Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Week 17 NFL Game Discussion Thread

NFLfan

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't. I think they buttoned down all the different technicalities and informed all the parties, and then put together a sanitized statement as the first official league response. 

But when the refs told the coaches 'five minutes,' and the coaches looked at their players standing in shock and said 'nah, we're going to the locker room,' it was obvious the game was not going to continue. 

Supposedly everyone is denying that this 5 minute warm up warning went out. The league is jumping up and down denying it, both teams are denying it. Not sure where it’s coming from. 

This heads up play by the Bucs rookie punter gave them a first down at the 50 yard line, was still about 36 seconds left for the Panthers to tie and score a TD.

First the punter runs around with the ball in his hand after a bad snap, and once he realizes he can't get the first down, kicks it before the line of scrimmage and since he becomes a runner, got a roughing the passer called on the Panthers thus getting the Bucs a first down.

It does make me wonder. Can a non-punter, on a bad snap that is fumbled, kick the ball like a punt on 4th down?

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Supposedly everyone is denying that this 5 minute warm up warning went out. The league is jumping up and down denying it, both teams are denying it. Not sure where it’s coming from. 

Yeah that's what it seems like. But not only did the ESPN crew report it on TV, other outlets (Spanish, and radio) were saying the same thing. Maybe they're repeating what ESPN said?

Or maybe someone on the field was saying 'we have five minutes to warm up' because that's protocol, while the refs and coaches were still figuring out what to do. 

But if we're taking Troy Vincent at his word, the coaches never discussed resuming play. So it was all likely a miscommunication. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah that's what it seems like. But not only did the ESPN crew report it on TV, other outlets (Spanish, and radio) were saying the same thing. Maybe they're repeating what ESPN said?

Or maybe someone on the field was saying 'we have five minutes to warm up' because that's protocol, while the refs and coaches were still figuring out what to do. 

But if we're taking Troy Vincent at his word, the coaches never discussed resuming play. So it was all likely a miscommunication. 

I read a few articles that said that everyone was about to play again before Stefon Diggs called his teammates back and Coach Taylor went to speak with Coach McDermott on the field. It seemed that was when they decided not to play. 

I think the Athletic was one that reported that. 

Edit: Adding this

In the immediate aftermath, neither team knew what was next. Bills coach Sean McDermott called over his entire team and staff to genuflect in a prayer huddle. Bengals players began to loosen up on their sideline, likely out of habit. The Bills reluctantly retook their place on the sideline and began to put their helmets back on. Diggs summoned the entire team into a crowd for a message.

Much of the Bills’ defense took the field for the next snap. Bengals coach Zac Taylor didn’t send his offense out, instead crossing the field to McDermott and the officiating crew. Within moments, both teams went to the locker room.

The Bills walked back in near silence, the 

https://theathletic.com/4053472/2023/01/03/bills-bengals-damar-hamlin?source=user-shared-article

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I read a few articles that said that everyone was about to play again before Stefon Diggs called his teammates back and Coach Taylor went to speak with Coach McDermott on the field. It seemed that was when they decided not to play. 

I think the Athletic was one that reported that. 

Edit: Adding this

https://theathletic.com/4053472/2023/01/03/bills-bengals-damar-hamlin?source=user-shared-article

Players habitually line up for the next play regardless of injury, and I'm sure most didn't know the magnitude of the injury. It doesn't matter who made the decision; everyone agreed not to continue to play; that's all that matters. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Players habitually line up for the next play regardless of injury, and I'm sure most didn't know the magnitude of the injury. It doesn't matter who made the decision; everyone agreed not to continue to play; that's all that matters. 

I don't disagree. I was passing along information. If you follow the thread, you will notice that folks were wondering if, in fact, there was this "5-minutes" warm up.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Pretty much captures how we all felt leaving the stadium last night… almost 24 hours later and I’m still shook. 

I think the whole NFL world is in shock. Last night was tough for me to describe. You search for the words that don't come.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Pretty much captures how we all felt leaving the stadium last night… almost 24 hours later and I’m still shook. 

Me too but it is getting better. Last night I could not sleep until after 3:30 AM ET. I had to wake up 4 hours later. Thankfully I worked from home today. 

I'm pleased to read that he is making improvement. He has youth on his side. He is being cared for at a trauma hospital that has the medical resources to help him. So, I am more hopeful.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I'm pleased to read that he is making improvement. He has youth on his side. He is being cared for at a trauma hospital that has the medical resources to help him. So, I am more hopeful.

