-play

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is no way the NFL escapes this without taking a major black eye.  They have been playing with fire with the Tua situation all year.  This is the type of thing that makes people uncomfortable and go I can’t watch this anymore.  I am not saying this will drive the NFL out of business but this is going to be a major black eye that will really test how Teflon the NFL really is.

I think most will still watch but this is a scary situation for sure. There really isn't much the NFL can do regarding this type of hit. I just hope Hamlin comes out of this and is ok. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It seems like that because it was the obvious solution but it’s not that simple.  First you have to make the decision but then you have to figure out what the ramifications from your decision will be, namely do we just release a statement, do we have a press conference, can we get an update on the player before we do either of those things.  Then once you decide what you are going to do you have to write it and proof read it and get all the proper people to sign off on it all while seeing what information you can get on the player and talk to the players family so they get the news first because the last thing you want is heaven forbid the player dies and the player finds out from your statement that the game is postponed.  

Making the decision to postpone it was probably made really quickly it was announcing it part that probably took so long.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

The game of football has always had serious injuries and even death surrounding it. It will go on just like it always has. The violence is part of what draws a lot of fans to it. There are even fans that feel today's football is soft. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The game of football has always had serious injuries and even death surrounding it. It will go on just like it always has. The violence is part of what draws a lot of fans to it. There are even fans that feel today's football is soft. 

A player hasn’t died on the field in 50 years, hopefully that didn’t happen tonight, but tonight was anything but like what you normally see in a football game.  Tonight is going to stick with people.  Again, not saying it’s going to end the NFL but this isn’t something you just get over and forget about in a week.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

It seems like that because it was the obvious situation but it’s not that simple.  First you have to make the decision but then you have to figure out what the ramifications from your decision will be, namely do we just release a statement, do we have a press conference, can we get an update on the player before we do either of those things.  Then once you decide what you are going to do you have to write it and proof read it and get all the proper people to sign off on it all while seeing what information you can get on the player and talk to the players family so they get the news first because the last you want is heaven forbid the player dies and the player finds out from your statement that the game is postponed.  

Making the decision to cancel it was probably made really quickly it was announcing it part that probably took so long.  

Agreed. There are an unknown number of moving parts that they (rightly, IMO) wanted to button down before saying or doing anything officially. The freak out mob started speculating, pointing fingers, and perpetuating the idea that there was a villain in the picture, when that was totally unnecessary, given the situation.

There were comments on Reddit and Twitter during the ordeal, with people at the stadium commenting that concessions were shutting down, etc., well before the official announcement was made. It's my assumption that the coaches knew they weren't playing when they went to the locker rooms, which makes everything else irrelevant.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It seems like that because it was the obvious solution but it’s not that simple.  First you have to make the decision but then you have to figure out what the ramifications from your decision will be, namely do we just release a statement, do we have a press conference, can we get an update on the player before we do either of those things.  Then once you decide what you are going to do you have to write it and proof read it and get all the proper people to sign off on it all while seeing what information you can get on the player and talk to the players family so they get the news first because the last thing you want is heaven forbid the player dies and the player finds out from your statement that the game is postponed.  

Making the decision to postpone it was probably made really quickly it was announcing it part that probably took so long.  

That sounds fair. I did think of that. There are logistics involved. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

9-11, they did not play. All games that weekend were cancelled.

Edit: "Postponed," not cancelled.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/tagliabue-and-2001-decision-not-to-play

Even during covid, I think every team played 16 games.  Outside of strike seasons, I'm not sure when games have been canceled - maybe some weather or hurricane game I'm not thinking of.