Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rap sheet Reich’s job considered safe

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, teganslaw said:

I'm not reassured by this. Irsay can be volatile, and could easily change his mind. I'll check in a couple weeks, after Ehlinger has played a few games. If the Colts lose too many, no coach will be safe. 

Things can always change. How the other players respond today is huge for Reich. If they give up then that looks bad on Reich. If the players still play hard that’s a positive for Reich,

The two times we've had good QB play we've scored points and we made it to the playoffs and a little bit more under Reich.  Once under Luck and once under Rivers.  We were headed there again with Wentz up until he stopped playing well and also OL problems.  The times that we've struggled scoring is when the QB play was insufficient or in the case of this year bad OL play.   Reich isn't too bad as long as the QB and the line are decent or better. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

The two times we've had good QB play we've scored points and we made it to the playoffs and a little bit more under Reich.  Once under Luck and once under Rivers.  We were headed there again with Wentz up until he stopped playing well and also OL problems.  The times that we've struggled scoring is when the QB play was insufficient or in the case of this year bad OL play.   Reich isn't too bad as long as the QB and the line are decent or better. 

We scored A average of almost 30 even with Wentz. We were the highest scoring team in the NFL last season during that stretch before the AZ game. Its not Reich’s play calling this year.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think this just mean he is safe for the season, which really isn't surprising, Irsay has never fired a HC mid season. I still believe wholesale changes are coming after baring some miracle run.

I could see some coaching changes on the OL and maybe the Offensive coordinators. Maybe even an ultimatum to hand over play calling

1 hour ago, Indy87 said:

He said the same thing about Pagano and Grigson. 

That’s what this is feeling like tbh. When things started to get bad with Pagano and Grigson and everyone smelled blood in the water and he brought them both back and extended them I think.

I don’t like the lack of foresight by Irsay. What I don’t get is how he’s not holding the guy who is responsible for the QB fiasco accountable. Also if you acknowledge the O-line is bad, why not hold that same person accountable?

I don’t get it. It’s already year 6. You let this play out any longer it’ll be approaching a decade that they were here with nothing to show for it.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What’s funny is the bad rap Ballard gets for the OL. People so easily forget that pre-Wentz, this line was top 5. Yeah we lost a couple players, but I’m confident Ballard can rebuild it

He just paid Nelson 20 million and he looks bad. He ignored the LT spot. No excuse for that. I understand the RG because I thought Pinter would play fine there too. There was no competition for either spot. He filled it with a bunch of unproven players outside of Dennis Kelly.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s what this is feeling like tbh. When things started to get bad with Pagano and Grigson and everyone smelled blood in the water and he brought them both back and extended them I think.

I don’t like the lack of foresight by Irsay. What I don’t get is how he’s not holding the guy who is responsible for the QB fiasco accountable. Also if you acknowledge the O-line is bad, why not hold that same person accountable?

I don’t get it. It’s already year 6. You let this play out any longer it’ll be approaching a decade that they were here with nothing to show for it.

Because Irsay is also responsible. He forced Carson out and it got worse. I can totally understand giving them a chance with a young QB.

42 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What’s funny is the bad rap Ballard gets for the OL. People so easily forget that pre-Wentz, this line was top 5. Yeah we lost a couple players, but I’m confident Ballard can rebuild it

ballard thought this oline he assembled were worth being the highest paid in football, he didnt have a clue that they would turn out to be the worst line in the nfl. just a slight error in judgement by him!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, teganslaw said:

I'm not reassured by this. Irsay can be volatile, and could easily change his mind. I'll check in a couple weeks, after Ehlinger has played a few games. If the Colts lose too many, no coach will be safe. 

While things can change Irsay has proven over and over again that as Owner of the Colts he’s been very patient almost to the point some feel that’s a fault.  With that said I took that as Irsay hasn’t thought about making a change as of now.  I don’t take this as a firm answer once the season is over.  Since Irsay has never fired a coach in season I didn’t expect him to start with Reich so I am not surprised by this.

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

On the other hand I'd think about firing the OL coach during the season, but definitely after the season. 

