Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Week 17 NFL Game Discussion Thread

NFLfan

Looking at the video, Higgins was trying to push for more yards while running with the ball, and Hamlin was on his path, Higgins while pushing for a yard, had his helmet thrush into Hamlin's chest. Hamlin did hold him down to the ground, got up on his own, and adjusted his helmet, and seemed to have gone unconscious at that point. He fell backwards clearly having lost his consciousness. 

It wasn't a hit, a normal play but as someone said here, the contact must have triggered some condition. 

He fell just over the ground the referee was trying to get to, so he immediately called for help. Hopefully, he regained consciousness after CPR, but that part isn't clear. Hope he's recovering and he gets back to his life completely healthy. 

• Like 2

The last time something like this happened in Cincinnati the game was canceled.  Umpire John McSherry went into cardiac arrest on the field during a Reds opening day game.  He didn't make it.  Hopefully Hamlin will pull through.

Just now, Happy2BeHere said:

Assuming this young man is alright and recovers, does he continue to play football or does he retire ? I know it will make many players stop and think at least…

Retire. For the love of the Lord, there is so much more to life than this game. 

• Like 1

Just now, #12. said:

The last time something like this happened in Cincinnati the game was canceled.  Umpire John McSherry went into cardiac arrest on the field during opening day at a Reds game.  He didn't make it.  Hopefully Hamlin will pull through.

I remember that. 

Assuming this young man is alright and recovers, does he continue to play football or does he retire ? I know it will make many players stop and think at least…

Way too early to ask that but odds are if he was receiving cpr and such for 9-15 minutes as it’s being reported, the likelihood of brain damage increase ten fold every minute past about 3-5 if I recall from CLS training correctly. It’s been a minute and I’m no doctor

With CPR the thing is if it’s done properly often times you have broken ribs as a result of the proper compression required. It definitely could be a long road to recover for him for sure.

Yeah, sounds like they also used an AED and other tools, that signals heart. But i think I’m gonna stop speculating and just wait and pray

12 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Looking at the video, Higgins was trying to push for more yards while running with the ball, and Hamlin was on his path, Higgins while pushing for a yard, had his helmet thrush into Hamlin's chest. Hamlin did hold him down to the ground, got up on his own, and adjusted his helmet, and seemed to have gone unconscious at that point. He fell backwards clearly having lost his consciousness. 

It wasn't a hit, a normal play but as someone said here, the contact must have triggered some condition. 

He fell just over the ground the referee was trying to get to, so he immediately called for help. Hopefully, he regained consciousness after CPR, but that part isn't clear. Hope he's recovering and he gets back to his life completely healthy. 

My sister called me from Georgia. Her husband had been watching the game. He said it did not appear to be a bad hit. He thought he saw Hamlin get up and even help someone up before he collapsed... This is very sad. 

My brother-in-law thinks it is ridiculous that Goodell has not yet cancelled the game.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They have shown it a couple of times and there was nothing that looked bad. 

Yeah but sharing a YouTube link to what could be a young man’s death may not be tasteful. Either way, it’s been posted I see now

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Wow.. I've never seen anything like this. I pray for the young man. Way too young for this..

And also for buffalo how do you come back from this? Especially if now they have to go to arrowhead? Are they shot for the season?

Maybe not, could be a shot in the arm rallying cry to win it all for him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

My sister called me from Georgia. Her husband had been watching the game. He thought he saw Hamlin help someone up before he collapsed. This is very sad. 

My brother-in-law thinks it is ridiculous that Goodell has not yet cancelled the game.

Sounds like the players from both teams are emerging from the locker rooms in street clothes. Safe to say it’s been cancelled. They probably are waiting to make it official to the public to figure out what it’ll do to the playoffs and such

• Like 1

I have seen players get hurt on the field. I remember Dennis Byrd. I remember this other Bills player who was believed to have been paralyzed. (He recovered.) I saw Napoleon McCallum's career-ending hit. This one seems worse. I pray for him. 

Just now, Hark said:

The longer this goes the more worried I get.

Ehhh IF he is alive, it’s gonna take time to get him stable and give any kind of an update.

when Dale Earnhardt died at Daytona, it was like 2-3 hours before they announced it