Yes youth is on his side. The human body has an amazing defense mechanism when given the right tools and given his youth and level of fitness, you’d have to think inflammation levels would be lower than an older not so fit body dealing with the same conditions. I’m hopeful he pulls through. You have to think positively.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Week 18 is going to be interesting, here comes that 'BAD MAN' Aaron Rodgers out of nowhere. They win and they are in. To me Rodgers is the 7th greatest QB of all-time on my list. Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, Elway, Graham, and Rodgers. That is a short list. 200.gif

He commands great respect as a player and definitely an all - time great QB. 

But, i hope Lions win this time, and get to playoffs once for a change. 

As it'd happen, Lions would probably choke away the opportunity. Lions coaches haven't utilized Swift as primary RB all season and i predict that'd be the primary cause of missing out playoffs. They could've won a playoff spot already and knocked GB out, if they had done the same at least in December after Swift regained full fitness from the injury. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He commands great respect as a player and definitely an all - time great QB. 

But, i hope Lions win this time, and get to playoffs once for a change. 

As it'd happen, Lions would probably choke away the opportunity. Lions coaches haven't utilized Swift as primary RB all season and i predict that'd be the primary cause of missing out playoffs. They could've won a playoff spot already and knocked GB out, if they had done the same at least in December after Swift regained full fitness from the injury. 

Lions will give them a tough way to go, they have had a great year for them. They are gritty but I am rolling with Aaron this week. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lions will give them a tough way to go, they have had a great year for them. They are gritty but I am rolling with Aaron this week. 

Lions are generally bad on road this season against good teams, even if they or their coach are gritty. Goff has been awesome at home, and bad on road. 

As i said, the coaches - being gritty and all - think they can make Goff pass too much and win, it has worked at home games but not on road.

They have two very good RBs, and GB's run defense is bad, but they will try to make Goff pass 35+ times and try to run Jamaal Williams too much while giving Swift single digit carries. 

I like Dan Campbell, his attitude and the way he has transformed even the Lions culture, but ultimately games are won on identifying favorable matchups, game planning along those lines and knocking the opponent on their weak links, utilizing the best weapons of their own roster.

Unfortunately, Campbell has not shown much of his capability in game planning so far. They could've been even better this season, and they really need to address the weakness in defense in the off-season. 

Yes, i am pretty sure Rodgers will have some heroic moments in this game, and in playoffs this season. 

• Like 1

I think overall, the 7 best QB's I have ever seen and resume wise are:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Johnny Unitas

5. John Elway

6. Otto Graham (I have seen him in highlights/eye test)

7. Aaron Rodgers

-the line cuts off after that. Based on Win Shares, at least 1 SB win/Championship win, MVP's are huge, Stats, Longevity, Clutch play, Eye Test.

I know Terry Bradshaw is a winner of 4 SB's but his stats were MEH and he played on loaded teams. Sammy Baugh was a great QB but also is rated as one of the best players ever because he played defense and punted. Most lists like NFL.com, ESPN.com, and Athlon's doesn't have Sammy Baugh as a top 10 QB of all-time. Dan Marino never won a SB, that is a killer. 

IMO, Patrick Mahomes is the best today.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Week 18 is going to be interesting, here comes that 'BAD MAN' Aaron Rodgers out of nowhere. They win and they are in. To me Rodgers is the 7th greatest QB of all-time on my list. Brady, Montana, Peyton, Unitas, Elway, Graham, and Rodgers. That is a short list. 200.gif

Yeah, it would be good to see Rodgers for a last hurrah in the playoffs. Every game the last 4 games have been like a playoff game for them, an elimination game. I remember the Bucs, at 7-5 and then reeling off 4 in a row to finish their season and then 4 more to win the SB in 2020. The Packers were 4-8, and winners of 4 in a row. The rest, TBD. :)  Actually, the Packers are playing with house money right now once they get to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, it would be good to see Rodgers for a last hurrah in the playoffs. Every game the last 4 games have been like a playoff game for them, an elimination game. I remember the Bucs, at 7-5 and then reeling off 4 in a row to finish their season and then 4 more to win the SB in 2020. The Packers were 4-8, and winners of 4 in a row. The rest, TBD. :)  Actually, the Packers are playing with house money right now once they get to the playoffs.

That Lions vs Packers game should be a good one. The winner advances and the loser goes home.  

• NFLfan unpinned this topic