Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Derek Carr - Bridge QB?

adubb84

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

That’s fair. My take here was having someone that still make us “competitive”. The growing sentiment based on the comments I’ve been reading (which I strongly agree with) is that we get a low level QB like Brisset to come in to back up the drafted QB and provide guidance. All signs are pointing to some growing pains and not many wins next year which is OK. We need to retool anyways. 

Good post.   Appreciate it.   And I think I’m mostly on board.  

I think we draft a QB, though I don’t know who or when?    And I think the Colts also sign a veteran.   I think the vet starts the season and takes us up to the bye week (hopefully late in the season) where the rookie might step in if the team thinks he’s ready. 

And I realize some of this may depend on who the Colts get to be the new HC.   That coach may not want that scenario.   That coach may want someone like a Carr to be more competitive right away.   The scenario I prefer probably means another 10+ loss season in 2023 before things hopefully get better in 24. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.   Appreciate it.   And I think I’m mostly on board.  

I think we draft a QB, though I don’t know who or when?    And I think the Colts also sign a veteran.   I think the vet starts the season and takes us up to the bye week (hopefully late in the season) where the rookie might step in if the team thinks he’s ready. 

And I realize some of this may depend on who the Colts get to be the new HC.   That coach may not want that scenario.   That coach may want someone like a Carr to be more competitive right away.   The scenario I prefer probably means another 10+ loss season in 2023 before things hopefully get better in 24. 

To the bolded - that’s the elephant in the room. The head coach hire is pivotal as it will dictate which direction this franchise will go over the next few years. Drafting a QB is 1a of the other side of the equation. So….while it may upset some folks Carr isn’t necessarily out of the picture. Do we “think” we have the right makeup to be competitive NOW?

Would folks be upset getting Carr, but also getting a STUD edge rusher and someone like Richardson or Mkee. Or would they be able to exercise patience while a rook takes his lumps?

It’s fascinating to see unfold as so many questions have yet to be answered. 

If memory serves - the Colts had interest in trading for Derek Carr last off-season.

Instead - the Raiders doubled-down and signed him to an extension at the request of Josh McDaniels.

I'm curious as to "WHY" the Raiders waited until the end of the season to start QB Stidham - since he was familiar with McDaniel's system from the git-go.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:14 PM, sb41champs said:

If memory serves - the Colts had interest in trading for Derek Carr last off-season.

Instead - the Raiders doubled-down and signed him to an extension at the request of Josh McDaniels.

I'm curious as to "WHY" the Raiders waited until the end of the season to start QB Stidham - since he was familiar with McDaniel's system from the git-go.

Probably because they signed Carr to a big extension and Carr is the reason McDaniels went to the Raiders.  They gave him a long leash to learn his system.  He couldn’t do it fast enough.  Desperation forced the move to Stidham.  Smart coach that McDaniels fella.  Lol

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Probably because they signed Carr to a big extension and Carr is the reason McDaniels went to the Raiders.  They gave him a long leash to learn his system.  He couldn’t do it fast enough.  Desperation forced the move to Stidham.  Smart coach that McDaniels fella.  Lol

I wonder why everyone is so impressed by McDaniels. Fans, owners and media seem to think he is Belichick. The interim coach who preceded him, Bisaccia, did a much better job under a lot of adversity. 

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I wonder why everyone is so impressed by McDaniels. Fans, owners and media seem to think he is Belichick. The interim coach who preceded him, Bisaccia, did a much better job under a lot of adversity. 

He sure did.  I’m sure it has to do with working for Belichick.  That is the only thing that makes sense.  Another example of a good coordinator not being able to make the jump.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your first sentence, I think he sucks! He ruined the Broncos and Raiders.Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

He did. He is ruining the Raiders. I hope he has not ruined Carr.

Unlike most fans, I think Carr is a good QB. He gives it his all. I would trade Cousins for Carr. In a heartbeat... 

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think most people WERE impressed by McDaniels.   I wouldn’t say ARE impressed by him.  The difference is past tense vs present tense.   

His reputation was well earned as a highly successful OC over a sustained period of time.   The Colts are interviewing OC candidates right now who have 1-year experience. (Johnson) and 3-years (Steichen).   McDaniels has roughly a decade as the Patriots OC over two terms. 

But he flamed out in Denver and his first year in Vegas went as badly as it could, so who knows what to think. 

Zac Keefer of The Athletic has announced that the Colts WILL NOT trade for QB Derek Carr.

However - what wasn't mentioned - was whether or not the team would sign Carr if he is outright released by the Raiders in February BEFORE his "guaranteed money" clause of his contract kicks in.

Honestly - we have too much $$$ tied up in contracts for Matt Ryan and Nick Foles for the team to invest in another QB.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Crazy, but I imagine the Jets could offer a lot of money. If I were Derek I would think twice about having to play in the same division as Josh Allen and Bill Belichick... 

Panthers on the other hand... No more Tom Brady so he'd instantly be the top QB of his division. 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Crazy, but I imagine the Jets could offer a lot of money. If I were Derek I would think twice about having to play in the same division as Josh Allen and Bill Belichick... 

Panthers on the other hand... No more Tom Brady so he'd instantly be the top QB of his division. 

If I was Carr, i would play for the Panthers. Weak division, Reich is good with QB's, their defense was playing well toward the end of the season too.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was Carr, i would play for the Panthers. Weak division, Reich is good with QB's, their defense was playing well toward the end of the season too.

Yep. The Buccaneers, Saints and Falcons all have big question marks at the QB position and seem to be coasting along with no direction. If the Panthers get to 8 wins they'll basically have the division wrapped up. 

Archived