What good is it going to do?  They aren’t going to replace him in season other than probably with assistant o-line coach.  Odds are if he was the answer it wouldn’t be this bad right now.  I also think while the coach might be part of the problem there is no denying there is a talent issue with the line too.  Pryor and Pinter just weren’t good enough.  I don’t think they have five NFL level starters.  Firing the coach isn’t going to make untalented player talented.

1 hour ago, DEFENSE said:

he probably needed permission from ballard and irsay since they were paying ryan so much money. otherwise frank may have done it a lot sooner since ballards o-line line was so bad. imo they should let frank start who he wants not just the ones ballard over paid.

Nothing has been reported that says Frank can’t start who he wants. 

Nothing has been reported that says Ballard orders Frank on who to start. 

This is just more of your typical daily rage.

Haters gonna hate. 

49 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Let’s at least see what happens this off-season.   Let’s see who leaves and who stays.   I’m not blaming Irsay for not firing anyone now.   But someone may get let go after the season.    If Sam doesn’t play all that well and we’re picking top-10 or  maybe even top-5, it’s hard to see no changes on the coaching staff after a terrible year.  

Lots could change in January. 

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He had a couple of bad calls on the line and it’s impacting the whole team.  It’s also possible that Ryan has lost a little more than they thought.  Other than that people just over look the good he’s done.  He built this whole defense that people love, he was right about the young WRs, Taylor is a star but again the line is killing him.  People don’t like to talk about that because it doesn’t match the trendy thing which is calling for Ballard’s job.

What Irsay is going to have decide is are Ballard’s misses bad enough the good can’t over shadow that and does he want to start over which is what you are doing if you fire the GM.  New GMs bring in their own guys other than maybe a handful of holdovers. I personally think the Colts have more than a handful of good young players worth building around.  So I fall in the keep Ballard camp.  I will concede that there is argument for he can’t get the most important position in sports right (unless Sam is truly the guy) so how many chances do you give him?  Irsay may lean that direction and decide he has to make a move.  

The coaching staff is different.  I think they are safe in season but after the year I do expect a change if they don’t make the playoffs (baring them heading that way and getting derailed by a key injury or something).  I think Irsay will be more likely to feel a fresh approach from the coaches could make a difference.  I could also see them doing a reverse of what they did when they moved from Mora to Dungy.  Polian wanted to keep the offense coaching staff so they were retained under Dungy who was brought in to fix the defense.  I think you could see them retain Bradley and his staff and find an offensive coach to fix the offense.  The biggest and most obvious name would be Sean Payton but they are going to be far from the only team that would be interested in his services so we shall see.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nothing has been reported that says Frank can’t start who he wants. 

Nothing has been reported that says Ballard orders Frank on who to start. 

This is just more of your typical daily rage.

Haters gonna hate. 

Haven't you got the message yet, some in here know the FO better than they know themselves lmao . Also it is funny, for years almost everyone in here complained about our FO not trying to compile a great O.Line to protect Luck, Ballard has been trying for years to draft Lineman. Now he is being criticized for doing so.

Somebody posted this already.  This doesnt sound like a man that just posing during the season and

has a behind the scenes plan to do the opposite.  He would use words like "Evaluating everything" if he

had plans to fire them. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Somebody posted this already.  This doesnt sound like a man that just posing during the season and

has a behind the scenes plan to do the opposite.  He would use words like "Evaluating everything" if he

had plans to fire them. 

The other side of that coin is that it’s the vote of confidence owners sometimes give right before they make a move.  With that said, looking at Irsay’s history and his tendency to be rather blunt and too honest at times I agree with you and don’t expect a change.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Haven't you got the message yet, some in here know the FO better than they know themselves lmao . Also it is funny, for years almost everyone in here complained about our FO not trying to compile a great O.Line to protect Luck, Ballard has been trying for years to draft Lineman. Now he is being criticized for doing so.

These are the same fans who always say you need depth but as soon as the Colts get it somewhere want to trade depth away for draft picks.  It’s why no one in power to run a team takes fans opinions seriously when deciding what to do.  

Haven't you got the message yet, some in here know the FO better than they know themselves lmao . Also it is funny, for years almost everyone in here complained about our FO not trying to compile a great O.Line to protect Luck, Ballard has been trying for years. Now he is being criticized for doing so.

this bad line are all ballards hand picked talent

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The other side of that coin is that it’s the vote of confidence owners sometimes give right before they make a move.  With that said, looking at Irsay’s history and his tendency to be rather blunt and too honest at times I agree with you and don’t expect a change.

The only chance I see of that happening is if things just go relly bad with Sam, however I think they may have thought that through already.  Im sure they realize if he stinks they will be in excellent position to draft a young guy they have eyes for. 

1 minute ago, DEFENSE said:

Yeah and prior to this year theve done their jobs for the most part.   As soon as it goes left it doesn't mean you fire the GM.

Replacing the personnel, schemes, and OL coaches is what you look at 

Just now, krunk said:

The only chance I see of that happening is if things just go relly bad with Sam, however I think they may have thought that through already.  Im sure they realize if he stinks they will be in excellent position to draft a young guy they have eyes for. 

If that happens I think Irsay is just going to go it’s a lost season and start to prepare for changes after the season.  There just isn’t much upside to making a change in season.  Irsay knows this.  He saw his dad do it a lot which is why he’s never done it.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Remember how much crap Chuck got? lmao I felt like doing thisFalls Homer Simpson GIF- after every loss, now people love him haha 

Let’s not get carried away now. 

Everyone loves Pagano the person.   The human being.   The man.    Great guy.  

Doubt many (any?) here love him as a head coach.    Two completely different things here.   

1 minute ago, DEFENSE said:

Nelson is a proven great player, Smith is good. Kelly was a Grigson pick and Kelly has struggled all year. Ballard has failed at not getting us a good LT, that is it. If we had a good LT , Matt would still be in IMO. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s not get carried away now. 

Everyone loves Pagano the person.   The human being.   The man.    Great guy.  

Doubt many (any?) here love him as a head coach.    Two completely different things here.   

I have seen some posts in here by a few that say Chuck is a better coach than Frank.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nelson is a proven great player, Smith is good. Kelly was a Grigson pick and Kelly has struggled all year. Ballard has failed at not getting us a good LT, that is it. If we had a good LT , Matt would still be in IMO. 

I have seen some posts in here by a few that say Chuck is a better coach than Frank.

Doesn't mean they love him.   I’d call that damning with faint praise.   

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He also made a bad call on Pinter being able to slide in at RG but in fairness most of the fans criticizing him for that now were saying you let Glow go and let Pinter be the RG to free up cap space last season.  Fans have the advantage of truly not being held accountable for their bad opinions.  Ballard doesn’t have that luxury.  

I agree with you this line has some talent but all it takes is not having one or two players on the line to blow up a whole line.  I also think fans have a bit of tunnel vision right now regarding the line and while it needs to be a factor when deciding Ballard’s future you have to factor in the good this team has.  Then you have decide can this guy fix these problems if I give him another chance.  To me the biggest problem Ballard is going to have with Irsay isn’t going to be the line it’s going to be the QB position.  Even still there is a strong case for Ballard keeping his job and that’s where I fall.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Chuck wasn't as bad as some want to believe.  He still had a winning record when he was let go. 

Yeah, plus if a coach has ANY success with a team over time after they are let go most fans tend to remember them warmly because they remember the good times that coach brought them.  It’s part of that time heals all wounds thing.

Oh I thought the Chuck haters were bad in here from 2015-2017, Frank is taking over the reigns now :thmup:

Yeah….  It was UGGGGGLY back then. 

Frank’s seat should be hot now.   I believe Irsay now that both Reich and Ballard are safe now.   But I don’t think it means a guarantee that both will be safe at the end of the season.  

Let’s see what happens in January.   At minimum, I’m expecting changes on the coaching staff.    I don’t think this is a very good staff. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah….  It was UGGGGGLY back then. 

Frank’s seat should be hot now.   I believe Irsay now that both Reich and Ballard are safe now.   But I don’t think it means a guarantee that both will be safe at the end of the season.  

Let’s see what happens in January.   At minimum, I’m expecting changes on the coaching staff.    I don’t think this is a very good staff. 

Can Sam save their job. I hope Sam turns into something good, we need some excitement and positive stuff around here.

Archived